Melbourne Football

Australia Cup QF: Metrostars vs. City, Thursday 14th September 2023, 7.30 p.m. AEST

jw1739

Clunky is the best word I can use to describe that, nothing ever looked like it was flowing. 

Defence was abysmal at times, letting them through way too easily. We only really got fully in top when they were spent.

Positive is that we won and progress and I think Arslan and Sakhi are going to be fun to watch, but we can't play that poorly and expect to win again this season 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Metro stars twitter admin trying to make us look bad #saltmuch

Maybe. But we didn't exactly please Central Coast with Jamo's pre-GF comments, and now appear to have exited after this match rather promptly - maybe we better start improving the way we go about things? Otherwise, if we aren't already, we'll be the tall poppy that everyone likes to cut down to size. 

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty clear that we need to lift our game - on and off the pitch.

Two sides to most stories, and that original tweet from Metro Stars is bait to invite a pile on about how bad City are - a pretty easy narrative for most punters to buy into. But this comes directly from Michael Petrillo's twitter account.

image.png.8d8c81fbf6e678ce39f7afdc93ae461d.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

the bloke who runs the socials for Metrostars is currently doing his best to dig himself a deep hole on Twitter.

Ever since the fixture was announced their social guy has had a very combative approach, taking a fair few pot shots at our club - which is fine, if I was in their position I'd probably do the same thing. But then for them to do a uturn and moan about us being unprofessional feels a little pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, bring on the semis. Up the City.

I don't care who said what, where, and to whom. It's unprofessional for officials of both clubs to be debating on "social" media. It's like two kids in the sandpit at kindergarten. Metrostars can behave as they wish, but as a professional football club this is NOT what City should be doing. As a Foundation Member of the club I'm very disappointed.

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't care who said what, where, and to whom. It's unprofessional for officials of both clubs to be debating on "social" media. It's like two kids in the sandpit at kindergarten. Metrostars can behave as they wish, but as a professional football club this is NOT what City should be doing. As a Foundation Member of the club I'm very disappointed.

Does the club not have a right to defend themselves when accused of a wrong doing? I see nothing wrong with what petrillo said. Metrostars just a bunch of sore lovers. Cry harder bitches.

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So just bend over and take it? As not to be seen as "unprofessional"?

Not a great game by us but I put it down to the pitch being artificial. It takes time to get used to how the ball reacts and feels different when running on it. Whilst the pen was incorrect decision as just a tangle of legs, they'd run out of puff by then and we would've put another past them soon enough. Few observations, Caputo seemed to do a lot of work so if he'd actually scored from one of those chances it would have been a good game from him. Lopane doesn't seem up to it yet, Antonis actually seemed to be more on once he came on. Sakhi and Arslan work well together, Ugarkovic was ok but looked slow on the uptake compared to O'Neill. Thought Hall did a reasonable job, and actually looked better at CB compared to Souprayen who looks pretty much like another Reis in that he's a walking mistake about to happen. Behich was good in spurts but I tend to blame him for the first goal, should have come out not backed away to the goalline. For me it was between Good and Young as bog. I think we'll see more of Shillington this year too, he'll be the next Atko, Bos I reckon

Forgot about Jakolis thought he was decent bit unlucky could have snagged a goal but was lively

47 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Does the club not have a right to defend themselves when accused of a wrong doing? I see nothing wrong with what petrillo said. Metrostars just a bunch of sore lovers. Cry harder bitches.

30 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

So just bend over and take it? As not to be seen as "unprofessional"?

A matter of opinion. I'm of a different generation, IMO debating through the media is both childish and unprofessional. I'll leave it at that.

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A matter of opinion. I'm of a different generation, IMO debating through the media is both childish and unprofessional. I'll leave it at that.

It’s fairly obvious what happened right. Metrostars lost their cool after that last minute penalty and clearly opened the social media debate themselves - if anyone is unprofessional its them. Nothing wrong with how Petrillo responded.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Hall did a reasonable job, and actually looked better at CB compared to Souprayen who looks pretty much like another Reis in that he's a walking mistake about to happen.

Souprayen doesn't appear to have much interest in tracking players running into the box, nor in closing down the passing lane to that player

• Like 1

I just hope that we have learned from these two outings against NPL1 clubs. In both cases their pacy players were able to cut us open with ease. Whilst the CFG philosophy might be to play a high possession/high pressing game, I feel that under Kisnorbo and now Rado that it's been progressively pushed too far, to the point where we don't create enough openings to actually score. It's got to the point with me that long sections of the game are actually boring - especially where we get close to the opposition goal, won't have a shot, and then play all the way back to our own back line. It's clear to all the other clubs now that the way that the way to beat us is to come out of the blocks hard and fast and play a counter-attacking game.

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just hope that we have learned from these two outings against NPL1 clubs. In both cases their pacy players were able to cut us open with ease. Whilst the CFG philosophy might be to play a high possession/high pressing game, I feel that under Kisnorbo and now Rado that it's been progressively pushed too far, to the point where we don't create enough openings to actually score. It's got to the point with me that long sections of the game are actually boring - especially where we get close to the opposition goal, won't have a shot, and then play all the way back to our own back line. It's clear to all the other clubs now that the way that the way to beat us is to come out of the blocks hard and fast and play a counter-attacking game.

We might have learned from it but you can’t change the fact that we have very little pace and closing speed at the back 5. Then in typical City playing  style; possession game in the opponent’s half with some of our full backs moved up, we will get caught out a lot.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

We might have learned from it but you can’t change the fact that we have very little pace and closing speed at the back 5. Then in typical City playing  style; possession game in the opponent’s half with some of our full backs moved up, we will get caught out a lot.

Hopefully Hall partners Good, he looked good when in CB

6 hours ago, moops said:

Hopefully Hall partners Good, he looked good when in CB

I think Hall is decent but something has gone wrong with recruitment if he is the starting centre back imo.

On Souprayen, felt like the first 60 minutes he struggled but picked up towards the last 30, wonder if it was the artificial grass as I thought he looked decent against the nix.

37 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Fingers crossed we draw melbourne Croatia today and have an easy run to the final.

I'll never go to that place again. Heart played a pre-season "friendly" there once and a Heart supporter (family man with his wife there) was roughed up by those yobbos out there. Munn at the time said we would never play them in a pre-season friendly again.