Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

On 27/1/2024 at 9:55 PM, NewConvert said:

Radioactive decay is also useful to produce a true random number generator. I worked with such devices in the 90s to produce unbreakable keys for IT equipment. These days they tend to use quantum optics.

On 27/1/2024 at 12:58 PM, belaguttman said:

Radioactive decay is predictable; that's how we can carbon date objects by measuring the level of radioactive carbon14 isotope. Adam kersey is the opposite of radioactive decay!

On 27/1/2024 at 2:13 PM, jw1739 said:

Radiocarbon dating is used mainly for organic materials up to 50,000 - 70,000 years old. 

There are other methods if you go further back. Useful table here:
https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/dating-rocks-and-fossils-using-geologic-methods-107924044/#:~:text=To establish the age of,clocks to date ancient events.

And plenty of other simple sources of information. 

It's like a modern competition, everyone gets a medal. 

• Haha 3

Turbulent times at the club.

Wheels are slowly coming off for the girls too. Lead is shrinking rapidly. Best player out with ACL. 2 starting players are on an exit transfer, another 2, Stott and Wilkinson away with NZ for a month.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Question: rate coaches/managers from best to worst. My best coach has to be WP Giancarlo Italiano and last John Aloisi at WU. Honourable mentions to Mile Sterjovski at MB and Mark Jackson at CCM.

For this season, Italiano is clearly number 1, Jackson and Sterjovski not far behind. I'd have Aloisi and Rado/Vidmar in the bottom 2. Everyone else is sort of in the middle, you can chop and change the order pretty much every week it's so even 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:13 PM, Mr MO said:

Turbulent times at the club.

Wheels are slowly coming off for the girls too. Lead is shrinking rapidly. Best player out with ACL. 2 starting players are on an exit transfer, another 2, Stott and Wilkinson away with NZ for a month.

Girls have lost the top spot now, healthy lead completely gone. Unfortunately with all the departures they haven’t won a game for a while.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/2/2024 at 4:25 PM, Le Hack said:

Simple conclusion is that it's Maclaren's poor season that has condemned us this year, that and the refusal to sub him with Caputo or try something different say like Leckie up front

It's certainly a part of it, but we've been down all over the park: down on completed passes, corners, possession, but up on goals conceded

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moops said:

I think every supporter hates when the manager keeps playing a player out of form, but if Macca  rumours are true, why keep playing him? 

IMO it's not just that he's "out of form," his strength is scoring goals and - as he admits himself - does not have the ball skills that some players have, and when he's not scoring  he's essentially a passenger.

Vidmar just hasn't shown the balls to to drop him and play Caputo instead.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it's not just that he's "out of form," his strength is scoring goals and - as he admits himself - does not have the ball skills that some players have, and when he's not scoring  he's essentially a passenger.

Vidmar just hasn't shown the balls to to drop him and play Caputo instead.

Maybe he must start when fit? Even other coaches kept playing when clearly running on one leg.

I’ve been wracking my brain about what needs to change squad wise to get back on track. Priorities:

1. A quality ball playing DM. They are the fulcrum in our style.

2. Quality wingers who are available for selection. Our system requires these players to be exceptional, if they aren’t we are in trouble.

3. A classy #8

4. A better passer at right centre back.

5. A better distributor as keeper.

we don’t have any of that right now and are trying to play a style that needs it. 

22 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

I’ve been wracking my brain about what needs to change squad wise to get back on track. Priorities:

1. A quality ball playing DM. They are the fulcrum in our style.

2. Quality wingers who are available for selection. Our system requires these players to be exceptional, if they aren’t we are in trouble.

3. A classy #8

4. A better passer at right centre back.

5. A better distributor as keeper.

we don’t have any of that right now and are trying to play a style that needs it. 

Petrillo is in charge of recruitment and contracts, not our head coach...

12 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

I know.

@D.B. CooperOf course you do. It's just something that seems to be forgotten by many. The inadequacies of the squad, such as signing players on unnecessarily long contracts, are down to him. I'm not saying Vidmar is a great coach, or that he's doing a good job, but basically his hands are tied just as Rado's were.

IMO we're in for a period of upheaval at the club, much like the Fornaroli/Joyce era.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

There's something fundamentally wrong. Partly manager, partly players, partly dressing room, but it runs much deeper and higher than any of these factors. 

We can’t say for sure, but there is certainly signs there is an underlying problem.
The player turn over from last year was massive and whilst rationale explanations were made for all, in a few cases it was easy to imagine that other stories were possible.

Our recruitment in response wasn’t great, again explainable, but still raised questions and of course a few departures since; all explainable again but now we are all starting to think the coincidences are starting to stack up.

If it is just coincidences we will see the start of sensible repairs in the next transfer window. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

There's something fundamentally wrong. Partly manager, partly players, partly dressing room, but it runs much deeper and higher than any of these factors. 

There has been "something wrong" with this club for quite a while and it is certainly a lot deeper than players and coaches. There is a total lack of passion, excitement and pride in every aspect of it.

The team fails to give joy or a belief that they will perform each week. The club is a faceless corporation. The supporters are not made to feel a part of the club. It so appears to be a business focussed on the financials. One wonders where we would be without the loyal, rusted on soccer tragics.

I know I am a miserable bugger but it frustrates me. So much that could be and isn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

There has been "something wrong" with this club for quite a while and it is certainly a lot deeper than players and coaches. There is a total lack of passion, excitement and pride in every aspect of it.

Sums it up perfectly.

Sydney is starting to hit their straps, they looked impressive last night and were enjoyable to watch.

I'm starting to feel sorry for that bloke that put money on us getting in the 6, it may not happen. We have a run of home games which we need to win, but our form is on par with the Jets atm.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

The team fails to give joy or a belief that they will perform each week. The club is a faceless corporation. The supporters are not made to feel a part of the club. It so appears to be a business focussed on the financials. One wonders where we would be without the loyal, rusted on soccer tragics.

I know I am a miserable bugger but it frustrates me. So much that could be and isn't.

We've had one bad season after so much success and suddenly the entire club is collapsing. 

No one is defending the season that we are currently having but we been very successful for what, nearly 5 seasons now. It shouldn't come as a shock that we cannot win every game of every season. Sometimes we're going to be shit and we just have to deal with it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We've had one bad season after so much success and suddenly the entire club is collapsing. 

No one is defending the season that we are currently having but we been very successful for what, nearly 5 seasons now. It shouldn't come as a shock that we cannot win every game of every season. Sometimes we're going to be shit and we just have to deal with it.

It seemed basically inevitable given no teams can be top every season. Particularly with the amount of turnover we had from last season it was going to be more likely a struggle this season than a success...

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It seemed basically inevitable given no teams can be top every season. Particularly with the amount of turnover we had from last season it was going to be more likely a struggle this season than a success...

IMO this is just rationalising the situation. No-one is expecting us to be Premiers every season, or even in the top 6, 4, 3, or 2. What we have a right to expect is obvious pride in the shirt, passion and a will to win. We just are not getting the cake we should from the ingredients we have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this is just rationalising the situation. No-one is expecting us to be Premiers every season, or even in the top 6, 4, 3, or 2. What we have a right to expect is obvious pride in the shirt, passion and a will to win. We just are not getting the cake we should from the ingredients we have.

But the ingredients are wrong and some have expired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

From last season: MCY, AU, and CCM all had significant player departure. CCM also had their entire coaching staff depart for Scotland, yet they are the only ones making a fist of it. AU and MCY have been struggling.

6 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Any finish outside the top 4-6 is completely unacceptable for our club.

The sense of defeat is creeping in with some to a point that we start finding comfort in the excuses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I agree with you to some degree. Success is never given and I would not feel comfortable with supporters who felt entitled to success. Partly this is about the scale of our collapse, and the sense of the shambolic and ill judged which surrounds it. This happens to the best of clubs and the best of supporters, so it's not existential if the club takes the right steps and recognises the root of the issues.

More than the poor results, the poor structure on the field or the revolving door selections, what flags to me that all is not right is the number of players who have just decided to up and leave (Hamza Sakhi being just the latest), the apparent tensions reported in the dressing room, and the stumbling development of the latest graduates of our youth program. All of this can be fixed if the root causes are honestly recognised.

Then the club needs to address its long term weakness, the engagement of its fans and the clubs identity. I won't resile from the fact that CFG made some fucking stupid, arrogant decisions when they first took over, with our colours and name, and we're still paying the price for that. This was particularly a problem for many UK heritage supporters who had no love for, or an actual visceral loathing for, Manchester City. Some of us stayed, some didn't. But it did break some of my instinctive connection with the club. I chose Heart because its colours were the same as my home town club. Beyond that, I want us to try and rebuild that connection and identity. I've got no magic wand solution, but connection to players, especially our home grown talent, is important. I'd rather be fighting to get in the six with a group of committed home grown youngsters than being where we are with a bunch of players we barely know, or who appear not to care.

It's been a crap season. That's OK. I've seen plenty of those supporting Walsall. What we do now, how the problems are addressed and fixed, will be what matters.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Any finish outside the top 4-6 is completely unacceptable for our club.

The sense of defeat is creeping in with some to a point that we start finding comfort in the excuses.

I'm not suggesting where we are currently is "acceptable" we really should be firmly in the top 6 this season. We've been underachieving big time this season even with our weaker squad, it's still a better squad well at least on paper than 60% of the league...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I'm not suggesting where we are currently is "acceptable" we really should be firmly in the top 6 this season. We've been underachieving big time this season even with our weaker squad, it's still a better squad well at least on paper than 60% of the league...

When people talk how good the squad is on paper what metrics are being used? Past performances?

Most of the bulk and better established players are all in their 30s and obviously past their best whilst the league just requires more that is clear. Most of the opponents we play seem to have the better of us in speed, aggressiveness and agility which often points to age.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

People keep repeating this assertion. The game is played on the field, not on paper. It's how you play next time out that counts, not your past record.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I agree with you to some degree. Success is never given and I would not feel comfortable with supporters who felt entitled to success. Partly this is about the scale of our collapse, and the sense of the shambolic and ill judged which surrounds it. This happens to the best of clubs and the best of supporters, so it's not existential if the club takes the right steps and recognises the root of the issues.

More than the poor results, the poor structure on the field or the revolving door selections, what flags to me that all is not right is the number of players who have just decided to up and leave (Hamza Sakhi being just the latest), the apparent tensions reported in the dressing room, and the stumbling development of the latest graduates of our youth program. All of this can be fixed if the root causes are honestly recognised.

Then the club needs to address its long term weakness, the engagement of its fans and the clubs identity. I won't resile from the fact that CFG made some fucking stupid, arrogant decisions when they first took over, with our colours and name, and we're still paying the price for that. This was particularly a problem for many UK heritage supporters who had no love for, or an actual visceral loathing for, Manchester City. Some of us stayed, some didn't. But it did break some of my instinctive connection with the club. I chose Heart because its colours were the same as my home town club. Beyond that, I want us to try and rebuild that connection and identity. I've got no magic wand solution, but connection to players, especially our home grown talent, is important. I'd rather be fighting to get in the six with a group of committed home grown youngsters than being where we are with a bunch of players we barely know, or who appear not to care.

It's been a crap season. That's OK. I've seen plenty of those supporting Walsall. What we do now, how the problems are addressed and fixed, will be what matters.

They need to make a policy no victory or Western united players. Why? Fook em that's why 

Another essential for APL in the future is a regular fixture. Apparently there's also an A-League home match on Tuesday, vs. WSW at 7.00 p.m.

It's Monday that's a Public Holiday in Victoria...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...