Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

"He [Joyce] is perfect with me," Arzani said. "He's quite strict on me and I think I need that as a player. He is always on my back and that helps me so much because growing up as a player – because I had a little bit of talent – I could get away with certain things. But in a professional environment you can't."

Bang on. Music to my ears hearing this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Arzani is a very very intelligent kid. He knows what the media and fans want to hear so I wouldn't erase the possibility of him wanting to move still.

Then he risks not being played at all. He may be calculating in what he says or he may be genuine. We won't know until end of season I suppose. 

Edited by n i k o

A longer version of Joyce's post-match comments about Arzani:

The teenager, raised in Sydney and Iran, dazzled in his 38-minute cameo, the longest stretch of time he's been afforded in two seasons at City to date.

Joyce said it had been a battle fitting Arzani into the side due to national team call-ups for both the under-23s and under-19s in the last six months.

"He's been away twice with Australia this season already ... he went away didn't play much, come back in poor condition," he said.

"He's a good player. I've seen his talent since I've been at the football club."

Joyce now wants to make sure Arzani makes the most of that talent - something the Englishman has vast experience in doing, having managed Manchester United Reserves under Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I've been around a lot of X-factor footballers in my coaching career and he's got that," he said.

"If he trusts us to develop him, he could be a very good player.

"If he listens to other people that have got a different agenda ... I've seen a lot of players the same as him fall by the wayside.

"There's a lot of things he's got to work on in his game and he's got to be willing to listen to the people at the football club."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/07/joyce-praises-city-young-gun-arzani

I'm sure Arzani and Joyce at least have a functional relationship: Arzani can play under Joyce, and Joyce can coach a team with Arzani in it. However, I'm not entirely convinced that Arzani and Joyce have a very good relationship. It sounds  a bit off to me.

For starters, and I would be happy to be corrected, but the 2 Australian youth team camps that Arzani participated in were the U23 camp between July 10 and July 23 (Qual. AFC U23 Championship) and and the U20 camp between November 1 and November 8 (Qual. AFC U19 Championship). I find it hard to believe that Arzani was seriously unfit between the 8th of November and the 6th of January. Especially given that the team was in a dire run from the start of November until last night--with 6 losses, 1 draw and 2 wins over 9 games--I really doubt that Arzani was so unfit as to deserve next to no game-time for about 2 months until last night. Also given that McCormack walked straight into the team and played one week after signing, despite not playing competitive football for many months and having genuinely serious concerns surrounding his fitness, it shows that Joyce doesn't demand 100% high levels of fitness from every player.

By the way, let me be clear, I'm happy that McCormack was picked to play. I believe the best and most useful players should normally be picked to play, unless there are some serious factors counting against them. And just as McCormarck was picked to play (despite the obvious fitness concerns), I believe that Arzani should have been given more game-time well before last night (even "if" he didn't have the highest of fitness levels).

• Like 1

I think this sounds like a common Joyce problem where it's his way only. Wether he's talking about Cahill, Valkanis, Pala or the National youth coaches, joyce thinks they are all wrong and Arzani wont be a good player unless he plays Waz's way only

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

"He [Joyce] is perfect with me," Arzani said. "He's quite strict on me and I think I need that as a player. He is always on my back and that helps me so much because growing up as a player – because I had a little bit of talent – I could get away with certain things. But in a professional environment you can't."

Bang on. Music to my ears hearing this.

"I've been around a lot of X-factor footballers in my coaching career and he's got that," he (Joyce) said.

"If he trusts us to develop him, he could be a very good player.

"If he listens to other people that have got a different agenda ... I've seen a lot of players the same as him fall by the wayside.

"There's a lot of things he's got to work on in his game and he's got to be willing to listen to the people at the football club."

Just illustrates how important it is to hear both sides of a debate and get as close as possible to what was actually said rather than jump to conclusions based on some journo's paraphrasing. Both Joyce and Arzani are singing from the same songsheet.

• Like 1

The problem is lack of fitness leads to injures quite often. While I agree that Wazza might be dodging some questions using that excuse, it is possible that Arzani had been simply protected. With Mauk and Kamau leaving he could have his chances.

BUT. If Arzani will be on the bench for the whole next game, then I will be questioning Wazza's honesty in his reasoning.

Unless of course we will be up 1:0, got Muscat or Malik red carded and we will need to introduce defensive player.  :)

Yes Arzani created the 2 goals for Ross, but the match situation allowed him to be ultra attacking. He still lost the ball on numerous occasions and made turnovers that created goal scoring chances for the Nux.

Id like to see him start and see if he can adjust his game based on the required level of risk vs reward. He seems clever enough so hopefully he stays grounded and uses this opportunity to learn, play some serious minutes, and use the  right moments that will come where he can use his natural talent to create chances.

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Yes Arzani created the 2 goals for Ross, but the match situation allowed him to be ultra attacking. He still lost the ball on numerous occasions and made turnovers that created goal scoring chances for the Nux.

Id like to see him start and see if he can adjust his game based on the required level of risk vs reward. He seems clever enough so hopefully he stays grounded and uses this opportunity to learn, play some serious minutes, and use the  right moments that will come where he can use his natural talent to create chances.

Agree and that's why it'll be interesting to see him start. But given like you say the match situation called for ultra attacking play then he can be forgiven for losing the ball at times? 

Anyway for a winger/number 10 I don't think his stats were too bad actually! All I want to see him do more often is when he does lose the ball to work hard to get it back which he sometimes didn't do during that game.

xHm8WaN.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Agree and that's why it'll be interesting to see him start. But given like you say the match situation called for ultra attacking play then he can be forgiven for losing the ball at times? 

Anyway for a winger/number 10 I don't think his stats were too bad actually! All I want to see him do more often is when he does lose the ball to work hard to get it back which he sometimes didn't do during that game.

xHm8WaN.png

His biggest knock is that he's a rubbish passer imo. But having an attacker that runs at defenders makes such a difference to your front three (a la Novillo) you nearly take that and go for it imo, and in training work him hard on his deficiencies.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I take all the points being made about Daniel Arzani. But, by Christ, wasn't he a breath of fresh air blowing through what up to then had been a miserable showing by our so-called star-studded team? 

Totally agree.

Arzani should start in front of all our attacking players bar Ross as to call any of the rest of our front third star studded is laughable.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

His biggest knock is that he's a rubbish passer imo. But having an attacker that runs at defenders makes such a difference to your front three (a la Novillo) you nearly take that and go for it imo, and in training work him hard on his deficiencies.

Funny enough I watched the game again from when Arzani came on and most of his passes hit the target which suprised me a bit as I had that same perception about him from the game. 

• Like 2

Melbourne City teenager Daniel Arzani set for starting role

David Davutovic

January 8, 2018

MELBOURNE City teen Daniel Arzani looks set to be rewarded for his stunning impact role with a start in Tuesday’s away clash to struggling Perth Glory.

Arzani flipped last Saturday’s game on its head just two days after his 19th birthday, coming on and pinning shellshocked Wellington back before setting up both Ross McCormack goals in the 2-1 win.

City coach Warren Joyce revealed that teen midfielder Connor Metcalfe, 18, will “get minutes very shortly” though he resisted the lure of taking him west with the youth team playing on Monday.

Joyce had no reservations about Arzani after his starring 37-minute Phoenix cameo. After nine substitute appearances totalling 137 minutes since his debut last season, the coach revealed that the X-factor player was pushing for a maiden A-League start.

“I think he (Arzani) has got to be considered for that (a start). Obviously he did very well when he came on, did what we asked him to do,’’ Joyce said.

“He’s a good, intelligent kid, he’s desperate to be a successful player and we’ve just got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working the right way and aim towards being a top player.

“You chat to him all the time. There’s been demands on him from the first week of pre-season. You recognise talent and X-factor talent. Talent alone not used in the right way isn’t enough. I’ve seen that numerous times.

“There’s young players that you’ve not seen yet that can play in the A-League, I see it on a daily basis.

“You don’t want kids to just come in, play one game and disappear. You want them to turn one game into five, turn five into 20 and then their careers are up and running.

“Young players are fearless as well, because they don’t know any different and it helps the competition.”

Joyce, who has coached Manchester United’s youth team and Championship side Wigan Atheltic, was relishing the quick turnaround having become accustomed to England’s Saturday-Tuesday games.

City’s only tactical session pre-Glory was on Monday night after landing in Perth, having spent Sunday in recovery mode.

Joyce revealed that in-form striker McCormack, who took his season tally to 10, had pulled up well and was expected to start despite being nursed in recent weeks due to a knee injury.

“He’s used to doing that in England – Saturday-Tuesday is the norm for him, that’s not the issue. The issue was if the knee was up to it,’’ he said.

“He has pulled up okay. He’s better than he was after the last two games. We’re a bit more confident this weekend than the other two weekends.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-teenager-daniel-arzani-set-for-starting-role/news-story/da0dbebd0b569f4e599bc2ac38e868c2

8 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Playing McCormack when not match fit is not comparable to playing Arzani when not match fit.  McCormack is Championship scoring full international striker, Arzani is an 18 year old kid.

This goes against Warren Joyce's own mantra that every player (from Cahill to Atkinson) is equal, which Joyce has repeated from the start of the season to now:

"You've got to give people a chance," he said on Friday.

"If I was asking you to do something and you did it to the best of your abilities and were successful, you'd be pretty disappointed if you were fired off for somebody else to do your job.

"If you're looking for consistency and to be known for something and have a culture, you've got to start somewhere."

Joyce's selection policy allows no exceptions, even for Cahill.

"Tim's had a fantastic career and still has plenty more things he wants to achieve in his career (but) he's just another player at the club and it's the same as everybody else," Joyce said.

"I would imagine its frustrating for him and frustrating for me (and) the group but he's been conducting himself and training well and that's all you can do as a player."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/10/27/joyce-keeping-citys-big-names-grounded

In a sign that Budzinski was off the pace of regular City midfielders Stefan Mauk, Luke Brattan and Osama Malik, Joyce compared Budzinski’s claim to a first-team place with teenagers.

“Everyone is in a competition. Josh Cavallo, Nathaniel Atkinson, Connor Metcalfe ... I just judge them the same as anybody else at the club,” he said.

“It’s the ones who are absolutely flat out every day (that are selected) and if they get the chance they have to make the most of it.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/whats-going-on-with-outoffavour-melbourne-city-marquee-marcin-budzinski/news-story/7eebeefe941ef0b60aafda4356db5d33

So, taking Joyce literally at his word, things of crucial importance for selection are: 1) A high level of fitness, and 2) being "absolutely flat out every day" at training, and everyone is "the same" (reputation, age, marquee status are all irrelevant).

I personally think Joyce has been inconsistent with his own selection criteria (e.g. playing a not very fit McCormack, while never considering an allegedly not very fit Arzani). Also, I'd say Joyce has had his favourites this season, whose playing time has seemed unconnected to these suggested objective selection criteria.  

My preference is for a more pragmatic approach. Just play your best and most important players. I think that's better than stating all these criteria for selection in the media, and then maybe breaking your own rules every now and again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

This goes against Warren Joyce's own mantra that every player (from Cahill to Atkinson) is equal, which Joyce has repeated from the start of the season to now:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/10/27/joyce-keeping-citys-big-names-grounded

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/whats-going-on-with-outoffavour-melbourne-city-marquee-marcin-budzinski/news-story/7eebeefe941ef0b60aafda4356db5d33

So, taking Joyce literally at his word, things of crucial importance for selection are: 1) A high level of fitness, and 2) being "absolutely flat out every day" at training, and everyone is "the same" (reputation, age, marquee status are all irrelevant).

I personally think Joyce has been inconsistent with his own selection criteria (e.g. playing a not very fit McCormack, while never considering an allegedly not very fit Arzani). Also, I'd say Joyce has had his favourites this season, whose playing time has seemed unconnected to these suggested objective selection criteria.  

My preference is for a more pragmatic approach. Just play your best and most important players. I think that's better than stating all these criteria for selection in the media, and then maybe breaking your own rules every now and again.

I agree with this but, and it's a big but, you can't compare a central striker in Ross and say Arzani should get a look in over him for the simple reason that they  play different positions. As such Ross position should not be in jeopardy as a result unless someone of equal standing (another central striker) is deserved. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I agree with this but, and it's a big but, you can't compare a central striker in Ross and say Arzani should get a look in over him for the simple reason that they  play different positions. As such Ross position should not be in jeopardy as a result unless someone of equal standing (another central striker) is deserved. 

Also I'd add that although Joyce might not be rigidly adhering to his mantra in the case of McCormack, there's not very much point in bringing a Championship striker here on a short-term injury-replacement contract and then not playing him.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Also I'd add that although Joyce might not be rigidly adhering to his mantra in the case of McCormack, there's not very much point in bringing a Championship striker here on a short-term injury-replacement contract and then not playing him.

Whilst true, I agree completely, I think that's Murphys point that this shouldn't matter based off what Wazza has said.  

My point from the start was that Arzani should have been getting more minutes before Saturday's game.

Another point I'll raise now is that Arzani is out of contract in June this year, which means that this month he can start talking with other A-League clubs about playing for them once this season is finished (actually, I think Arzani [and other players leaving contract at the end of this season] is entitled to do that now). So, the overall relationship between Joyce and Arzani is actually rather important. While I think that earlier report this month about Arzani's people talking with Sydney clubs was rubbish, and that Twitter post about Arzani being "happy" here is closer to the truth, Arzani's contract situation is nothing to be complacent about. And I reckon after Arzani plays another game like his match against Wellington we should get him to sign on the dotted line, and secure him at our club for the future.

A final thing I'd say is that Melbourne City has certainly not been leading the league with regards to giving young players minutes this season (from a Windley piece on Saturday): 

2q3ah6t.jpg

Tongyik has made the bench 7 times and not played, Denis Genreau and Metcalfe haven't made the bench or played a minute this season, Najjarine has made the bench 1 time (3-1 loss against Brisbane) but didn't play,  Crowley has played 16 minutes over 3 appearances, Arzani had 2 late substitution appearances (before the last game), while Atkinson is the young player who has played with most having started 3 games and having been subbed on 1 time (before the last game) [full current stats here].

So despite being Mr. Man United youth coach, Joyce doesn't have the runs on the board at our club for youth yet. With our strong youth side, which is going for it's 3rd Championship over 4 years in the Y-League/NYL this month, it would be good to see our younger players getting a few more minutes (especially on dry runs with 6 losses and 1 draw over 9 games), so it is never in doubt that young talents like Arzani will stay at the club for years to come.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

My point from the start was that Arzani should have been getting more minutes before Saturday's game.

Another point I'll raise now is that Arzani is out of contract in June this year, which means that this month he can start talking with other A-League clubs about playing for them once this season is finished (actually, I think Arzani [and other players leaving contract at the end of this season] is entitled to do that now). So, the overall relationship between Joyce and Arzani is actually rather important. While I think that earlier report this month about Arzani's people talking with Sydney clubs was rubbish, and that Twitter post about Arzani being "happy" here is closer to the truth, Arzani's contract situation is nothing to be complacent about. And I reckon after Arzani plays another game like his match against Wellington we should get him to sign on the dotted line, and secure him at our club for the future.

A final thing I'd say is that Melbourne City has certainly not been leading the league with regards to giving young players minutes this season (from a Windley piece on Saturday): 

2q3ah6t.jpg

Tongyik has made the bench 7 times and not played, Denis Genreau and Metcalfe haven't made the bench or played a minute this season, Najjarine has made the bench 1 time (3-1 loss against Brisbane) but didn't play,  Crowley has played 16 minutes over 3 appearances, Arzani had 2 late substitution appearances (before the last game), while Atkinson is the young player who has played with most having started 3 games and having been subbed on 1 time (before the last game) [full current stats here].

So despite being Mr. Man United youth coach, Joyce doesn't have the runs on the board at our club for youth yet. With our strong youth side, which is going for it's 3rd Championship over 4 years in the Y-League/NYL this month, it would be good to see our younger players getting a few more minutes (especially on dry runs with 6 losses and 1 draw over 9 games), so it is never in doubt that young talents like Arzani will stay at the club for years to come.

With due respect and whilst acknowledging those stats, i think they are a bit misleading given our squad depth. It was only 6 or so weeks ago we were unable to fit a swathe of good players in to the game day squad, let alone the XI.
It's prob another argument all together whether our approach is the correct one in regards to batting so deep and the subsequent effect on youth game time, but i think the lack of opportunities for youngsters this season in particular is more to do with them having to earn it here, as opposed to being gifted it at quite a few of the other clubs. 

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

With due respect and whilst acknowledging those stats, i think they are a bit misleading given our squad depth. It was only 6 or so weeks ago we were unable to fit a swathe of good players in to the game day squad, let alone the XI.
It's prob another argument all together whether our approach is the correct one in regards to batting so deep and the subsequent effect on youth game time, but i think the lack of opportunities for youngsters this season in particular is more to do with them having to earn it here, as opposed to being gifted it at quite a few of the other clubs. 

It's a fair point about selection. And definitely over the first 4 rounds (and arguably over the first 6 or 7 rounds), on selection perhaps no young players should have been picked on merit. However, since mid-November, and truer still by mid-December with Cahill and Brandan having departed, Carrusca being injured, and Malik and Muscat getting suspended, it's been less true that some more players (including young players) shouldn't be in the mix for game time.

The point I was actually making was larger than selection: if Melbourne City wants to keep quality young players, then the club needs to do things to incentivise them to stay at Melbourne City. Often playing young players (and developing something of a reputation for doing so) is probably the most common way to encourage young players to stay. The risk of developing quality young players, to only have them leave and play for your A-League opposition next season is very real. So I'm hoping Melbourne City manages to get it just right, and takes a few effective steps to keep quality quality young players here (giving them a reasonable amount of game time is one good strategy, while maybe the club could do other smart things too. Leveraging the Man City connection, and having Arzani visit or trial Man City before he joined up with us seems like another smart idea too IMO).

Edited by Murfy1

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Kenny Lowe gave him a pasting in his post match presser Saying Italiano is a much better talent 

This sort of comment by Lowe really pisses me off. Why can't we play and watch football and recognise exciting new talents, whatever colour shirt they happen to be wearing?
One thing I like about Joyce is that he always acknowledges that our opposition has talented players and is well-organised - he even mentioned that Perth have a good manager!
Our game needs positive publicity if it is to grow. It isn't helpful that an A-League manager seems to find it necessary to put down an emerging talent like Arzani.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This sort of comment by Lowe really pisses me off. Why can't we play and watch football and recognise exciting new talents, whatever colour shirt they happen to be wearing?
One thing I like about Joyce is that he always acknowledges that our opposition has talented players and is well-organised - he even mentioned that Perth have a good manager!
Our game needs positive publicity if it is to grow. It isn't helpful that an A-League manager seems to find it necessary to put down an emerging talent like Arzani.

For me, that skinny prick is the most hated manager after bambi.

3 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Kenny Lowe gave him a pasting in his post match presser Saying Italiano is a much better talent 

I'd take Italiano over Arzani any day, Lowe says

Daniel Arzani is the Melbourne City whiz kid ready to take the A-League by storm, but Perth Glory coach Kenny Lowe says he would rather have Jacob Italiano in his side.

Arzani tormented Glory on Tuesday night in City's 2-0 win at nib Stadium.

The 19-year-old set up both of Ross McCormack's first-half strikes by drawing fouls from Glory's befuddled defenders.

Arzani also set up McCormack's double in the 2-1 win over Wellington last week.

Lowe was impressed by Arzani's flashy skills.

But he said the Iranian-born midfielder had nothing on Glory's own gem - Italiano.

The 16-year-old Glory midfielder has lit up the A-League since making his debut in round seven.

His form was so impressive, it even caught the attention of Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach, who flew him to Germany in December to strike a deal.

Italiano will stay at Glory until he is 18 before joining the German club.

Wonderkid Arzani and McCormack torment Perth as City down Glory

Melbourne City whiz kid Daniel Arzani was public enemy No.1 as Ross McCormack scored a double to guide his team to a 2-0 victory over Perth Glory at nib Stadium.

"He (Arzani) looks alright," Lowe said.

"He's exciting. He goes at people. He's a dribbler.

"He looks nice on the ball. But I think there's other facets to the game that even their gaffer has eluded to that he needs to work at.

"I'd take Italiano all day. He's got the attributes to be a complete player."

Arzani was widely booed by Glory fans after winning a controversial penalty in the 36th minute.

The fleet-footed midfielder went down from minimum contact as he tried to squeeze in between Jeremy Walker and Andreu.

Glory players were adamant it was a dive, and Lowe agreed.

"I thought he went down cheaply for the penalty. He had his swimming trunks on underneath his shorts," Lowe said with a wry smile.

Arzani, who was only making his first start against Glory, has been reportedly frustrated at his lack of opportunities at City.

Reports have surfaced that Arzani is eyeing a move to either Sydney FC or Western Sydney Wanderers at the end of this season.

Arzani copped a series of heavy tackles against Glory.

But City coach Warren Joyce said that treatment was just part and parcel of being a flashy player.

"If you're a dribbler, you're going to get mistimed tackles against you," Joyce said.

"I thought there were some big hits. I like watching rugby league. But if you put some of them in slow motion, they were big hits."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/10/id-take-italiano-over-arzani-any-day-lowe-says

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Some of the tackles he copped after the penalty were disgraceful, and after the goal he was given very little protection by the ref.  Its a shame that in the A-League this type of tactic is an acceptable way for some teams to deal with young kid that show a bit of talent.

Agreed, but the ref is of the even up school. He internalised that he stuffed up the penalty decision (not so sure he did tbh, but he certainly let the on field protests and crowd reaction get to him), then gave licence to those tackles as a way of letting Glory even it up. Bloody stupid, as careers get ended like that. There are several teams in this league who will try to intimidate their way back into a game, and Perth, along with Victory and Roar, are amongst the worst offenders.  And yes, the irony of some players on the Glory side whinging about simulation...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Some of the tackles he copped after the penalty were disgraceful, and after the goal he was given very little protection by the ref.  Its a shame that in the A-League this type of tactic is an acceptable way for some teams to deal with young kid that show a bit of talent.

As we saw with Fernando Brandan, when you go down easy, you'll cop shit for doing so. Plus no ref likes being conned, so you need to take the good with the bad for going down light.

I remember watching many a game, where one of our players have chopped a silky opponet. It sucks but part of the game. 

Edit: in saying that the game has to ensure any inappropriate foul is punished according to the impact and degree of the offence - big difference between studs up tackles and a shirt tug

Edited by mattyh001