Melbourne Football

Manny Muscat

alexli

Was going to say that perhaps this signing is more to add some depth in our squad seeing he is quite a versatile player. Nothing to write home about and potential seat warmer and someone to bring on in case of injuries etc. At least this time round we are didn't swap him for another player as I am still spewing becuase we gave up Stefan Mauk

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm surprised at you Murf, you're usually so positive. He looks like a serviceable signing to me - has missed only 2-4 matches per season going back to 2009/10. Reasonably versatile, not a visa player, and probably doesn't command a big wage. Not likely to be called up for any international duties either so will be available all the time. One of our biggest weaknesses to me is that we rarely have a bench that looks like it can add value in the last 30 minutes of a match (in fact, quite the opposite), but here's a defender we could bring on and actually add value, and can start as required.

It is being assumed that he'll be a bench/depth player for us next season. If Manny Muscat does go from the Wellington Phoenix starting lineup to our bench, then he's a good signing.

But I'm a bit weary of being presumptuous. Only Chapman, Malik and Clisby are signed for next season. Chapman will probably start, Malik will probably play in midfield and Clisby will probably not start. Also, Aaron Hughes will leave the club, and Kisnorbo and Zullo are out of contract at the end of the season and it's uncertain whether both will be around next season.

So until I see some quality defensive signings, I'm weary that Muscat will start more often than not. And while I do think he's a good and underrated A-League defender, I'm doubtful that we can build a top A-League defence around him that can challenge for silverware.

If we re-sign Wilkinson for next season, as well as Zullo (or another quality LB like, say, Behich), then I'll change my tune. But until then I won't be confident that the defence will have a much improved future, as there's still a lot of uncertainty surrounding next season's defence (with Wilkinson, Hughes, Kisnorbo and Zullo coming out of contract) to be confident in next season's defence ATM.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Trust me you would be still saying the same things as you are now. He just has no tactical nous and that is why we can't string 2 wins together at the moment.

To be fair, if my boss told me I was getting the sack at the end of the year I wouldn't exactly work my hardest...

• Like 1

Got to admit I had a brief shock when I read the WA Today headline "Muscat in shock switch to Melbourne City".

Still don't know enough about A-League players to know whether I like this move or not so I'll reserve my opinion and listen to you guys instead. That said, the sources I've read mostly seemed to keep referring back to his discipline record. Should we be worried?

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

Trust me you would be still saying the same things as you are now. He just has no tactical nous and that is why we can't string 2 wins together at the moment.

Eh, his subs have been confusing and often not thought out, but the reason this season is going down the pan is because the players are either day dreaming of their future under Pep or know they have no future under him and are already looking at moves away. We had to go for Pep when he became available or we would have lost him, but it's the board and the players at fault mostly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, japiedog said:

signed to appeal to the Maltese Community to come on board....

oh shit we did that with Mifsud , look what happened there

I think a good solid signing

We will swap next season then?

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

We'll swap next season then?

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Probably wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion that this signing may signal the end of Paddy. 

I think it's reasonable to assume that the gaffer tape that's been holding Paddy together is showing signs of extreme wear. For all his faults he still has been a top servant for our club.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, silva10 said:

FFS why would you want Pellegrini? He's doing his very best to fuck us up this season!

Well, he's actually won trophies as a manager (even in South America which JvS couldn't even get close to doing in Mexico) while JVS hasn't finished above 6th in the A-League and doesn't even have a section for honours as "Manager" on wikipedia.

Edited by hakz7

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

Well, he's actually won trophies as a manager (even in South America which JvS couldn't even get close to doing in Mexico) while JVS hasn't finished above 6th in the A-League and doesn't even have a section for honours as "Manager" on wikipedia.

Pellegrini got Malaga to the Champions League semi-finals. He recruited well and was tactically good. He's coached Real Madrid and did as well or badly as any other coach handed that poisoned chalice. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Pellegrini got Malaga to the Champions League semi-finals. He recruited well and was tactically good. He's coached Real Madrid and did as well or badly as any other coach handed that poisoned chalice. 

Pellegrini is a great manager. Don't judge him on man city. Although I think maybe the game has passed by him a little bit ( like Wenger and Van Gaal)

depending on wage, I'm happy with this signing. I like old school centre backs that tackle hard and kick it into row z if the team is under pressure. I'm quite sick of seeing us get stuck in possession playing it out from the back

43 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

52.1% win record over 587 matches as a manager isn't bad...

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

It's all relative though isn't it? Club environment, level of recruitment, money, club ambition etc. all play a part in the success of a coach. 

I'd have said "conditional", but yes, it is. But does a manager just accept the conditions that he finds himself in, or does he go out there and contribute to the creation of the conditions required for success? IMO a track record of 52% wins says the latter.

On 03/03/2016 at 8:29 PM, Murfy1 said:

It is being assumed that he'll be a bench/depth player for us next season. If Manny Muscat does go from the Wellington Phoenix starting lineup to our bench, then he's a good signing.

But I'm a bit weary of being presumptuous. Only Chapman, Malik and Clisby are signed for next season. Chapman will probably start, Malik will probably play in midfield and Clisby will probably not start. Also, Aaron Hughes will leave the club, and Kisnorbo and Zullo are out of contract at the end of the season and it's uncertain whether both will be around next season.

So until I see some quality defensive signings, I'm weary that Muscat will start more often than not. And while I do think he's a good and underrated A-League defender, I'm doubtful that we can build a top A-League defence around him that can challenge for silverware.

If we re-sign Wilkinson for next season, as well as Zullo (or another quality LB like, say, Behich), then I'll change my tune. But until then I won't be confident that the defence will have a much improved future, as there's still a lot of uncertainty surrounding next season's defence (with Wilkinson, Hughes, Kisnorbo and Zullo coming out of contract) to be confident in next season's defence ATM.

I'm with you, Murf. He's a solid player, not a superstar, so whether he is a good signing or not depends almost entirely on what the squad around him looks like. He's a good signing in that he's tough and quite versatile.

• Like 1

I would actually prefer for CFG to begin looking at bringing an AFC visa player from next season. I know that the FFA has postponed the requirements of a 3+1 visa players till after the 2017/18 season but I think that it would give the club a marketing edge. Mind you, the player must be quality.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I would actually prefer for CFG to begin looking at bringing an AFC visa player from next season. I know that the FFA has postponed the requirements of a 3+1 visa players till after the 2017/18 season but I think that it would give the club a marketing edge. Mind you, the player must be quality.

Saf.

51 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Luring a big Asian name is going to be hard though considering how financially competitive the Asian football region is, especially of late. 

Honda would be the dream but I wouldn't mind trying to get someone like Akhmedov from Uzbekistan (box to box midfielder who plays in Russia) or maybe even Hasebe from Japan given he's aging a bit

9 hours ago, raw10 said:

saw the match between the nix and the reds, god help us if this guy becomes a regular in our squad.. I am not sure what CFG is thinking..

If this guy has been signed as a squaddie why do it now? Plenty of time for that when the rest of the side has been put together.

If he is on low wages why did he accept now? Surely he'd see if he could get a better deal, or even a real job?

I  concerned that we see him as a key part of the squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

If this guy has been signed as a squaddie why do it now? Plenty of time for that when the rest of the side has been put together.

If he is on low wages why did he accept now? Surely he'd see if he could get a better deal, or even a real job?

I  concerned that we see him as a key part of the squad.

I think it was because he already announced that he wanted to move back home to Melbourne so City must've acted quick.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Move over Jack Clisby, it would seem next season's scapegoat has already been cemented. This would have to be some kind of record too, seeing as it's about 6 months before he'll actually play a competitive game for us

We signed and announced Andrew Redmayne at round about the same stage of the season before his actual contract commenced. And Aaron Mooy had some sort of conditional agreement with us even earlier - well before Aloisi left as coach.

I see Muscat as a sound squad player - and certainly a better deal than Aaron Hughes.

In terms of "early signings" we've never really had a good start to a season, and if we can get a decent squad together well before the season starts maybe we can get off to a flyer for once. I hope we've already got plenty of contacts going in terms of players for next season.