Melbourne Football

Manny Muscat

alexli

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We signed and announced Andrew Redmayne at round about the same stage of the season before his actual contract commenced. And Aaron Mooy had some sort of conditional agreement with us even earlier - well before Aloisi left as coach.

I see Muscat as a sound squad player - and certainly a better deal than Aaron Hughes.

In terms of "early signings" we've never really had a good start to a season, and if we can get a decent squad together well before the season starts maybe we can get off to a flyer for once. I hope we've already got plenty of contacts going in terms of players for next season.

Haha my record reference was more in regards to his seeming appointment as the forum scapegoat this far out from him actually joining the team.

I agree in regards to him being a sound signing and think that writing him off after a poor performance is pretty hilarious. The guy isn't an amazing player but he's forged a pretty sound career in the league and is good addition to the squad. He can play across a number of positions and has got a bit of cunt to him, a quality which is lacking a with us. The club seem to be deliberately seeking seasoned pro's who can come in and contribute on the field as well as aiming to build a stronger culture in the locker room, which I'm all for.

As long as we're not looking to rely on him as a locked in starter week in and week out I don't see an issue with it. Drawing conclusions based on the timing of the signing is just fear mongering and jumping to pointless negative conclusions with very little basis, recruitment and squad building under the current regime has been pretty sound so far and I'll back them on this decision.

Also agree with your point about getting a squad together nice and early before the season, giving them time to gel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

If this guy has been signed as a squaddie why do it now? Plenty of time for that when the rest of the side has been put together.

If he is on low wages why did he accept now? Surely he'd see if he could get a better deal, or even a real job?

I  concerned that we see him as a key part of the squad.

He has a house in Melbourne, probably tenanted, he needs to give notice to the tenants, organise schools for kids. Other players need to school their kids too but he's moving back here for good, not just for a year or two. Its only decent to give him some certainty and time to organise his life. Manny would have been a regular starting player at Heart, hopefully nobody is a certain starting player now

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

If this guy has been signed as a squaddie why do it now? Plenty of time for that when the rest of the side has been put together.

If he is on low wages why did he accept now? Surely he'd see if he could get a better deal, or even a real job?

I  concerned that we see him as a key part of the squad.

Muscat doesnt need the money what so ever. He is moving back home to be closer to his family and with his wife expecting a 3rd child do you really blame him? He wanted to move back a year or two ago but nothing came out of the negotiations.

46 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He has a house in Melbourne, probably tenanted, he needs to give notice to the tenants, organise schools for kids. Other players need to school their kids too but he's moving back here for good, not just for a year or two. Its only decent to give him some certainty and time to organise his life. Manny would have been a regular starting player at Heart, hopefully nobody is a certain starting player now

His wife spends more time in Melbourne then she does in NZ. I might be mistaken but I think his kids arnt of school age.

19 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

His wife spends more time in Melbourne then she does in NZ. I might be mistaken but I think his kids arnt of school age.

But they soon will be. If he wants to send them to a private school then (depending on the school) he would have had to enrol them immediately post conception!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, japiedog said:

solid professional

knows his job and role,

does what he is supposed to do

I think he's been a good signing

Agree. Really pleasantly surprised. 1 point though playing left back, a couple times last night when he ran out of short options and went long with his left foot the ball ended up being a bit short or missed it's target. I would take that any day though as he was much more solid than Rose has been. 

Long term not sure about LB.

Let's not go overboard. Was easily beaten early on for what should've been a tap in. Aside from that he was decent. Has been serviceable since day dot really.

Would like him better if we were playing a back 4 and he had a bit more cover for when he gets skinned. Still think we're very light-on at the back. Garrucio totally skinned him 2 weeks ago for Adelaide's equaliser. It's going to happen again and we need to be ready for it - more than 1 CB, actual man marking, a competent goalkeeper, etc.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, n i k o said:

He was average or just below for most of the game. But I don't care because that goal/result overrides it.

It was probably his worst showing for the year until the goal, but as you say, the goal and result overrides it all.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Probably our most important player, with dean 'distributing' bouzanis just behind him

Think his goal is clouding your judgement. This is not a payout but simple facts, he was out of position a number of times (on the worng side of his marker), and made some errors during the game that fortunately didn't get exposed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Think his goal is clouding your judgement. This is not a payout but simple facts, he was out of position a number of times (on the worng side of his marker), and made some errors during the game that fortunately didn't get exposed. 

I disagree.

On 04/12/2017 at 1:19 PM, n i k o said:

True, but i think as evidence from his goal he is simply being played out of position.

He should be moved up to right wing, and then move fitzy to rb. It sounds like a good combo to me

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...