Melbourne Football

Nick Fitzgerald

jw1739

41 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

He scored about 5 minutes after Zullo was subbed and he was moved to RW as well.

Deserves more of a run starting at RW.

Big credit to Fitzgerald. He's doing a top job and is making the most of his chances.

Did we change into a 433 when Melling came on and Fitzy moved to the right?

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Did we change into a 433 when Melling came on and Fitzy moved to the right?

I'd say we were technically in a 4-3-3 in attack all game, originally with Zullo, Fornaroli, Novillo as the front 3 and Malik, Mooy, Fitzgerald in midfield. However, we definitely played a very effective flat 4-4-2 in defence. And given that Adelaide had 60% possession, Melbourne City were in a 4-4-2 for the vast majority of the match.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd say we were technically in a 4-3-3 in attack all game, originally with Zullo, Fornaroli, Novillo as the front 3 and Malik, Mooy, Fitzgerald in midfield. However, we definitely played a very effective flat 4-4-2 in defence. And given that Adelaide had 60% possession, Melbourne City were in a 4-4-2 for the vast majority of the match.

Really hard to figure out formations on TV, but I thought we were a diamond 442 for most of the game?  Zullo wasn't on the left wing much anyway.  Surley Malik played as a DM all night, so we weren't a flat midfield in defence, though i think maybe more of a flat 3 with a DM?

As to possession haven't seen the numbers I would have said we edged it in the 2nd half (though they had a lot more when Isasis came on and started doing pointless 1-2s with their keeper.)?  In any case the vast majority of their possession was non-threatening meaningless stuff.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Really hard to figure out formations on TV, but I thought we were a diamond 442 for most of the game?  Zullo wasn't on the left wing much anyway.  Surley Malik played as a DM all night, so we weren't a flat midfield in defence, though i think maybe more of a flat 3 with a DM?

As to possession haven't seen the numbers I would have said we edged it in the 2nd half (though they had a lot more when Isasis came on and started doing pointless 1-2s with their keeper.)?  In any case the vast majority of their possession was non-threatening meaningless stuff.

Yeah it was very difficult to say Melbourne City played a particular formation last night, especially when the team was in attack. JVS said post-match that the plan after winning the ball was to play early balls to Novillo and Fornaroli (pretty much, just quickly counterattack), and have Zullo and Fitzgerald quickly get up the pitch and provide support. The net result was that the team got very stretched in possession and seemingly didn't play with a clear formation in attack all game (except maybe after the 70th minute, where Zullo was subbed for Melling and Novillo seemd to play a bit more as a left winger).

Anyway this was the formation I mostly saw the team in:

1zq9dh0.jpg

A standard (flat) 4-4-2, with Fornaroli and Novillo as the front 2, and Zullo, Mooy, Malik and Fitzgerald as the midfield 4. 

I'm certain this is how the team played in defence last night. After watching the game again, I'm now thinking that the closest thing to a formation that the team played in attack was 4-4-2. Maybe a 4-4-2 diamond is the best description of the attack, as Mooy often moved upfield 15 or so metres away from Malik into a no. 10 position (while Mooy was generally alongside in the flate 4-4-2 in defence), and Novillo was mostly central near Fornaroli in attack. However, I'd say that Zullo and Fitzgerald were generally pretty wide in attack near the touchlines, which isn't too normal with a 4-4-2 diamond.

A general comment I'd make about the team's attack is that it used a lot of width all game. Zullo (especially in the first half) and Fitzgerald often made runs down the flanks, and Franjic and Garuccio were constantly bombing upfield and overlapping in attack. This all overlaps with JVS's post-match comments about playing early balls and transitioning quickly with lots of players attacking (I'd wager that our goals in our earlier 4-2 win against Adelaide this season were the inspiration for these tactics). 

All up I thoroughly agree that it was a defensive masterclass, and Sorensen only had 2 regulation saves to make all game. Blunting Adelaide's attack--the form team of the comp who were impressively unbeaten in 14, and doing so on the road--is a huge achievement for Melbourne City, which usually wins games with its attack in spite of its defence. As Galekovic said post-match, we nullified them. The defence has truly improved out of sight in recent games, and with that happening it looks like the final puzzle piece is falling into place. Melbourne City's football is ticking every box ATM.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not convinced. Gamiero should be first choice for that position unless we sign a visa player. I suppose he can play wing or midfield but apart from that goal (and a great goal BTW) his balls into the final third are pretty poor. He reminds me of Willo or Mate

I can't wait for Gamerio to get back. I know when he finally did this season he was very rusty but you could see the talent (confirmed when he played for Sydney anyway). I just hope this time his knee is reconstructed correctly. 

I never saw anything written on this but it was the same knee that went again so it wouldn't be a stretch to think that perhaps the medical care he received initially Wassnt very good?

From living in a caravan on a banana plantation, kicking a ball in the park with bunch of back packers while drinking XXXX to Latrobe training ground playing shampagne football learning off players like Bruno, Harry, Aaron and co....

boy is living a dream

• Like 2

He's exactly the kind of player we need in that front third. Moves the ball well, plays wide, works his arse off, and more importantly is direct. I like Gaimero, great player, but I think it's a case of one too many chefs in the kitchen with him up front.

Yeh he's not Harry but In a salary capped league, you need 'basic' players who don't take up too much coin but are solid all round, to ensure you can sign the Novillos, Wilko, kisnorbo under the cap. Fitzy fits this perfectly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LB said:

He's exactly the kind of player we need in that front third. Moves the ball well, plays wide, works his arse off, and more importantly is direct. I like Gaimero, great player, but I think it's a case of one too many chefs in the kitchen with him up front.

Yeh he's not Harry but In a salary capped league, you need 'basic' players who don't take up too much coin but are solid all round, to ensure you can sign the Novillos, Wilko, kisnorbo under the cap. Fitzy fits this perfectly.

You missed a chance here. Could've said "He fitz perfectly."

-Fantastic work ethic

-Has won 93.8% of tackles

-Good crossing ability

-Able to successfully take on players

-Reads the play very well

-Willing to chase back and defend

-Understands his role (looks to get the ball to Mooy or Bruno but also has the ability to shoot our take on players)

Not bad for a supposed bench player

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I too thought he was average when we signed him. I felt that he wouldn't /couldn't offer much. Very much wrong there.

He works hard and has good technique and with confidence is showing that he can comand a starting position. 

Great game last night and that chase for the third goal was super.

I was near to the touchline when he saved the ball from going out, when the ball was played through I said to my mate , "good luck in getting that"

what a work ethic, we are 2 nil up, comfortably cruising to a win, and he busts a gut to chase that down, which ends with Bruno's super strike

the kid's got the right attitude

he's earned himself a contract for next season

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 5

Its a pity all the highlights being shown of that goal are missing this part of the build-up. This for me was the highlight of the game. Determination and spirit even when we were 2 goals up and many players would have just let it go out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Its a pity all the highlights being shown of that goal are missing this part of the build-up. This for me was the highlight of the game. Determination and spirit even when we were 2 goals up and many players would have just let it go out.

Fitzy is one of the best signings we've made IMO. Has added a lot of energy to the squad - as have the other signings we made during the window. Looking back I think we can speculate that the players we moved on were not putting enough into their training etc. and that's why we made the moves we did.
Just hoping to goodness we can keep him for the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

He complements bruno and harry really well. Is there still a spot for gamerio in the team if fitzy keeps playing this well?

There's a spot on the bench for the player who doesn't work his ass off in training/doesn't take his chance.

We finally have depth, in every spot, which forces everyone to be at their best. 

Funnily enough, Fitzy doesn't have much in the way of competition at the moment. Which makes his effort all the more surprising.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Fitzy is one of the best signings we've made IMO. Has added a lot of energy to the squad - as have the other signings we made during the window. Looking back I think we can speculate that the players we moved on were not putting enough into their training etc. and that's why we made the moves we did.
Just hoping to goodness we can keep him for the future.

He's been fantastic. 

Keeping him will be tough though. He deserves a pay rise and there will be plenty of other clubs keen. Hope we can squeeze him in somehow.

Love what i am seeing from Fitzy, did not expect him to have this much of an impact on our team. Exactly the type of player we need to sign up for next season especially if we're going to be in the ACL (hopefully), need as much quality depth as possible. Can have an influence on the game both in the starting 11 or off the bench.