Melbourne Football

RD 9 V CCM Thursday 3-12 8pm Away

Dylan

45 minutes ago, silva10 said:

You can only beat the teams you play in any given week.

We have fucked up enough times against teams like these. Therefore I for one am going to celebrate a convincing win and will only be concerned with the tards when we play the twats!!

This.

56 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Gotta say there's some funny posts in this thread. Reminds me why I try not to post mid-match.

You can only beat what's in front of you, and we did that devastatingly well. 5 goals to 1, 23 shots to 12 (9 shots on target to 5), 13 shots from inside the box to 5,  11 corners to 5, 54% possession to 46%, and 79.2% passing accuracy to 73.6%.

Not bad from a team that had never previously won at Gosford.

Apart from the first 20 minutes of the game when the team was settling--and fair play to the Mariners in the first 20, 25 minutes they provided some meaningful resistance--it was all Melbourne City. The team was very effective over the vast majority of the game, scoring 5 goals evenly spread over 70 minutes. With 2 goals in the first half and 3 goals in the second this certainly wasn't a 1 half performance. The team showed it can perform without Mooy (who wasn't very effective when he was man marked during the first 60 minutes), and put to bed the Mooy=Melbourne City notion. And I wouldn't underestimate the value of this confidence-boosting road win against CCM, which finally officially broke our Central Coast hoodoo, and actually leaves Melbourne City undefeated in away games outside of Melbourne (with 2 wins and 2 draws.. not bad for a team that "doesn't travel well", according to the cheap commentary of too many A-League pundits).

The standouts of course were Novillo and Fornaroli. They stood up when we needed them and changed the game, and have the makings of 2 huge players for us this season. Mooy is a machine who keeps plugging away and couldn't be denied an assist and a late goal. And Paartalu was influential all over the park and provided a classy assist for the important second goal.

All up a win to savor. You can't bemoan a win by 4 goals. Wins that emphatic are valuable in any league, no matter who they are against, and provide all important points and momentum going into tougher games.

This was Paartalu's best game for City by far. Since he has come back his game and fitness have steadily improved.

I have been quick to criticise him in the past, so i will be happy to say well done for tonight.

• Like 2

SØRENSON: Looked pretty average, made a good save or two but almost gave one away.

FRANJIC: Beast. Love this guy. Played really well.

KISNORBO: Missed you bby. I will forgive every single mistake he ever makes in his career each time he makes one of those last ditch goal saving tackles he loves to make. King.

CHAPMAN: Wasn't at his best tonight. Poor defending lead to a penalty, but don't think he was too bad at all.

CLISBY: Fuck some people on here have it out for this bloke. Is he a world-beater? No. But he's still a pretty handy defender and has been solid the last few weeks. Wasn't the best tonight but still did a lot better than you'd think from reading this thread!

PAARTALU: Beast mode tonight. Was a part of a lot of our best moves tonight and I think it was his best game for us in a long time.

MELLING: Really ordinary tonight tbh. I love this kid but he was not up to scratch at all tonight. He'll come back though.

MOOY: Got marked out of the game and was fairly quiet and yet he still scored and got an assist. Just shows he is the best player we have seen by a long long way.

MAUK: Wasn't great tonight, went missing for a long time, but ended up scoring a nice goal so he made up for it.

FORNAROLI: Class as always. Consistent goalscorer that we've always needed. His goal tonight was sensational, as was his assist to Harry.

NOVILLO: Absolute legend. Another top-knotch performance from old mate python pants. If this is him at 75% his 100% will be incredible.

What a win! 10 goals in two games is very impressive no matter who its against!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ecguymer said:

Apparently the attendance was 4,514; which is the lowest attendance for an A-league match this season......

Understandable. Our supporters never go to Gosford just to watch a match against CCM anyway, and the boycotts were on too.

3 minutes ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

Wasn't our match last week the lowest until now. I'm glad they got 1400 less than us if so.

well, I don't have all of the stats, but it is our lowest home game attendance, and only central coast has had a lower home attendance this year....so unless central coast has had another sub 6k attendance, we where winning that.......

5 hours ago, ecguymer said:

Apparently the attendance was 4,514; which is the lowest attendance for an A-league match this season......

Didn't look like that many on the TV, just empty seats.

A lot of people in Gosford commute to Sydney for work, need to be super keen to go to a mid week game, plus you can forget families.

This insane fixturing will add to the pressure for an Independent commission.

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Gotta say there's some funny posts in this thread. Reminds me why I try not to post mid-match.

You can only beat what's in front of you, and we did that devastatingly well. 5 goals to 1, 23 shots to 12 (9 shots on target to 5), 13 shots from inside the box to 5,  11 corners to 5, 54% possession to 46%, and 79.2% passing accuracy to 73.6%.

Not bad from a team that had never previously won at Gosford.

Apart from the first 20 minutes of the game when the team was settling--and fair play to the Mariners in the first 20, 25 minutes they provided some meaningful resistance--it was all Melbourne City. The team was very effective over the vast majority of the game, scoring 5 goals evenly spread over 70 minutes. With 2 goals in the first half and 3 goals in the second this certainly wasn't a 1 half performance. The team showed it can perform without Mooy (who wasn't very effective when he was man marked during the first 60 minutes), and put to bed the Mooy=Melbourne City notion. And I wouldn't underestimate the value of this confidence-boosting road win against CCM, which finally officially broke our Central Coast hoodoo, and actually leaves Melbourne City undefeated in away games outside of Melbourne (with 2 wins and 2 draws.. not bad for a team that "doesn't travel well", according to the cheap commentary of too many A-League pundits).

The standouts of course were Novillo and Fornaroli. They stood up when we needed them and changed the game, and have the makings of 2 huge players for us this season. Mooy is a machine who keeps plugging away and couldn't be denied an assist and a late goal. And Paartalu was influential all over the park and provided a classy assist for the important second goal.

All up a win to savor. You can't bemoan a win by 4 goals. Wins that emphatic are valuable in any league, no matter who they are against, and provide all important points and momentum going into tougher games.

Yeh Murfy, but you know, negative 

10 hours ago, Luke said:

surely mooy has more than 6 assists also? 

I also have that number - I think it is correct.
Bear in mind it's sometimes difficult to determine whether a genuine assist has occurred. That's the reason why I personally think it is a somewhat useless statistic.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I also have that number - I think it is correct.
Bear in mind it's sometimes difficult to determine whether a genuine assist has occurred. That's the reason why I personally think it is a somewhat useless statistic.

Mooy has often played a pivotal role in creating a goal but has not given the final pass. Tunas cracker against Perth being a great example.

as a stat it is helpful but not the be all and end all

Just watched the highlights and what a result. 10 goals in 2 games.

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas. That glorious time of the year when everything clicks into place, we string a patch of very impressive results together and we all start to think "maybe things will be different this season"...

Over to you 2016

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cadete said:

If we had Muscunt as coach I would be fairly confident by now that would be at least a Grand Finalist this season with this bunch of attacking players... 

We're 2 seasons behind the visitors. We are like the team that Miscount inherited from Ange, lots of attacking flair but couldn't defend. It was exciting to watch but fell at the semi-final stage. AFAIR they had troubles keeping a clean sheet as well. The problem with our approach is that we have conceded over 10 goals in our last 3 games against a team like the visitors that can attacks as well as defend. We are unlikely to score 5 goals against them in the derby to have a good chance of a win

Just now, belaguttman said:

We're 2 seasons behind the visitors. We are like the team that Miscount inherited from Ange, lots of attacking flair but couldn't defend. It was exciting to watch but fell at the semi-final stage. AFAIR they had troubles keeping a clean sheet as well. The problem with our approach is that we have conceded over 10 goals in our last 3 games against a team like the visitors that can attacks as well as defend. We are unlikely to score 5 goals against them in the derby to have a good chance of a win

I actually dont think our defensive stocks are that bad at all when assessed as individual players and that is basically my point that Muscunt would be able to address this problem as JVS has never been great with defenders...

He has neglected recruiting enough players and cover properly for these positions in the past, which has seen him have to play midfielders there and even more annoyingly sometimes he has tried to make Midfielders in to Defenders purely cos he doesn't want to help the established Defenders through their form slumps.

I mean all Defenders (ESP CB's) have very noticeable form slumps its a part of Football... but JVS has never seemed capable of assisting his Defenders when they go through these periods.

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

This game shows that we need an experienced left back in Zullo to return. We are also missing another experienced midfielder next to Mooy because the young guys, while good, are so up and down. 

Before I get ridiculed when Koren returns will be a season changer. Melling Mauk and Retre have all been good and probably deserve a spot. But Koren maybe might be the game changer. 

Definitely a fit Zullo will massively change the left side as Franjic has already done.

All this optimism on a Friday morning is weird. Need a little nap.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The best gauge will be the coming derby if we get Zullo back there in time. Provided everyone is fit that will mean we have a starting eleven back four. 

29 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Just watched the highlights and what a result. 10 goals in 2 games.

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas. That glorious time of the year when everything clicks into place, we string a patch of very impressive results together and we all start to think "maybe things will be different this season"...

Over to you 2016

This. Hence why im not celebrating this win like most people are. Jvs out still please UNLESS we are top 3 or 4 by Jan 1st

cadete I certainly agree that our defence can do better. Ou theoretical first choice back 4 should be fairly solid but the problem is that we are unlikely to have them on the park at the same time and even when/if they return Zullo and Hughes will take some time to become match fit. The problem is vastly magnified as there is no tactical adjustment from JVS to reflect the drop in quality when we play our backup defenders. Like the visitors team of that year we continue to push our full backs very high leaving us vulnerable during defensive transition. We don't press effectively then and that makes it easy for attackers to get behind us.

Edited by belaguttman