Melbourne Football

City vs Western Sydney, AAMI Park, Friday 13th November 2015 7:40pm

GreenSeater

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Why can't we seem to get good crowds on a friday night? You'd think people would rather go to a friday night game then a sunday one

Because for families that live in the burbs it's a pain in the backside. Rush home from work pick up the tribe, fight the traffic.

weekends so much easier.

• Like 5

If we had a decent marquee, a well KNOWN decent marquee I think Friday nights will be huge! I remember sitting on the yarraside end last year when Villa played his first home game and watching that top tier fill up was awesome. Bring in a marquee, that'll bring some fans to watch the game, play good football and win and after a season hopefully half of the new fans will be rusted on.

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

And when you just got a misses you hate Saturday night games.😃

Problem really is that we've been so shit for so long that you can find hundreds of reasons why you can't be bothered to get down on game day. 

When the day comes and hopefully sooner rather than later that we are actually half decent and it becomes a priority to get down you'll  start ditching your wives/girlfriend /boyfriends kids even work just to watch your team play.  

The only thing that's exciting me this week is a chance to try those sausages. 

Many a true word spoken in jest.

13 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

club offering 10% off match tickets for members :droy:
just give us a freebie to bring someone 

???? perhaps I'm just dumb????

I'm a member, I've paid my membership for the season, how does a 10% discount help me ????

Edited by japiedog

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Why can't we seem to get good crowds on a friday night? You'd think people would rather go to a friday night game then a sunday one

I disagree. Easy for those working in the CBD but for those that don't it's a race against time to get there. Would much rather prefer Sunday games.

33 minutes ago, japiedog said:

???? perhaps I'm just dumb????

I'm a member, I've paid my membership for the season, how does a 10% discount help me ????

exactly, 10% off for someone else is fuck all, they should just have 1 game set out to be "bring a friend for free", all members get emailed the ticket like the ffa cup game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biancorosso7 said:

I think the word you're looking for is "METRICS". The club is trying to meet their METRICS.

"Targets" or "metrics" - whatever turns you on, or off.

I really can't see how anyone at the club could think that offering 10% of the entry price for a match will make any difference to the attendance. We gave free entry to the FFA Cup match and only 60% of the season-ticket holders turned up.
Whether the supposed target (metric) of 14,000 is for the number of season-ticket holders or for average attendance really doesn't matter. Whichever it is it clearly will not be met unless the club signs a top quality and well-known guest player to play 14 matches for us this season. IMO it's as simple as that. Other than that the club will gain traction with the public only by winning on a regular basis and challenging for the Premiership right to the last match of the season.

• Like 2

Surprisingly Mauk wasn't picked for the Olyroos (he talks about it in the interview in the Video and Audio thread). I'm also surprised Melling and maybe Chapman aren't in the mix for the Olyroos either. However, Vidmar the Olyroos coach didn't pick Brandon Borrello either, so I'd say there's a good chance that the players called up for these 2 November friendlies aren't the final Olyroos squad.

Jacob Melling, Stefan Mauk confident Melbourne City can survive absence of Aaron Mooy

November 11 2015

Matt Windley

WIN and make it hard for Aaron Mooy to get back in to the team.

That’s the attitude young midfielders Jacob Melling and Stefan Mauk are taking in to Friday night’s clash with Western Sydney, where Melbourne City will be without its superstar playmaker.

Given the numbers Mooy has wracked up in the first five rounds, it’s perhaps a touch facetious to suggest the 25-year-old won’t come straight back in to the side after his Socceroos commitments.

Mooy has created the most chances in the A-League (19), is the only player to have three assists, has been involved in five of his side’s 12 goals (scoring two), has the fifth-highest amount of shots in the competition (11), the sixth-highest amount of passes (263) and the second most crosses (36).

But far from being overawed by the prospect of having to defeat the Wanderers at AAMI Park without him, Mauk said that City’s midfield depth ensures there is enough class to cover Mooy’s absence.

“It gives an opportunity for another player to come in to the squad, whoever it is, and hopefully they can take the opportunity and do well,” Mauk said.

“That’s what (coach) JVS (John van’t Schip) wants, competition for places, so that when we are missing players someone else can come in and do the same job.

“When you win it’s hard to change a winning team. As long as we play well, I don’t think it matters who’s out there, (the team) should be able to do the job.”

Mauk played on a wing in the 4-2 win over Adelaide last week, but is expected to shift in to Mooy’s midfield role, while Melling and Erik Paartalu hold their spots.

Of the midfield group, only Mooy has played every game so far this season, and Melling said that rotation could be of benefit to the team.

“You can’t replace a player like Mooysie, but I’m still very confident in the squad we have,” Melling said.

“We’re quite versatile.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/jacob-melling-stefan-mauk-confident-melbourne-city-can-survive-absence-of-aaron-mooy/news-story/7beb53f28265c6d1a4f5e1302bea72bc

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3.Aaron HUGHES, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Corey GAMEIRO, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 34.Stefan ZINNI

**Two to be omitted**

Ins: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (returns from injury), 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (promoted)

Outs: 8.Aaron MOOY (international duty)

Unavailable: 10.Robert KOREN (calf – 3-4 weeks), 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 1-2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – indefinite), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

on the assumption that Franjic is still recovering from injury that means that the club is down to five injuries of which Brown and Marino are the only officially long term injuries. The rest are out for a Germano. The two long term injuries are forwards and we have plenty of those and since neither had cemented a place on the match day team they are not going to be missed. Koren would not be missed if Mooy was available. That leaves Franjic and Zullo who should be starting XI material. So the club is pretty much on full strength with some underdone players in Gameiro, Novillo and Williams.

For me I would omit Gameiro and Kuzmanovski. Gameiro was diabolical and I would prefer for him to begin his redemption at NYL level. Kuzmanovski is unfortunate but I would prefer a mid-fielder on the bench and that would mean Trifiro. If Trifiro does get a run I would be stoked if he can match Koren's output.

Just now, NewConvert said:

on the assumption that Franjic is still recovering from injury that means that the club is down to five injuries of which Brown and Marino are the only officially long term injuries. The rest are out for a Germano. The two long term injuries are forwards and we have plenty of those and since neither had cemented a place on the match day team they are not going to be missed. Koren would not be missed if Mooy was available. That leaves Franjic and Zullo who should be starting XI material. So the club is pretty much on full strength with some underdone players in Gameiro, Novillo and Williams.

For me I would omit Gameiro and Kuzmanovski. Gameiro was diabolical and I would prefer for him to begin his redemption at NYL level. Kuzmanovski is unfortunate but I would prefer a mid-fielder on the bench and that would mean Trifiro. If Trifiro does get a run I would be stoked if he can match Koren's output.

A potato can match Koren's output 

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Would much prefer kuzi over zinni

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Bit of a worry that Franjic isn't even listed. Every time we get a team list I feel that we're given more questions than answers. 

Looks like he's actually training but "not selected." As are Richardson and Espindola. IMO it's all unnecessarily muddled.

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

Looks like he's actually training but "not selected." As are Richardson and Espindola. IMO it's all unnecessarily muddled.

Well that's what I mean, either list everybody or don't list anyone at all. WHen you announce teams I'm not sure why you'd need to release injury updates to. You'd think they could release an injury update on Monday or Tuesday, and just list the team on the Thursday. Would take a lot of the clutter and confusion out of it. 

• Like 1