Melbourne Football

R 4: City vs. Newcastle, Fri 30 Oct, 7.40 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

Hardly have the floodlights been turned off before they're on again for Friday night against Newcastle. I'd guess van 't Schip will field more or less the same squad as for CCM. IMO our vulnerability is still at the back where we're short of pace and height. I don't see Garuccio as a LB, so possibly a change there?

Hardly have the floodlights been turned off before they're on again for Friday night against Newcastle. I'd guess van 't Schip will field more or less the same squad as for CCM. IMO our vulnerability is still at the back where we're short of pace and height. I don't see Garuccio as a LB, so possibly a change there?

I bloody hope so... 

• Like 1

JVS presser stated Velaphi, Clisby and Hughes a chance to return and that was about it. Think that Hughes will start on the woodwork so my thoughts along these lines :

Sorensen

Retre         Chapman      Kisnorbo      Garrucio

Melling         Mooy

Mauk

Williams              Fornaroli         Kuzmanovski

SUBS  Velaphi   Gameiro     Zinni      Hughes     Paartalu/Clisby

Dekker potentially for Zinni but probably showed enough to warrant another crack.

• Like 1

JVS presser stated Velaphi, Clisby and Hughes a chance to return and that was about it. Think that Hughes will start on the woodwork so my thoughts along these lines :

Sorensen

Retre         Chapman      Kisnorbo      Garrucio

Melling         Mooy

Mauk

Williams              Fornaroli         Kuzmanovski

SUBS  Velaphi   Gameiro     Zinni      Hughes     Paartalu/Clisby

Dekker potentially for Zinni but probably showed enough to warrant another crack.

Yeah, pretty happy for it to be essentially unchanged, besides a couple of different names on the bench.

If we get Hughes up to give us a 20-25 minute cameo, that would be great. 

This is a dangerous game TBH. Whatever ridiculous experiment is going on at CCM, where they're trying to play nice football with shit players, helped us a lot last week because if they played to their usual style of just being  physical we likely would have struggled as we usually do against them. But that's exactly what we're going to get this week, and if Victory struggled against Newcastle, we're likely to as well with all the young players in the team currently. 

• Like 2

Massive game. No excuses not to back up our efforts from last week. Victory should've beaten Newcastle. Played all over them but couldn't finish. Trust in El Tuna to do what the Visitors couldn't and put a couple in the back of the net. 

I know confidence is dangerous mix with  us but why not. All the dead weight from the Aloisi era has been cut and I feel this is a pretty invigorated team. Just do something about those fucking full backs and we'll be fine.   

• Like 1

Massive game. No excuses not to back up our efforts from last week. Victory should've beaten Newcastle. Played all over them but couldn't finish. Trust in El Tuna to do what the Visitors couldn't and put a couple in the back of the net. 

I know confidence is dangerous mix with  us but why not. All the dead weight from the Aloisi era has been cut and I feel this is a pretty invigorated team. Just do something about those fucking full backs and we'll be fine.   

Disagree with this. Yes MV were unlucky that they hit the upright but that is part of the game. NJ played man on man Barbarousses did not have much time to do anything as that debutante just kept up with him and wore him like a glove. BKF ran down the wing but had little time to put a good cross - it may well have been the best game I have ever seen Hoffman play. Berisha was controlled by a decent zoning system. In the end both sides were just stuffed.

I expect the same from NJ this week but I don't know whether they can maintain the pace. Also I still have lingering doubts that after the derby both Melbourne teams were a spent force and easy pickings for the next match.

We've traditionally done well against Jets at home (trying not to think of that 0-2 loss where we have 25 shots to their 2) but this is traditionally the sort of game that Heart/City would lose - Friday night audience, expected to win, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It'll be a good test of the mentality of the team as will the following away game against Adelaide.

I don't want to sound unduly pessimistic but I'm yet to see a true change in attitude and group temperament on the pitch

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3