Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

it was seriously just the central defensive pairing which was the biggest issue, everywhere else was fine imo

as if it wasn't important enough already given it's the Mariners at home, but JVS had better get 3 points this weekend after this game

• Like 2

This is the same feeling the last time we lost a final here.

Nothing has changed. A few names a nice pitch to train on but at the end of the day it's the same old shit.

You don't win anything with kids let alone away semi finals.

Real joke completely deflated.

• Like 1

I really don't care about the ffa cup at all. It's a glorified preseason comp and until the draw isn't rigged I will continue not to care about it. 

I'm sure when we look back at other clubs winning FFA cup silverwear we'll be able to say the comp wasn't run perfectly. Meanwhile our trophy cabinet stays empty. The FFA cup is here to stay and another year has passed where we don't take it seriously enough. 

I don't think anyone's mentioned it but what would be disappointing would be if CFG has also prioritised this Sunday's season game over the semis last night. What if they actually back JVS for saving some of our  better players for this weekend? 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

I'm sure when we look back at other clubs winning FFA cup silverwear we'll be able to say the comp wasn't run perfectly. Meanwhile our trophy cabinet stays empty. The FFA cup is here to stay and another year has passed where we don't take it seriously enough. 

I don't think anyone's mentioned it but what would be disappointing would be if CFG has also prioritised this Sunday's season game over the semis last night. What if they actually back JVS for saving some of our  better players for this weekend? 

Agree, the decision must have come from somewhere. Maybe his minimum standard was making the semi final of the FFA cup, having achieved that he fucked it off in order to concentrate on his other minimum of a league win/grand final appearance.

If we have deliberately fielded an under-strength team FFA should fine us heavily, irrespective of who made a decision to do so. But I can't see anything helping "CFG brand recognition" in losing as we did last night, so I'd say the decisions were made by van 't Schip.

As for "saving some of the better players for this weekend" our players are such pussies that they're just as likely to hurt themselves getting out of bed as they are playing a game of football.

• Like 1

It would be  a strange priority, last night showed that we still struggle against physical sides and we will continue to struggle against CCM at home. Very unlikely to win or even draw on last night's performance. Yes, I know that we'll have a different team on Sunday but it isn't a personnel issue, its a mentality issue, same as it ever was.

Lol. The exact same people critical of selection would be the same people who'd have whinged til the cows came home if our players got injured from too heavy a load.

Not saying i agree with the team we put out either, but calm your farm.

Imo we played reasonably well last night, we dominated virtually every stat except goals and saw plenty from the likes of Kuzi, Mauk, Melling and Millar.

We looked exceptionally sloppy defending setpieces, which probably would have been rectified if Kisnorbo starts and probably we go on to win that game.

On the other hand, if Kisnorbo goes down injured we are pretty much fucked until Hughes gets back so i fully getthe decision not to play him.

Given that last nights selection indicates our priority is sunday against ccm, the heat should absolutely come on JVS if we fail to win our next two games.

Lol. The exact same people critical of selection would be the same people who'd have whinged til the cows came home if our players got injured from too heavy a load.

Not saying i agree with the team we put out either, but calm your farm.

Imo we played reasonably well last night, we dominated virtually every stat except goals and saw plenty from the likes of Kuzi, Mauk, Melling and Millar.

We looked exceptionally sloppy defending setpieces, which probably would have been rectified if Kisnorbo starts and probably we go on to win that game.

On the other hand, if Kisnorbo goes down injured we are pretty much fucked until Hughes gets back so i fully getthe decision not to play him.

Given that last nights selection indicates our priority is sunday against ccm, the heat should absolutely come on JVS if we fail to win our next two games.

sorry bt ur wrong as per usual

• Like 1

If it were me in his position, I would have prioritised the FFA Cup over an away derby, played the full strength team in Perth. Perth are always a physical team that play direct counter-attacking football and are strong defensively with tall players. They are dangerous at set pieces and from counter-attack. I would select a team and tactics to minimise their advantage and to exploit their weaknesses in transition and out wide. We selected a team that allowed them to play to their strengths and now have a situation where, like every previous season, we come into our first home game with no momentum against a team where we have performed consistently poorly. Unless we get 6 points from the next 2 home games we will have yet another season of poor home attendances whilst the visitors grow even bigger. Perhaps we can change the team name to Melbourne 1860.

Edited by belaguttman

The thing i don't understand that if JVS was just looking the half ass the game, why still play some of our better players in mooy and bruno? If you're going to sit Kisnorbo out for virtually the whole game giving us the impression that you don't give a fuck about the ffa cup (which is fine imo) why risk the two players which are so crucial to this season then?

You either play all the kids or play a serious team. Seems like JVS got caught in between.

According to MFootball:

Melbourne City

Tando Velaphi – 6: Made some good saves, including the original block which then resulted in Perth’s first goal before being forced from the field. But was still shaky in his distribution.

Matthew Miller – 7: Scored the goal with a great header on debut.

Conor Chapman – 6: Solid performance without his usual centre back partner.

Ben Garuccio – 4: Scored the own goal that took the wind out of City’s sails, although situation could have been avoided if other defenders had cleared. Managed to get forward on a number of occasions.

Jack Clisby – 6.5: Paired at centre back with Chapman. Showed wonderful vision with some of his passes. Maybe could have cleared the ball before the own goal.

Aaron Mooy – 6: Was quiet for his own standards but still got the assist and looked dangerous throughout.

Stefan Mauk – 5: Made some good runs into the box but struggled to make any big impact on the match.

Jacob Melling – 5.5: Did well with the ball at his feet and crafted some good interplay with Mooy, but was let down by some wayward passes. Could be a good replacement for Paartalu in the future.

Steve Kuzmanovski – 6: Showed his great footwork in the match, particularly in the second period, but ultimately didn’t leave any mark on the match that would lead to a result.

Wade Dekker- 5: Was quiet on the other wing but made his contribution.

Bruno Fornaroli – 5: Much quieter than he was in the second half of the derby on Saturday. Possibly due to Mooy creating less for him.

Substitutes

Patrick Kisnorbo – 4.5: Came off the bench, didn’t make much of an impact.

David Williams – 5: Good signs for Williams as he got himself into some goal scoring positions, but again didn’t make any tangible impact.

Thomas Sorensen – 4.5: Goalkeeper’s performances are rated on moments and Sorensen would be extremely disappointed by being beaten at the near post on the third goal.

last win in perth was season 2- we won 2-1 with mate duganzic scoring a late winner as we came from behind to win. That was in our 6 game winning streak- the best period in the clubs history

I found FIFA 12 for $3 today. I bought is specifically so i can relive our glory month over and over

• Like 1

If you were manager and didn't play the strongest team you had in a derby I would have personally come to training and thrown rocks at you :up: 

I would have caught your rocks and then sat down and patiently explained to you that this team has had a long-term culture of mediocrity and acceptance of failure. Part of that culture has been a disproportionate focus on the derby to the detriment of the whole season. A result if that has been a concentration of intensity and will to win into derby game and that that attitude needs to be brought to all games. a winning culture needs to grow in the team and that winning a trophy is a very important part of that. There are 3 derbies during the season and there could have also been an FFA Cup final and a Championship. These are my goals for the season and this is why I'm prioritising the FFA Cup over the derby at this stage of the season

• Like 2

As I watched the game last night, my blood boiled when we didn't take our chances and I was quite angry and abusive towards the ref, the commentators, Perth Glory, their crowd, their owner, our players, JVS and Garcia (even though he wasn't playing).  At the start of the second half the wife went to bed (cos I was a psycho), the dog ran from the room, and as I drank my 3rd bourbon, my anger subsided and I accepted that we were going to lose, and I started to reflect on the game, and funnily enough I started seeing some positives.

I think I understand now why we went in with so many changes and why JVS put a higher priority on the derby, as opposed to the FFA cup.  I reckon, he had a KPI of making the semi-final for the FFA cup - tick!  So to get to final would have been a bonus.   I am guessing that given our horrendous preseason injury issues, the game was seen as a good opportunity to get some kms into our returning players legs and test them at A-League level.

Yes, our defence was the main reason we lost, but as mentioned elsewhere, we really did dominate in the midfield and across most of the stats, and the three M's (Mooy, Melling & Mauk) seem to be an awesome midfield combination prospect  (the 3 Musketeers)

All our returning players who lasted the 90 minutes will be much better off for the game.  

Also, Clisby seemed to limp off injured (a good thing?).

Again, there is massive promise with regard to Kuzi who looks to be a player to watch.  He ran out of legs after about an hour, but the kid has a heap of potential.

Loved seeing Melling back on the pitch, also.

I am still pissed massively about the unavailability of Corey G through suspension - a bad FFA joke, really.

Don't get me wrong.  I desperately wanted us to win this game, and we could have won it without our horror defensive mistakes.  But the reality is with our injury affected preseason impacting on our depth, and the derby just days earlier, it was always going to be a long shot.

Also, typically in these types of away games, historically, we don't look like we have any chance, but I think the tide is changing in terms of our general level of competitiveness - I don't think we will be easy to beat going forward, home or away.  

I am fearful we may be a little flat against CCM, but I still think we can beat them and grab 3 points.

• Like 2

You must have had more than 3 bourbons. Two of the three M's were OK but Melling apart from his aggression was poor. Didn't do enough in defence, was out of condition and made 45 passes. The only problem was that 21 of those passes went straight back to the opposition. I cannot remember a midfielder ever having those sets of statistics of 53% pass accuracy.

I understand that he is young, but on this showing I hope he can improve against CCM or we are stuffed well and truly.

No matter who you are, no matyer what your job is at any club, if you start a side like that in a cup semi-final away from home you should be sacked on the spot. Straight up. I know some of you are saying the FFA Cup doesn't mean much, but compared to the only silverwear in our cabinet the Craig Foster Cup, its a pretty fucking big deal. We are into the 6th season of our club's existence, the 2nd season under CFG and what do we have to show for it? A whole lot of nothing. We are yet to win any silverwear. West Sydney won the fucking Champions League in their second season. Beggars can't be choosers, the FFA Cup is a trophy, a big trophy at that, and we need one. This may be an unpopular opinion among the supporters of this club, but there is no way that we should have prioritised the derby over this game. It feels like all this club stands for is trying to beat our older brother from across town, and nothing else. I couldn't give a fuck about Victory. I really couldn't. Yeah it sucks losing to them, and its great to beat them, but I would much rather some silverwear. Or at least a chance to compete for some! At the start of this season all we heard in the media was how "ruthless" CFG was going to be over the offseason trying to remove the losing culture of our club. Sure they got rid of a few underperforming players, but you can't exactly describe keeping a manager with a 35% win record being ruthless. To start a youth side in a semi final is a disgrace I'm sorry.

100% right. The ones that say the FFA Cup is not something valuable are delusional. It is their way of coping saying that it is unimportant because they are hurting bad inside and don't want to admit it.

I feel for the other players that were rested as they might have made the difference but never got a chance. I bet you they would like to have had a cup win on their resume. Something is wrong to field such a young team with the experienced guys taken out. I have no malice towards the young players, but you need a balance of youthful exuberance and some steady old hands. This was clearly lacking last night and we paid the price for it.

It would be interesting to have known whether Paddy would even have ever come on if Clisby had not injured himself. JVS has a lot to answer for, but then he is a professional and worldly coach on a good salary so he would have to know more about football and management than any of us mere mortals.

Let's see who he plays on the weekend. Maybe he can bring in the whole youth team as an experiment.

No matter who you are, no matyer what your job is at any club, if you start a side like that in a cup semi-final away from home you should be sacked on the spot. Straight up. I know some of you are saying the FFA Cup doesn't mean much, but compared to the only silverwear in our cabinet the Craig Foster Cup, its a pretty fucking big deal. We are into the 6th season of our club's existence, the 2nd season under CFG and what do we have to show for it? A whole lot of nothing. We are yet to win any silverwear. West Sydney won the fucking Champions League in their second season. Beggars can't be choosers, the FFA Cup is a trophy, a big trophy at that, and we need one. This may be an unpopular opinion among the supporters of this club, but there is no way that we should have prioritised the derby over this game. It feels like all this club stands for is trying to beat our older brother from across town, and nothing else. I couldn't give a fuck about Victory. I really couldn't. Yeah it sucks losing to them, and its great to beat them, but I would much rather some silverwear. Or at least a chance to compete for some! At the start of this season all we heard in the media was how "ruthless" CFG was going to be over the offseason trying to remove the losing culture of our club. Sure they got rid of a few underperforming players, but you can't exactly describe keeping a manager with a 35% win record being ruthless. To start a youth side in a semi final is a disgrace I'm sorry.

In any case it shouldn't be beyond a professional footballer who's been training since June to play matches Saturday-Wednesday-Sunday, even with the travel to Perth. Professionals in Europe do it all the time. Non-league semi-professionals often are required for two matches per week - team I supported in England often played Saturday afternoon and then Monday evening.

• Like 5

It would be interesting to have known whether Paddy would even have ever come on if Clisby had not injured himself. 

No, before Clisby came off Zinni was warming up. Given we were already losing, putting on an attacking player would have been a better option if Clisby hadn't been injured.

No, before Clisby came off Zinni was warming up. Given we were already losing, putting on an attacking player would have been a better option if Clisby hadn't been injured.

Even then there was strong case to make an attacking sub.  I mean, we were 3-1 down in a cup tie.

What should of happened is we brought Paddy on as soon as we went down 1-0.  F&^% me it was obvious that we couldn't handle them aerially (they had already missed 2 sitters) and a manager who wanted to win the game had to do something about it.

In any case it shouldn't be beyond a professional footballer who's been training since June to play matches Saturday-Wednesday-Sunday, even with the travel to Perth. Professionals in Europe do it all the time. Non-league semi-professionals often are required for two matches per week - team I supported in England often played Saturday afternoon and then Monday evening.

This.. I thought the whole point of CFG is to provide their resources as they had experiences especially in EPL for their tight schedules. So don't give me this b**s*** about needing to rest all our key players.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

it was seriously just the central defensive pairing which was the biggest issue, everywhere else was fine imo

as if it wasn't important enough already given it's the Mariners at home, but JVS had better get 3 points this weekend after this game

Agree on both points. Changing the central pairing, and replacing Kisnorbo with Clisby was a terrible idea. It was especially bad dragging our best headers out of the team, Kisnorbo (won the 2nd highest % of headers last season) and Paartalu (who won the most aerial duels last season, 104) against the 1 dimensional, set-piece obsessed Perth Glory (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/who-is-the-a-leagues-aerial-powerhouse/1ni1a0gm0sxne1kqk8ejnwe026).

Given the lack of respect JVS showed the FFA Cup, and the seemingly greater importance he has placed on the League, a win this Sunday against Central Coast is simply expected. And next week at home against the Newcastle Jets, for that matter. He better put our rested players to use in the A-League.

For me, I think this match was about more than the FFA Cup itself, it was a chance to display some sort of indication of a change from the old "Heart mentality", instead it's done the exact opposite.

Fully agree with this. The team has to get into a winning stride against A-League teams, especially the mediocre A-League teams, and therefore yesterday was a big opportunity missed. 

It feels like all this club stands for is trying to beat our older brother from across town, and nothing else. I couldn't give a fuck about Victory. I really couldn't. Yeah it sucks losing to them, and its great to beat them, but I would much rather some silverwear. Or at least a chance to compete for some!

Also agree with this. Melbourne City has to think bigger than Melbourne Heart to be successful, and that means working as hard as Heart did to beat Victory to beat all other A-League team and win silverware. And yesterday we abysmally failed in that regard.

It will be a necessary sign of growth when Melbourne City starts paying less attention to Melbourne victory and winning derbies, and starts paying more attention to the trophies in Australian football and the teams we have to beat to obtain them.

Edited by Murfy1
League for FFA Cup
  • Like 1

Exactly. So much to like here. I could be wrong of course but I'm afraid this will turn out to have been our best chance to win silverware this year and JvS was too gutless to take the opportunity. Please just take your sun tan and fook off out of here.

IMO you encapsulated everything in your first post Murf. As far as I am concerned for every match you play your best possible team. I will accept that there are situations in other parts of the world - for example the UK - where certain competitions (e.g. County Senior Cups - that's if they still have them) are regarded as secondary. (For example, West Ham used to play their reserve side in the Essex Senior Cup against the other Essex sides.). But that situation doesn't arise for A-League clubs - there are only two competitions here for A-League clubs and all the A-League clubs are involved in both, and so it is incumbent on A-League clubs to play the best team that they can.

If JvS did indeed deliberately play a weak team against Perth because he placed more importance on beating CCM (which of course he can't guarantee anyway) he has in my view committed a sackable offence. He has shown disrespect for the FFA Cup, Perth Glory, the teams we had already beaten (Edgeworth, Phoenix and Heidelberg), some of his own players, and most of all the supporters of Melbourne City. This is to me on a par with the Villa affair - we've been dudded once again by the club we support.

Absolutely and categorically unacceptable.

• Like 2

IMO you encapsulated everything in your first post Murf. As far as I am concerned for every match you play your best possible team. I will accept that there are situations in other parts of the world - for example the UK - where certain competitions (e.g. County Senior Cups - that's if they still have them) are regarded as secondary. (For example, West Ham used to play their reserve side in the Essex Senior Cup against the other Essex sides.). But that situation doesn't arise for A-League clubs - there are only two competitions here for A-League clubs and all the A-League clubs are involved in both, and so it is incumbent on A-League clubs to play the best team that they can.

If JvS did indeed deliberately play a weak team against Perth because he placed more importance on beating CCM (which of course he can't guarantee anyway) he has in my view committed a sackable offence. He has shown disrespect for the FFA Cup, Perth Glory, the teams we had already beaten (Edgeworth, Phoenix and Heidelberg), some of his own players, and most of all the supporters of Melbourne City. This is to me on a par with the Villa affair - we've been dudded once again by the club we support.

Absolutely and categorically unacceptable.

Agreed. It's a slap in the face for me and I assume many others, getting all excited about the game thinking we might be in with a chance, only for JVS to trot out the seconds.

FFA Cup: Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip says he didn’t disrespect competition

Matt Windley

22 October 2015

MELBOURNE City coach John van’t Schip denies he treated the FFA Cup with disrespect despite putting out a youthful line-up in Wednesday night’s ill-fated semi-final against Perth.

City scuppered a huge opportunity to vie for the club’s first piece of silverware, losing 3-1 to the Glory at nib Stadium with a starting side that contained a debutant, seven players aged 21 and under and its reserve goalkeeper.

Some of those selections were forced by the staggering injury list the club continues to carry, but others, such as the decision to start captain Patrick Kisnorbo on the bench, were by choice, van’t Schip said.

“Just looking at the past games, I was not really happy (with Kisnorbo),” van’t Schip said.

“So as a coach you can keep on going or you just have to try something different.

“We’re looking for things to improve, players are getting opportunities ... and I put a team on the pitch that I think was the strongest at this moment.

“Of course we know we have some players who are out who we couldn’t use, but all the other players who were on the pitch that were available, I was convinced that that was our strongest team.

“We wanted to get in to the final.”

Holding midfielder Erik Paartalu, despite a poor performance in last weekend’s derby loss to Melbourne Victory, was also conspicuous in his absence from Wednesday night’s teamsheet.

The man who replaced Kisnorbo in the centre of defence, Jack Clisby, was the latest City player to pick up a soft tissue injury and will almost certainly miss Sunday’s home game against Central Coast with a quad injury.

Goalkeeper Tando Velaphi has also been ruled out with concussion after a sickening collision with Glory striker Guyon Fernandez.

Midfielder Aaron Mooy, who stood in as captain, backed van’t Schip’s selections as well as his team’s ability to rebound against the Mariners.

“There were a lot of young boys in there,” Mooy said.

“But we’ve got three games in eight days, plus the travel, so it’s a lot to ask for everyone to play all of those games.

“Some of the boys got their chance and did well. The coach believes in everyone and he showed that.

“We need to start winning, so the weekend is very important.

“We’re doing some parts of the game well, but in other parts it’s just little mistakes that are costing us. If we can get rid of them I think we’ll do well.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/ffa-cup-melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-says-he-didnt-disrespect-competition/story-fnk6pqhe-1227578990495