Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

That's what the article says.

As far as I can see he didn't play for Sydney in the A-League after 7th November 2014.

He had a yellow card in their FFA Cup match (defeated by Adelaide) on 21st October 2014, but I haven't got any further details on him.

Here are the rules: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/Westfield FFA Cup Disciplinary Rules_1qspmks53u32h1fmgqfq437cdz.pdf - presumably he's fallen foul of rules 1.3/1.4, and the cards are deemed to carry over to a following season.

Even still, surely the previous FFA Cup games we've played this season make him eligible. AFAIK he was never 'injury replaced' so you'd think it wouldn't matter. Sounds like someone's fucked up to me...

Meh either way, gives him an extra four days and we'll get to see him debut on Sunday at home.

As far as I can see he didn't play for Sydney in the A-League after 7th November 2014.

He had a yellow card in their FFA Cup match (defeated by Adelaide) on 21st October 2014, but I haven't got any further details on him.

Here are the rules: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/dct/ffa-dtc-performgroup-eu-west-1/Westfield FFA Cup Disciplinary Rules_1qspmks53u32h1fmgqfq437cdz.pdf - presumably he's fallen foul of rules 1.3/1.4, and the cards are deemed to carry over to a following season.

Perhaps we should have "selected" him for the Edgeworth game and then he would have served the suspension then...we're being punished for being honest.

We're being punished for not being FFA Sydney or the Tards

Perhaps we should have "selected" him for the Edgeworth game and then he would have served the suspension then...we're being punished for being honest.

A couple of things.

1.Remember that fuck up by the polish side vs one of the Scottish minnow sides?  They played some guy who had served his suspension, but because he wasn't listed on the team sheet to serve it, he was deemed ineligible and the others went through.

2. How can A League suspensions carry over to the Cup, but they don't go back the other way?  Surely Gameiro served his suspension with the sky blues in the A League.

Cup semi evokes Patrick Kisnorbo memories of a Fergie spray when Leeds stunned United

Michael Lynch

October 20, 2015

Melbourne City stands just 90 minutes away from making its first FFA Cup final, where, if it manages to beat Perth Glory in West Australia on Wednesday night it could face cross-town rivals and defending A-League champions Melbourne Victory in the final next month.

That in itself is a big enough incentive for City skipper Patrick Kisnorbo. But also driving him on is the memory of how big cup ties were in the decade he played in Britain.

And no game for Kisnorbo was bigger than when he played at centre-half for Leeds – then a League One side – at Old Trafford against Manchester United in the third round of the FA Cup in 2010.

It was expected to be a regulation victory for the Premier League giants, but Jermaine Beckford's goal gave  Leeds a stunning 1-0 upset win to knock United out of the tournament.

United lined up with Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov up front and Ryan Giggs on one wing, with Michael Owen used off the bench in the last 20 minutes.

Leeds weathered the storm and Kisnorbo particularly remembers the response he got from United manager Sir Alex Ferguson in the aftermath.

"That game is up there with one of the biggest games of my career. Not many people get to play at Old Trafford against the best players in the world and win 1-0. 

"It was huge, to get the compliment I did after the game from Sir Alex Ferguson, when he told me to f--- off, that was the biggest compliment of my football career because I knew how much it meant to him, the rivalry and how big the cup events are.

"I saw him after the game when we went to do a warm down, and I said well done and all the best and thanks, and he said 'f--- off'. 

"That's a huge compliment, because you knew how much this meant to one of the best managers in the world. The rivalry between Leeds and United and the chance to get back into the next round was huge."

It's possible, though unlikely, that Perth boss Kenny Lowe will react in the same way should City knock his side out on Wednesday, but even if he did it wouldn't worry the battle-hardened Kisnorbo, who is relishing the chance to win something in City colours.

"It's a chance to try to get some silverware. It's great for us to be in the semi-final. It would be a big deal to make the final, a great achievement if we did get to a final. 

"We still have to go out there and beat Perth, but the scenario and possibilities could be two Melbourne teams in a final, which is great for football and Melbourne."

It is certain that City will have a much-changed team when it takes the field against Perth.

Tando Velaphi will play in goal, replacing former Premier League veteran Thomas Sorensen (who played in an FA Cup final for Stoke, when they were beaten by Manchester City in 2011).

Robert Koren and Michael Zullo, both substituted in City's 3-2 loss to Melbourne Victory on Saturday evening, will miss the trip west and are in doubt for the club's game against Central Coast on Sunday.

But Corey Gameiro, David Williams, Ben Garuccio and Jacob Melling, none of whom have played this season, will come under consideration for the cup semi-final.

"Every game you play the stakes are high ... it's a cup game, a one-off match, a semi-final. You have to play to win and don't think about what happens ... but it would be massive to make the final," City coach John van 't Schip said.

Velaphi played in goal in the quarter-final demolition of Heidelberg and will retain his place in this tournament.

"Tando is going to play," van 't Schip said. "We discussed that already in the early stages. He is playing the cup games and Thomas is travelling with us."

He was critical of the way his side began Saturday's derby against Victory. City was lucky to be only one goal down at the interval, and when Kosta Barbarouses netted just before the hour mark to put Victory two goals to the good, it looked as though City was finished.

But the players belatedly switched on and clawed back that deficit only to be sunk by a last-minute Besart Berisha winner. Van 't Schip is hoping his men have learnt the need to be switched on from the start.

"I hope we learnt from Saturday that you have to be there form the first minute, from the first second, to play and show the qualities that you have as a team and as a player. If we do that we have a very good team and a good chance to get a good result.

"It's going to be tough, we don't want to make it tougher. It's double up if you make it tougher by not being prepared. Victory have a good team, but the first half we lost ourselves. We didn't battle enough, we were not convinced enough."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/cup-semi-evokes-patrick-kisnorbo-memories-of-a-fergie-spray-when-leeds-stunned-united-20151020-gkdlid.html

1.Remember that fuck up by the polish side vs one of the Scottish minnow sides?  They played some guy who had served his suspension, but because he wasn't listed on the team sheet to serve it, he was deemed ineligible and the others went through.

Yep that was bullshit. Legia Warsaw won 6-1 on aggregate but had an inneligable player on the field in one of the legs. Also make sure you don't call Celtic a Scottish minnow side in front of Cadete! :tooth:

FFA Cup: Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip says players must fight hard against Perth Glory

Matt Windley

October 20 2015

MELBOURNE City coach John van’t Schip says his players must be prepared to go to war for 120 minutes in Wednesday night’s FFA Cup semi-final against Perth Glory.

But City players will have to do so without the services of key players Robert Koren and Michael Zullo, who have both succumbed to calf strains and will miss not only tonight’s cut-throat game, but at least Sunday’s league clash with Central Coast as well.

The prospect of a Melbourne derby Cup final at Etihad Stadium looms large should City win and van’t Schip yesterday implored his charges not to make life harder for themselves by not switching on from the first whistle, as they did against Victory last weekend.

“The opponent is going to be tough, but if you make it tougher yourself by not being prepared then it doubles up,” van’t Schip said.

“There has to be an absolute will to win ... extra time if you need to, penalties if you need to.

“Mentally, and I hope we learned from the first half of Saturday, you have to be there from minute one and show the qualities that you have as a team and as a player.

“I think if we do that we have a good team and also a good chance to get a good result.”

City will make at least three changes to the side that lost 3-2 to Victory on Saturday night, with Tando Velaphi also confirmed as a certain starter, as he has been for the side’s three Cup games to date.

Likely to be joining regular A-League goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen on the bench are returning trio David Williams, Jacob Melling and Ben Garuccio.

City had hoped new signing Corey Gameiro would be able to play, but given he picked up three yellow cards in last season’s Cup competition while at Sydney FC the young forward has been declared ineligible by Football Federation Australia.

Koren, 35, and Zullo, 27, were both substituted against Victory, Koren in the 57th minute and Zullo at half time.

Koren, City’s international marquee, missed the first nine games of last season with a calf tear, while Zullo, on the comeback trail from a long term knee injury, has also battled calf niggles during pre-season.

Just as City’s injury crisis seemed to be easing, Koren is set to miss two weeks while Zullo’s injury is considered a three-four week prospect.

It means youngsters Stefan Mauk and Steve Kuzmanovski, impressive after coming on as second half substitutes against Victory, are set to be rewarded with spots in the starting line-up.

“It would be massive. No doubt it would be a great achievement if we get in to the final,” van’t Schip said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ffa-cup/ffa-cup-melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-says-players-must-fight-hard-against-perth-glory/story-fno7mzzd-1227576318099?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So 3 yellow cards in last year's cup means he's not eligible for this year's semifinal ... WTF ??? What happened to the games we've already played? Did the club fck up and not have him in the squad till now? Serious questions need to be asked.

I agree, it's a farce. Cards from last year should not carry over either.

So 3 yellow cards in last year's cup means he's not eligible for this year's semifinal ... WTF ??? What happened to the games we've already played? Did the club fck up and not have him in the squad till now? Serious questions need to be asked.

My conclusion is that the answer to your question is "yes."

• Like 1

FFA Cup: Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip says players must fight hard against Perth Glory

Matt Windley

October 20 2015

MELBOURNE City coach John van’t Schip says his players must be prepared to go to war for 120 minutes in Wednesday night’s FFA Cup semi-final against Perth Glory.

But City players will have to do so without the services of key players Robert Koren and Michael Zullo, who have both succumbed to calf strains and will miss not only tonight’s cut-throat game, but at least Sunday’s league clash with Central Coast as well.

The prospect of a Melbourne derby Cup final at Etihad Stadium looms large should City win and van’t Schip yesterday implored his charges not to make life harder for themselves by not switching on from the first whistle, as they did against Victory last weekend.

“The opponent is going to be tough, but if you make it tougher yourself by not being prepared then it doubles up,” van’t Schip said.

“There has to be an absolute will to win ... extra time if you need to, penalties if you need to.

“Mentally, and I hope we learned from the first half of Saturday, you have to be there from minute one and show the qualities that you have as a team and as a player.

“I think if we do that we have a good team and also a good chance to get a good result.”

City will make at least three changes to the side that lost 3-2 to Victory on Saturday night, with Tando Velaphi also confirmed as a certain starter, as he has been for the side’s three Cup games to date.

Likely to be joining regular A-League goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen on the bench are returning trio David Williams, Jacob Melling and Ben Garuccio.

City had hoped new signing Corey Gameiro would be able to play, but given he picked up three yellow cards in last season’s Cup competition while at Sydney FC the young forward has been declared ineligible by Football Federation Australia.

Koren, 35, and Zullo, 27, were both substituted against Victory, Koren in the 57th minute and Zullo at half time.

Koren, City’s international marquee, missed the first nine games of last season with a calf tear, while Zullo, on the comeback trail from a long term knee injury, has also battled calf niggles during pre-season.

Just as City’s injury crisis seemed to be easing, Koren is set to miss two weeks while Zullo’s injury is considered a three-four week prospect.

It means youngsters Stefan Mauk and Steve Kuzmanovski, impressive after coming on as second half substitutes against Victory, are set to be rewarded with spots in the starting line-up.

“It would be massive. No doubt it would be a great achievement if we get in to the final,” van’t Schip said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ffa-cup/ffa-cup-melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-says-players-must-fight-hard-against-perth-glory/story-fno7mzzd-1227576318099?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

F*** me. Etihad the likely stadium to host the final should both Melb teams make it.

My conclusion is that the answer to your question is "yes."

IMO it's more FFA bullshit.

If a player is ineligible for the next game because of suspension, then why would you name him in the squad in the first place? He is not allowed to play anyway.

Irrespective of injury or whatever, there is simply no reason to name a player in a game squad if they are ineligible for that game.

Just more unnecessary crap to deal with.

Even if the team was near full strength I'd be impressed by a win here. Lot's of reasons the Heart of old or even last year's City would lose this. For starters it's an away game and our record in that department isn't amazing. It's in Perth a few days after a Derby. It's an important game and it's early in the season when we traditionally do poorly. 

So given the outs I would consider a win here to be massive. I'm trying to positive about this season and a win here would do wonders.