Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

Relatedly, if I never hear the 'Archie Thompson beats up his wife' chant again it will be too soon. Given Australia seems to finally be having a serious conversation about domestic violence (more than 67 women dead so far this year alone), it would be great if we could get with the program. Especially since 1 in 6 Australian women have experienced physical or sexual violence from a partner, which means a substantial proportion of our own supporters have in fact been beaten up by their partners and don't need to be reminded of it while they're trying to enjoy watching the game.

I thought we were doing a community service by bringing to the public's attention the forementioned violence.

Relatedly, if I never hear the 'Archie Thompson beats up his wife' chant again it will be too soon. Given Australia seems to finally be having a serious conversation about domestic violence (more than 67 women dead so far this year alone), it would be great if we could get with the program. Especially since 1 in 6 Australian women have experienced physical or sexual violence from a partner, which means a substantial proportion of our own supporters have in fact been beaten up by their partners and don't need to be reminded of it while they're trying to enjoy watching the game.

Get a grip dude.

Im pretty sure 99.9% of society are aware that beating up their partner is wrong.

If you want PC, go watch the AFL.

• Like 1

I think it´s less about being PC and more about creating a safe environment for women and victims of domestic violence (of which there are many).

One thing that surprised me from being at the game against Heidelberg (the first game in Australia I had attended at a lower level than A-League) is that the ratio of men to women was was so incredibly high. It´s something I´ve never experienced at the cricket or AFL. I think if the league and this sport are serious about advancing the game in this country, this issue needs to be addressed, because as far as I can tell, the number of female participants is higher than most of the other national sports. Moreover, people on this forum have recently complained about our dwindling membership and attendance numbers. Surely if the atmosphere at games is more appealing to women, our and the rest of the clubs´ membership numbers will only grow.

Anyway, that´s my 2c.

• Like 2

I like the bit where he said 'a substantial proportion of our own supporters have in fact been beaten up by their partners'.

WTF?

He's making that assertion on a statistical basis.

But look, could we continue this discussion in its own thread, perhaps in The Club Room forum?

• Like 1

He's making that assertion on a statistical basis.

But look, could we continue this discussion in its own thread, perhaps in The Club Room forum?

Or could we accept that some people like it, some people don't. People will continue singing it. The capo certainly doesn't actively start it but it generates noise. Beating up women is bad and BT50 is a cunt. 

Conversation over.

• Like 5

I think it´s less about being PC and more about creating a safe environment for women and victims of domestic violence (of which there are many).

One thing that surprised me from being at the game against Heidelberg (the first game in Australia I had attended at a lower level than A-League) is that the ratio of men to women was was so incredibly high. It´s something I´ve never experienced at the cricket or AFL. I think if the league and this sport are serious about advancing the game in this country, this issue needs to be addressed, because as far as I can tell, the number of female participants is higher than most of the other national sports. Moreover, people on this forum have recently complained about our dwindling membership and attendance numbers. Surely if the atmosphere at games is more appealing to women, our and the rest of the clubs´ membership numbers will only grow.

Anyway, that´s my 2c.

Without being overly simplistic but Heidelberg like many other "traditional" former NSL clubs are basically supported by blokes. The main reason I see it (from experience) is that the women and generally the wives stay at home for their own break or peace and look forward to game day so that they can have some time for themselves.

Without being overly simplistic but Heidelberg like many other "traditional" former NSL clubs are basically supported by blokes. The main reason I see it (from experience) is that the women and generally the wives stay at home for their own break or peace and look forward to game day so that they can have some time for themselves.

I think we should recognise the sixteen year old Greek Girls wearing barely nothing at every Bergers games on a man hunt.

However in all seriousness Soccer crowds always have less women at them than say AFL (Which is statistically the most popular spectator sport with women in the world) because as I am sure others can attest to here... it's fucken hard to get a girlfriend to watch soccer.

• Like 3

I think we should recognise the sixteen year old Greek Girls wearing barely nothing at every Bergers games on a man hunt.

However in all seriousness Soccer crowds always have less women at them than say AFL (Which is statistically the most popular spectator sport with women in the world) because as I am sure others can attest to here... it's fucken hard to get a girlfriend to watch soccer.

Mine just comes for the alcohol.

My new girlfriend actually genuinely thinks it was an superb effort of endurance for her to watch 15 minutes of the AFL Grand Final last Saturday on my couch.

So yeah I have accepted she will not be watching any Soccer.

So do I. It was one of the most boring sporting event presentations I've seen. I lasted less than 10 minutes in total, spread over the whole game.

• Like 1

Cadete you have so many girlfriends can you share your tips and tricks?? 

For you Strides: "Don't be yourself".

And I haven't had "many" Girlfriends it's just been an odd year for me as I came out of a eight year relationship at the start of the year and was with another girl in between the one I recently started dating. 

• Like 6

For you Strides: "Don't be yourself".

And I haven't had "many" Girlfriends it's just been an odd year for me as I came out of a eight year relationship at the start of the year and was with another girl in between the one I recently started dating. 

Why are u so mean to me det

I doubt it will happen but its time to bench Paartalu and Koren 

Retre       Chapman     Kisnorbo          Zullo

Melling

Mauk      Mooy

Dekker             Tuna                      Gamerio

• Like 2