Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

Not sure if it's been brought up earlier but what was with those extra 2 officials on the bye line. They were holding some sort of wand or stick. I'm pretty sure the ref referred to him for that first pen. And seriously to give 4 penalties in a match is very uncommon. 

Just wondering what's the story with these extra officials and if they are to be used in the season proper. 

For me they should have put extra people on behind the bar rather than the touchline.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 3

Not sure if it's been brought up earlier but what was with those extra 2 officials on the bye line. They were holding some sort of wand or stick. I'm pretty sure the ref referred to him for that first pen. And seriously to give 4 penalties in a match is very uncommon. 

Just wondering what's the story with these extra officials and if they are to be used in the season proper. 

For me they should have put extra people on behind the bar rather than the touchline.

Yeah I was thinking what are these guys doing here. Is this something to expect in the actual league games?

It's like the flags the linesmen hold, but without the flags. At the handle there is a button which they press when they see a foul, when the Ref hasn't got a good view... It then sends a signal to the Ref, which makes this GPS looking thing he has strapped to his back vibrate. 

It's like the flags the linesmen hold, but without the flags. At the handle there is a button which they press when they see a foul, when the Ref hasn't got a good view... It then sends a signal to the Ref, which makes this GPS looking thing he has strapped to his back vibrate. 

who is your daddy and what does he do?

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking what are these guys doing here. Is this something to expect in the actual league games?

Maybe they're trying them out after all the terrible decisions made over the last few years. On a side note I'm surprised your here taking to us rabble of a supporter group. 

Was o/s so couldn't get to the match. Just watched it on the fox replay.  Great match to watch, some weaknesses but we now seem to have a reasonable team. Would have been a great match to have been at, good noise from Melburnians. Watching on Foxtel however was bad. They need to get better commentators - as Tesla said shit. Looking forward to this season.

the dam seagulls were in the bloody way I could barely see the goals on the highlights package

• Like 1

I'd like to believe that the club has had a bit of cheek about it and in response to MFootballs bullshit article above has written it's own "Five things we learnt" article.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/five-things-we-learned-melbourne-city-fc-5-1-wellington-phoenix/1jdkcqhzeqlj31ncbqfjkb1jkg

Edited by n i k o

I'd like to believe that the club has had a bit of cheek about it and in response to MFootballs bullshit article above has written it's own "Five things we learnt" article.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/five-things-we-learned-melbourne-city-fc-5-1-wellington-phoenix/1jdkcqhzeqlj31ncbqfjkb1jkg

mFootball is just some pleb in his mums basement

like me but worse

• Like 5

Perhaps the main thing that pleased me about this match was the depth it showed in the team. The Adelaide match hinted at it (a second string Melbourne City side matching it with an Adelaide team that was more first team players than not), and this match backed up the idea that we should have pretty good depth this season.

Our attack is looking pretty good. Fornaroli impressed me with his hard-working and busy performance, and I reckon he'll be no stranger to goals next season. It was very positive to see Koren score from open play, and whilst some passes and shots still went off-target from him I'm increasingly believing he'll be much better next season. Novillo is playing much better as hoped (he just has to stay fit). Aaron Mooy (the FFA Cup top scorer currently) will get on the scoresheet. Dekker can get in position and keep his cool in front of goal. Zinni really impressed me with his confidence in attack, and I thought Zullo showed some good glimpses when he briefly played as a winger. And we still have Gameiro, Kuzmanovski and Williams to join the team, and I'm tipping Gameiro to make a real impact, and Kuzmanovski and Williams to play useful roles off the bench.  

Wellington had an excellent midfield, with Bonevacia, McGlinchey and Riera all playing the whole game, so it's a real positive IMO how well our midfield did, with Mooy, Koren and Paartalu all playing 90 minutes and putting in good shifts. In particular, I think Paartalu is benefiting from a full pre-season, with him having a busy game on Wednesday. And hopefully with a whole pre-season together our midfield trio will be a really effective unit come Round 1 of the A-League season. Especially with Melling yet to rejoin the team, I reckon things are looking good in midfield.

And the defence is looking pretty sturdy, like it was overall in the second half of last season. In particular Paulo Retre and Velaphi are showing that they can more than hold their own against A-League opposition. Also I thought Chapman had a solid game. Given that we still have Socceroo Franjic and quite possibly EPL goalkeeper Sorensen to join the team, Melbourne City will have something that it's never had before: quality and depth in defence. It'll be a very big and welcome change from previous seasons.

So very good signs at this point in time IMO. Hopefully this depth enables the team to still perform at a high level when 2 or 3 of our best players are unavailable. And there's still some time left in pre-season for some more players to show what they can do (Hughes, Mauk, Williams and Germano perhaps?) and stake a claim for significant game-time next season.  

• Like 6

Pretty sure they've used these umpires in Champions and Europa League games. Shame he couldn't see the Phoenix player fall over our playerito win their first penalty!

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic

asked as much in the other FFA Cup (general one under Australian football) thread but thought i'd posted

are the semis locked in for who plays who next or do they get redrawn again?

quite possible either way, but does make for an epic derby Nov 7 final if they stay as is. 

Edited by mattyh001

Super!!!!!! 

Olympic Village is one of my favourite venues. Hasn't changed since 1989 and you need a ticket Souva. If you bring your own ball have a kick at half time behind the grandstand.

I never understood how a suburb next to Ivanhoe can be such a shit hole.

it's because most it is housing commission. I grew up in West Heidelberg and was shit then and hasn't changed. 

I never understood how a suburb next to Ivanhoe can be such a shit hole.

It's a shithole because that's where all the commission houses are. During the 1956 Melbourne Olympics the athletes stayed around Olympic Village. After the Olympics it all turned into commission housing.

Super!!!!!! 

Olympic Village is one of my favourite venues. Hasn't changed since 1989 and you need a ticket Souva. If you bring your own ball have a kick at half time behind the grandstand.

it's because most it is housing commission. I grew up in West Heidelberg and was shit then and hasn't changed. 

Favorite venues?  Personally, I think it's a hole. The lighting is shit, ground has a hill where the goals are and stadium is so dull. But you are right, it hasn't changed at all even when I played for their yoof 15 years ago. And to this day I don't know what they are? They spoke Maco, had Maco music game day then spoke Greek when the wind blew.

Edited by Tony999

Favorite venues?  Personally, I think it's a hole. The lighting is shit, ground has a hill where the goals are and stadium is so dull. But you are right, it hasn't changed at all even when I played for their yoof 15 years ago. And to this day I don't know what they are? They spoke Maco, had Maco music game day then spoke Greek when the wind blew.

...and here's me thinking you were actually only 15 years old yourself... hmmm... ;)

• Like 2

It's a shithole because that's where all the commission houses are. During the 1956 Melbourne Olympics the athletes stayed around Olympic Village. After the Olympics it all turned into commission housing.

It's going to have to change soon enough though. Affordable blocks and townhouses that close to the city and in such close proximity to such trendy/affluent suburbs as Ivanhoe and Northcote aren't exactly growing on trees.

I know people are complaining, but a SF spot is being handed to us on a silver platter against a team that plays closer to my house than AAMI Park. I'll take it gladly...I don't care if it's a bog heap.