Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

I am referring to Melbourne City.

"Headquartered in Manchester, City Football Group has offices in Abu Dhabi, London, New York, Melbourne, Tokyo and now in Singapore"

Things like this are a reminder that we only exist to be part of a giant international chain-restaurant style setup. I am obviously not "against modern football" or I wouldnt be here, but having this weird World business/football empire is just a bit much at times and I dont know how I feel about it

Well I can understand where you are coming from. So much has changed in the last 7 years at our club, it has been difficult even for some of our fans to take it all in. There are many local fans in the big clubs in the EPL, who feel they are being treated as second class citizens, as the clubs chase new fans and investment.

• Like 1

I dont want to come across as ungrateful because i truly believe that had we not been bought by CFG we would have eventually folded, but reading things like that just makes me realize how much more we have access to than all the other clubs put together in the league.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I dont want to come across as ungrateful because i truly believe that had we not been bought by CFG we would have eventually folded, but reading things like that just makes me realize how much more we have access to than all the other clubs put together in the league.

Take it from me, there are many City fans who would like to go back to the pre Mansour days. There are things that happen even over here that pisses fans off.

For instance I know 2 lads who have booked to go to Seville next week and can't get a ticket because 900 have been held back for corporate. This is the type of thing that upsets all fans.

I do believe that CFG have made errors in Melbourne and hope they listen more to the local fans, because this is where the true support comes from.

Take it from me, there are many City fans who would like to go back to the pre Mansour days. There are things that happen even over here that pisses fans off.

For instance I know 2 lads who have booked to go to Seville next week and can't get a ticket because 900 have been held back for corporate. This is the type of thing that upsets all fans.

I do believe that CFG have made errors in Melbourne and hope they listen more to the local fans, because this is where the true support comes from.

For sure. I can understand that for people who grew up with man city in their blood. But for us it wasnt a club we went and saw with our dads crowing up, so I wouldn't say i want to go back- but thays not to say i wasnt very fond of the humble club we were a part of. I just hope that when success comes (and with all those resources behind us i am beginning to realize it is a matter of when not if) it doesn't feel hollow. Like we have used an "unlimited money" cheat.

Mind you. As i have said previously, if we can bring a level of popularity to soccer in Australia never seen before then i imagine i would be hugely proud to be a part of that. So we wil see what happens i suppose 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

For sure. I can understand that for people who grew up with man city in their blood. But for us it wasnt a club we went and saw with our dads crowing up, so I wouldn't say i want to go back- but thays not to say i wasnt very fond of the humble club we were a part of. I just hope that when success comes (and with all those resources behind us i am beginning to realize it is a matter of when not if) it doesn't feel hollow. Like we have used an "unlimited money" cheat.

Mind you. As i have said previously, if we can bring a level of popularity to soccer in Australia never seen before then i imagine i would be hugely proud to be a part of that. So we wil see what happens i suppose 

I would hope it doesn't - the A-League wage cap rules should mean that there is always a level of parity which means that winning the league is at least an achievement and a challenge rather than being a case of "he who spends, wins". I understand what you are saying, though. I think the fact that I have engaged so much with the various CFG clubs has given me a wider understanding of what it means to support clubs at different levels and different stages of development, and I agree with Silva that CFG needs to be careful to respect its various clubs' identities and their supporters, which is something it hasn't necessarily been perfect at up until now.

I thought that CFG mentioned that the CFA Melbourne was meant to be the hub of not just its Australian ops but also Asia. Interesting really :)

Overall though this makes sense to keep closer to its business partners in Asia.

I think you need to distinguish between footballing and commercial hub. This Singapore office seems to literally be there simply to facilitate negotiating sponsorships with East Asian companies. Perhaps Singapore offers better tax rates, perhaps it simply cuts a few hours off travel times to meet up with potential partners. It's also several hours behind Melbourne, offering it the chance to synch with office hours of more Asian countries.

Even if this did end up with a link-up with a Singaporean club (unlikely, I think, though worth noting that this is the first CFG office in a country where CFG don't have a more material investment already) I still reckon the Melbourne facilities would be considered the prime footballing facilities in the SE Asia/Pacific region.

978084-66954118-7c51-11e5-b984-b6d6a772c

Left to right: Sergio Aguero, unnamed City person(back to camera), David Cameron (Prime Minister of the United Kingdom), Patrick Vieira, and Xi JinPing (President of China). Source: AFP

British Prime Minister David Cameron (C), Chinese President Xi Jinping (R), Manchester City's Head of the Elite Development Squad Patrick Vieira (2R), Manchester City's Argenti

It's utterly irrelevant to the conversation, but my pathological need to fill in missing information in conversations requires me to point that "unnamed City person" is Toni Duggan, Manchester City Women and England striker.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

It's utterly irrelevant to the conversation, but my pathological need to fill in missing information in conversations requires me to point that "unnamed City person" is Toni Duggan, Manchester City Women and England striker.

I like how all the lads are focused on her.

Tipping I would be too if I was there.....

Edited by rass

Was absolutely stunned when I saw that on Sunday. How could a club nicknamed 'the reds' wear a strip like that? As much as people might've said that Melbourne Heart wouldn't have lasted much longer, you only need to take a look around at the other teams to see \how much of a rabble alot of the teams are. What with salary cap breaches, ownership battles and competing for a license I always felt quietly confident it wasn't all doom and gloom like others thought.

Having said that I'm so thankful for the CFG for putting some life back into our club. I'd feel alot better about it CFG made some attempt to connect the old with the new, but they just don't acknowledge anything of the past. I think it would be great if they had a 'Heart round' where we wore our away strip at a home game and we could bring some players back or show some highlights of our club before CFG. 

I'm still trying to work out how I feel about the whole thing, and really if it wasn't for the familiar active area I'm not sure I'd have the same love for the club as I do now. For what it's worth I still wear my old heart shirt to the games with my City scarf and I think I always will. To some people that might seem obnoxious, but I'm not trying to turn my nose up at anyone saying 'I was here before you' because of course we need new fans and I'm always trying to bring mates down to watch the games, I just feel that if the fans don't keep the Heart connection going then who will? 

• Like 6

Was absolutely stunned when I saw that on Sunday. How could a club nicknamed 'the reds' wear a strip like that? As much as people might've said that Melbourne Heart wouldn't have lasted much longer, you only need to take a look around at the other teams to see \how much of a rabble alot of the teams are. What with salary cap breaches, ownership battles and competing for a license I always felt quietly confident it wasn't all doom and gloom like others thought.

Having said that I'm so thankful for the CFG for putting some life back into our club. I'd feel alot better about it CFG made some attempt to connect the old with the new, but they just don't acknowledge anything of the past. I think it would be great if they had a 'Heart round' where we wore our away strip at a home game and we could bring some players back or show some highlights of our club before CFG. 

I'm still trying to work out how I feel about the whole thing, and really if it wasn't for the familiar active area I'm not sure I'd have the same love for the club as I do now. For what it's worth I still wear my old heart shirt to the games with my City scarf and I think I always will. To some people that might seem obnoxious, but I'm not trying to turn my nose up at anyone saying 'I was here before you' because of course we need new fans and I'm always trying to bring mates down to watch the games, I just feel that if the fans don't keep the Heart connection going then who will? 

Keep doing what your doing chez.!

There's nothing to stop supporters continuing to try to indicate to CFG that we would like some red back on our home shirt - the simplest way being to replace that wretched "obsidian" dark blue stripe with red - even thinner than the present stripe would be OK with me. There's the FRG and "City Voice" where you can keep expressing your opinion.

We have kept the red and white for our away shirt, and I must say that I am surprised that Ticker has  been resurrected as a mascot - small thing I know but a positive.

There's also nothing to stop supporters having a "Heart round" themselves and encouraging everyone to wear their old Hear gear on that day. There are still many people of all ages who continue to wear it.

CFG are big on the "brand" but I'm not sure that people need the colour of the shirt to know that Melbourne City is a Manchester City sister club.

• Like 2

Does anyone actually have any proof the heart were actually going to go broke outside of "yeah they were going to go under i could just sense it"? Because from all the articles i read at the time we were breaking even at the very least (without including the money we gained from selling yoof to overseas clubs) and doing pretty well for a small club. It's just a massive misconception on here that we were a broke club, KSK said it on here a while a go that the difference between our former owners and a struggling club like CCM for instance is that our owners were tight not poor.

• Like 5

Does anyone actually have any proof the heart were actually going to go broke outside of "yeah they were going to go under i could just sense it"? Because from all the articles i read at the time we were breaking even at the very least (without including the money we gained from selling yoof to overseas clubs) and doing pretty well for a small club. It's just a massive misconception on here that we were a broke club, KSK said it on here a while a go that the difference between our former owners and a struggling club like CCM for instance is that our owners were tight not poor.

Pretty much mate we were doing ok

It was just matter of time before heart turned a corner and became a force 

We definitely were not broke, or going broke. But i still think things were unsustainable under the previous ownership. They were never going to spend the money needed to get people interested and i cant imagine many of the people on board would have stuck around for too much longer bar a handful of us tragics

• Like 1

With CFG's desire to make us Sky Blue, and the initial knock back, because of Sydney, I had a chuckle to myself when I saw Adelaide's clash strip ... distinctively light blue

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/photo-gallery/gallery-reds-beaten-in-perth-1k8fhzlq8l01c10w90xdbdo3eo

The tards played away in sky blue one season too.  

This is why I said CFG made an error judgement in not going for sky blue as the away strip. The Sky Blue Scum couldn't of mounted an effective argument and then they would have had the Man city clone jerseys for photos etc & got the mass production discount they so obviously crave.  Plus in time they could have made an assault on the home jersey.

Anyway I'm glad they didn't and I guess long term readers know why - would hate to see my team in the New South Wales colours and yep I know that's notihng to do with (this) football.  

• Like 1

There is no proof, because it simply isn't true. Peter Sidwell is on record as saying - IIRC on or about the time of the sale to the new owners - that the members of the Heart syndicate were, collectively, extremely wealthy and had the resources to fund Melbourne Heart indefinitely (or words of the same meaning).

I think the question is more whether the syndicate would ever have been prepared to put in the money required to establish an HQ and training facilities such as we have now, finance  marquee players, and employ the backroom staff that we have now. And, of course, they would not have been able to draw on the expertise of the rest of the CFG as we can now.

IMO the Heart syndicate sold the club because they are businessmen and made a profit, and they sold to Manchester City because City shared their values, or many of them, concerning the sort of club they had set out to establish. It's worth remembering that at least one prior approach to buy Heart was rejected by the syndicate. We tend to focus on things such as colours, but in reality Melbourne City has carried on Heart's work with youngsters, youth, and the community.

The members of the Heart syndicate are life members of Melbourne City. I don't think they would be so if they did not have a genuine interest in the club and its future.

We were a poorly run club, not a poor club. It's as simple as that.

Incorrect.  We were poorly run and poor.  Wealthy owners does not always equate to wealthy club. 

Sidwell and co were not prepared to fund the club, they realised they fucked up, limited the amount of cash available and promptly started to try sell the club. 

• Like 2

They underestimated how much it would cost to create a new club in a market where there is a strong established competitor. 

Once they realised it would take a large investment to get Melbourne Heart to a good level, they just tried to run it on as little money as possible. 

Whether they were actively trying to sell Heart or were just happy to keep it alive on  a shoe string budget indefinitely, I don't know. If they didn't have to dip into their pockets too much than it was a decent investment for them, as eventually TV money and interest in the league will push up the value of an A-league club substantially, which is what keeps investors in this league covering quite large losses at other clubs (while Heart wasn't doing too bad financially due to selling so many players) with no where near as much potential as Heart had (being a Melbourne team). 

We were a poorly run club, not a poor club. It's as simple as that.

I think the opposite is true actually. The club was poor, the owners had money but that's not the club's money. As for poorly run, sure we weren't doing great on the field or reaching our potential as a big city club, but it could definitely  be argued that we were one of the most sustainable clubs in the league and doing very well with the little money we were run on. Eventually TV money and interest in the league would have changed the underlying economics and the club  would be in a better financial position to try and reach its potential, or at least it would have been easier for the owners to justify putting more money in. Either way,  I think there was a long term future for Heart, and a pretty good one. It just would have been years of mediocrity before we got there. 

At the end of the day, if you're relying on wealthy owners to put in like $4m a year as other clubs apparently are, once those investors decide to cut their losses the club is fucked, just look at what almost happened with Brisbane or what did happen with extinct A-league clubs. Sustainability is underrated. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 6

The best way I find to accept all the changes at the club is to just support Melbourne City and that's it. I don't care about CFG. I couldn't give a toss tbh (sorry Manchester people). I don't support Manchester City and I never have. I don't follow the MLS so New York City doesn't interest me. I've followed Melbourne Heart since day one. I loved the feel of Heart, how it tried really hard to be a community club, how we were so shit and poor, I used to love the rare moments of joy that we'd get watching us win every now and then. I know the majority of people on here felt the same. But the reality is that not enough of us did like it. Heart was struggling on and off the field. As many have said, if not for CFG we would have gone under. Maybe not within the next season or two, but in the not too distant future. CFG buying our club meant that I could continue enjoying watching our club play. We've become more of a community active club. We've had more good moments, as well as the typical shitty Heart moments. The colours have changed, the name has changed, but to me it's just the same club with a facelift. We're still the plucky second team in Melbourne, only now we have a real shot at taking it to the scum across town both on and off the pitch. I don't worry about CFG investing in far flung corners of the world to make it part of a global network or whatever. I worry about the 11 men who walk on to AAMI Park every weekend with my club's jersey on. I care about the fans who I've made amazing friendships with over the years. I care about being able to see the excitement on my little brother's face everytime I take him to AAMI Park. I'm thankful to CFG for saving our club and for adding real financial backing, real facilities and real scouting, but what they do outside of Melbourne City does not concern me. It has taken me a long time to come around to this point of view. I was really against the changes, and was firmly in the Keep the red and white camp. Maybe its just that we're coming off seeing a win this weekend, but really all that matters is Melbourne City. Makes you a lot happier and prouder to think that way.

l cried reading that 

Incorrect.  We were poorly run and poor.  Wealthy owners does not always equate to wealthy club. 

Sidwell and co were not prepared to fund the club, they realised they fucked up, limited the amount of cash available and promptly started to try sell the club. 

True. This is probably more accurate 

• 1 month later...

Great title:

China government takes part-ownership of Melbourne City in $US400 million deal

Dec 1 2015

John Stensholt

A-League club Melbourne City will now be part-owned by the Chinese government after the club's Abu Dhabi parent company and owners of English Premier League club Manchester City clinched a $US400 million investment.

CFG announced on Tuesday it had signed a deal led by China Media Capital Holdings and including Citic Capital to take a 13 per cent stake in the entire group, which owns the Melbourne and Manchester Clubs and a majority stake New York City FC and a minority holding in Japanese club Yokohama F Marinos.

The deal values CFG at $US3 billion, making it one of the largest sports clubs in the world. It represents the first major investment in Australian sport by Chinese authorities or investors, though several Chinese companies sponsor Australian sports clubs.

Citic Capital's parent company is the majority owner of Citic Pacific, the mining company in the midst of a bitter legal dispute with MP and businessman Clive Palmer, who at one time owned now defunct A-League club Gold Coast United.

The owners of Manchester City, the ruling family of Abu Dhabi's CFG, bought the A-League club formerly known as Melbourne Heart for $11.25 million in January 2013. CFG bought Manchester City in 2008 for £210 million from the disgraced former Thailand president Thaksin Shinawatra.

Until now, the football business has been owned by Abu Dhabi United Group, an investment and development company privately owned by Sheikh Mansour. The Prince has poured hundreds of millions of pounds into the Manchester club, which has won two EPL titles in the past five seasons and is known as the richest club in the world.

By some estimates Abu Dhabi has poured more than £1 billion into CFG's football businesses around the world. Manchester City recently announced a £10.7 million profit for 2015, the first since Sheikh Mansour became owner in 2008.

China Media Capital is leading a consortium that includes investment firm CITIC Capital, which undertakes real estate and private equity investments around the world. China Media Capital recently entered into an agreement to form a joint venture with movie giant Warner Brothers, Flagship Entertainment Group Limited, to develop and produce a string of Chinese-language films for distribution around the world.

Chinese businessman Ruigang Li, the Chairman of CMC, will join the CFG board. China Media Capital also owns media rights to the Chinese soccer league and other sports and production rights in the country.

The China deal announcement followed more than six months of discussions among the parties. The capital from the share acquisition will be used by CFG to fund China growth strategies, further its international business expansion opportunities and further develop CFG infrastructure assets around the world. 

At the time Manchester City's owners took an 80 per cent stake in the Heart - the name of which was changed to Melbourne City later in 2013 - with 20 per cent being held by Melbourne businessmen Gerry Ryan, Bart Campbell and Matthew Tripp, and New Zealand entrepreneur Michael Watt. The quartet were bought out for $2.25 million earlier this year by CFG

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/china-government-takes-partownership-of-melbourne-city-in-us400-million-deal-20151201-glcl79

If you want to attract Chinese people please change the colour to RED! Start from Melbourne City!

2 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Well Melbourne does have a large Chinese population so this is good for crowds (if we actually become consistent, not with jvs though), as well as keeping the red :D

Yes, there are lots of Chinese people here and few of them care about football. Most of people who watching a-league here support tards, because we don't win games and tards had exposure to ACL.

Last year the arrival of Villa attract some Chinese people come to watch us and the fact is we cannot win any of those games