Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

In Melbourne, this included featuring the city’s municipal flag in the design to reflect the fact that fans had carried the flag to games prior to CFG’s takeover. Such moves helped to minimise the controversy caused by the club’s rebrand.

Interesting that this was the only area of the whole re-branding exercise that was not controversial and had near universal acceptance. I wonder of CFG has learnt anything from that? Incorporating local identity creates support and cohesion, transplanting identity may be prestigious for sponsors but is divisive and I think will ultimately be less value to sponsors in the long term.

Do Melbourne City members have any benefits in regard to seeing Manchester City play, like a ticket discount or something?

I think we had something last year like a flight special with Etihad? Don't really remember.

Will probably be going to the UK later in the year and will be based not too far away from Manchester for a lot of the time so I wouldn't mind seeing a game. I'd like to see a few stadiums/games/etc while there and Man City seems like a logical choice for one of them.

Edited by Tesla

Do Melbourne City members have any benefits in regard to seeing Manchester City play, like a ticket discount or something?

I think we had something last year like a flight special with Etihad? Don't really remember.

Will probably be going to the UK later in the year and will be based not too far away from Manchester for a lot of the time so I wouldn't mind seeing a game. I'd like to see a few stadiums/games/etc while there and Man City seems like a logical choice for one of them.

Hit up David Lyon, hes moved over there now hasnt he

• Like 2

I would go on to the Manchester City Official website. I am sure there is an email address that you can send to and ask them about tickets etc

Tesla, suggest you look here. http://www.mcfc.com/The-Club/Business-directory

They do also have accommodation/ticket packages if you really want to splash out...http://thomsonsport.com/event/manchester-city-fc-home-matches

• Like 1

Was just talking to malloy about this, but it's crazy how better resourced the club is these days.

In the Melbourne Heart days, seemingly the only people that worked at the club in non-footballing roles were Munn, Lyons, and a secretary. Now there are all these people around, marketing director, someone solely in charge of citizens program, even seemingly a full time graphics designer (though I dont see what they'd be doing full time), etc.

This is why I, as well as others who were privy to how the club was run previously behind the scenes, defend Munn so much. Because the bloke was doing the job of about 5 people with no resources at all, looking back at it now and comparing to City I have no fucking idea how Melbourne Heart even existed.

But it seems the club is where it needs to be now off the field, just the on field results need to follow. 

Edited by Tesla

Was just talking to malloy about this, but it's crazy how better resourced the club is these days.

In the Melbourne Heart days, seemingly the only people that worked at the club in non-footballing roles were Munn, Lyons, and a secretary. Now there are all these people around, marketing director, someone solely in charge of citizens program, even seemingly a full time graphics designer (though I dont see what they'd be doing full time), etc.

This is why I, as well as others who were privy to how the club was run previously behind the scenes, defend Munn so much. Because the bloke was doing the job of about 5 people with no resources at all, looking back at it now and comparing to City I have no fucking idea how Melbourne Heart even existed.

But it seems the club is where it needs to be now off the field, just the on field results need to follow. 

Are you happy with cities recruitment ? 

Are you happy with cities recruitment ? 

What does that have to do with what I'm saying about the non-footballing side of the club? Because that's a footballing issue.

But to answer your question, yes I am. Are people actually not happy with it?

What does that have to do with what I'm saying about the non-footballing side of the club? Because that's a footballing issue.

But to answer your question, yes I am. Are people actually not happy with it?

I think it falls under the banner of Munns tenure. And yes by League standards other clubs have been able recruit better players with seemingly less resources FBK Berisha etc.

I think it falls under the banner of Munns tenure. And yes by League standards other clubs have been able recruit better players with seemingly less resources FBK Berisha etc.

Honestly I'm not even sure JD has much to do with player signings apart from the administrative side of it, let alone Scott Munn. Pretty sure JVS is primarily responsible for selecting the players to sign.

But anyway, I think our signings have been good. The only major difference between our squad and Victory's is that we have a marquee who hasn't performed because he is played out of position and doesn't get along with the manager.

Btw, Victory would be spending more on wages than us, Berisha is on $1m a year isn't he?

Edited by Tesla

Perhaps not Melbourne related but CFG related in asia definitely... -_-

CM7z8HkWoAAP_jF.png

It's definitely interesting. As I said on Bluemoon, I suspect that this means we are about to found City Soccer Schools China (i.e. footballing week-long camps for kids), although many are speculating it means CFG are looking to buy a Chinese team. Will be interesting either way.

Can´t see us buy a Chinese team anytime soon... Can see us operate several soccer schools/academies like the "right to dream" one in Ghana.

I suspect this is more like the set-up in the UAE personally. If they seriously wanted to create a proper academy which can genuinely pump out kids good enough to play professionally they wouldn't be hiring people by putting out general invitations to the public for anyone with a B licence to put their names forward, they would be headhunting top academy coaches from major clubs.

Anyway, I'd be happy to be wrong, but I suspect this is what's going on.

I suspect this is more like the set-up in the UAE personally. If they seriously wanted to create a proper academy which can genuinely pump out kids good enough to play professionally they wouldn't be hiring people by putting out general invitations to the public for anyone with a B licence to put their names forward, they would be headhunting top academy coaches from major clubs.

Anyway, I'd be happy to be wrong, but I suspect this is what's going on.

Both wrong.

they are preparing a place to transfer JVS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. I can imagine a bunch of suits all sitting around in a boardroom while someone at the front is showing a pie chart saying ""fold the club" comments were down a whopping 57.2% while "10 year contract plz" comments were up 23.7%!"

You are one of the reasons I spend far too much time on this Forum.

But I still miss your photography.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, but maybe won't too directly effect Melbourne City. With CFG creating City Football Japan earlier this year CFG really is expanding into Asia:

Manchester City FC's owner sets up Singapore subsidiary

27 October 2015

The owner of Manchester City football club has set up a Singapore subsidiary to oversee its businesses in Southeast Asia.

City Football Group (CFG), whose subsidiaries include clubs like New York City FC, Melbourne City FC and Yokohama F· Marinos, said City Football Singapore will work closely with partners including Singha, Nexen Tire, QNET, SHB and Jiwasraya.

Omar Berrada, Group Commercial Director of City Football Group, said, “Football continues to grow across the region and attract fantastic and passionate support. We saw this first-hand when Manchester City played in Vietnam in pre-season.

“City Football Singapore gives us a permanent home from which we can work with our partners to manage and activate those relationships, as well as helping us to continue to expand.”

Headquartered in Manchester, City Football Group has offices in Abu Dhabi, London, New York, Melbourne, Tokyo and now in Singapore.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/manchester-city-fc-s-owner-sets-up-singapore-subsidiary-073005321.html

Good interview here with a CFG senior executive explaining their move into SE Asia: http://www.prweek.com/article/1370045/relevant-football-content-key-manchester-city-owners-brand-expansion-asean

Edited by Murfy1

978084-66954118-7c51-11e5-b984-b6d6a772c

Left to right: Sergio Aguero, unnamed City person(back to camera), David Cameron (Prime Minister of the United Kingdom), Patrick Vieira, and Xi JinPing (President of China). Source: AFP

British Prime Minister David Cameron (C), Chinese President Xi Jinping (R), Manchester City's Head of the Elite Development Squad Patrick Vieira (2R), Manchester City's Argenti

Which club are you referring to?

Personally I don't see a problem with having offices in the regions you have sponsorship. You need sponsorship to grow your club, that is modern football.

I am referring to Melbourne City.

"Headquartered in Manchester, City Football Group has offices in Abu Dhabi, London, New York, Melbourne, Tokyo and now in Singapore"

Things like this are a reminder that we only exist to be part of a giant international chain-restaurant style setup. I am obviously not "against modern football" or I wouldnt be here, but having this weird World business/football empire is just a bit much at times and I dont know how I feel about it

• Like 2

I am referring to Melbourne City.

"Headquartered in Manchester, City Football Group has offices in Abu Dhabi, London, New York, Melbourne, Tokyo and now in Singapore"

Things like this are a reminder that we only exist to be part of a giant international chain-restaurant style setup. I am obviously not "against modern football" or I wouldnt be here, but having this weird World business/football empire is just a bit much at times and I dont know how I feel about it

I totally agree with what you say and if I dwell on the thought too long it doesn't make this 'club' feel like a real club but more a corporation.

So I just try to enjoy the football and the passion our fans bring which is as authentic as any other.

• Like 1