Melbourne Football

Round 22: Sydney v. City, Friday 20 March 7.40 pm

jw1739

Today's defeat of Brisbane by Sydney has helped us a little bit. Ironically they are our opponents in our next match.

Brisbane's next two matches are a home ACL match on Wednesday 18th and then a home A-league match against Wellington Phoenix on Sunday 22nd.

We just need to keep plugging away, one match at a time. Sydney are good in attack, but seem vulnerable in defence. I think we're in with a chance of at least one point.

Yep, this will be tough, they're on a roll...

I do think they can be vulnerable however and that they are riding their luck somewhat. Massive if, but if we can concentrate for the whole game and keep Janko and co in check, we just could come away with a result.

Tony999 is my hero.

While Sydney did score 5, they conceded 4, so not a 100% thrashing of Roar.

That being said, we need to bring our a game to win this (White jersey, Jaliens' afro freshly permed, extra short shorts for Novillo and etc lucky charms).

Gonna be a real tough one.

Edited by bellydrum

Tony999 is my hero.

While Sydney did score 5, they conceded 4, so not a 100% thrashing of Roar.

That being said, we need to bring our a game to win this (White jersey, Jaliens' afro freshly permed, extra short shorts for Novillo and etc lucky charms).

Gonna be a real tough one.

Ben Wallace from the Detroit Pistons used to do the 'mushroom cloud afro at home/braided on the road' routine. Couldn't tell you exactly how that went for him, but I'm not a fan of it. Au naturel please, Kew.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Paartalu?

Got no issue if it was a message being sent by JVS (and presumably he wouldn't have come on even if Kennedy had finished the game), but now he's got to stay the course and bring him off the bench, in my opinion. Too many times, he's dropped players (with good reason), given them a cameo off the bench (where they've done nothing) and...straight back in the starting lineup the next game.

Is Mooy likely to be included or will he be away on NT duties?

The way I read it, Sydney he'll play then miss next 2.The first Socceroos game is March 25 (not this Wednesday but the one next week).

Long story short, ange will want to have at least a week with them (and definitely not only two days including transit) so Mooy should miss next two

Edited by mattyh001

The way I read it, Sydney he'll play then miss next 2.The first Socceroos game is March 25 (not this Wednesday but the one next week).

Long story short, ange will want to have at least a week with them (and definitely not only two days including transit) so Mooy should miss next two

That said, at least Janko should be off with the Austrian national team so ....

Long story short, ange will want to have at least a week with them (and definitely not only two days including transit) so Mooy should miss next two That said, at least Janko should be off with the Austrian national team so ....

Janko previously missed the Austrian friendly and stated that he would rather help Sydney FC than play friendlies for the NT. So my guess is he will do the same again.

A-League: Melbourne City striker Josh Kennedy set to miss clash against Sydney FC with hip injury

David Davutovic

March 15, 2015

JOSH Kennedy looks set to miss Friday’s visit to Sydney FC with a hip injury, with Melbourne City sweating on his availability for the crunch game against Brisbane.

Scan results on Sunday confirmed a hip rotator muscle strain after the Australian marquee player limped off AAMI Park with an upper leg injury in Saturday night’s 4-0 win.

City officials are hoping he will just miss one week, with the Round 23 clash against Roar on March 28 going a long way to deciding sixth spot.

French winger Harry Novillo declared that he wants to stay at Melbourne City next season after his stellar display in Saturday night’s rout of Newcastle Jets.

Novillo, 23, was a constant threat in his first 90-minute outing since signing a fortnight ago, but lamented the fact that he only scored once after creating several chances with his skill and speed from the left wing.

Novillo signing until the end of the season as an injury-replacement for Damien Duff, but with four visa spots up for grabs next season, the former France youth international wants to stay.

“Yeah, if Melbourne City is okay to give me a contract for one or two years more, I’m okay,’’ Novillo said.

“I feel good here, I like the country and the mentality of the Australian people, I like the football. I have no problem.

“I really want to stay but only the (performances) can tell if I stay or continue in another country.

“When I broke my contract in France I played with the second team because I had a dispute with my club).

“They called me it was good because I can see a new mentality, new football and a new adventure. I’m happy to be here.

“I can make more, normally I have to score two goals, maybe three, and when I’m okay I can score more.’’

The arrival of the Lyon academy graduate, who left French second-tier club Clermont mid-season after 16 games, has helped reignite City’s ailing campaign.

Having not played since December, he said his best his yet to come, but the key was City securing a finals spot.

“I’m happy because I scored my first goal,’’ he said.

“We just want to win, my goal, my performance is nothing. We play for the team.

“Now I’m not 100 per cent, every game I (increase) my level.

“Physically I’m ok, I train good with the physio, I do ice baths, I feel good.

“The coach made a good decision for me, the first game I played 35 minutes, the second game I played 65 minutes and tonight I played the whole game.

“For me it’s good, everyday I go to the training ground to train myself and my body for no injuries.

“We have all the quality for the six. Everyday when we train we feel good, all the guys are ready to fight.’’

Coach John van’t Schip hailed Novillo’s impact for an injury ravaged side since arriving earlier this month.

“He brings something to the team a directness, he’s very threatening in his way of playing and we’re happy that we have him in,’’ he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league-melbourne-city-striker-josh-kennedy-set-to-miss-clash-against-sydney-fc-with-hip-injury/story-e6frf423-1227263765116

• Like 1

“Yeah, if Melbourne City is okay to give me a contract for one or two years more, I’m okay,’’ Novillo said.

Perfect, if he keeps performing well. His attitude is great though.

"....but lamented the fact that he only scored once after creating several chances with his skill and speed from the left wing."

"I can make more, normally I have to score two goals, maybe three, and when I’m okay I can score more.’’

"We just want to win, my goal, my performance is nothing. We play for the team."

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Perfect, if he keeps performing well. His attitude is great though.

"....but lamented the fact that he only scored once after creating several chances with his skill and speed from the left wing."

"I can make more, normally I have to score two goals, maybe three, and when I’m okay I can score more.’’

"We just want to win, my goal, my performance is nothing. We play for the team."

Wow...I'm in love with this guy. He can roll around on the ground for 45 minutes straight if it makes him happy, after those comments.

Oh god what Janko will do to us, it will probably be the greatest performance in A-league history.

Is Chapman banned for this one? I almost hope so. Dont need 2 players getting sent off, Safuwan will make it bad enough. I just hope it's after the first penalty that Safuwan goes, rather than after he's given away 2-3 penalties.

Need Jaliens and Kisnorbo as of centre backs for sure here.

Edited by Tesla

Janko will probably play against Liechtenstein on March 28. That's a European qualifier, not a friendly.

Usually the weekends games are played and then players fly off. Not sure how it will work for the Socceroos, but I'd be pretty confident Janko is playing.

Oh god what Janko will do to us, it will probably be the greatest performance in A-league history.

Is Chapman banned for this one? I almost hope so. Dont need 2 players getting sent off, Safuwan will make it bad enough. I just hope it's after the first penalty that Safuwan goes, rather than after he's given away 2-3 penalties.

Hmmm. Funereal attitude - you must be fun at parties...

Did you spend a long time in the sun yesterday without a hat?

How many goals will Sydney FC score against us?

I'll go for a minimum of 4.

I've got a funny feeling that this will be a tremendous opportunity for the club to find another way to rip our hearts out: an outstanding 90-minute performance where we comprehensively outplay Sydney to win 2-0 or 3-1 and gain points on Brisbane. Followed by a collective no-show the following week in the battle for sixth, where Brisbane wins 2-0.

Arnold will be LIVID about their defending v Brisbane, he'll be after nothing less than a clean sheet. This should suit us as (at this stage of Arnold's tenure) I think bling are at their best when they adopt a "we'll score more than you" attitude. When they look to grind out results (think pre asian cup) they're less effective.

We're due a scrappy away win and I have a funny feeling that's what we'll get

What I would play. Mooy being the box to box midfielder and Germano, for a few reasons, acting more in the playmaker role. I'd put Koren up front. I think this sets us up strong defensively as well as having enough attacking flair up front.

Velaphi

Jaliens Chapman Kisnorbo Safuwan

Paartalu

Mooy Germano

Duga Koren Novillo

Subs: Retre, Clisby, Williams, Redmayne, Ramsey

First sub of mine would be Williams for Duga around the 60th minute. Germano may have to come off later, so I would put Ramsey on the left, Novillo in the centre and Williams on the right. Koren would drop into Germanos position as playmaker which suits him.

Edited by n i k o

Is there a possibility that either Mauk, Melling or Marino being available? Of course if Melling is available he is an automatic inclusion for me, either on the bench or in the starting XI. But I am thinking that perhaps we could bring in Marino or Mauk to play upfront. Although I know that this game is important and difficult, I wonder whether Espindola may be worth a selection. I am not sure what mate can bring to the game so he would be my obvious exclusion.

One game ban last I heard. There was suppose to be another discussion on any possible further punishment but I haven't heard anything about it.

Is there a rule preventing players from playing if a decision by the Disciplinary Committee is pending?

I guess the DC will most likely hand down their decision well before the match anyway, so the point is moot, but it'd be interesting if we had a mid-week match for example.

I can't see him escaping further punishment though. 'Manhandling' the ref is serious. I doubt he'll be able to play though, which means Jaliens will be CB and Clisby LB.

Thought Chapman would be a shoe-in for olyroos 

I'm pretty stunned by his omission as well. Chapman was nominated for the A-League Best Young Player of the Year award, with him being named the best young player for the month of February, and yet he couldn't make this Under 23's 23-man squad. 

It works out pretty well for Melbourne City though, as maybe he'll be available to play later this month whilst the Olyroos will be in action.

It also means that Donarchie from Brisbane Roar has been selected, so together with Socceroos call ups, it means for Brisbane Roar:

McKay, DeVere, Donachie and Brown are likely to miss three Hyundai A-League games – against Western Sydney Wanderers (25 March), Melbourne City (28 March) and Central Coast Mariners (2 April).

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/olympics-quest-begins-for-roar-duo/tekozevewvcc1vbdvk5595060

So Brisbane will be missing their captain McKay and effectively their whole defence (DeVere, Donachie and Brown) for these 3 crunch A-League games over 8 days. And given that they just shipped 5 goals yesterday against Sydney, I reckon Brisbane will have a significant amount of difficulties in the remaining rounds of their A-League campaign.

Edited by Murfy1