Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

5 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

Almost sounds like a throw in the towel sort of logic, even giving up on himself and doesn't want to push himself to take the next step. And he's, what, 24? 

Unreasonable for mine. I don't think anyone would say the same about Broich or Berisha who came here in their 20's.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Some completely uncalled-for associations being made there between Novillo's incident and the Batty case, but that's what happens when the media is given the opportunity for speculation.

The author is just describing the current mood in Australia surrounding domestic violence. Don't see anything wrong with it at all. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JC22 said:

I've got it from a very good source that he doesn't want to go any higher. He loves it here and never wants to leave.

Fuck I hope everything is OK here and we see him play for us again.

45 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

Almost sounds like a throw in the towel sort of logic, even giving up on himself and doesn't want to push himself to take the next step. And he's, what, 24? 

41 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Unreasonable for mine. I don't think anyone would say the same about Broich or Berisha who came here in their 20's.

Not everyone feels the need to be a worldbeater. If that is true that he loves it here and doesn't want to leave, sounds like he has achieved what he wants out of life. Good on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

Completely understandable though.

He is guy who is a bit eccentric but was talked up as a junior and has an ego that never really had a prolonged good experience at a club in Europe, who is now playing at a club that offers him a multitude of benefits:

• His ego gets fed as one of Melbourne City's big three attacking players, and is thus loved by the fans.
  • On top of this he is considered one of the better players in the league which he obviously loves
  • He is paid accordingly, and ontop of that the club is going out of its way to give him as many side benefits as the cap allows
  • He gets to live in a safe, big city that offers a quality wide range of everything from food to nightlife
  • He is in a league where he can get away with being a bit lazy if he wants, and where his brilliance means that he can be the matchwinner

Consider his past experiences have been at clubs where he has struggled for a game and continually received criticism for his attitude and work rate and not gotten along with teammates, and now he is at a club that see's his antics as him "just being Harry". I can absolutely see why he wouldn't want to head back to Europe anytime soon to try to grind out a slightly better career when his is flourishing so well here. What more could a 24 year old want?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

Being a professional footballer isn't exactly a "normal" occupation - only the very best are being sought after once they're over 30. Perhaps he'd rather enjoy 6-10 years playing at a level where he can be a star and successful rather than chase something that probably won't happen? Big fish in little pond rather than the alternative?

LOL stupid club more interested in PR than anything else, bloke wasn't even charged with anything.

Points out the window without him in the team, not that he is overly important to our general play, but we don't have players who can actually finish goals apart from him and Tuna, and that's where he is important because when we don't finish goals we lose.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

None of us know the details, so comments about whether it's fair or not are difficult to make. 

I do think though that he doesn't have to be charged to have been in breech of the FFA code of conduct.

Ultimately a top club in any code sets standards and requires players to conform, so as best I can figure out from the limited information available, they seem to have done the right thing. Would happily sacrifice a loss now for trophies in the future.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tesla said:

LOL stupid club more interested in PR than anything else, bloke wasn't even charged with anything.

Points out the window without him in the team, not that he is overly important to our general play, but we don't have players who can actually finish goals apart from him and Tuna, and that's where he is important because when we don't finish goals we lose.

Good one mate.

If he did do something untoward?

I think the club is taking the higher ground, which is comendable, compare that to an ALF or NRL club.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it might be prudent for City to give members some sort of update. Speculation over Harry's future is growing the longer this goes on.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/harry-novillo-frozen-out-as-jacob-melling-steve-kuzmanovski-return-for-melbourne-city-20160218-gmxmu4.html

"Teenager Steve Kuzmanovski and utility Jacob Melling will come back into Melbourne City's squad for the match against Central Coast Mariners on Sunday, as the club consigns disgraced import Harry Novillo to the outer.

The Frenchman has been frozen out all week following the disclosure that he was led away from his city-centre apartment in handcuffs after a domestic incident involving his partner in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Novillo has not trained with the club, nor has he been named in the match-day squad.

City continue to conduct their own internal inquiry into the incident and will not say anything until satisfied they have all the facts.

Police have so far not charged the forward with any offence.

The club is, not surprisingly, deeply concerned about the negative publicity surrounding Novillo.

On Wednesday City were due to make new signing Osama Malik available for a media conference, but cancelled the event, concerned that too many questions might have been directed at him about his teammate.

Novillo has been a significant contributor on the pitch this season, weighing in with important goals and assisting Bruno Fornaroli in the race for the golden boot.

But there have to be serious questions over the damage he has done to the club's image.

Certainly parent company Manchester City and its Australian affiliate would be conscious of the impact reports of domestic violence would have on the public, given that governments both state and federal have made it a key policy issue in recent years and Rosie Batty – the Victorian mother whose son was murdered by his estranged father – was made Australian of the year in 2015 for being a high-profile campaigner on the subject. 

City will not, however, be rushed into a decision on Novillo's future. The club wants to see what, if any, action police will take.

And City are determined to act within the regulatory framework of Football Federation Australia and employment laws before coming to any conclusions."

Some completely uncalled-for associations being made there between Novillo's incident and the Batty case, but that's what happens when the media is given the opportunity for speculation.

to be fair, the comment on Rosie Batty was in reference to how seriously governments are taking family violence. It would seem, on the information we know, the references to fv are relevant.

Edited by Jake

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

If he did then he'd have been charged 

Just speculating but while he didn't assault anyone his unprofessionalism is what's probably cost him.  For all we know the club may have already warned him in the past about his behaviour. I know I read that he has got in trouble in the past (near the Belgian Beer Garden) so this could have been another strike to his name. No doubt the club feels his actions are not what they want to associate with the club and that's fair enough. They want a professional club and with that comes responsibilities from all involved in the club. Theres no doubt that this also sets a standard with any players currently involved in the club and future potential players coming to the club. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Well, in a video earlier this season for the club's youtube channel, he said he had been late to training over 20 times or something last season. So he obviously has shown unprofessional conduct on multiple occasions.

The guy thinks it's a joke. Is he that stupid to see that his antics won't be tolerated?

1 hour ago, moops said:

Good one mate.

If he did do something untoward?

I think the club is taking the higher ground, which is comendable, compare that to an ALF or NRL club.

Had that been in AFL the club would've said "Watch yaself next time Hazza. Just go to Royal Childrens Hospital and visit some kids and you'll be right".

Edited by Tony999
  • Like 2

"failed to uphold professional standards off the field, failed to behave in a manner that promotes the highest standards of integrity and the player failed to properly explain his absence from a club training session".

I didn't actually read the article but now that I've read it it makes sense to me. Good move by the club. 

Edited by n i k o

From the club's website

Friday, 19 February 2016 -

Melbourne City FC has competed a comprehensive investigation into an incident involving first team player Harry Novillo that took place in the early morning of Tuesday 16 February 2016.

Whilst the incident has not resulted in criminal charges, the Club’s investigations have confirmed that there has been a significant breach of the requirements set out in the FFA National Code of Conduct.

Specifically that the player failed to uphold professional standards off the field, failed to behave in a manner that promotes the highest standards of integrity and the player failed to properly explain his absence from a Club training session.

The Club has therefore applied the maximum sanction available to it under the FFA National Code of Conduct. Harry will receive a two match suspension and be fined 50% of one week’s wages.  

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-statement/co3pdrciacgk1dc4w0da5dwzv#JiajgY7d1JDVH8B4.99

10 hours ago, Tony999 said:

The guy thinks it's a joke. Is he that stupid to see that his antics won't be tolerated?

I'm not sure that he thinks that its a joke - more likely is that he is impulsive. He probably already knows that his behaviour is intolerable due to his experiences in France. Like many people thinking that if you change the environment that you live in things will look up but ultimately it is them that have to change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I'm not sure that he thinks that its a joke - more likely is that he is impulsive. He probably already knows that his behaviour is intolerable due to his experiences in France. Like many people thinking that if you change the environment that you live in things will look up but ultimately it is them that have to change.

Real question is will he change?

Is he capable? 

Very similar to Stevie J and Fevola scenarios.

Hope he can sort himself out because as a footballer he is quite special. 

7 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Just happy that we haven't turfed him. Hopefully a wake up call for him.

The Code requires sanctions on three separate occasions before a player can be terminated. I don't recall any similar sanction (against any player in the league) being publicised over the past 5+ seasons, and if that recollection is correct then this is a pretty serious warning to Harry. His future is in his own hands now.

16 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Well, in a video earlier this season for the club's youtube channel, he said he had been late to training over 20 times or something last season. So he obviously has shown unprofessional conduct on multiple occasions.

If this is true I'm starting to see why he is playing in the Aleague. Might have the skill but if your going to do this stuff who would want you?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The Code requires sanctions on three separate occasions before a player can be terminated. I don't recall any similar sanction (against any player in the league) being publicised over the past 5+ seasons, and if that recollection is correct then this is a pretty serious warning to Harry. His future is in his own hands now.

Didn't Langerack have some sort of disciplinary troubles at CCM, concerning a night club or few?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Was any formal action taken after those Perth lads (Keogh was one) were detained/arrested in Adelaide last year out the front of a night club?

City moving on from ugly Novillo row

Ben McKay

February 20, 2016

Melbourne City have closed the book on the off-field issues troubling Harry Novillo, backing the striker to return to the side after a fortnight's break.

Coach John van 't Schip said the A-League club was now moving on after handing him the maximum allowed under the FFA code of conduct.

Novillo won't be seen on Sunday against Central Coast or be considered for next week's trip to play Wellington and has been docked half a week's wages for his role in a domestic dispute.

Police responded to a call from his distressed partner early on Tuesday morning, leading the Frenchman from his own apartment in handcuffs.

After completing their internal investigation, the club has refused to elaborate on his misdeeds, only to say that his breaches of the code were serious and significant.

Van 't Schip said a short press statement issued by the club was enough and "all the other things that could be said (are) not on".

The Dutch coach acknowledged difficult conversations with his nine-goal striker, but wasn't about to clear up the murky affair for the club's fans.

"We've seen that Harry is a big impact in the team," he said.

"There are things that are above that.

"We sanctioned him, we went through a process and he's just not going to be available. We move on."

As coach, van 't Schip said his focus would be preparing the way for Novillo's return on March 5 when City host Sydney FC.

"Now it's important he gets the time to integrate back into the team physically and mentally," he said.

"It's enough about Harry and (we're) focussing on the game.

"We have to go out there and make a good performance because we all know that we dropped points the last games."

City are out for their first win in four matches against the Mariners at AAMI Park on Sunday afternoon.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/30873994/city-moving-on-from-ugly-novillo-row/