Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that there's anything subconscious about it

Irrespective of the Novillo case I don't think City will get any favours out of FFA for quite some time yet. We're the leaders of the group of owners pushing for change and reform, and we all know how entrenched administrators behave when under pressure. 

• Like 1

The Berisha decision was made only a few hours after the Novillo sentence was handed out. 

Of course they would say each incident and appeal is considered on its own merit with no precedent taken into account.... but seriously???

They've pretty much pissed on our faces and then gone and rubbed shit in after for good measure. 

Farcical.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bt50 said:

I agree.

But my outrage is that Berisha has gotten off. That he was getting treatment should mean absolutely squat. In fact theres an argument that ye kicked out in cold blood, at least harrys was in the heat of a fight.

On balance two weeks is adequate for both, but Berisha getting a discount is beyond a joke.

Yep.

I don't have a problem with Harry getting suspended for what he did, it was stupid and the punishment fits the crime IMO.

Berisha getting off is an absolute joke though.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, raw10 said:

It's apparently mystifying to Davutovic that a player that would have been earning one of the top five salaries in the A-League and had produced next to nothing (to the extent that he couldn't even do enough to justify a starting position) was dumped, while a player that would have been on less than a third of the salary of the aforementioned marquee, that consistently produces, but is a bit of a head case was retained.

I'm in favour of keeping any player that is a clear weapon in this league and wants to stay here, unless he gives us no other choice. I've seen enough good natured spuds that seemed to hang around with us forever to appreciate a player that has obvious quality. I was happy to cop whatever the FFA handed down for that incident, but I don't think it's grounds for any further action from City, let alone Novillo's dismissal...not even close. 

• Like 2

Hope we are appealing this. Haven't heard anything yet to say that we are though. I actually think Berisha being let off helps us in our case to try and get Harry off. Similar kind of intentions but Berisha was receiving treatment at the time but the intent was there just like Harry's was. 

3 minutes ago, Fredinho69 said:

Hope we are appealing this. Haven't heard anything yet to say that we are though. I actually think Berisha being let off helps us in our case to try and get Harry off. Similar kind of intentions but Berisha was receiving treatment at the time but the intent was there just like Harry's was. 

It's all over the interweb. Just put "Novillo appeal" into Google.

The more I see of FFA the more I want City and CFG to stand by Harry and help the bugger get his life straightened out.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

• 12 minutes ago
  • by DAVID DAVUTOVIC
  • Source: Herald Sun

MELBOURNE City will appeal Harry Novillo’s suspension after he was banned for two games for kicking out.

The appeal is for the second game of his ban and could centre on the fact that he was suspended for “assault” when Novillo appeared not to make contact with any Adelaide United players.

The appeal was lodged before today’s (Wednesday) noon deadline. It’s unclear whether the Match Review Panel’s one-game reduction of Besart Berisha’s ban influenced City’s decision.

The MRP handed Novillo the suspension after he lashed out during a halftime melee in the 2-0 loss to Adelaide United last Friday.

Novillo’s loss for Sunday’s elimination final against Perth Glory is a body blow, with the attacker forming part of City’s dynamic attacking trio with Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli, with the chemistry between him and the Uruguayan golden boot winner evident.

Replays indicate that Novillo swung his boot in the direction of Adelaide defender Dylan McGowan and midfielder Marcelo Carrusca, moments after he was pushed away by Carrusca as tensions flared.

Novillo did not appear to make contact with either player, in an incident similar to the one which saw Berisha originally banned for two games for lashing out at Wellington’s Andrew Durante, reduced to one on appeal.

“The MRP determined that (Novillo) committed the offence of Assault on a Player (e.g. violent conduct when not challenging for the ball). The MRP has proposed a sanction of two matches comprising the Mandatory Match Suspension plus one additional match, being the minimum sanction for the offence,’’ the statement said.

Asked about Novillo’s yellow card on Friday night, City coach John van’t Schip said that he felt the incident had been dealt with.

“I heard, because I asked, that it had to do with the end of the first half,” van’t Schip said.

“That they (Adelaide) started something that ended up in a lot of players coming together and that’s why (both Novillo and Mauk) got a yellow card.”

The French-born Martinique international has scored 10 goals and created another five after overcoming a bad hamstring tear in pre-season.

Novillo, who joined midway through last season, limped off in the semi-final loss to Melbourne Victory with a hamstring tear.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Simple really.

Just fuk off JVS and get a manager in who knows how to harness the best out of troubled talents like Harry.

Then watch him fly next season... along with the rest of the team. 

I was just going to say, Harry has that aggression in him that I like because we need someone like him to be able to lift the team on the field and knowing this, a good manager will be able to control him and ensure that he channel that aggression in a proper way. JvS can just bugger off as unfortunately he is not the kind of manager that can do this. I hope CFG has made up their mind on the back of our performance this season and get rid of JvS at season's end.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I cannot believe Berisha got his sentence reduced. According to the committee he was trying to 'push Durante away with his leg.' What a load of shit.

Harry's got a fair chance of winning the appeal if the committee is that creative.

I wonder how JA feels about now?

A little unlucky?

But the problem is the club have accepted 1 match ban and appealing the 2nd. So whatever happens he is out for Sunday.  Aaagh.

On 12/04/2016 at 2:34 PM, SF33 said:

"...egotistical, attention seeking glory hunter." Mate, you're bragging about being vindicated on an internet forum. Is the irony lost on you?

Furthermore, let's look at your predictions in detail. 'Cancerous to the team'? Debatable. JVS lacking the man management to control him? He's had one previous indiscretion and he was punished, some would say quite severely. Best case scenario being JVS dropping him to the bench and Novillo cracking it? Novillo appeared to cop his suspension with the suitable contrition and while his conduct on Friday was poor (to say the least), I could see any number of hot headed stars of the A-League doing something similar. Teammates will probably already hate him because he doesn't fit the Australian style? I think that's extremely debatable and that there's actually much more evidence that his teammates love him. And while Kisnorbo and co. would probably be as disappointed in his actions as the rest of us, a 'flying the flag' indiscretion like that is hardly likely to cause any enmity between him and the rest of the team.

The biggie: '...this will not end well'? Remains to be seen, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not talking about this incident specifically.

Honestly Novillo has grown a lot on me but he really has been going backward towards the backend of the season, whether it's on the field or off the field.

He has been playing poorly for a while now, and the only reason it hasn't been apparent is he somehow kept popping up for goals even though he wasn't playing well, since the goals dried up it has been more obvious that his performances aren't up to scratch. Half the time he looks like he doesn't give a fuck, the other half of the time he is taking shots from 10 degree angles outside of the box rather than crossing.

When the 'domestic incident' occurred I probably defended him the most out of anyone, but when you start adding up that, him missing training, and now getting himself needlessly suspended when we are about to embark on a finals campaign, you have to say there is a behavioural problem as well.

Let's not forget he is most likely the 2nd highest paid player in the team and on a salary that would be a marquee salary at half the clubs in this league. Someone like that needs to deliver for the club both on and off the field.

"...egotistical, attention seeking glory hunter." - always wanting to shoot even from the most unlikely position, even when teammates are in better positions. Getting himself suspended for our finals campaign. Not thinking how his off field behaviour reflects on the club.

'Cancerous to the team' - pretty much the exact same things, costing us goals by being selfish, getting suspended as a key player for our finals withotu a clear direct replacement, brigning negative media attention to the team, etc.

'...this will not end well' - well it hasn't has it? We are without a player who is probably our 2nd highest paid player at the moment for the finals, he has brought negative media attention to the club on a number of occasions now, and if rumours are true that he is gone next season we've invested a fair bit into this guy and probably planned on having him around for a few years and now he is gone without having delivered what was expected of him. Getting rid of him might end up costing money as well if no other club is going to match the salary he is on here.

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

He has been playing poorly for a while now, and the only reason it hasn't been apparent is he somehow kept popping up for goals even though he wasn't playing well, since the goals dried up it has been more obvious that his performances aren't up to scratch. Half the time he looks like he doesn't give a fuck, the other half of the time he is taking shots from 10 degree angles outside of the box rather than crossing.

Let's not forget he is most likely the 2nd highest paid player in the team and on a salary that would be a marquee salary at half the clubs in this league. Someone like that needs to deliver for the club both on and off the field.

'...this will not end well' - well it hasn't has it? We are without a player who is probably our 2nd highest paid player at the moment for the finals, he has brought negative media attention to the club on a number of occasions now, and if rumours are true that he is gone next season we've invested a fair bit into this guy and probably planned on having him around for a few years and now he is gone without having delivered what was expected of him. Getting rid of him might end up costing money as well if no other club is going to match the salary he is on here.

I thought he was ok on Friday (nowhere near our worst) and didn't know what all the fuss was about until I saw the footage of the halftime incident. I don't think that accusing him of looking "like he doesn't give a fuck" is fair either. He's a bit up and down, but I haven't seen much evidence of him sleepwalking through games. Nor do I think it's necessarily a criticism: Mooy doesn't really strike me as the most intense player going around; he just does his job. Whatever works.

What is his salary, out of interest? I wouldn't have a clue, I just assumed that if Koren was on something approaching seven figures, there's no way Novillo would be on more than 300k. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mooy, Fornaroli, Hughes and Sorensen earned more than him.

Lastly, we can't say with certainty whether it will end well or not yet, because it hasn't ended.

36 minutes ago, playmaker said:

@SF33@SF33 Were u at the game?

I am with @Tesla@Tesla, his off the ball antics is atrocious to say the least.

Yes. His last couple of matches at AAMI have been terrible. Losing the ball, diving, and sulking. He's gone downhill very quickly since the off-field incident. I don't resile from the hope that the club will support him and get his head right, because then he could be a great player. But let's not delude ourselves that he's been anything other than woeful these past weeks.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

@SF33@SF33 Were u at the game?

I am with @Tesla@Tesla, his off the ball antics is atrocious to say the least.

Yes, I was. I thought he looked to be by far our most likely to create a goal. I could definitely do without his diving and feigning injury, but that's nothing new for him.

Bloke makes the top 10 goalscorers this season, assists a handful of times yet you all jump ship when he kicks out at a degenerate cunt? 

But its OK if Mooy scores 1 and assists 3 every game but snoozes come the last few crucial matches but oh no Mooy pls stay? 

Novillo > Mooy

Don't argue 

• Like 2