Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

One thing we need to remember with Harry is his age. 

Now we are used to foreigners either being at or past (mostly past!) their peak, so don't even think about them poteyially improving but with Harry we need to think differently.

I don't see why he can't continue to improve over the next 2 or 3 seasons. It's a bit early to talk about him as a marquee, but it's certainly possible. 

I can't see him going into the last year of his current contact, he'll either sign a new (better) one or be sold. How much better will depend on how well he plays for the rest of the season.

In regards to him leaving, I think blokes like him (& tuna) who've had bad experiences will put a lot of store in being at a club where they are valued, playing regularly and playing well. Based on that I think we are a very good chance to have him at the club for some time.

One thing we need to remember with Harry is his age. 

Now we are used to foreigners either being at or past (mostly past!) their peak, so don't even think about them poteyially improving but with Harry we need to think differently.

I don't see why he can't continue to improve over the next 2 or 3 seasons. It's a bit early to talk about him as a marquee, but it's certainly possible. 

I can't see him going into the last year of his current contact, he'll either sign a new (better) one or be sold. How much better will depend on how well he plays for the rest of the season.

In regards to him leaving, I think blokes like him (& tuna) who've had bad experiences will put a lot of store in being at a club where they are valued, playing regularly and playing well. Based on that I think we are a very good chance to have him at the club for some time.

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

Mate I explained it in my last post, why Fornaroli has made both Novillo and even Mooy better, because they were missing a quality player in front of them to link up with, which not only affected their output but it also made them look selfish (if you had to pick out something to criticise Mooy for last season, it's that he was a bit selfish). And actually I did say that about Novillo before this season, that his problem is he is selfish and arrogant .

I would also like to point you to the fact that, when we signed Fornaroli, I specifically mentioned that he could lead to Novillo (and Gameiro buit he hasnt played) scoring a bunch of goals:

And providing the link we need between midfield and attack, as well as being the right type of forward for a goalscoring winger like Novillo (and Gameiro, again who hasnt played)

As for Williams, his problem had nothing to do with not having someone like Fornaroli to play with. Williams' problem is that he is shit.

And that's all well and good. To be honest, it just gets irritating when in about ten words people dismiss a player as useless, or hail a player as a god for that matter, after about a game or two of evidence. I just wish more people would take the Murf approach and not worry about trying to be so definitive before a player has even unpacked his bags, to be honest.

5 hours ago, MHFCRC said:

I love this bloke

image.png

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

@TaraRushton hi Tara. I see everywhere I have only 4 assists but in real I'm on 5 assist 6 goal it will be good if everything could be clear

Retweet

Just getting it all sorted is Big H

Okay definitely won me over now, this is the best thing I've seen in ages :clap::clap::clap: 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SF33 said:

And that's all well and good. To be honest, it just gets irritating when in about ten words people dismiss a player as useless, or hail a player as a god for that matter, after about a game or two of evidence. I just wish more people would take the Murf approach and not worry about trying to be so definitive before a player has even unpacked his bags, to be honest.

But if you don't post something after 5 seconds you can't crap on later about "I said it first" ( which normally means you made your mind up with no data and arsely got it right).

The pro scouts normally like to see a player play many games before they express a view. Scouting and assessing players is HARD. Even the experts get it wrong (often, look no further than our marquee Mr Koren).

Expressing an opinion after 15 minutes of watching a teenager you are just flogging yourself (& doing a young person a gross injustice). As to saying you picked a player as good based on a questionable playing record at some decent clubs, having never seen them play, well you are just trolling aren't you.

I have played >300 games, coached over 150, & watched God knows  how many. I try to get a decent amount of data before I offer an opinion, but I still get it wrong A LOT.

Now I'm not against people saying what think (otherwise the forum would be pretty bloody dull) but you can't take your opinions too seriously.

Rant Over.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

But if you don't post something after 5 seconds you can't crap on later about "I said it first" ( which normally means you made your mind up with no data and arsely got it right).

The pro scouts normally like to see a player play many games before they express a view. Scouting and assessing players is HARD. Even the experts get it wrong (often, look no further than our marquee Mr Koren).

Expressing an opinion after 15 minutes of watching a teenager you are just flogging yourself (& doing a young person a gross injustice). As to saying you picked a player as good based on a questionable playing record at some decent clubs, having never seen them play, well you are just trolling aren't you.

I have played >300 games, coached over 150, & watched God knows  how many. I try to get a decent amount of data before I offer an opinion, but I still get it wrong A LOT.

Now I'm not against people saying what think (otherwise the forum would be pretty bloody dull) but you can't take your opinions too seriously.

Rant Over.

I guess Novillo is a special case for me, because most people on this forum have forgotten more about football than I ever know, but it still seemed pretty clear to me after a few games that Novillo had something about him, the way he could create a shot out of nothing, with little to no assistance from a teammate and also the cannon of a shot that he had on him that, when it isn't on target, it isn't generally missing by much. Even his misses are pretty impressive, as opposed to what we've been used to: one of our forwards jamming out a 'shot' that lobs harmlessly into the keeper's hands 5m away from the goal, dribbles into the area at about 2km/h, or is blasted about 5m wide of the goal or over the crossbar.

The thing about Novillo for me is that, yeah, maybe he'll miss a few, but even the misses leave you thinking that he'll create more opportunities like that (case in point: last night when he blasted an easier chance in the second half into the side net not long before his winner) and that if he creates more shots, he's going to get one on target and that the goalkeeper won't have a snowball's chance in hell of saving it. Put simply, he's got class.

Melbourne City’s Harry Novillo says he’s still not 100 per cent fit despite brilliant performance in win over Western Sydney

January 10, 2016

Matt Windley

MELBOURNE City forward Harry Novillo can only get better, with the French flyer insisting he is still not 100 per cent fit.

Riding high after Saturday night’s epic 3-2 win over then-ladder leader Western Sydney, Novillo said there is no reason why City can’t match it with the A-League’s best in the battle for this year’s title.

And on an individual basis, the same can be said about the 23-year-old who continues to dazzle with his pace, fancy footwork and powerful right boot.

Since recovering from a serious hamstring injury that kept him out for more than two months, Novillo has raced up the scoring charts with six goals in 10 games.

He also has four assists to his name.

But Novillo said he still doesn’t feel fully match fit after spending so much time sidelined during pre-season, saying he had to dig deep to come up with his 85th minute winner against the Wanderers.

“I’m starting to be pretty close,” Novillo said.

“But I’m not 100 per cent because I think you saw I have some cramp in the 80th minute or so, 85 minutes I start to be a little bit tired.

“I need to be able to finish the game easy without cramp and stuff like that, but I’m working hard every day to hit this level and I hope it’s going to come soon.”

After coach John van’t Schip reverted to a 3-5-2 formation midway through the draw against Sydney FC last week, Novillo has been deployed as a second striker alongside Bruno Fornaroli as opposed to the wing.

Novillo has won praise for the damage he has done since making the move and the Martinique international said the switch has suited him just fine.

“I like it because I’m closer to Bruno, a very good player, the best scorer in the A-League at the moment,” he said.

“It’s really good because we can have a good relationship and then we have Aaron (Mooy) just behind us, which is important for us because he gives us really great ball with his quality.

“We have everyone around us who work hard for us. I like this position, I’m more closer to the goal and I can maybe score more or be more dangerous.”

City now has five wins, two draws and a loss from its past eight games, a run that has seen it ensconce itself firmly among the competition pacesetters.

City appeared hellbent on making amends for November’s 3-0 loss to the Wanderers on Saturday night, but Novillo said revenge wasn’t on the cards at AAMI Park.

Making a statement against a league heavyweight was, however.

“It was a big example for us to prove to the top (teams) we are still alive and we are going to put pressure on them.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-harry-novillo-says-hes-still-not-100-per-cent-fit-despite-brilliant-performance-in-win-over-western-sydney/news-story/d8a3094e7f38e88084f3bf6693ccf9ee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When Harry is on fire it is a joy to watch. Two great finishes from him. Even though the second was a great strike, I preferred the first because of how he anticipated the cross and finished it. It really showed his versatility. Since going to a back three and having him alongside Bruno, both of them have been on fire. 

As his confidence grows he gets better.  Our team has never had a character just like him. Hope he stays for a few years and continues to contribute the same.

I also think he's less selfish than he was in the early days and a little more disciplined.  No doubt the club have been working with him on this. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pandev said:

As his confidence grows he gets better.  Our team has never had a character just like him. Hope he stays for a few years and continues to contribute the same.

I also think he's less selfish than he was in the early days and a little more disciplined.  No doubt the club have been working with him on this. 

I think he is another guy who had had a tough time professionally. When he came here he was so desperate to impress he was totally selfish. Once he had been here a while, had a contract, he could relax and play.

"Another career saved by JVS"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

I think he is another guy who had had a tough time professionally. When he came here he was so desperate to impress he was totally selfish. Once he had been here a while, had a contract, he could relax and play.

"Another career saved by JVS"

More like another one who has saved JVS's career lol

• Like 6

On 14 March 2015 at 10:11 PM, hakz7 said:

Has done more than any of our wingers have in our history. Positive with the ball, attacks the goal, confident, beats the defenders. Yes he missed three shots early but he got into those positions due to his own desire and skill.

Thankfully got the goal to cap off a (IMO) Man of the Match performance and has been more valuable than Koren and dare I say; more effective than Villa.

Sign him permanently.

On 14 March 2015 at 10:26 PM, drewmelbcity said:

Lol relax he played well, has passion, but only his third game. Keep in mind koren 3 goals, villa 2 goals.

Do you still think I should relax when speaking about him?

Well now you know.... 

Just now, drewmelbcity said:

Obviously not now the guys a gem but you know as well as I do how people get ahead of themselves on players after a handful of games, RE. Koren.

Haha good point. Was just looking back at what people said about him when first signed and came across your comment.

On 5/8/2015 at 7:53 PM, Shahanga said:

I've been thinking about Harry. Like many I have been quite critical of him, despite his superb touch and his hammer of a right foot.

I think one of his issues might be lack of regular games. Get him with a good coach, know he's a first choice player, regular game time and he might stop trying to be a superhero every time he touches the ball.

Worth persevering with I reckon.

Looks like I get a green line for that.

On 5/19/2015 at 4:01 PM, Shahanga said:

Herald Sun saying we made him an offer but he's after more cash.

"Tell him he's dreaming"

Get a red line for this one though.  

Whilst i thought signing Harry was OK, I also thought it was important not to pay "over the odds".  Now i don't know what we paid, but its hard to imagine how it could have been too much. In short he's improved well beyond last season and well beyond the level I thought he might reach.

I was fishing with my earlier comment re-JVS. but i do think the coaching staff deserve some credit, let's face it, the guy is hardly conventional, but they've put up with his weird shit (like dancing naked before games- WTF?) and little things like letting him wear non issue shorts for the warm up so all the girls (and strider) can look at his arse (i don't believe he owns a donkey). 

• Like 2

On 25 January 2016 at 8:34 AM, Pandev said:

10 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Post match Zullo was asked about Novillo, and one of the things he said was "his work ethic is starting to pick up as well which is helping him take his game to the next level". Interesting comment I thought.

Yeah I picked up on that.

Might have been paranoid about his injury?