Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but his performance on Saturday night was outstanding. POTENTIALLY a future JW medal winner if surrounded by the right talent. 

Here's to hoping that the Australian culture can keep him around for a while.  :up:

someone line him up with a model per week!

So overrated.

I'll only be satisfied with Novillo if he wins the golden boot, then his selfish game play is justified. Anything less then that and I'm far from convinced he is adding enough to the team to justify his wage  given the amount of attacking opportunities he fucks up.

It's worth noting he is probably the 3rd highest paid player at the club, and since the general consensus is that Koren is a dud, he should be the 2nd best player in the squad (after Mooy) to justify his salary. 

Edited by Tesla

So overrated.

I'll only be satisfied with Novillo if he wins the golden boot, then his selfish game play is justified. Anything less then that and I'm far from convinced he is adding enough to the team to justify his wage  given the amount of attacking opportunities he fucks up.

It's worth noting he is probably the 3rd highest paid player at the club, and since the general consensus is that Koren is a dud, he should be the 2nd best player in the squad (after Mooy) to justify his salary. 

... and he is, comfortably. 

Maybe if he stops wasting  every attacking opportunity.

wasting is harsh, I think there's a big difference between fucking up whilst trying to create something out of nothing and fucking up a clear cut opportunity in Williams-esque fashion.

He definitely has to improve his team game and pass when the obvious pass is there but we've also got to allow him to be a little bit selfish as opportunities are going to be created as a result of it.

• Like 3

wasting is harsh, I think there's a big difference between fucking up whilst trying to create something out of nothing and fucking up a clear cut opportunity in Williams-esque fashion.
He definitely has to improve his team game and pass when the obvious pass is there but we've also got to allow him to be a little bit selfish as opportunities are going to be created as a result of it.

'fucking up while trying to create something out of nothing' = Mooy

Trying to take on 5 players at once and/or shooting from 40 meters out when there are options to pass too = Novillo

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but the way people go on about him is way over the top. If he wasn't so selfish then they'd probably be justified, or if he remains selfish but ends up with the goals to his name to show for it then again his fans would be justified. Nothing wrong with a selfish player if they can score a lot of goals. But as of yet, he hasn't shown anything to justify the praise he is getting.

Who do you believe to be a better player in our squad, other than Mooy? Because I've got nothin'.

You do have a point here, I can't really name anyone but I also can't say Novillo is better than everyone else. It's more a case of Mooy is so far ahead of everyone else it's hard to pick a 2nd best, especially in the off season. We will see after a few rounds.

'fucking up while trying to create something out of nothing' = Mooy

Trying to take on 5 players at once and/or shooting from 40 meters out when there are options to pass too = Novillo

I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but the way people go on about him is way over the top. If he wasn't so selfish then they'd probably be justified, or if he remains selfish but ends up with the goals to his name to show for it then again his fans would be justified. Nothing wrong with a selfish player if they can score a lot of goals. But as of yet, he hasn't shown anything to justify the praise he is getting.

You do have a point here, I can't really name anyone but I also can't say Novillo is better than everyone else. It's more a case of Mooy is so far ahead of everyone else it's hard to pick a 2nd best, especially in the off season. We will see after a few rounds.

We shall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Which one do you mean? Novillo to get shots off on his right foot or teams to stop him doing that.

if a Diddy team work him out then I'm sure the a league will too , has a go I give u that which is more than most but based on our lack of actual strikers I don't see him as our saviour 

if a Diddy team work him out then I'm sure the a league will too , has a go I give u that which is more than most but based on our lack of actual strikers I don't see him as our saviour 

That becomes a problem if he's our only dangerous forward. If we have 3 scoring options then it only creates peace for other players. Of course our present problem is that we only have 1 scoring forward and he's a midfielder anyway

• Like 1

Which one do you mean? Novillo to get shots off on his right foot or teams to stop him doing that.

Stopping him on his right.  Everyone who follows football in Australia now knows you can't let him unload with that right hammer and they'll be desperate to stop him.

Again, this is a coaching issue. He's got to be told to vary his play, or otherwise he just becomes a predictable one-trick pony. JvS is paid to sort these things out and that's what he should be doing.

Not just him though, his team mates will need to give him good options too.

His instagram confirms everything, he is an egotistical attention seeking glory hunter. Hence why every time the ball comes his way he feels the need to have a shot regardless of how unlikely he is too score or whether teammates are in better positions.

It's all symptomatic of being a talented player at a young age but not going on to fulfil his potential. 11 years at the biggest club in his country at the time, and probably one of the better young players there, playing for the French youth teams, his mind filled with ideas that he would be some Ronaldo-level superstar. But he never made it in the end.

Why do you think he came to play in the A-league when there are better leagues he can play in? because he craves that same dominant position he had as a young player, he wants to be a star here rather than just another player in some euro league, the 'big fish in a small pond'. But he won't be.

He will be cancerous to the team, and this will not end well. JVS doesn't have the man management ability to reign him in. Best that will happen is 25 games into the season JVS will grow enough balls to drop him to the bench, and then Novillio will throw a fit. But well before then his teammates will probably already hate him because he just doesn't fit into the Australian culture of teamwork.

Only potential solution is to play him in a more attacking role where his selfishness may become an asset.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Jesus

Will be back to collect my green line at the end of the season.

My psychoanalysis is definitely on point, only way I could be wrong is if he performs well enough that this cult of personality that seems to surround him grows further, fufilling his desperate need for glory and attention, which pushes him too play even better, meanwhile his team mates will be forced to like him if he is really killing it and banging in goals, regardless of how selfish his play is. That's basically the best we can hiope for, but I doubt it will come to fruition.

The other upside is there is no way he is listening to whatever shitty tactics JVS comes up with, which I think was behind some of the 'success' (if you can call wasting 3294237423 opportunities just to score a couple nice goals a success) he had last season. So he might help us look half decent on occasion until JVS is sacked. 

Edited by Tesla

Will be back to collect my green line at the end of the season.

My psychoanalysis is definitely on point, only way I could be wrong is if he performs well enough that this cult of personality that seems to surround him grows further, fufilling his desperate need for glory and attention, which pushes him too play even better, meanwhile his team mates will be forced to like him if he is really killing it and banging in goals, regardless of how selfish his play is. That's basically the best we can hiope for, but I doubt it will come to fruition.

The other upside is there is no way he is listening to whatever shitty tactics JVS comes up with, which I think was behind some of the 'success' (if you can call wasting 3294237423 opportunities just to score a couple nice goals a success) he had last season. So he might help us look half decent on occasion until JVS is sacked. 

So are you now heading the Psychology Department at UOM as well being the VRC Chairman whilst standing for Kooyong at the next election? 

• Like 2