Melbourne Football

Round 20: Central Coast v. City, Gosford, Sun 8th March, KO 3.00 p.m.

jw1739

How long is Hoff signed for?

Given that he is becoming a back-up option, he may be versitile in where he can play but hes a master of none.

Its unfortunately not looking too good for him when the contract expires I would say, however he has been a very lucky guy to get as far as he has up to this time :)

Edited by Heart_fan

Velaphi

Jaliens Kisnorbo Chapman Baharudin

Paartalu Germano* Mooy

Williams* Kennedy Koren

*Novillo can replace Willo when he's cooked, Murdocca can come on for Germano when one of the giant sauce bottles breaks loose of its housings and crushes him

Edited by Imperial Pints

Would like to see this lineup in the coming weeks:               

Velaphi 

Jaliens Chapman Kisnorbo Baharudin 

Paartalu

Mooy         Koren 

Williams      Jesus        Novillo 

Redmayne, Germano, Murdocca, Clisby, Ramsay 

Edited by dconder13
  • Like 1

JVS indicated in Friday's presser that Mate and James Brown were a chance to play this week also. Marino and Germano also back to fitness. Selection getting tricky again,

Going to be hard for players to break into the team with the youth league being finished too

Good. They are meant to be competing for places not having them handed over just because everyone else is injured.

• Like 2

Massive next 3 games for us, this will tell the story for players coming out of contract and the coaching staff to see if they can get the team performing and winning on a consistent bases especially since we had a great win against Adelaide last week.

Listening to 1116 SEN comments have been made that Melbourne City need to get 9pts from our next 3 games against "so called weaker opposition" although 7pts would be the minimum.. I agree with those comments, its time to stop fucking around and start to separate the contenders from the pretenders and to see which players really want to be apart of the Melbourne City Football Club.

JVS indicated in Friday's presser that Mate and James Brown were a chance to play this week also. Marino and Germano also back to fitness. Selection getting tricky again,

Going to be hard for players to break into the team with the youth league being finished too

Good. They are meant to be competing for places not having them handed over just because everyone else is injured.

That's bad if we can't have fringe players or players coming back from injury playing in the youth league, then it's just based on who jvs thinks is training well

Williams has to start this week...

just hoping that we dont sink into our normal blue tongue performances where we go down literally without a whimper

I'm not so sure Williams has to start. There is a strong argument to bring him on against tiring defenders. Watching Guus Hiddink manage taught me the value of placing a player "who is good enough to start" on the bench as a weapon.
  • Like 2

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robert KOREN, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Josh KENNEDY, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 27.Kew JALIENS, 29.Safuwan BAHARUDIN

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 9.Harry NOVILLO (new signing), 13.Jonatan GERMANO (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 4-5 weeks), 11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 9-10 weeks), 25.Jacob MELLING (knee – 2-3 weeks)

Edited by Thrillhouse

Velaphi

Jaliens   Chapman   Kisnorbo  Safuwan

Paartalu

Murdocca     Mooy

Williams           Kennedy       Koren

SUBS Redmayne, Clisby, Novillo, Germano, Ramsay

omit Retre, Hoffman (as much as it pains me to say)

Duga and Brown are off the injury list, meaning they were available for selection. Put on ice for a week it seems.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if we base ourselves in sydney for the three games rather than flying back and forth

Agreed, but I think that the (hardly challenging) Sydney-Melbourne flights, plus the much better facilities that we'll presumably have at our disposal in Melbourne to aid recovery, plus the sleeping in your own bed factor means that they wouldn't stay up the whole time. Perhaps after the mid-week game.

It's amazing that we just can't seem to beat them.

The match at AAMI Park this season against them just summed up too well how we just seem to fall apart against them.

Looking at their list each year, they should be easy beats but for some reason they can grind out results. Even this year they have been terrible for most of it yet they aren't that far behind.

Going to predict another fall from grave for us this week. We struggle to gain momentum at the best of times, but against CCM our past results seem to sum up our chances in this one.. Not that high .

Probably only that surprising this year, to be honest. In all of the 'Heart' years, Central Coast was a better team than us, by some margin.

How long is Hoff signed for?

Given that he is becoming a back-up option, he may be versitile in where he can play but hes a master of none.

Its unfortunately not looking too good for him when the contract expires I would say, however he has been a very lucky guy to get as far as he has up to this time :)

He's a better footballer than when we resigned him last time. I'd say he is a valuable player to have in a squad as he is able to play a number of positions that he doesn't stand out in ( in a good or bad way). While he won't excel he will do his job without costing you the game. Cheap versatile low range a-league level players are still important to squads in a salary capped league.

• Like 2

How does this situation normally play out in the A-League? We saw what happened when JVS took over again at the start of 2014 and Aloisi won his first game in charge too. Interim AFL coaches seem to have a pretty good track record first up.

Now im worried.

Teams usually fire up when this sort of stuff happens

Yes, but it shouldn't really matter. If we are genuine contenders for the play-offs we have to win this match irrespective of back-room changes at Central Coast. If we're going to use this sort of thing as an excuse - and we've used some pretty feeble excuses in the past - then it just shows that we are not worthy contenders.

We have a line-up that should be capable of winning this match comfortably. No more excuses.

• Like 6

Will be interesting to see if we base ourselves in sydney for the three games rather than flying back and forth

Agreed, but I think that the (hardly challenging) Sydney-Melbourne flights, plus the much better facilities that we'll presumably have at our disposal in Melbourne to aid recovery, plus the sleeping in your own bed factor means that they wouldn't stay up the whole time. Perhaps after the mid-week game.

Isn't the third game (Newcastle) at home though?

• Like 1

Remember reading somewhere that teams more often than not lose their first game under new management and that whole idea of players firing up and winning first up was actually bollocks. Let's hope so!

I expect to see;

Velaphi

Jaliens Chapman Kisnorbo Safuwan

Paartalu

Koren Mooy

Williams Kennedy Novillo

Subs: Germano, Clisby, Murdocca, Ramsay, Redmayne

Dropped: Hoffman, Retre

Now im worried.

Yes, but it shouldn't really matter. If we are genuine contenders for the play-offs we have to win this match irrespective of back-room changes at Central Coast. If we're going to use this sort of thing as an excuse - and we've used some pretty feeble excuses in the past - then it just shows that we are not worthy contenders.

We have a line-up that should be capable of winning this match comfortably. No more excuses.

Spot on. Its the exact same shitty CCM squad. Nothing but a 2-3 goal win will suffice

Isn't the third game (Newcastle) at home though?

Ah yes...good point. Can't see it being necessary and can't see the trade-off of saving ourselves maybe four and a half or five hours all up at the airport and in the air would justify sacrificing a couple of days at HQ, using our own facilities.

Now im worried.

No i totally agree mate.

Just old Heart habits die hard

• Like 2

Now im worried.

Spot on. Its the exact same shitty CCM squad. Nothing but a 2-3 goal win will suffice

what surprises me here is that they have sacked Moss so close to game day.  thought they would do the deed Tuesday so that the new bloke can come in and try to build confidence / morale.

nothing short of a win should be accepted.  

if we score an early couple of goals then i can see a big big win on the cards

Please don't tell we have the captain feathersward dress up like a pirate day at ccm active again. It was hard enough watching us lose but that topped it off

Seriously though this is what we should be aiming for a comfortable win, but I'll take 1-0