Melbourne Football

The Ivan Franjic thread

kingofhearts

Happy about this if Franjic is played at right back his natural position. Unfortunately this will probably mean that Safuwan Baharudin will not be offered a contract as Hoffman is likely to be the back up player. So that means that right now our back four consists of Franjic, Chapman, Kisnorbo, and Clisby.

Happy about this if Franjic is played at right back his natural position. Unfortunately this will probably mean that Safuwan Baharudin will not be offered a contract as Hoffman is likely to be the back up player. So that means that right now our back four consists of Franjic, Chapman, Kisnorbo, and Clisby.

Hoffman been told he's free to look for a job elsewhere...

So you would have to imagine his agent is trying to do so because that's basicly a message from the club that his game time will be even more limited than the second half of last year - I just hope someone else offers him a gig.

• Like 1

So you would have to imagine his agent is trying to do so because that's basicly a message from the club that his game time will be even more limited than the second half of last year - I just hope someone else offers him a gig.

Back to the jets I guess

Back to the jets I guess

Thats what I am hoping for TBH.

Back to the jets I guess

yes the Jets! I am so grateful that Tinkler and Stubbins purged so many players before the licence was requisitioned by the FFA that leaves plenty of room for our discards to find a new home.

You obviously don't know much about football management like JVS.

Ivan will play in goals, with Tando as his back-up!

You obviously don't know much about football management like JVS.

Ivan will play in goals, with Tando as his back-up! You don't either. Franjic will play upfront with Harry playing centre back with kisnorbo

Ppl have been asking for this signing for a while so they ought to be happy now. The back-up for him would appear to be Retre, with Hoffman now looking even more an ill-advised contract extension unless he's prepared to trial as Velaphi's deputy.

A back line of Franjic, Chapman, Kisnorbo and Clisby looks OK to me. I don't think we should be be so reliant on overlapping full-backs on both wings, and it's time we learned alternative ways to goal such as playing neat passes through the midfield. Also you don't want too many players being called up for NT duties - be they matches or training camps. Hence I'm comfortable with Clisby.

Ppl have been asking for this signing for a while so they ought to be happy now. The back-up for him would appear to be Retre, with Hoffman now looking even more an ill-advised contract extension unless he's prepared to trial as Velaphi's deputy.

A back line of Franjic, Chapman, Kisnorbo and Clisby looks OK to me. I don't think we should be be so reliant on overlapping full-backs on both wings, and it's time we learned alternative ways to goal such as playing neat passes through the midfield. Also you don't want too many players being called up for NT duties - be they matches or training camps. Hence I'm comfortable with Clisby.

I tend to agree about the Full Back positions...

Aziz was much better player with his moves forward when we had on the other side the reliability of Marrone playing as a more traditional Full Back helping the Center Halves.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Aziz was much better player with his moves forward when we had on the other side the reliability of Marrone playing as a more traditional Full Back helping the Center Halves.

Disagree to a point. If one fb goes the other must sit and the back 3 shift slightly. So having only 1 adventurous fb becomes a little predictable I would love 2 attacking fullbacks (that can obviously defend). And yes playing through is as important, that's were Paartalu needs to find form. If we can somehow find multiple avenues to play out then we will definitely be better for it.Key will be the players decision making and really that's what separates good teams.

• Like 1

Disagree to a point. If one fb goes the other must sit and the back 3 shift slightly. So having only 1 adventurous fb becomes a little predictable I would love 2 attacking fullbacks (that can obviously defend). And yes playing through is as important, that's were Paartalu needs to find form. If we can somehow find multiple avenues to play out then we will definitely be better for it.Key will be the players decision making and really that's what separates good teams.

Paartalu did not have as bad a season as PPL make it but I agree he probably could have been better when you compare his performances to his time at Brisbane but as Brisbane he was playing under a Superstar Coach and with much better players.

If the club recruits Stronger Wingers it should make him be more effective and look a lot better next Season.

Like you were alluding to it will make a big difference when you are a DM and you can pass the ball wide to someone like Broich who's not going to lose the ball as compared to a lot of the Spuds we have had on the wings for many of games last season and the seasons preceding. :wormy:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Exactly it. For the system we (are supposed to) play, the full back on the side the ball is played down is expected to go forward and over lap the winger on that side.

The opposite full back then shifts across to tuck in closer to the CBs who have also shifted. 

That potentially leaves a bit of space behind the opposite FB if the ball gets turned over quickly and is flicked out the other side, but at least they are back there defending.

Problem I noticed last season with make shift FBs is when the correct one went forward, the other tended to do the same (e.g Ramsay) and when the ball was lost and flicked out, the 2 CBs were badly exposed (DM didn't get back either) and we copped goals from the likes of Victory pretty easily who got in behind the errant FB.

• Like 2

Exactly it. For the system we (are supposed to) play, the full back on the side the ball is played down is expected to go forward and over lap the winger on that side.

The opposite full back then shifts across to tuck in closer to the CBs who have also shifted. 

That potentially leaves a bit of space behind the opposite FB if the ball gets turned over quickly and is flicked out the other side, but at least they are back there defending.

Problem I noticed last season with make shift FBs is when the correct one went forward, the other tended to do the same (e.g Ramsay) and when the ball was lost and flicked out, the 2 CBs were badly exposed (DM didn't get back either) and we copped goals from the likes of Victory pretty easily who got in behind the errant FB.

So true... ESP in that first Derby.

But you do realize that Hoff's is a good bloke and he won the "Jezza Walker: I Did Not Stuff Up Too Badly At RB Award" in Season Four.

• Like 1

People need to relax, can't have a marquee in every position. Fact is the squad will have to be made up of minimum wage players if we're signing a guy like Franjic under the cap.

yall be joking, we already got decent earners under the cap 

People need to relax, can't have a marquee in every position. Fact is the squad will have to be made up of minimum wage players if we're signing a guy like Franjic under the cap.

yall be joking, we already got decent earners under the cap

Yes, and then we'd fill up the squad with minimum wage earners.

Fwiw, that's actually a proven strategy, to spend your cap on high quality first 11 players and then fill up the squad on the cheap. Sydney has done it for a while, certainly last season as well as Victory doing the same last season. Whereas someone like Perth went with having the quality more spread out through the squad and that's why they were inferior despite spending more.

We always have to have a fullback sit back because Kisnorbo and Chapman will get exposed by the better attacking teams. We desperately need a quality centre back.

Chapman could quite easily be that quality CB after another full preseason... the kid's pretty impressive.

• Like 5

A-League: Melbourne City signs Socceroos star Ivan Franjic on three-year deal

Matt Windley

June 04, 2015

MELBOURNE City has launched its attack on the 2015-16 A-League season by snaring Socceroos fullback Ivan Franjic on a three-year deal.

Having endured the most frustrating of years at Russian club Torpedo Moscow, Melbourne boy Franjic said he was desperate to play regularly again.

Franjic said his new club’s ambition, impressive playing facilities and playing list were key attractions for him.

However, the 27-year-old conceded his career had taken a turn he did not see coming, starting with the serious hamstring injury he suffered in Australia’s opening World Cup game against Chile almost 12 months ago.

His time in Russia reaped just five games and when Torpedo failed to pay his wages for the second time in three months the 19-time Socceroo was able to break his contract in late April.

“It has been hard, but I didn’t make it easy on myself,” Franjic told the Herald Sun.

“Obviously I got injured at the World Cup and had to have the operation. So when I got there it was 14 games in to the season and then again I got injured in the Asian Cup.

“They weren’t happy with me from that point of view, but that’s football.

“The main thing for me was to come back home for a month and not really think about football, just settle my head.

“I was training a fair bit, but relaxing as well, letting my body heal because Russia is fairly brutal with training.”

A loan move to City almost transpired shortly after January’s Asian Cup, but fell through at the last minute.

So the Manchester City-owned club was always in the forefront of Franjic’s mind when it came time to making a decision on where his next career move would take him.

“I always kept my options open,” he said.

“But City are very ambitious, I spoke to (coach) John van’t Schip and he really wanted me here and we got it over the line in the end.

“It’s probably the last couple of weeks (that talks got serious). I’m a Melbourne boy and I always wanted to come back.

“This is a club that wants to win things, they’re not happy being second best, and that’s the sort of club I want to be at.”

Franjic, a three-time A-League champion with Brisbane Roar, returns to Melbourne for the first time since 2009, when he played with Oakleigh Cannons.

His senior career started at St Albans Saints in 2005 before he moved to Melbourne Knights in 2007.

He has been selected in the Socceroos squad for the first 2018 World Cup qualifier against Kyrgyzstan in Bishkek in 12 days.

“The conditioning coach sent out a program to all of the players who finished the season early, so I’ve been following that pretty religiously.

“I’m super fit now and ready to go to Dubai at the end of this week for our training camp.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league-melbourne-city-signs-socceroos-star-ivan-franjic-on-three-year-deal/story-e6frf423-1227381905118

Wonderful signing. A Socceroo RB, 27 years old, inside the cap for 3 seasons. I rate this signing pretty highly and think Franjic will provide quality in a fullback position where the team has sorely been lacking in quality.

I'm especially tipping Franjic to make a real impact because he's an excellent crosser of the ball, as he showed earlier this year with the Socceroos at the Asian Cup:

He should give us some proper width in possession, which IMO will get numerous other City players a lot more in the game. Defences will have to stretch to defend when Franjic bombs down the flanks and widens the play (previously when our width was Ramsay, Dugandzic and our so-so full-backs, opposition defences didn't need to stretch at all to defend against us), which should create more space in midfield for Mooy and Paartalu to impact the game even more when they get on the ball. Also, maybe now the team will be able to provide Kennedy with some actual service from wide areas, which would take his game up another level.

So all up a great signing in my book, and I think Franjic really complements our other players and can help the whole team all pull in the same direction. An excellent start to the off-season recruitment.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Wonderful signing. A Socceroo RB, 27 years old, inside the cap for 3 seasons. I rate this signing pretty highly and think Franjic will provide quality in a fullback position where the team has sorely been lacking in quality.

I'm especially tipping Franjic to make a real impact because he's an excellent crosser of the ball, as he showed earlier this year with the Socceroos at the Asian Cup:

He should give us some proper width in possession, which IMO will get numerous other City players a lot more in the game. Defences will have to stretch to defend when Franjic bombs down the flanks and widens the play (previously when our width was Ramsay, Dugandzic and our so-so full-backs, opposition defences didn't need to stretch at all to defend against us), which should create more space in midfield for Mooy and Paartalu to impact the game even more when they get on the ball. Also, maybe now the team will be able to provide Kennedy with some actual service from wide areas, which would take his game up another level.

So all up a great signing in my book, and I think Franjic really complements our other players and can help the whole team all pull in the same direction. An excellent start to the off-season recruitment.

I don't know anything about Ivan, Murfy. However by your comments and others on here it seems we have signed a good solid player.

Hopefully the first of many!

Edited by silva10

Best part about this signing is that we finally have someone who can cross the ball to Kennedy's head. This will prove a sizable section of this forum wrong either way.

Kennedy defenders will be silenced when he is still shit with good delivery into the box.

OR

Kennedy haters will be silenced when JK starts putting them way after finally getting some decent delivery.

Either way, the salt will be delicious.

And yes, our football has been so shit that the antics of this forum is what keeps me going sometimes...

It's interesting we've signed Franjic, which is a good signing, but who's been injured and we're looking to sign Gameiro who has also had a long term injury. Hope JVS knows what he's doing.

We know what he is doing. Consistent if nothing else. As long as injuries are to blame, his job is safe. Smart tactic JVS.

Ps. I think we need a medical cross smiley added to the options.

Everyone on here makes it out as if we're the only team who ever gets injuries, Sydney FC had 4 starting XI players suffer season-ending injuries in the first half of the season.

The real challenge is how teams cope after these sorts of injuries with regards to depth, signing quality injury replacements and being flexible with adjusting tactics and formations, and that's where we have typically fallen short. 

• Like 1