Melbourne Football

The Ivan Franjic thread

kingofhearts

Behich > Franjic

At least Franjic can cross a bit better, probably about a 3% chance of successful cross against Behich's 0.1%

Behich is better (or greater than) because he is (in your view) even worse at crossing? I meant in general Behich is better but Franjic is better at crossing (only because it isn't possible to be worse at crossing than Behich).

Duga, Ramsey, Hoffman, Clisby.......

• 3 weeks later...

Why Franjic ditched Europe for City

7 July 2015

Ben Somerford

Socceroo Ivan Franjic says he had options abroad before signing with Melbourne City where he believes game time will be key to his international prospects.

Franjic, 27, had an ill-fated spell in Russia before penning a three-year deal with City last month.

The former Brisbane Roar full-back linked up with his new team-mates for the first time last week as City started pre-season training.

Franjic only managed five appearances for Torpedo Moscow due to hip and hamstring injuries, along with pay issues at the club, which left him frustrated and ultimately led to him seeking a release.

Speaking to FourFourTwo, Franjic revealed Europe was on the table after exiting Torpedo but decided City was the best fit for him.

“I had options abroad but when City approached me they were very keen,” Franjic told FourFourTwo.

“I spoke to John van ’t Schip and he was very keen to have me, so it was a matter of time before I made my decision.

“It’s the best decision for me at this stage of my career leading towards the World Cup qualifiers and Confederations Cup.”

While Franjic’s 12-month spell in Moscow wasn’t a success, he wasn’t fazed about proving himself in Europe and said international prospects were at the heart of his decision.

“Obviously it was a decision I had to make, do I want to stay in Europe or do I want to come to City,” he said.

“For me, over the next 12 months I felt it was important I play first team football, especially after the injuries I had last year. That was a major factor of me returning back to Australia.”

Franjic added that he’d enjoyed his first week at City and was confident they could build on last year’s semi-final finish.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/why-franjic-ditched-europe-city

Was at training today - Franjic scored a nice goal during match simulation, then thirty seconds later copped a knock to what appeared to be the lower leg region. Struggled to get back up and was attended to by fitness staff, then appeared quite frustrated as he walked off whilst training was still going on. 

Fingers crossed it was just a precautionary to come off early, he played very well in the match simulation before going down.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

Was at training today - Franjic scored a nice goal during match simulation, then thirty seconds later copped a knock to what appeared to be the lower leg region. Struggled to get back up and was attended to by fitness staff, then appeared quite frustrated as he walked off whilst training was still going on. 

Fingers crossed it was just a precautionary to come off early, he played very well in the match simulation before going down.

To officially be a Melbourne city player you have to get injured in pre-season. Thats just the way it is.

Why Franjic ditched Europe for City

7 July 2015

Ben Somerford

Socceroo Ivan Franjic says he had options abroad before signing with Melbourne City where he believes game time will be key to his international prospects.

Franjic, 27, had an ill-fated spell in Russia before penning a three-year deal with City last month.

The former Brisbane Roar full-back linked up with his new team-mates for the first time last week as City started pre-season training.

Franjic only managed five appearances for Torpedo Moscow due to hip and hamstring injuries, along with pay issues at the club, which left him frustrated and ultimately led to him seeking a release.

Speaking to FourFourTwo, Franjic revealed Europe was on the table after exiting Torpedo but decided City was the best fit for him.

“I had options abroad but when City approached me they were very keen,” Franjic told FourFourTwo.

“I spoke to John van ’t Schip and he was very keen to have me, so it was a matter of time before I made my decision.

“It’s the best decision for me at this stage of my career leading towards the World Cup qualifiers and Confederations Cup.”

While Franjic’s 12-month spell in Moscow wasn’t a success, he wasn’t fazed about proving himself in Europe and said international prospects were at the heart of his decision.

“Obviously it was a decision I had to make, do I want to stay in Europe or do I want to come to City,” he said.

“For me, over the next 12 months I felt it was important I play first team football, especially after the injuries I had last year. That was a major factor of me returning back to Australia.”

Franjic added that he’d enjoyed his first week at City and was confident they could build on last year’s semi-final finish.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/why-franjic-ditched-europe-city

hmmmm on that article alone, i get the impression he's just playing for us as a stepping stone to other ambitions.

All i hear is we wanted him to come so he came as it will give him starting time to prove himself again. He doesn't actually say he wants to play for us.

Now i realise many players would have a similar goal, but it does make me feel a little uneasy.

Hope I'm wrong.

Hmm, wonder who we'll have to sign as his injury replacement...

were they these new uk fitness staff?

Nah, they were Aussie. These staff were also working with Mooy and Gameiro on getting their fitness back. 

Novillo was also working one on one with goal shooting, certainly knows how to hit a ball. 

Ahh right. Any other interesting bits from it? or just everyone trying to regain fitness? I was hoping to head out there next tuesday

The match simulation was quite high intense, Koren did nothing and unfortunately Partaalu was very rusty - he mistimed a couple of challenges and appeared slow at times.

No sign of Williams or the Hoff, Tando was Tando, Novillo was very composed on the ball and received the ball on the left side of the pitch a lot. 

As said, Franjic looked fantastic before he went down, was very assured and fluent on the ball, really provided a difference. 

Kuzmanovski (spelling?) was pretty decent too, received quite a lot of the ball. 

Overheard an assistant coach saying something about a game on Friday? Assuming he was referring to the NPL?  

Melling, James Brown and Garuccio watched on and there were a couple of NYL players filling in. 

Can an also confirm that Gameiro and Melling are Liverpool fans and Melling doesn't like Gameiro's rims on his car. 

What's the deal with watching training? I rang up the club on Monday and asked if were allowed to watch training but the lady said no, all training sessions are closed.

What's the deal with watching training? I rang up the club on Monday and asked if were allowed to watch training but the lady said no, all training sessions are closed.

haha well I just rocked up with no idea, and they just happened to be training when I got there. 

The main fence part of the car park was open, had no issues getting in.

haha well I just rocked up with no idea, and they just happened to be training when I got there. 

The main fence part of the car park was open, had no issues getting in.

Do you remember what time they started or finished training and did you actually park in the CFA car park? I want to go either tomorrow or Friday

The match simulation was quite high intense, Koren did nothing and unfortunately Partaalu was very rusty - he mistimed a couple of challenges and appeared slow at times.

No sign of Williams or the Hoff, Tando was Tando, Novillo was very composed on the ball and received the ball on the left side of the pitch a lot. 

As said, Franjic looked fantastic before he went down, was very assured and fluent on the ball, really provided a difference. 

Kuzmanovski (spelling?) was pretty decent too, received quite a lot of the ball. 

Overheard an assistant coach saying something about a game on Friday? Assuming he was referring to the NPL?  

Melling, James Brown and Garuccio watched on and there were a couple of NYL players filling in. 

Can an also confirm that Gameiro and Melling are Liverpool fans and Melling doesn't like Gameiro's rims on his car. 

Well Paartalau better get going quickly because he did not meet expectations last season and for the up coming season he has no excuse.

Do you remember what time they started or finished training and did you actually park in the CFA car park? I want to go either tomorrow or Friday

They started by at least about 11:30, finished by 12:30, and I parked in the car park just before the CFA car park, plenty of space there. 

There were a couple of people watching as well, there were no dramas with us watching or anything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things i;m looking forward too is people actually not being negative cunts on the forum all the time

I'm not being negative, I think he'll be a great signing. But the fact is he can't defend, and historically people on this forum put way too much emphasis on the defending ability of full backs, so it will be pretty entertaining to see what happens when this guy is a crucial attacking weapon but makes a few defensive fuck ups. 

I'm not being negative, I think he'll be a great signing. But the fact is he can't defend, and historically people on this forum put way too much emphasis on the defending ability of full backs, so it will be pretty entertaining to see what happens when this guy is a crucial attacking weapon but makes a few defensive fuck ups. 

Fair enough look he'll be an improvement over hoffman/Jailens/insert random makeshift RB there but last season our fullbacks were essentially non existent defensively or offensively so surely for the a-league anyway his level of defence will be at least on par.

Look, it's fine to have reservations about the coach for the upcoming season. I still very much believe JVS has a point to prove. However, i feel as for signing's so far this off-season we have done the best in club history and yet people are still picking out the tiniest flaws in really good players.

*I haven't seen Franjic play since his Brisbane days so I'll reserve judgement about his defensive capabilities until i see him play for us.

Fair enough look he'll be an improvement over hoffman/Jailens/insert random makeshift RB there but last season our fullbacks were essentially non existent defensively or offensively so surely for the a-league anyway his level of defence will be at least on par.

Look, it's fine to have reservations about the coach for the upcoming season. I still very much believe JVS has a point to prove. However, i feel as for signing's so far this off-season we have done the best in club history and yet people are still picking out the tiniest flaws in really good players.

*I haven't seen Franjic play since his Brisbane days so I'll reserve judgement about his defensive capabilities until i see him play for us.

I agree we've done well with signings, and there really should be zero excuses this season for JVS as he surely should be happy with the players now. Many of the new players strike me as players who fit JVS' tactics and style, Franjic is definitively a good example as JVS has always liked really attacking fullbacks.

I agree we've done well with signings, and there really should be zero excuses this season for JVS as he surely should be happy with the players now. Many of the new players strike me as players who fit JVS' tactics and style, Franjic is definitively a good example as JVS has always liked really attacking fullbacks.

I think everything will come down to who and how the #9 is played. The way the list is coming together the most important factor will be the centre forward. 

I have a feeling he will be an overrated right back that knew Postecoglou's system (and anyone who plays in Postecoglou's system will be a good player due to the system) - and people will be expecting a lot of him but he will just be a good A League defender. 

Hopefully he proves me wrong!

*Edit - in saying that - he is a lot better than any RB we have previously had in terms of age and talent and salary cap.

Edited by pattyd89

I believe so, but I'm just waiting for the landslide of shit that he will receive after a few rounds for defensive failures.

Very true, but if he can balance assists with being caught out then I'm happy. Attack minded defensive players create a good mindset for the entire team. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Melbourne City star Ivan Franjic’s debut for new club put on hold thanks to quad injury

David Davutovic

October 04 2015

STAR Melbourne City signing Ivan Franjic is struggling to be fit for Saturday’s season opener away to Sydney FC, as he battles to overcome a quad injury.

Franjic was a spectator last Tuesday when City beat neighbours Heidelberg United in the FFA Cup quarter-finals and appears set to be a spectator once again.

The Socceroos is yet to play tore his quadriceps in August, meaning he is yet to play an official game for City, but is likely to turn his attention to the Round 2 derby on Saturday week.

“I’ve had a bit of an injury setback, I’ll be 50-50 for the start of the season,’’ Franjic said.

“I had tear in my quadriceps muscle, it was just unlucky, a freak accident at training where someone kicked the ball and I had to jump over and turned wrongly.

“It’s part of the game, its behind me, it’s been about over six weeks now.

“It was disappointing at the time because I missed out on the Socceroos.

“I’m feeling good, I’m confident I’ll overcome it and once I return I hope to play every game and try to get back in the Socceroos.’’

Franjic signed for City after a disappointing season with Russians Torpedo Moscow, where he struggled to break into the first XI.

He overcame a lack of game-time to play a key role for the Socceroos at the Asian Cup, gallantly playing until deep into the second half before limping off in the 74th minute with an adductor strain suffered in the semi-final.

Franjic said the lack of football over the last year wasn’t a factor in his latest setback.

“It’s disappointing because when I signed I was looking forward to the FFA Cup and the Socceroos games and had a good pre-season, but it hasn’t been like that,’’ he said.

“My body was feeling very good and I was doing all the right things, but it was one of those freak accidents.’’

Melbourne-born Franjic got his breakthrough at Brisbane Roar, where he won two titles, but has high hopes for his new team and has been impressed with his new employer.

“Impressions so far are good, the facilities are different class, no-one has facilities like this, because everyone co-shares or trains elsewhere, we can set our own training times,’’ Franjic said.

“It’s a good team environment, we just need to start winning some silverware.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/melbourne-city-star-ivan-franjics-debut-for-new-club-put-on-hold-thanks-to-quad-injury/story-e6frf423-1227556721298

From Russia with no love - Ivan Franjic glad to be back home

6th Oct 2015

Josh Spasaro

FOOTBALL: Socceroos defender Ivan Franjic is happy to be back in familiar territory as he prepares to re-launch his career with Melbourne City, even though a quad injury threatens to sideline him for the opening game against Sydney FC on Saturday night.

Like most young footballers growing up in Australia, Franjic aspired to ply his trade overseas, and after a strong display for Australia at last year's World Cup in Brazil, accepted a three-year contract to play for newly-promoted Russian Premier League club Torpedo Moscow.

But after getting just three starts in seven months, and not being paid, he decided enough was enough, signing a three-year deal with City.

"Of course not getting paid was disappointing, but I just had to deal with it the best way I could at the time," the 27-year-old told APN.

"It's all in FIFA's hands now, and if I don't get paid there's nothing else I can do about it."

To add injury to insult, Franjic also had several soft tissue problems to deal with in Russia, but unfortunately the club had precious few resources in its medical department.

"It was a hard time over there, especially when the club didn't have a physio, translator or conditioning coach to help me out," he said.

"But those experiences only make you stronger.

"There are no regrets at all about going over there - I chose to do it.

He also chose to link with Melbourne City, which has promised plenty but delivered little since beginning life in the A-League as Melbourne Heart in 2009.

But the two-time championship winner with Brisbane Roar said he was confident that would change this season.

"We've had a great pre-season and the belief is there that we can win a championship - the whole squad has been training and gelling well," Franjic said.

"John van't Schip is a great coach and he's one of the main reasons why I decided to come here."

The quad injury has also kept the defender out of the Socceroos squad for the past three World Cup qualifiers, and he will also Friday morning's clash with Jordan in Amman.

He said he would be doing all he could to prove his fitness for the next match against Kyrgyzstan in Canberra on November 12, by which stage he will have hopefully played a handful of games for City, including the FFA Cup semi-final against Perth Glory on October 21.

"I just want to get back on the park at the moment, but you always aim to play for your country," he said.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/russia-no-love-ivan-franjic-glad-be-back-home/2797990/