Melbourne Football

The Ivan Franjic thread

kingofhearts

true to form, the Heart/City recruitment of injured players

Pity, cos if he is fit and on the pitch, we would have a stellar line up 

oh well, taken over the Germano corner of the treatment room

No pressure to Andrew McKenzie, who joins us as our head of human performance. (he will oversee the medical, sports science and player support services departments)

oh well, taken over the Germano corner of the treatment room

The good news is that the investment in rehab facilities is being fully utilised. We don't want players to make "miraculous recoveries" like this bloke do we? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/rob-horne-back-in-wallabies-frame-for-scotland-rugby-world-cup/6856202?section=sport

The good news is that the investment in rehab facilities is being fully utilised. We don't want players to make "miraculous recoveries" like this bloke do we? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/rob-horne-back-in-wallabies-frame-for-scotland-rugby-world-cup/6856202?section=sport

shit, leave him out and play are real winger , like Mitchell or Tomane

not a converted outside centre

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

That's what I was hoping and expected, so I think it's good news. He is on track to start next week 

Torn on this one. I am not sure that I want to rush him back in a desperate move like the club did earlier this season with Zullo or let him have another game at NYL, cop a beating this week, and then bring him off the bench the week after.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Torn on this one. I am not sure that I want to rush him back in a desperate move like the club did earlier this season with Zullo or let him have another game at NYL, cop a beating this week, and then bring him off the bench the week after.

The last thing he needs is a 2 hour plane trip, save him for the next home game v Perth

Ivan Franjic finally plays his first game for Melbourne City

November 21, 2015

Matt Windley

IT HAS taken 11 months but finally Ivan Franjic has played his 10th game of 2015 and his first for Melbourne City.

And, after what has been the most frustrating 18 months of his career, Franjic is confident the worst of his injury woe is behind him, telling himself and The Herald Sun that he can’t live in fear of another potential setback.

There was the serious hamstring injury suffered in the first game of last year’s World Cup against Chile that kept him out for the best part of four months.

Then he copped a groin injury that forced him off in the final of the Asian Cup against South Korea in January and sidelined him for a further two months.

And finally there was the dual quad injury that he first injured in his second week of training at new club City in July and then re-injured just before the October kick-off to the new A-League season.

Franjic’s 2015 has entailed six games during Australia’s winning Asian Cup campaign, two games in April for Torpedo Moscow before ties were cut with the Russian club and then a Socceroos World Cup qualifier against Kyrgyzstan in June before he finally got on the park for City on Friday night.

“It’s been a frustrating year,” Franjic said.

“But that’s part and parcel of the game, isn’t it? I’ve been working extremely hard and I’ve changed a few things up.

“I rarely get injured, it might not seem like that but it’s true.

“Something has happened over the past year or so, I can’t describe what, but I’ve been working hard with the medical staff here at the club and they’ve got me in good shape.

“I feel like my body has matured a lot more over the past six months, especially because I’ve been in the gym a lot. I’ve fixed up these little things and now I’m doing pilates as well, so hopefully it’s all headed in the right direction.

“When you get an injury I think you’re always hesitant at the start, but you have to be strong mentally and when you step on that pitch you have to tell yourself that nothing is going to go wrong.”

Funnily enough, Franjic’s 32-minute second half cameo came at a place that is all-too familiar for him, Suncorp Stadium, where he played five seasons and won three championships with the Brisbane Roar.

“It’s football, people move around,” he said.

“I’m a City player now and I’m grateful that I’m here. Maybe some Brisbane fans are a bit bitter, but that’s OK, I got a couple of boos, but the rest clapped.

“I’ve got great respect for the Roar and their fans, they were great to me.”

Franjic said his body felt fine after his senior return, which came seven days after he played another 32 minutes for the club’s youth team.

The 28-year-old said he was unsure if he would be picked to start against Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Friday night, but said he would be putting his hand up.

“I’m looking forward to getting a few games under my belt and hopefully showing the fans in Melbourne what I can really do.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/ivan-franjic-finally-plays-his-first-game-for-melbourne-city/news-story/647c931a9a47fd853ad3a1c23f16ab7b

Melbourne City’s star recruit Ivan Franjic ready to hit top gear after horror injury run

November 25, 2015

David Davutovic

A RELIEVED Ivan Franjic has declared that he is ready to play 90 minutes for Melbourne City and is confident of hitting his straps by January.

Franjic has targeted the March World Cup qualifiers for a Socceroos return after making his first official appearance since Australia’s 2-1 win away to Kyrgyzstan five months ago.

The right-back was lively in a 32-minute City debut after recovering from a quad injury that he aggravated when he was on the verge of returning in September, and was looking forward to a home debut in his home city.

“I’ll put my hand up to start, but it’s up to the coaches and medical (staff) to see where I’m at. I believe I could (last 90 minutes) yes,’’ Franjic said.

“I’ll go out there, I won’t put limits on, once you step over that white line, you’re fit and there’s no excuses. I’m looking forward to it, Melbourne’s where I grew up.

“The first game back you’re running on adrenaline so it’s not really there but coming through training there’s periods where you doubt yourself and think it might go again.

“But you just have to push through it and it’s about knowing your body and knowing your limits, and I’m not getting any younger.

“My main focus is getting a run of games for Melbourne City now and getting my body back to where it was a couple of years ago and once that happens hopefully win a championship or two here.

“To get back to 100 per cent I’m probably four-to-six good weeks away. It’s just games.’’

TV networks played overlay footage of Franjic’s crunching tackle of Thomas Broich after John Aloisi’s stinging “anti football” sentiments.

But Franjic defended his challenge and revealed that he got the thumbs up from his former teammate.

“Every coach is entitled to their opinion and that was his. I didn’t think it was a yellow and Broich came up afterwards and said great tackle, but Beathy (referee Chris Beath) saw it different,’’ he said.

“We had a chat and I disagreed with Beathy but you move on.’’

Franjic, who’s been the no. 1 option at right-back in the Ange Postecoglou era, hoped to win his Socceroos spot back after Ryan McGowan, Tarek Elrich and Josh Risdon were tried there.

“Definitely. Obviously I have to start performing each week in the A-League then it’s up to the boss Ange if he trunk I’m good enough to get back in there,’’ Franjic said.

“But I’ll work hard, do everything right and keep performing and hopefully it’s good enough to get me back in there.

“Ange, especially through this phase wants to establish depth in the Socceroo line up so we don’t just rely on 20 player but 40, so he’s giving everyone a great opportunity.’’

Franjic said it had been frustrating watching the first six rounds from the sidelines but planned to make an impact.

“You always want to be out there trying to help. We need to get some consistency behind our performances. We’ve got a lot of key players coming back in the next few weeks and there’s going to be competition for places, which is important,’’ he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-star-recruit-ivan-franjic-ready-to-hit-top-gear-after-horror-injury-run/news-story/a044d4e8e63e9fe283e0ea72edd0de55

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, silva10 said:

I thought it was his best performance so far, especially going forward. Yes, he can and needs to improve defensively, but that will happen if he can stay injury free.

I thought he was very proppy in the first half, and didn't look match fit to me.

• Like 2