Melbourne Football

Round 13: Newcastle v. City, Tuesday 30th Dec, K.O. 5.00 p.m.

jw1739

To keep our momentum going we need a minimum of 4 points from the next two matches, and IMO they are going to tell us whether we are contenders or pretenders. IMO the main area we need to see improvement is our front three. We're just not threatening enough. Even in the warm-up against Perth we could not get the ball on target.

• Like 2

This is a game we're will be heavy favourites and should win.

2-0 to newy

Logical for Heart but as City we have Paartalu and Paddy providing goal mouth threats not to mention Mooy and Melling who have kicks on them like mules. Koren to come on and score an Engelaar-esque screamer. Meanwhile, our front dynamic troika will keep squandering chances from every conceivable angle. Newy have leaked more and scored fewer goals than us. We will win 2:1 with Paddy conceding a crappy penalty.

The optimist in me (believe it or not he is in there. He is just starving to death because he doesn't get fed very often supporting this team) is feeling like we are going to really turn it on for this game and win in style.

The pessimist (who has been gorging himself to the point of morbid obesity) is feeling a scrappy, narrow loss.

• Like 2

Well we'll see.  I don't think its correct to say that Newcastle are performing poorly right now though.

Newcastle beat Adelaide last week and play tonight against the 'tards (who are at home for the first time in the league this season). Given that the tards are in a bit of a hole right now, Newcastle may well get something out of that game too.  If they do, they will be very confident for the game versus us, so this game could be a lot harder than most on here consider.

If we play to our current form we should win though, despite whatever Newcastle do or don't do tonight.

Jets had no ambition against the visitors and spent most of the game sitting in the bus parked across the goalmouth. They'll be more ambitious at home. This is a hard game to predict, 5 years of pre-conditioning tell me that this is a game that we should win so that means we'll lose but who knows at the moment.

Massive, massive game for us. Firstly, we need to keep the momentum up from our recent solid form and secondly, our closest two rivals (at this stage) for the last two finals positions play each other next week, which means a win would either draw us closer to Sydney, put more space between us and Brisbane, or both (if they draw).

• Like 1

City bandwagon rolls north to Newcastle

December 28, 2014

Michael Lynch

Melbourne City will be looking to stretch their unbeaten run to four and further dent Newcastle Jets confidence when they head to the Hunter Valley to take on the struggling Novocastrians on Tuesday night.

John Van 't Schip's side are arguably the form team of the league on their past three games, having beaten last season's champions Brisbane, the team currently lying second in the A-League, Melbourne Victory, and drawn with league leaders Perth Glory.

The Dutchman was pleased with his side after the draw with Glory, saying that clear signs of improvement were becoming obvious, but wary of getting too far ahead of himself.

As well he might. Before the past three weeks, City had been an A-League byword for flakiness.

In many games they had played really well and dominated in  patches only to fall away, letting possible wins turn into draws, allowing draws to become defeats.

But it does seem that the 5-1 shellacking in Wellington a month or so ago was a line-in-the-sand moment for everyone at the club, not least the coach.

He made a raft of changes for the Brisbane game that followed, got some lucky breaks and City grabbed their first home win of the season. 

They have now taken seven points out of the last nine and are starting to look a bit like the team everyone expected them to be. 

Tando Velaphi has done well in goal after succeeding Andrew Redmayne, conceding only one goal in his three games, while the addition of Ben Garuccio at left back and the quicker Connor Chapman at centre half (alongside the vastly experienced captain Patrick Kisnorbo) has given City mobility at the back that it lacked when Rob Wielaert and Kisnorbo were together at the heart of the defence.

Regaining the former Slovenia captain Rob Koren after a long injury absence has also given everyone at La Trobe a spring in their step.

Koren is a smart, skilful attacking player who can create and finish. He is lacking in match practice now, but with every game that goes by the ex-West Brom and Hull forward will get better and have a bigger impact.

The Jets are desperate to turn some improved performances into points. They felt aggrieved to leave AAMI Park on Saturday night with nothing, having defended valiantly for 83 minutes against a Melbourne Victory line-up that was struggling to break them down.

There were good signs for the Jets, but they need to be good enough to take whatever chances come their way when they play a counter-attacking game like that.

Against City, at home, they will be expected to make the play and that could suit City's quick attackers such as David Williams and Mate Dugandzic and the tireless midfielder Aaron Mooy, who was unlucky to miss out on selection for the Socceroos' Asian Cup squad.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/city-bandwagon-rolls-north-to-newcastle-20141228-12elme.html

Does anyone else feel the club had made its biggest culture shift in its history over the past 4 weeks? I never felt this whenever we went on any of our small or big winning streakes in the past and even though it's only two wins and a draw it just feels different to all those times. Is it the culmination of some of our players like Melling, Chapman etc. or JVS change of coaching methods i don't know.

Or am I just talking out of my arse and will be disappointed over the next week? :droy:

Hard to pick this one, we've never done particularly well against Newcastle away, but if this cultural shift is true and the belief is there that we should be a top team then the past results can be thrown out the window. I'll pick it will end in a 1-1 draw.

Does anyone else feel the club had made its biggest culture shift in its history over the past 4 weeks? I never felt this whenever we went on any of our small or big winning streakes in the past and even though it's only two wins and a draw it just feels different to all those times. Is it the culmination of some of our players like Melling, Chapman etc. or JVS change of coaching methods i don't know.

Or am I just talking out of my arse and will be disappointed over the next week? :droy:

Hard to pick this one, we've never done particularly well against Newcastle away, but if this cultural shift is true and the belief is there that we should be a top team then the past results can be thrown out the window. I'll pick it will end in a 1-1 draw.

I know exactly what you are saying, it does feel very different to other times and for me its because (for the first time in the clubs history) we are seeing players have to face consequences for poor performances . The change in mentality has been nothing short of incredible. It actually reminds me of that run we went on right after City bought us and everyone thought they would have to impress the new owners. But then they realized they were safe so they went back to being shit.

I feel as though lots of people have been given a very stern warning (if the axe has not fallen already) and unless we really pick up soon there will be wrath to face. Massive game for a lot of reasons

But I am drunk so who knows.  

I know exactly what you are saying, it does feel very different to other times and for me its because (for the first time in the clubs history) we are seeing players have to face consequences for poor performances . The change in mentality has been nothing short of incredible. It actually reminds me of that run we went on right after City bought us and everyone thought they would have to impress the new owners. But then they realized they were safe so they went back to being shit.

I feel as though lots of people have been given a very stern warning (if the axe has not fallen already) and unless we really pick up soon there will be wrath to face. Massive game for a lot of reasons

But I am drunk so who knows.  

First time poster!

KSK, drunken ramblings have a habit of being honest, so I agree with what you're saying.

Back on point, Newcastle have been struggling. Draw will be a good result, but I think we are capable of a win this round.

• Like 1

First time poster!

KSK, drunken ramblings have a habit of being honest, so I agree with what you're saying.

Back on point, Newcastle have been struggling. Draw will be a good result, but I think we are capable of a win this round.

Long time viewer?  :lol:

Honestly, I'll be disappointed with anything less than a win against Newcastle. If we want to give the finals a real shake then I think we need to push our way into the top 4 and draws against Newcastle won't do anything to help that cause.

Really don't know what to expect. The Heart in me is screaming a 3:0 insipid loss. The City is saying a 2:0 win. We are nearly at full strength we have played exceptionally well in our last 3 against quality opposition we should win. Having said that our front 3 were off last week. Hopefully with Duff starting if Williams and Duganzic could put in a performance similar to Roar away we could get the points.

Feeling very conflicted. Hopeful but not confident.

Hate to say this but the way Kalmar was shoved out the door was probably the wake up call for a lot of players. The arrival of Melling and Chapman has meant that some of the oldies know that the writing is on the wall. As for players like Garuccio, Retre and Marino, now know what needs to be done. I think that is the change we are seeing. But being old I ould like to see the continued commitment for the remainder of the season to be convinced.

As for Newcastle their defensive tactics were successful against Victory. Berisha dived but that Finkler goal was superb. most people in this forum are saying that our front three are not doing enough and most definitely not scoring. So if City were to win this game, then the onus is on the front three to take the game on.

I am looking forward to this!

I don't really have any strong feelings to the scoreline, maybe 2-1 or 1-0 City win, either way if we can perform like the last three games then we should be able to snatch this one!

Hope so, haven't been at a game that we've won outright yet. I've seen 2 draws and a loss.

Sure you really want to go?

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this!

I don't really have any strong feelings to the scoreline, maybe 2-1 or 1-0 City win, either way if we can perform like the last three games then we should be able to snatch this one!

Hope so, haven't been at a game that we've won outright yet. I've seen 2 draws and a loss.

Sure you really want to go?

Haha yes, I must add two of those games were against Sydney.

• Like 1

Jaliens should be back for this, shouldn't he? Makes the Jets look a bit better on paper, but he hasn't exactly been covering himself in glory with his performance as captain so far this year.

Jaliens hasn't impressed me at all. As far as I can see his only redeeming feature is he looks like a mate of mine. Hopefully his previous form continues in this game.

Jason Hoffman misses out again as Melbourne City warn of Jets' Edson Montano threat

December 29, 2014

Michael Lynch

With seven points out of nine and wins over defending champions Brisbane, title fancies Melbourne Victory and league leaders Perth Glory in their last three games Melbourne City have strong claims to being the A-League's in-form team.

But coach John van 't Schip is wary of  declaring a mid-season revival too soon and guarded when asked if his team have turned the corner after a disappointing start to the campaign.

He is impressed, however,  that in recent matches his team have managed to dig in and not fall apart when they concede goals, particularly if they have been out in front and then pegged back. That was a characteristic that blighted their opening to the season, when they often took the lead only to draw games or end up being beaten.

"It's too early to say that. What is for sure is that the boys have gone in front in games, against Perth,  the difference in the last three games is that we have shown we are more solid in our defensive structure. Maybe in the games before we were playing very good parts, but we had 20 minutes of blackouts where we conceded one, two or three goals. Look at [earlier games against] Victory and Wellington. We conceded four goals in 20 minutes. The same happened with Victory.

"I think that's something the boys understood, the reaction was good, and we worked on that, but it's still something you have to put on the pitch every week. I think that awareness is more clear now."

City's good run of recent form has seen them climb the table and if they can get three points on Tuesday night when they travel to Newcastle they could close to within one point of fifth-placed Sydney with a game in hand.

Robbie Koren and Damien Duff will be in the squad, but the latter is more likely to be a starter than the former, who is still regaining match fitness.

Full back Jason Hoffman will, however, be an absentee once more. He has not recovered from the back injury he sustained during a Christmas Day training session that kept him out of the Perth Glory draw  and he will miss the match with Newcastle and also the Central coast game that follows. Veteran Dutch centre back Rob Wielaert, who had been dropped, was recalled to fill in at full back and is likely to hold his place.

Despite the optimistic sentiment  van 't Schip cautions against any over-confidence. The Jets might be second bottom of the table but they did beat Adelaide in their last home game and came within seven minutes of frustrating Victory at AAMI Park on Saturday night. If not for Gui Finkler's wonderful free kick the Novocastrians would have gone home with a point for their efforts.

"We want to finish the first part [before the season breaks for the Asian Cup]  in a good way, and that means a good result against Newcastle and Central Coast [whom City play on January 4] is important. It is especially, if you look at the table, but more for what we are doing at the moment.

"Newcastle clearly came for a draw against Victory, played with a very defensive structure, working very hard together; in the end it was a disappointment for them but  it's something they have to deal with. It's a home game [against City] so it's different. I expect them to be a lot more attacking in front of their own crowd and go for the three points, not like the way they approached the game against Victory in a more defensive way."

City will be well aware of the threat posed by Ecuadorean striker Edson Montano and former Socceroo Joel Griffiths.

"Both are dangerous, both have scored against us. Montano holds every ball up, he's strong, he can turn away and roll an opponent and bring other players into position. They have shown good spells and parts of the game.

"We were lucky to score a goal against them in the end [in the round-two clash at AAMI Park when David Villa levelled with three minutes remaining after Montano had put the visitors in front in the 62nd minute]. They had a good chance to go two up with [Zenon] Caravella to decide the game, even though over the whole game they were the team having the most opportunities and chances. They were organised and it will be the same now. They will be defensively organised, but I expect them to go forward more than they did against Victory."

Nick Kalmar's departure to Western Sydney Wanderers frees up a little room in the salary cap and opens up a playing space and van 't Schip said he was looking to bring in a replacement.

If he wants to bring in more new faces, however, he will have to shift out-of-favour players out of the club.

"We have to be creative and we have to look at what's possible for the short and long term. The best would be getting someone in who is good now directly but also for the longer term."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/jason-hoffman-misses-out-again-as-melbourne-city-warn-of-jets-edson-montano-threat-20141229-12eyl8.html

No doubt there has been some sort of turnaround. The statistics from the wins against Brisbane and victory indicate much improved performances from the team:

2w5j0wh.jpg

Those are stats that ranked every team in the league over those 2 rounds, and Melbourne City had the best numbers in just about every category.

All the more remarkable when it's remembered that Melbourne City was playing without its marquees, and without any real input from its Visa players over that period. Melbourne City's starting XI in the derby was only the 3rd time in 5 years that all of an A-League team's starting XI has been Australian-born.

And against Perth the stats were:

Shots at goal: 14.0

Goals conceded: 1

Shots conceded: 7

Shots on conceded: 4

Effective tackles: 21 (probably explained in large part by the fact that the team had a lot more possession & territory than in recent games)

Does the increased standard of performances and results continue? I think it might well, given the players we have returning to the team. Also, pretty much for the first time ever at the club more positions than not have serious competition for places every week, and I reckon that significantly boosts the mentality, the sharpness and the performances of players.

Given the amount of false dawns at the club, which have been witnessed season after season, scepticism is completely understandable, and it is perhaps reasonable to try and not expect results going into matches (I think I've enjoyed the past 3 matches a lot because I didn't have any serious expectations going into those matches).

But slowly I reckon a 'new normal', and a better normal, is starting to appear at the club. 

Edited by Murfy1