Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

0 Visa slots will make it hard to do much, so Tilio could be a great option even with the amount of wingers we have, just to have something fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

Leckie could play in midfield like he did last season.

My personal priority would be a defender, personal pick would be Fran Karacic.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

People keep banging on about Leckie and Nabbout. But they have been absent for quite a while. How close are they to actually playing? We need a functioning bench as well as just 11 starters. We also face another rebuild at the end of this season. Maybe Tilio back on loan doesn't have to be just for six months?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

0 Visa slots will make it hard to do much, so Tilio could be a great option even with the amount of wingers we have, just to have something fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

Leckie could play in midfield like he did last season.

My personal priority would be a defender, personal pick would be Fran Karacic.

From all reports Karacic had offers from a few different aleague clubs and he rejected them all and wants to stay in Europe. 

Although he is "Australian" he isn't from here and has no pull or desire to come here by sounds of it 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

People keep banging on about Leckie and Nabbout. But they have been absent for quite a while. How close are they to actually playing? We need a functioning bench as well as just 11 starters. We also face another rebuild at the end of this season. Maybe Tilio back on loan doesn't have to be just for six months?

Looking at who is out of contract next season I would probably keep

Maclaren, Nabbout, Good, Sakhi (option to buy)

Leckie is excellent but he is quite injury prone, will be 33 and takes up a marquee slot so on a reduced wage definitely re-sign.

If we can do all that then we are only really looking for 3-4 players in starting XI positions and maybe another 2 in squad players so not all that bad.

Also depends on who the coach will actually be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Looking at who is out of contract next season I would probably keep

Maclaren, Nabbout, Good, Sakhi (option to buy)

Leckie is excellent but he is quite injury prone, will be 33 and takes up a marquee slot so on a reduced wage definitely re-sign.

If we can do all that then we are only really looking for 3-4 players in starting XI positions and maybe another 2 in squad players so not all that bad.

Also depends on who the coach will actually be.

I would put the house on Leckie retiring at the end of this season. He'll have nothing left to play for once this Asia Cup is over...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zanty said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/going-nuts-over-natta-clubs-queue-to-snare-young-jets-defender-603749

"A-League newcomers Auckland are also keen to tempt the ball-playing centre-back away from the Jets, along with Adelaide United and two of the three Melbourne-based clubs."

A young promising defender potentially linked with Melbourne City? I'm on my knees, Petrillo.

30 minutes ago, IssySG said:

A young promising defender potentially linked with Melbourne City? I'm on my knees, Petrillo.

Not excited at all. It's Mark Natta for God's sake. Reject from Victory and WSW and playing with Jets currently. There's a picture of him in the dictionary under ordinary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Zanty said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/going-nuts-over-natta-clubs-queue-to-snare-young-jets-defender-603749

"A-League newcomers Auckland are also keen to tempt the ball-playing centre-back away from the Jets, along with Adelaide United and two of the three Melbourne-based clubs."

Doesn't mention us specifically.

8 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Not excited at all. It's Mark Natta for God's sake. Reject from Victory and WSW and playing with Jets currently. There's a picture of him in the dictionary under ordinary.

So was Aziz Behich and Nabbout who came to us via the Jets. I must admit that I have not been watching him specifically but maybe has improved enough to fit in.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's playing for the Olyroos...

Played 90 mins against Qatar, bench for Saudi. He was released by WSW and Jets picked him up on a free. He's not really tall. Transfermarkt has him listed at 189 cm which is around 6 foot. Saying all that he has a goal to his name this season and is only 21 and played mostly 90 mins of every game this season but that might just be Jets got no one else.

If we are after Natta IMO it's consistent with a rebuild right across the club. The Academy doesn't seem seem to have a lot on offer at the moment. Don't know what's happened to Durakovic, and Sulemani is injured. Stokes never blossomed and has left, and Hall looks out of favour. With an ageing squad I think it's OK to be pursuing what we see as talent, just as we stole Beach from CCM, and others.

Natta is very much a ball playing CB, on the ball he is terrific, defending he is ok. Probably similar to Rowles, a bit better on the ball, but less physical, which could be more due to age than anything.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, moops said:

Natta is very much a ball playing CB, on the ball he is terrific, defending he is ok. Probably similar to Rowles, a bit better on the ball, but less physical, which could be more due to age than anything.

Harper was banging on about him. Automatically makes me think he's shite. Unfair on the guy though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Well if true this would be one out of the box.  it’s not every day a player quits a fortnight after being given a contract extension.

Yeah how odd. 

Double green line for the person who can spoil what’s really going on here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Bozanic, James Holland or Hrustic would be my guess

35, 34, 27.

According to transfermarkt Hrustic hasn't played for a long while due to ankle surgery.
Holland has not had many minutes in the Austrian Bundesliga, but does appear to be still pretty active. I think they may be on their winter break?

Maybe he would be the one, perhaps on loan until the end of the season?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It would be good if we can be more ambitious, it's a visa spot so we can cast the net wider

It's pretty evident now that there's no depth behind the senior squad. Suppose Sakhi had been injured?

Who's in charge of the Academy now?

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It would be good if we can be more ambitious

Tbh I'd rather hear who the player is before making calls like this. However, if it ends up being Bozanic or Mauk I completely agree.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Tbh I'd rather hear who the player is before making calls like this. However, if it ends up being Bozanic or Mauk I completely agree.

Also depends what we're trying to do. Plug a hole until the end of this season or replace Sakhi until end 2024/25. However, I think the point @belaguttman is making is that it is an opportunity to show some ambition for the future. But behind all of this is that I think we're pretty much last on CFG's list of clubs and IMO we're not going to see a sudden surge in investment right now. The APL fiasco isn't helping either., although I think we can safely say that CFG are not blameless in that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But behind all of this is that I think we're pretty much last on CFG's list of clubs and IMO we're not going to see a sudden surge in investment right now.

Not sure about that imo, I reckon we are ahead of Mumbai City, and CFG aren't going to abandon the club with us being one of the "Branded" Clubs + there is only so much on field investment we can receive with the salary cap.

16 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Oh ffs mb, I've misread that! Yes completely agree @belaguttman. I read that as a pre-complaint about the player potentially being Mauk or Bozanic. Shouldn't post on the forum and work at the same time.

What I mean is that rather than 'plugging a gap' there will be plenty of players from the world pool of DMs that we should look at; this is a visa spot so we aren't confined to Aussie passport holders. We should be looking at players who want to be here for a few seasons, not just a few months.

Mauk would be a great DM stopper, but his distribution in attacking transition doesn't suit what we need.