Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 minutes ago, rass said:

I believe the whole Keogh thing surfaced from Joyce asking about him as he once worked with him. In reality though, I don't think it was ever going to happen.

I reckon that two things will happen. 1. Bruno will sit out his contract unless there's an offer from overseas. 2. We will sign a lesser striker taking O'Halloran's place and wages to give us a focal point up front as we used De Laet last night.

Quite a few contracts are up at the end of this season, including Joyce's, and there'll be a shuffle of the squad as there always is.

Lots of plausible ideas there. I suspect Bruno may well sit out his contract, unless a six month loan abroad can be found. Our only signing will be using the O'Halloran money, if we can find someone. Maybe MacLaren will be a signing for next season. As for Bruno, I can see West Melbourne being an ideal move. His family won't have to move far, and he's a proven star for them. And he's nice and close for me to go and watch him... 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Lots of plausible ideas there. I suspect Bruno may well sit out his contract, unless a six month loan abroad can be found. Our only signing will be using the O'Halloran money, if we can find someone. Maybe MacLaren will be a signing for next season. As for Bruno, I can see West Melbourne being an ideal move. His family won't have to move far, and he's a proven star for them. And he's nice and close for me to go and watch him... 

We can terminate him without his consent. It just means we have to pay the contract out in full. plus he can then go wherever he wants as a free agent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Well that would still be a fkn debacle.. We are equal second on the table without a recognised striker, but have one of the most prolific strikers and marquee player just wasting away in the stands because our wanker coach has had disagreements with him.. Unless Bruno has put away Wazzas Mrs, surely he could have another chance.. We wont win anything with a marquee spot not being used. And then giving this new startup Melbourne team him watching scores bags against us make us a laughing stock once again

Wouldn't be surpised if we didnt replace O Hallaron either

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We can terminate him without his consent. It just means we have to pay the contract out in full. plus he can then go wherever he wants as a free agent.

Well that at least would free up the marquee slot. I guess it's not possible to put a clause in his release agreement that prevents him playing in the A League, or at least for the leading clubs, this season? 

5 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Well that would still be a fkn debacle.. We are equal second on the table without a recognised striker, but have one of the most prolific strikers and marquee player just wasting away in the stands because our wanker coach has had disagreements with him.. Unless Bruno has put away Wazzas Mrs, surely he could have another chance.. We wont win anything with a marquee spot not being used. And then giving this new startup Melbourne team him watching scores bags against us make us a laughing stock once again

Wouldn't be surpised if we didnt replace O Hallaron either

I suspect we were moving him on at the of the season anyway. That may have been the start of the dispute. He's only one player, and we are an established club, currently equal second on points. We will replace him. There's no reason to think his departure will have the same effect as Samson's haircut. West Melbourne will have a crack but are unlikely to be a leading club, but someone like Bruno will help them put bums on seats. And every player wants to put one over on their former club. Nothing to see there. 

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect we were moving him on at the of the season anyway. That may have been the start of the dispute. He's only one player, and we are an established club, currently equal second on points. We will replace him. There's no reason to think his departure will have the same effect as Samson's haircut. West Melbourne will have a crack but are unlikely to be a leading club, but someone like Bruno will help them put bums on seats. And every player wants to put one over on their former club. Nothing to see there. 

I understand this and im with you on that.. but with all this so called money and power the CFG has they should be able to make something happen this transfer window? Terminate his contract pay it out, its a drop in the ocean for them get some1 in straight away? Why not have a red hot crack at the title/qualify for the ACL? Sitting him out/ not moving him on just seems so ridiculous.. play him or terminate him

17 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Well that at least would free up the marquee slot. I guess it's not possible to put a clause in his release agreement that prevents him playing in the A League, or at least for the leading clubs, this season? 

Probably possible but i daresay that'd be for an additional premium. He holds the cards in that respect.

23 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Probably possible but i daresay that'd be for an additional premium. He holds the cards in that respect.

He holds all the cards. I'm not sure that we could even terminate his contract unilaterally. I think that he has to agree on what the severance terms are.

It's alleged in one article that Petrillo is meeting Fornaroli next Wednesday (why it has to wait until then, I think, is that Marwood will be here) and my guess is that that is when an agreement will be discussed and possibly agreed. Marwood will then sign off on it if he agrees.

In the case of Winston Bogarde and Chelsea, Bogarde finally agreed to Chelsea terminating his contract four years into a five-year term, but only if they paid him a weekly sum (enormous, even by today's standards) and he collected his weekly payment for 17 years! He's quoted as saying something like "I can't remember the names of any of the players at Chelsea, or even whether I played any games for them, but I sure as hell remember those lovely girls in the Pay Office where I collected my cheque every Friday for 17 years."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

I understand this and im with you on that.. but with all this so called money and power the CFG has they should be able to make something happen this transfer window? Terminate his contract pay it out, its a drop in the ocean for them get some1 in straight away? Why not have a red hot crack at the title/qualify for the ACL? Sitting him out/ not moving him on just seems so ridiculous.. play him or terminate him

On this I think we agree. Though of course it's always easy to spend other people's money... 

• Like 2

If Marwood is coming for a sit down with Bruno surely theyll put all small talk aside and deal with the issue. If i were Marwood and wanted to keep Bruno how could he not bring up the form and fitness that Luke Brattan is in at the moment after been cast aside and dropped. Im sure Bruno sees this for himself just maybe he's been stubborn. Also noticed last night on the TV that he seems to be looking trimmer, maybe theres still hope.

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

If Marwood is coming for a sit down with Bruno surely theyll put all small talk aside and deal with the issue.

No one really knows the full details of the Bruno/Joyce feud, but you would hope Marwood makes a final attempt to mend the relationship before negotiating a release. Unless it's way past that point.

History says that's unlikely however...

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Wouldn't there be some contractual rule by the FFA as to how many marquees a club may have per season? Wouldn't there be some restriction regarding the amount of money a club could spend?

Theres not, but the 'required to be approved by FFA' clause is there to ensure no funny business goes on as far as circumventing the gap goes etc.

9 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

You're right. Just a vain hope that it doesn't have to end so bitterly that's all.

What's odd about that is no one at the club seems to be too bothered by it. Joyce isn't too phased in his interviews. From interactions people have had with Bruno he doesn't seem really frustrated by it. And the team hasn't been affected by it in the slightest it seems based off our results. If anything it seems on the surface as a whole everyone is quite accepting of the situation where it is. Which makes it more perplexing. 

20 hours ago, n i k o said:

What's odd about that is no one at the club seems to be too bothered by it. Joyce isn't too phased in his interviews. From interactions people have had with Bruno he doesn't seem really frustrated by it. And the team hasn't been affected by it in the slightest it seems based off our results. If anything it seems on the surface as a whole everyone is quite accepting of the situation where it is. Which makes it more perplexing. 

Hopefully we will see some light at the end of the tunnel by the end of this week.

So far there really hasn't been much action at all in the current transfer window. We've lost Caceres and Lesiotis, neither of whom was featuring in the match-day squad, and O'Halloran who looked like he had at least got that far but not much further. None of them are really a big loss when it all boils down.

Baccus has replaced Caceres - no surprise there - and we still have cap room to sign a replacement for O'Halloran, who could be either Australian or a visa player. I hope that the club is pursuing this independent of whatever it is doing with respect to the Fornaroli situation. I've seen quite a few movements of strikers in the lower English leagues, without even looking elsewhere, and I would have thought that CFG ought to be able to find us at least a loanee who would be good for 10 or so goals in the rest of our season. Seems to me we're lacking the sort of predatory player who follows in a shot, pokes in a parry from the goalkeeper, or slides in at the back post to convert a cross.

The Fornaroli stand-off? Words fail me. If the relationship with Bruno is really irretrievably broken, then work out a severance. If not, then play him, even as a sub. But FFS fix it.

• Like 2

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/city-chiefs-ready-to-let-outcast-fornaroli-sit-out-the-season

so the club would rather let him go to waste on the sidelines without playing him or letting him go to the detriment of the team. Really so we can’t target a marquee cause the club too stubborn just to release him so we can move on and find a replacement. Never change Melbourne City this is ludicrous 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/city-chiefs-ready-to-let-outcast-fornaroli-sit-out-the-season

so the club would rather let him go to waste on the sidelines without playing him or letting him go to the detriment of the team. Really so we can’t target a marquee cause the club too stubborn just to release him so we can move on and find a replacement. Never change Melbourne City this is ludicrous 

Just amazing. I do read that though as no-one offered them anywhere near enough the right $ for them to even consider - well that's going to happen now everyone knows we want to get rid of him.

Still, it's just amazing it has got to this. What you would give to know exactly what happened to cause such a mess.

35 minutes ago, rass said:

Just amazing. I do read that though as no-one offered them anywhere near enough the right $ for them to even consider - well that's going to happen now everyone knows we want to get rid of him.

Still, it's just amazing it has got to this. What you would give to know exactly what happened to cause such a mess.

It is quite the silly situation.

In saying that, I wouldnt blow my top until the window is closed; there's every chance this is a large game of chicken with either party trying to scare the other into taking a deal.

Obviously it goes without saying that the longer it goes on the more annoying it is for us as fans too. The season is ticking away and we're still in the race.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Seems like a "no brainer" to just offload him to any club for any price, however smarter people than us here, are running a multi billion dollar organization called CFG. One would suspect they may know what they are doing and for what reasons they are doing it. But then again they could be complete imbeciles and us Einsteins on this forum know everything.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It is quite the silly situation.

In saying that, I wouldnt blow my top until the window is closed; there's every chance this is a large game of chicken with either party trying to scare the other into taking a deal.

Obviously it goes without saying that the longer it goes on the more annoying it is for us as fans too. The season is ticking away and we're still in the race.

You're right BT. So much of what is said publicly by clubs, managers and agents over the silly season of the January transfer window is just endlessly blowing smoke. There's not much truth about, what there is wiil be hard to separate from fiction, with every fart amplified by press and discussion boards. We don't know the real end game, or the real current position of any of the players. We don't know who wants to move, who would move, who will be forced to move, where they will go, how much it will cost or how much players will accept. At present, despite the frustrations, we are like Spanish waiters from Barcelona. We know nothing. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

Seems like a "no brainer" to just offload him to any club for any price, however smarter people than us here, are running a multi billion dollar organization called CFG. One would suspect they may know what they are doing and for what reasons they are doing it. But then again they could be complete imbeciles and us Einsteins on this forum know everything.

...and this is it...

We fans generally think emotionally around the football. These guys are business people and they think foremost with their wallets. Doesn't matter if Bruno is a marquee or his salary is in/outside the cap - they've spent x and want at least y to get some return and/or use for their next player. If they don't get it, they won't sell.

I'd like to think there is some footballing thought around their decision making and it is in their interest to win titles and play attractive football, but unless the AFC rewards well for qualification, there isn't much money (if any - is there actually any prize money?) to be made from winning the league here unfortunately. Takes us back sadly to how important it is for them to make $ on players, which they have on Mooy and Arzani so far.

Edited by rass
continuing on...
  • Like 1

Actually, I don't think that there's anything new here at all. Whether or not it was actually said, it was clear when City squashed the idea of a Keogh trade that they would not release Bruno to any other A-League club. Even a club outside the top six can win the competition from here, as Adelaide proved in whatever season it was that they were dead last at the half-way mark. As it is now, I suspect that they won't transfer him at all, even overseas, in case he's transferred straight back again to an A-League club.

Also it is reported that Marwood is here this week, and that Petrillo is due to meet with Bruno on Wednesday. IMO this week is the key. At the end of it there will be just 10 days to get someone on board, either to replace O'Halloran or Fornaroli or both.

I'm still hopeful and not prepared to write off the situation yet.

27 minutes ago, rass said:

...and this is it...

We fans generally think emotionally around the football. These guys are business people and they think foremost with their wallets. Doesn't matter if Bruno is a marquee or his salary is in/outside the cap - they've spent x and want at least y to get some return and/or use for their next player. If they don't get it, they won't sell.

I'd like to think there is some footballing thought around their decision making and it is in their interest to win titles and play attractive football, but unless the AFC rewards well for qualification, there isn't much money (if any - is there actually any prize money?) to be made from winning the league here unfortunately. Takes us back sadly to how important it is for them to make $ on players, which they have on Mooy and Arzani so far.

Might also be worth noting that if CFG are to replace Bruno with someone of equal or similar market value, it will actually cost them double if we are just 'releasing' him.
Ie say 700k to pay out Bruno's contact, + another 700k to sign a replacement for half a season.

Now maybe it is a drop in the ocean to CFG, but tbh I'm not in the habit of telling other people how to spend their money either. Its certainly not a drop in the ocean to most people and Australian football clubs in general. I'd hope CFG recognise the money they are making out of the club in youth transfers and even mitigating the loss of fans jumping off might sway them to make that sort of 'investment', but again, they have to weigh that up along with whether their prepared to let their striker just walk to a direct rival for free as well.

Keeping Bruno to his contract and foregoing a new striker maintains the gap to those in front, but does the alternative make the gap closer or even wider? 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rass said:

...and this is it...

Wikipedia on Prize Money in the Champions League.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Champions_League

In the A-League...AFAIK there is not yet any prize money involved. It was talked about in 2016 as part of the new broadcast deal coming into force, but like many things FFA I haven't seen anything since. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-grand-final-2016-ffa-confirms-plans-for-prize-money-with-new-broadcast-deal-in-2017-20160426-gofhly.html

• Like 1

Simon Pearce ( City Chairman ) - "We are five years into our Melbourne City journey. When we celebrate our 10th anniversary, I promise you, just like Manchester City, we will have already hit a critical point in our development where the hard and unwavering work of these initial seasons will pay ongoing dividends.''

We Arnt going to go close without a striker. I’m going to hope this is an article that is written with some artististic interpretation of comments from the club.

surely the club issnt that stupid. Or even Joyce for that matter, it’s his job on the line here

If we look at the other side of the coin, the problem may be Bruno. He could quit simply stick his two fingers up at Joyce and say, he does not want to be sold or terminate his contract. No one knows what the problem is and Bruno could end up calling Joyce out by saying play me or put me in the stand because I am going nowhere and you will not be getting my salary to buy a replacement.

What I am saying it has to be a two way agreement for Bruno to leave the club. The true reason for Bruno not playing or Joyce not playing Bruno may never come to light as players and staff have confidentiality clause inserted into there contracts.

34 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Davutovic reporting that we now targeting Taggart 

21 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Link the tweet bruh

image.png.1b1a56a25b01991635695affc383fda3.png

Keogh, Nabbout, MacLaren, Taggart...think of another striker and add him to the media list. I don't think anyone outside the club knows what is going on. Just more media speculation.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic