Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

TBH once again the signings have puzzled me. 

I would have thought you’d build your team around the marquee but we seem to have filled the key positions of #10 and holding midfielder (Wazza loves thst one) already. 

Bit puzzled.

I think we all are. I'm never quite sure who is actually calling the shots on signings - is it Warren Joyce, Michael Petrillo, or Brian Marwood?

With a lot of teams around the world the manger does not always identify a particular player and gets him. With teams to day the manager identifies a position he needs to fill. The scouts submit a list of players within their transfer budget. Then most clubs have a committee to oversee the transfers they normally include; the head scout, the chief executive and director of recruitment. The club owner and manager may or may not sit on the committee. The outcome is usually the manager is given a choice of players selected by the committee. Long gone are the days when the manager said I want him. 

So may be correct all three may be calling the shots and are struggling to agree on which player or which positions needs filled.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

We can forget about Ersan Gulum. He’s going to be joining Whittlesea United next season either as a coach or player. (They play in State 2, close to promotion currently)

Youre joking right? Either hes getting paid with Mafia money or hes got some sort of career ending injury

3 hours ago, haz said:

Youre joking right? Either hes getting paid with Mafia money or hes got some sort of career ending injury

NPL is full of that, but I reckon it’s some kind of business agreement with a local property developer. Especially if it’s in whittlesea.

part time work, probably get close the same amount he is getting as a pro footballer. Who wouldn’t?

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

NPL is full of that, but I reckon it’s some kind of business agreement with a local property developer. Especially if it’s in whittlesea.

part time work, probably get close the same amount he is getting as a pro footballer. Who wouldn’t?

That, and he’s trying to leave/bring his legacy to the club. 

7 hours ago, Dylan said:

Money laundering haven for those with money.

Players on massive money, more than players in the A-League which explains football in Oz. 

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

I know everything will come in due course (as it always does) but fuck I wish the club would announce a signing just to give us something to talk about...

Last year the club announced Schenkeveld on 21st August, and Budzinski on 18th September. So we're almost a week into that 4-week period where we can expect visa player announcements - if there are going to be any more after O'Halloran.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Last year the club announced Schenkeveld on 21st August, and Budzinski on 18th September. So we're almost a week into that 4-week period where we can expect visa player announcements - if there are going to be any more after O'Halloran.

Warren Joyce: "There's still plenty of time between now and October, obviously we've got other places left on the roster to add to the overall strength of the squad..."

Again, I understand and trust the club to be doing their due diligence to make sure we get the right fit and the right player at the right price, it's just so hard to practice patience during an offseason.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Warren Joyce: "There's still plenty of time between now and October, obviously we've got other places left on the roster to add to the overall strength of the squad..."

Again, I understand and trust the club to be doing their due diligence to make sure we get the right fit and the right player at the right price, it's just so hard to practice patience during an offseason.

In Wazza we trust. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ABC123 said:

Lol.

In all honesty I don’t know why we would be chasing a visa CB, when we had a perfectly fine one in Jacobson. 

Jacobsen is very injury prone and when he wasn't playing last season he was missed immensely. As for our current squad, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Delbridge isn't great

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ABC123 said:

This thread is going to explode when Victory announce there striker under the cap and we still haven’t announced anyone els...

Only one that comes to mind that would irk me is Ikonomidis as I'm certain that we were after him. But then is he someone that would be a suprise to be under the cap? 

Give us something. Are we talking visa or Australian? 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Only one that comes to mind that would irk me is Ikonomidis as I'm certain that we were after him. But then is he someone that would be a suprise to be under the cap? 

Give us something. Are we talking visa or Australian? 

As it stands Victory have 3 VISAs (Niedermeier, Honda, Barbarouses). Troisi is a marquee, and I got no idea if Honda is a Cahill Marquee (is that even a rule?)  or a regular marquee.

So I would assume its a VISA. Only Aussies would be Macdonald, Juric (loan), Djite, Duke(?) There isnt really much of a list

8 minutes ago, haz said:

As it stands Victory have 3 VISAs (Niedermeier, Honda, Barbarouses). Troisi is a marquee, and I got no idea if Honda is a Cahill Marquee (is that even a rule?)  or a regular marquee.

So I would assume its a VISA. Only Aussies would be Macdonald, Juric (loan), Djite, Duke(?) There isnt really much of a list

Yeh that's why I suggested Ikonomidis as the player, if he's Australian of course. If this is true and it is a visa it would have to be someone known to cause a stir on here. The again it doesn't take much on this forum. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh that's why I suggested Ikonomidis as the player, if he's Australian of course. If this is true and it is a visa it would have to be someone known to cause a stir on here. The again it doesn't take much on this forum. 

Oh I forgot to add to that list, Nelly Yoa

• Like 1

The problem with Joyce saying there is plenty of time between now and October is that there is not. With his obsession with super-fitness, he won't play anyone unless they meet that strict measure, and they likely won't reach it in the time left between now and the beginning of the season.

1 hour ago, haz said:

IMO Honda is a Guest Marquee a la Cahill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

There's a gun 15 year old that has the potential to make CFG some money.

It's funny but true.

Interestingly Marwood said in April that Arzani was staying another season for his own good. Oh how that changed when $$$$$ could be made after the world cup.

'Marwood has also committed Australian wonderkind Daniel Arzani to staying in the A-League for another season, declaring it the best place for his development.'

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/warren-joyce-backed-to-continue-at-city

nothing to see here, move along.

• jw1739 pinned this topic