Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

...and, as I read it, can be non-Australian although presumably would still be classed as a visa player.

Firstly is Tasuku Sekiya Australian??

It all comes down to the clubs decision making. If we sign Ikon (plus the youth we have) I wouldnt waste a spot on LW, where CB seems the most likely for one. Hence we would have a spot free. Now it comes down to accounting, squad needs and player personal preference.

1. Do we max out our cap on our 4th VISA so we can sign the best NPL (VISA?) player outside of it?

2. Where would we need a NPL player? He would just make it on the bench

3. Will the player be happy to stop being the #1 player at his club, to be a bench warmer at a HAL club? Salary would be a whole other issue. If I was a 25+ year old playing NPL, I would think I would have a regular fulltime job ($30k-$60k) plus getting paid another $10k-$20k by the club. If I go join a HAL club, I would need to leave my job and I could be dropped after a season.

Edited by haz

13 hours ago, haz said:

Firstly is Tasuku Sekiya Australian??

It all comes down to the clubs decision making. If we sign Ikon (plus the youth we have) I wouldnt waste a spot on LW, where CB seems the most likely for one. Hence we would have a spot free. Now it comes down to accounting, squad needs and player personal preference.

1. Do we max out our cap on our 4th VISA so we can sign the best NPL (VISA?) player outside of it?

2. Where would we need a NPL player? He would just make it on the bench

3. Will the player be happy to stop being the #1 player at his club, to be a bench warmer at a HAL club? Salary would be a whole other issue. If I was a 25+ year old playing NPL, I would think I would have a regular fulltime job ($30k-$60k) plus getting paid another $10k-$20k by the club. If I go join a HAL club, I would need to leave my job and I could be dropped after a season.

He's not got a great job, just part time washing dishes at Sydney Opera House, and he fancies a crack at the A League. Depends who else we bring in, but may have a spare visa, and he would probably count as a mature age rookie. Back up striker would be useful, though potentially blocks the path for youngsters in that position. 

I would be absolutely disgusted if we took him as a visa player

We have 400000 scouts around the world and we pick some guy cause he scored twice in FFA Cup. Sounds incredibly harsh but if he is playing Npl here there is every chance he isn't good enough 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, neio said:

We have 400000 scouts around the world and we pick some guy cause he scored twice in FFA Cup. Sounds incredibly harsh but if he is playing Npl here there is every chance he isn't good enough 

Yes agree with all that but at the same time you'd like to think atleast one of those scouts would be all over the NPL leagues. 

But I do honestly think none of our potential new recruits will come from any NPL club.  

2 hours ago, neio said:

And I'll be disgusted if we don't use our full quota of five visa players. Given that we could pick this guy up probably close to the minimum wage outside the cap I'd also be disgusted if we weren't at least looking at him. 

You'll never pick up a bargain if you don't go looking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

And I'll be disgusted if we don't use our full quota of five visa players. Given that we could pick this guy up probably close to the minimum wage outside the cap I'd also be disgusted if we weren't at least looking at him. 

We have no reason to believe that we won't use all our visa spots this season

I'm not doubting it was an impressive performance last night. But I also remember jai Ingham having a couple of similar performances in FFA Cup. Now imagine if someone like him was a visa player. The backlash would be huge and rightly so. 

I have no real issue with giving an aussie npl player a crack at minimum wage if it fits a need, but not as a visa 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Visa player doesn't necessarily imply quality 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Reading this https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/new-boys-block-city-v-newcastle I'm not convinced that we're going to add more than a couple of players from outside the existing players at the club. Looks to me to be very likely that a couple of our youngsters will be added to the seniors.

Tbh i've got absolutely no idea how you've deduced that from that article whatsoever.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Sydney just announced another HUGE signing.

We are done, this club is FINISHED!!!!! :((((((((((((((((

I'm sarcastic here with a hint of truth.

Well guys at least we are on track with our priority targets; 

1. We are working hard on our return of investment, rush the youth through and sell them off
  2. Hopefully we can get some transfer money when Bouzanis leaves, this then to be invested in our facilities for tax reasons
  3. For 2nd season in a row we seem to assemble a top 4 squad whilst staying well within the salary cap levels
  4. We are almost recovered from the Cahill debacle, I still believe he cost us money   
  • Haha 1

Very ambitious club we are while Sydney have Ninkovic and De Jong as marquees. And victory sign Honda.

We Sign Rostyn Griffiths in our midfield and playing Caceres and McGree at 10 this is squad goals 🙄🙄.  With Wales as our the winger. Probably play Malik at CB and not fill the other 2 visa spots and marquee 

Wonder what former youth international no name spud we get Budzinski material.

I don’t see us making another signing all these rumours aren’t true by the sounds of it so another top 4 at best team with no ambition to contend for the top 2.

CFG ie Man City  will have signed Atkinson, Najjarine by the end of the season and they will be happy. 

Edited by CityBoyz

On 8/19/2018 at 9:28 AM, jw1739 said:

Not surprisingly, Birighitti was dropped for last night's NAC Breda match, which they won 3-0. He was on the bench, and could be there some time I would think.

Man city seem to have recalled their keeper from loan so he might be starting again/wonder if that changes anything if he was coming down 

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Very ambitious club we are while Sydney have Ninkovic and De Jong as marquees. And victory sign Honda.

We Sign Rostyn Griffiths in our midfield and playing Caceres and McGree at 10 this is squad goals 🙄🙄.

Wonder what former youth international no name spud we get Budzinski material.

McGree is a class above all these names, we need more of those. Just a shame we seem to be playing him as a winger.

McGree is a awesome signing but he’s the only ambitious signing of the off season.

Out of our recruits which are A Graders 

Riley McGree ✅

Michael O’Halloran - Unknown 

Anthony Caceres ❌

Lachlan Wales ❌

Rostyn Griffiths ⛔️ 50/50 

We have signed 5 players while we have had 11 departures and haven’t replaced them. 

I don't think that it's panic stations quite yet.

Last off-season we announced the signings of our two new visa players Schenkeveld on 21st August and Budzinski on 18th September. Indications were that the latter was no higher on our shopping list than second, and possibly lower than that. It was reported that there was a delay in granting him a visa.

So we're now "in the zone" for visa signings if we're looking to make any. I'm not aware of any visa rumours so far. In terms of other rumours, IIRC these are McGowan, Ikonomidis and Birighitti.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that it's panic stations quite yet.

Last off-season we announced the signings of our two new visa players Schenkeveld on 21st August and Budzinski on 18th September. Indications were that the latter was no higher on our shopping list than second, and possibly lower than that. It was reported that there was a delay in granting him a visa.

So we're now "in the zone" for visa signings if we're looking to make any. I'm not aware of any visa rumours so far. In terms of other rumours, IIRC these are McGowan, Ikonomidis and Birighitti.

Dylan McGowan rumour when flat weeks ago just a rumour from a twitter page no truth in it. 

So here we go again. Another team makes a signing and we're all crying about how shit our club is.

Do people realise that:

. There's 10 teams in the comp. 

. Believe it or not, the other 9 teams are allowed to make visa signings, independent of what we do. 

. The other 9 teams are allowed to be ambitious, not just us.

. We actually are not allowed to sign the 11 best international players in the world, while the rest of the comp must play local npl hacks.

. Sydney signing this dude does NOT actually mean we only care about youth.

. There's still 2 months before the fkn season actually starts.

Edited by rass
Still ranting.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, rass said:

So here we go again. Another team makes a signing and we're all crying about how shit our club is.

Do people realise that:

. There's 10 teams in the comp. 

. Believe it or not, the other 9 teams are allowed to make visa signings, independent of what we do. 

. The other 9 teams are allowed to be ambitious, not just us.

. We actually are not allowed to sign the 11 best international players in the world, while the rest of the comp must play local npl hacks.

. Sydney signing this dude does NOT actually mean we only care about youth.

. There's still 2 months before the fkn season actually starts.

Yeah but the skys falling in according to all the posters above! ^^^

I reckon we have a very solid 11 and subs so far without adding the last 2-3 players including what should be a marque and another visa, which should hypothetically improve the squad even further...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Superfluous

adjective

1. being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
  2. unnecessary or needless.
  3. Obsolete. possessing or spending more than enough or necessary; extravagant.

Well I have just increased my vocabulary

--------------------------------------------------

Any this has been a strange rumour. I assume something happened behind the scenes, since I thought that Bouzanis was a good #1 keeper for us. I doubt Birighitti would come here as a #2 so it must be that Bouzanis is/made to leave. Best case scenario though is that Galekovic leaves (who I think is on decent $$) and we have Bouzanis and Birighitti fighting over the number #1 spot. IMO that would easily be the best GK pairing in the league.

Edited by haz

• jw1739 pinned this topic