Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ruben Cousillas?

He and Brian Kidd are Pelligrini's two Assistant Managers at ManC.

You think a coach of Cousillas calibar is going to play second fiddle to JVS? lol

Viera went to NYC and someone will follow suit at MCFC

38 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Also, summary of the player movements reported by the article @Murfy1 posted above:

Nick Fitzgerald - has been offered a new deal and is expected to sign

Bruce Kamau - will join Melbourne City next season

Michael Zullo - out of contract and yet to be offered a new deal

Anthony Caceres - loan deal from Manchester City has expired and is under review by the FFA

Ben Garuccio - being courted by Adelaide 

Assistant coach - a foreign assistant with English Premier League experience set to be drafted in

I'd be disappointed to lose Zullo, i think that he'll be much improved with a proper pre-season behind him

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ruben Cousillas?

He and Brian Kidd are Pelligrini's two Assistant Managers at ManC.

Cousillas has worked with Pellegrini since Villarreal days, he's more likely to follow him into his next job. Alternatively it could mean that we are likely to get Pellegrini but he has said that he wants to stay in Europe

9 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

I can confirm the following:

they have offered Fornaroli 800k. He has not accepted or rejected this.

if Mooy is sold then JVS is gone. Part of the sale will cover his pay out.

There is an assistant coming from Manchester (name not known) 

things will unfold in the next 3 weeks.

To add to this i can confirm their will be a number of different player and coach signings before the beginning of next season

• Like 2

Slightly late to the party on this as the topic has somewhat moved on since these comments were being made (I haven't really been able to get on the forum in the last 48 hours). I won't add or take anything from the various comments about the FFA and what they do or don't want and will or won't do as you know that stuff far better than I.

What I will say is that I'd be very surprised if CFG sold up in Melbourne or even reduced their ownership percentage because they weren't getting their way. If they do that, it's a tacit admission that they aren't capable of building a winning side unless they throw unlimited money at it, which is something they've been trying to demonstrate that they can do ever since UEFA threw up FFP to put the handbrake on Manchester City's expansion. Simply casting the team aside wouldn't be viable either, as it would give the same impression. Might they threaten FFA with putting less interest in Melbourne City? Possibly. Perhaps they might even follow through, for a short time, although personally I don't see it. I can't see them ever letting up in their pursuit of silverware in Australia though. The whole point of CFG is to produce exciting, winning teams around the world.

• Like 1

The whole point  of any team management is to produce exciting winning teams.

The difference is the end result. At this point after 2 seasons CFG have failed the winning aspect. And unless they can drastically change their time frame on doing things it's going to be another season of missed opportunities. 

It's nearly 10am so I'm still hopeful. 

Melbourne City squad (1 assumption: Mooy's gone):

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/17 RE-SIGNED
1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17 SIGNED FOR 16-17

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19. SIGNED FOR 16-17
22                    Jack Clisby                  31/5/18. SIGNED FOR 16-17

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18. SIGNED FOR 16-17
11                    Michael Zullo                31/5/16. ?

?                     Manny Muscat              31/5/18

Midfielders.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18. SIGNED FOR 16-17
19                    Ben Garuccio               31/5/17. SIGNED FOR 16-17 (rumoured to leave)
25                    Jacob Melling               31/5/18. SIGNED FOR 16-17 (rumoured to leave)

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18. SIGNED FOR 16-17
29                    Anthony Caceres         31/5/16   ?

Forwards.
28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17. SIGNED FOR 16-17 (rumoured to leave)

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17. SIGNED FOR 16-17

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17. SIGNED FOR 16-17

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)        31/5/17. SIGNED FOR 16-17
27                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/16. ?

?                      Bruce Kamau                 31/5/19 SIGNED                    

Crucially, Melbourne City has 3 players uncontracted for next season:

- Michael Zullo

- Anthony Caceres

- Nick Fitzgerald

Squad spots filled: 17 of 23 (or 26)

Visa spots filled: 3 of 5

Marquee spots filled: 1 of 2

The squad ATM for next season:

Novillo                           Fornaroli                             Kamau

?                           Caceres

Malik

Zullo                                ?                                      Chapman                     Franjic  

Sorensen

BENCH: Bouzanis, Muscat, Retre, Fitzgerald, Gameiro

Some observations:

- Overall, somewhat to my surprise the squad looks pretty good, with good players in most positions

- Caceres, Zullo and Fitzgerald must be re-signed

- An experienced central defender is a must, and there's a large Aaon Mooy-shaped hole in midfield. With good recruiting, the 2 Visa spots could fill those 2 starting spots

- The team has next to no depth: 1 defender (Clisby), 1 midfielder (Retre), 2 attackers (Fitzgerald, Gameiro). Good Australian players are needed to provide depth 

Here's a list of Australian players coming of contract:

- Brett Holman, 32, midfielder (Emirates Club [UAE])

- Steven Lustica, 25, midfielder (uncontracted)

- James Holland, 26, midfielder (MSV Duisburg [2. Bundesliga])

- Neil Kilkenny, 30, midfielder (Preston North End [Championship])

- Zac Anderson, 25, central defender (Sydney FC)

- Dylan McGowan, 24, central defender (Adelaide United)

- Chris Naumoff, 20, midfielder (Sydney FC)

- Mitchell Oxborrow, 21, midfielder (Perth Glory)

And there's next to no good Australian strikers/attackers are available this summer transfer window. The best players (e.g. Holman, Holland) probably can't be signed to sit on the bench either. So there's only a rather motley mix of Australian players that can be signed before next season.

Overall, next season's squad looks pretty decent. If the club can re-sign Caceres and Zullo, and re-sign Fornaroli as a marquee, as well as sign up 2 more starting Visa players (1 marquee, 1 inside the cap), then Melbourne City will have arguably the best starting lineup in the league. And then its a matter of signing up some good Australian depth, while also not sustaining multiple long term injuries (like we had this season with Gameiro, Chapman, Novillo, Zullo and Franjic. One or two is normal and not an issue, and I reckon with the new medical/physical department that's what next season will likely have) and there'll be zero excuses about the squad not being good enough to win silverware next season.

First stop, announce Kamau, and announce new contracts for Fornaroli, Zullo and Caceres..

Edited by Murfy1

Van 't Schip talks City ins, outs

By AAP

22 minutes ago

After establishing Melbourne City as an A-League force this season, John van 't Schip will be busy during the break in efforts to take the club the next step.

The Dutchman lands back in the Netherlands on Thursday for a European summer that's part rest, part business and part scouting.

What he leaves back in Australia is a club that finally has an identity.

Melbourne Heart's transition to Melbourne City was complete this year when City become synonymous with free-flowing attacking football, scoring the most goals ever in an A-League campaign.

After a fortnight digesting the disappointment of another semi-final exit, van 't Schip said he was proud of the progression.

"Everybody is wary of Melbourne City now and that's important. It's good," he told AAP.

"Now fans are unhappy if we don't win or get to the grand final. That says a lot about the change."

Van 't Schip's task is building a squad to go one match further next season.

City are in flux, with a string of players already departed and several possibly to follow.

Club captain Patrick Kisnorbo leads the confirmed outs, including Alex Wilkinson, Aaron Hughes, Wade Dekker and Marc Marino.

Out-of-contract pair Michael Zullo and Nick Fitzgerald are considering new deals to stay on but are yet to sign.

The three biggest names - golden boot winner Bruno Fornaroli, Socceroo Aaron Mooy and French winger Harry Novillo - are contracted but uncertain.

Fornaroli, holidaying in his native Uruguay, will take his time and test the wind before deciding on an offer to become the club's international marquee.

Van 't Schip said he left the marksman with a strong case to stay.

"We want to keep Bruno. He's been great for the club, for the fans," he said.

"But it's also professional sport. Players maybe get other offers. I'm preparing my team that he's going to be around."

He admitted Mooy's case is slightly different, with the Socceroos midfielder a likely loss to the club given strong demand.

Mooy is understood to have offers from the Middle East and Europe and will decide after Socceroos' matches with England and Greece over the next month.

Novillo declared his homesickness last week, and is also likely to leave should interest from France turn into a concrete offer.

"I have (Novillo) in my mind to be part of the team. If not we'll work hard to get players that are good," van 't Schip said.

"He expressed his feelings and we'll see what happens."

Through the City Football Group, the club has the A-League's biggest scouting operation in action, considering talents far and wide but their first signings are likely to be A-League performers.

City are at the front of the queue to pick up Anthony Caceres, who turned out for the club on loan from parent club Manchester City this season.

Van 't Schip confirmed ex-Brisbane Roar man Luke Brattan was on his shopping list, despite him not playing a senior game since leaving Roar in October last year.

"We're interested in a lot of players who are, first of all, quality players and that have an Australian passport. Luke is one of them," he said.

City also need a captain after Kisnorbo's departure, with the Dutchman suggesting the next wearer of City's armband was already at the club.

Finally, on his own situation, van 't Schip said there was no doubt he would continue as head coach next season, saying he and CFG were "happy to continue with each other".

Van 't Schip, who turned out 41 times for the Netherlands, has one regret for his European summer; he can't cheer on the Oranje in the European Championships after they failed to qualify.

"I can watch the Euros in the Netherlands, but not see them. It's a big difference," he laughed.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/05/05/14/30/van-t-schip-talks-city-ins-outs

JVS: "Now fans are unhappy if we don't win or get to the grand final. That says a lot about the change."

Fuck off cunt, I like many others were always unhappy not winning or making the grand final. Not all of us have such low expectations like yourself.  

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

▪ After a fortnight digesting the disappointment of another semi-final exit, van 't Schip said he was proud of the progression. (What Progression???)

▪ "Now fans are unhappy if we don't win or get to the grand final. That says a lot about the change."

▪ The three biggest names - golden boot winner Bruno Fornaroli, Socceroo Aaron Mooy and French winger Harry Novillo - are contracted but uncertain.

▪ Fornaroli, holidaying in his native Uruguay, will take his time and test the wind before deciding on an offer to become the club's international marquee

▪ Mooy is understood to have offers from the Middle East and Europe and will decide after Socceroos' matches with England and Greece over the next month.

▪ Novillo declared his homesickness last week, and is also likely to leave should interest from France turn into a concrete offer.

▪ "We're interested in a lot of players who are, first of all, quality players and that have an Australian passport. Luke (brattan) is one of them," he said

▪ Finally, on his own situation, van 't Schip said there was no doubt he would continue as head coach next season, saying he and CFG were "happy to continue with each other".

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/05/05/14/30/van-t-schip-talks-city-ins-outs

Key Points

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

JVS: "Now fans are unhappy if we don't win or get to the grand final. That says a lot about the change."

Fuck off cunt, I like many others were always unhappy not winning or making the grand final. Not all of us have such low expectations like yourself.  

Was thinking the exact same thing. Shows he lacks the drive and desire needed to be the best and thinks he shares that with the fans as well. 

• Like 1

After season 1 of Heart, it was clear we were miles away from winning anything, then that feeling was compounded when JA was signed (shudder).

The expectation changing was a no brainer based on how well resourced we are and was heightened given that we had arguably the best squad in the league.   

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Seriously what an absolute cunt. This guy has shown this club nothing but disrespect but for some reason the supporters have treated him like a god. We have ourselves to blame i suppose.

Worst part about it is, you just know he is going to get a set up better than all the clubs combined and win silverware so the "where are the jvs haters now?" crowd will making out as if they were right about him

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Seriously what an absolute cunt. This guy has shown this club nothing but disrespect but for some reason the supporters have treated him like a god. We have ourselves to blame i suppose.

Worst part about it is, you just know he is going to get a set up better than all the clubs combined and win silverware so the "where are the jvs haters now?" crowd will making out as if they were right about him

Oh, fair go now! This forum has started to blame JvS for everything, and that's manifestly unfair. It wasn't only van 't Schip who set that early objective of "making finals." When that all started the spruiker for the club was Munn, with support from Didulica, and that "making finals" talk was the club mantra. Since the takeover, both Munn and Didulica have been almost completely muzzled, and van 't Schip has been the voice of the club. It's hardly fair to blame him for the public face of the club at the time Munn and Didulica were doing all the talking.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's hardly fair to blame him for the public face of the club at the time Munn and Didulica were doing all the talking.

Well, I would have to strongly disagree with you there. He was/is just as much to blame as anyone.

Saw a Newcastle United ( UK) article mentioning 2 players being released: Sylvain Marveaux and Gabriel Obertan. Marveaux a bit injury prone but a quality playmaker/inside winger, and Obertan a big, ridiculously quick winger- who is inconsistent but would be pretty darn good in the A- league I think. Doubt Obertan would come here but Marveaux might be an option as a visa player ( non- marquee)

2 hours ago, tommac said:

Saw a Newcastle United ( UK) article mentioning 2 players being released: Sylvain Marveaux and Gabriel Obertan. Marveaux a bit injury prone but a quality playmaker/inside winger, and Obertan a big, ridiculously quick winger- who is inconsistent but would be pretty darn good in the A- league I think. Doubt Obertan would come here but Marveaux might be an option as a visa player ( non- marquee)

They'll both go back to France, no chance they'll come here. 

2 hours ago, tommac said:

Obertan is the French Dugandzic.

51 minutes ago, haz said:

Would love us to use spend a small bit to get another striker like Shane Long to complement Bruno... high press all day long!

Shane Long played quite well this year for saints. Saint paid 12 million pound for him. No chance at all!

For finding a partner for Bruno, I would like Lee Dong-Gook. Although he is 35, but a proven lethal striker and contract expired in June according to transfermarket, injury record is good, scored double figure in past five season in k-league. 

7 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Bruno scored 27 goals as a lone striker this season. Why does he need a partner? (I'm aware some of those were with Novillo as a second striker but mostly he was the lone forward)

This is so that we can change our formation as when we need it. It is evident this season where other clubs have managed to contain him shut him out completely by cutting Mooy's supply etc. So another striker/attacking midfielder will be good.

• Like 2

He needs service otherwise he will never be successful. You all seen how angry and frustrated he got when there was no Novillo or Mooy supporting his runs. A sticker is always relying on his team mates to read the play.   The most important move for the club will be to find another or two of Mooy, Novillo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

He is contracted for next season. He can't go to another A League team.

This. Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy are all contracted for next season, and Mooy for the season after that. None of them are going anywhere without City's blessing.

• jw1739 pinned this topic