Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

gotta disagree with you a touch there.  most of their players were pretty decent, just they played a shite counter attacking long ball style - something that made their lead striker look a mile better than the rest of the playing squad.

Thwaite, Djubic, Zadokovich, Maclaren and Garcia all can play a bit (even if a few of them are a pack of dogs) and would make it into most teams starting 11 (or very close to doing so)..

Yeah I was exaggerating for the theatre, but Maclaren was on the bench so doesn't count (in terms of the XI) and whilst I'd like Big Dino with me in a "blue" I don't think he's a classy footballer (just a no nonsense defender).  A few of the others might be able to play, but it was far from obvious watching matches that that was the case.  

Anyone see Perth play last year? high Position in the league based on a lethal striker and easily the best keeper in the league, with 9 muppets making up the numbers. 

Once more- this doesnt come down to the one or two good players single-handedly winning them games It is down the the "9 muppets who make up the numbers" knowing what their job is, being able to effectively do it and acting as part of a working unit. 

It comes down to the coach effectively using squad players.

• Like 1

Sydney have signed Alex Mullen as their mature-age rookie under the new FFA rules. I'd say they are the first club to do so.

Should we be looking to take advantage of this opportunity and, if so, does anyone have any nominations?

surely that Lujic guy who scores goals for fun at south melbourne is worth a shout if we were going to use it.

apparently he's on 3k a week at south and still has a day job, big reason why he turned down newcastle 

Maybe, but it would be something like: he only gets paid during the season, and that $3k amount is a week that he has played a game, picking up a match bonus, and scored a couple of goals, and picked up a couple of goal bonuses.

I very much doubt anyone is paid 3 figures a year by a NPL club, but it still can be quite lucrative depending on what day job these players have.

Reading this guys comments in a recent article, he states that the money in the NPL isn't enough to live off, so the bloke probably makes like 50-60k max from South. His day job is a school teacher, at his age probably like 50-60k again. In the article he also seems to make it clear that he wants to play in the A-League and be a professional footballer.

Being part of the 'big 3' (Sydney, Visitors, us; yes I just invented this term), you'd think we could make him a decent offer since the salary is outside the cap. I reckon if you threw $100k at him, he'd happily sign. Especially since we are Melbourne based, much better than moving to Newcastle. You also have to think our facilities would convince him, at 25 he could come on to the scene for a year or two, smash it, and be on his way to Europe, or at least a lucrative contract in Asia.

The only reason I can see him having rejected Newcastle is that they offered him the minimum, and probably on a 1 year deal given their situation. To put his teacher career on hold, move to some bumpkin town, leave his nice little extra income at South, all to take a pay cut on a 1 year deal hoping he doesn't get injured and it all works out, can't really blame him for rejecting them.

Maybe even something like $80k would get the bloke on board with us, I find it hard to believe he would reject the chance of a professional career if we make him a decent offer like that, again especially because we are Melbourne based and have top notch facilities which will allow him to develop further.

The question is, do we want to throw $80-100k at him? Obviously it doesn't matter for us supporters, but looking at it from the club's perspective. I know I'm the first on here to stress that we don't have unlimited money and still have a budget to adhere to etc, but by all accounts this is the best player in the country outside the A-league, and the chance to get an advantage outside the cap is a big deal. On the other hand, there have been plenty of examples of blokes like him who can smash it at state league level but the step up to the A-League is too huge and they struggle in the A-League. But I think it's worth the risk none the less.

Surely the club is having or has had a look and given it serious consideration.

• Like 1

Maybe, but it would be something like: he only gets paid during the season, and that $3k amount is a week that he has played a game, picking up a match bonus, and scored a couple of goals, and picked up a couple of goal bonuses.

I very much doubt anyone is paid 3 figures a year by a NPL club, but it still can be quite lucrative depending on what day job these players have.

Reading this guys comments in a recent article, he states that the money in the NPL isn't enough to live off, so the bloke probably makes like 50-60k max from South. His day job is a school teacher, at his age probably like 50-60k again. In the article he also seems to make it clear that he wants to play in the A-League and be a professional footballer.

Being part of the 'big 3' (Sydney, Visitors, us; yes I just invented this term), you'd think we could make him a decent offer since the salary is outside the cap. I reckon if you threw $100k at him, he'd happily sign. Especially since we are Melbourne based, much better than moving to Newcastle. You also have to think our facilities would convince him, at 25 he could come on to the scene for a year or two, smash it, and be on his way to Europe, or at least a lucrative contract in Asia.

The only reason I can see him having rejected Newcastle is that they offered him the minimum, and probably on a 1 year deal given their situation. To put his teacher career on hold, move to some bumpkin town, leave his nice little extra income at South, all to take a pay cut on a 1 year deal hoping he doesn't get injured and it all works out, can't really blame him for rejecting them.

Maybe even something like $80k would get the bloke on board with us, I find it hard to believe he would reject the chance of a professional career if we make him a decent offer like that, again especially because we are Melbourne based and have top notch facilities which will allow him to develop further.

The question is, do we want to throw $80-100k at him? Obviously it doesn't matter for us supporters, but looking at it from the club's perspective. I know I'm the first on here to stress that we don't have unlimited money and still have a budget to adhere to etc, but by all accounts this is the best player in the country outside the A-league, and the chance to get an advantage outside the cap is a big deal. On the other hand, there have been plenty of examples of blokes like him who can smash it at state league level but the step up to the A-League is too huge and they struggle in the A-League. But I think it's worth the risk none the less.

Surely the club is having or has had a look and given it serious consideration.

It sounds great and I think more creative signings are a must for this club going forward, which is exactly why we won't sign him.

More like 70-80k for his day job. 

I feel he would be very happy on his current wage/current South wage. 120k plus is a very healthy way to live.

Rather than making 50-60k, sitting on the bench every week/playing 10-15 mins a week. We would not pay more than that for a player who plays in the NPL-regardless of how good he is. He needs to show he can match it in the big league first, then go on the big bucks. 

IMO I think he would make a solid squad player but would not make a huge impact.

IMO I think he would make a solid squad player but would not make a huge impact.

there's no evidence that'd be the case and given his feats in the NPL/VPL, there's no saying what he might be able to achieve in the A-League. 

surely we've got to give it a crack though

The advantage we have over Newcastle is that we're based in his home town so he won't have to move.

We also play during the NPL off season and then during our off season we can always loan him out to South and if the guy chooses to work as a teacher whilst on loan (for a term or two), then by all means - it's not like he's going to get injured picking up a whiteboard marker!

But anyway, he's injured and we already have Gameiro; we don't need two strikers with a bad knee.

Still no striker 

But anyway, he's injured and we already have Gameiro; we don't need two strikers with a bad knee.

Surely JvS can see that we don't have enough strike power up front? We went into last season with no fullbacks, and we're going into this one without enough options up front.

Surely JvS can see that we don't have enough strike power up front? We went into last season with no fullbacks, and we're going into this one without enough options up front.

not much different to last season tho. We prob have more really.

14 we had Williams, Marino, Brown and Kennedy

15 we have Fornaroli, Williams, Gameiro, Brown, Dekker and Marino.

it looks ordinary at the minute given our 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice strikers are injured, and the number one choice is untried at the level.

The point I was making is that Lujic has an injured knee and Gameiro is recovering from an ACL, i.e. we don't need two strikers with a bad knee! ;)

I don't mind signing Lujic, we might get some more South supporters & Serbs joining up as members! hehe

More like 70-80k for his day job. 

I feel he would be very happy on his current wage/current South wage. 120k plus is a very healthy way to live.

Rather than making 50-60k, sitting on the bench every week/playing 10-15 mins a week. We would not pay more than that for a player who plays in the NPL-regardless of how good he is. He needs to show he can match it in the big league first, then go on the big bucks. 

He is 25 so probably only a couple of years into being a teacher, I think it takes a few more years to get to 70-80k. But there is that solid salary growth as you get experience so all the more reason to not put it on hold unless he gets a good offer. 

The point I was making is that Lujic has an injured knee and Gameiro is recovering from an ACL, i.e. we don't need two strikers with a bad knee! ;)

I don't mind signing Lujic, we might get some more South supporters & Serbs joining up as members! hehe

Oh, I'm not advocating we sign Lujic specifically because I know nothing about him I just think in a general sense that with a number of injuries that include Williams and Gameiro we ought to be bolstering our striker options. we have the mature rookie option, surely we have room under the cap with Aaron Mooy now a marquee, and there is the guest player option.

No-one needs me to tell them that the benchmark teams have got more striking options than we do and are demonstrating that in their pre-season matches.

Another point is that you need options - placing too much responsibility on an individual can often lead to that player underperforming because of the pressure on him to convert every single chance he gets.

Oh, I'm not advocating we sign Lujic specifically because I know nothing about him I just think in a general sense that with a number of injuries that include Williams and Gameiro we ought to be bolstering our striker options. we have the mature rookie option, surely we have room under the cap with Aaron Mooy now a marquee, and there is the guest player option.

No-one needs me to tell them that the benchmark teams have got more striking options than we do and are demonstrating that in their pre-season matches.

Another point is that you need options - placing too much responsibility on an individual can often lead to that player underperforming because of the pressure on him to convert every single chance he gets.

And it's so valuable having backup striker that is of very good quality. Unfortunately Williams is all we have. Last season victree and Sydney had thompson and smeltz, respectively, both capable of fitting in the starting eleven of their team. Our problem now is we have used up our visa options, so we won't get a backup striker of anywhere near the same standard as the two mentioned above. A mature age rookie, whilst good in theory, simply won't be good enough for what we need. Hopefully our front three of Novillo, Gamiero and Tuna don't get injured. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

You mentioned the Guest Stint in your argument there; out of Lampard, Pirlo and Villa - as much as I'd love Lampard or Pirlo - it makes most sense that we bring in the natural goal scorer in Villa again. Hopefully if he comes this time it'll be for 14 games rather than just 4 and that probably won't be until the Christmas Derby!

Considering our two marquee players are both attacking midfielders, getting Lampard or Pirlo (although both being MASSIVE names) we don't need another attacking midfielder...unless Koren breaks a leg or something... :blink:

You mentioned the Guest Stint in your argument there; out of Lampard, Pirlo and Villa - as much as I'd love Lampard or Pirlo - it makes most sense that we bring in the natural goal scorer in Villa again. Hopefully if he comes this time it'll be for 14 games rather than just 4 and that probably won't be until the Christmas Derby!

Considering our two marquee players are both attacking midfielders, getting Lampard or Pirlo (although both being MASSIVE names) we don't need another attacking midfielder...unless Koren breaks a leg or something... :blink:

Or plays like he did last season

• Like 1

as I see it previously you made a strong argument on the basis that whilst we had quantity in the striker options (5!!)  we lacked quality. I don't see how bringing in someone from the NPL will add that quality. Based on what is out there it would have had to been a foreigner, but we have committed those resources elsewhere. We may off load guys in Jan and be able to bring in an Aussie, but until then those 5 will have to do the job.

• Like 2

The cards have been dealt, we got what we got. It's not terrible, but definitely we are thin up front. Maybe Brown and Williams live up to their potential with zero pressure. Maybe Kuzi is a good as Melling was  last year. Then we have six that could do a job. I like the squad this season in the sense that at least our best starting 11 are top 3 quality, but as soon as national duty / injury / poor form hits we are relying on hopeful optimism. 

I think they have done a decent job putting together the squad, at round 4 we'll know how good.

Actually excited about tonight. (until we cop a goal).

• Like 2

I would love brattan to get here but he clearly wants overseas

yeah love watching him play. Can't recall another Aussie with a sublime passing range like that.

i hope he gets to a club where he has to work on his alround game and gets lots of game time. I also pray he stays well away from the tardistan cesspit 

So after Sorensen confirmed we have 23 players. Max is 26 I think. Does a guest player count as one of the 26?

AFAIK we have George Lambadaridis (Midfielder) and Callum Richardson (Defender) trialling, who both played for 20 and 30 mins respectively in Adelaide match. If they are still on trial then we should see them on Friday and Wednesday next week. 

I assume then the club are after some squad fillers in those parts of the field.

Still a question mark over Germano aswell.

• jw1739 pinned this topic