Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

because he has an Australian passport. That's my understanding of like for like, it has nothing to do with positions but is "like for like" in visa categories. I think the other rule is he can't be paid more than the injured player.

I have, several times, searched for an up-to-date written statement of what the "injury replacement rule" for the A-League actually says, but have failed to find one. I'm beginning to wonder whether FFA makes up the "rule" as it goes along.

Where is Murf with a definition? Come to that, where is Murf generally? - haven't seen a post from him for a while.

• Like 2

Nah, the guest player spot is already being used on Pirlo.

also, pretty sure the FFA has to sign off on guest players and Brattan would not fit their criteria (which I'm not sure even exists in written format, but I think it's safe to say an ex-Roar player wouldn't be accepted).

Dan Garb reporting Brattan will most likely join us on loan, which wouldn't take the guest player spot... so who knows what will happen.

Yeah I saw that too. God knows why man city would want to buy Brattan. I don't really see why we'd need him either but not complaining about extra depth which bypasses the salary cap.

Yeah I saw that too. God knows why man city would want to buy Brattan. I don't really see why we'd need him either but not complaining about extra depth which bypasses the salary cap.

Can see their point... extra profit considering free transfer, and maybe if he does really well in reserves, he can be sold for a couple million to a lower epl team or something like that... not that they need the profit haha.

I'm happy about it.. anything that can give us more depth and help our season I'm okay with.

Serves us right then after what happened (or didn't happen) with the botched Lampard loan deal.

Where does he fit in our starting lineup? Surely he's good enough to be a starter, but can't see him being ahead of Mooy, Koren or Paartalu. 

Very handy player to add, that's for sure.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 1

I can't really see what Manchester City are up to with the rumoured signing of Luke Brattan. Unless they see him as a good player to lock up and then use within CFG on a loan and/or injury replacement basis in New York, Yokohama and Melbourne. At 25 I'd be surprised if they saw him as potential EPL material.

No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

I have, several times, searched for an up-to-date written statement of what the "injury replacement rule" for the A-League actually says, but have failed to find one. I'm beginning to wonder whether FFA makes up the "rule" as it goes along.

Where is Murf with a definition? Come to that, where is Murf generally? - haven't seen a post from him for a while.

I recently moved and am yet to get my internet fully sorted out. It will be resolved pretty soon though, and definitely before the season starts.

I'm pretty certain these are still the relevant rules that pertain to injury replacement players:

REPLACEMENT PLAYER

12.2 in the event that a Club removes a Player from its Player Roster in accordance with either
Clause 10 (Long-Term Injury) and/or Clause 11 (National Team) and wishes to appoint a
Replacement Player, the Club must, subject to this clause 12, appoint a player from the
NYL Roster to its Player Roster.

12.3 A Club may, on the grounds that exceptional circumstances exist, apply to FFA for
approval to contract or loan a Replacement Player for a specified period in preference to
an NYL Player.

12.4 in determining whether exceptional circumstances apply, FFA will take into account such
factors as:
(a) the number, extent, type and expected duration of injuries the Club is experiencing;
(b) the number and duration of unavailability of Players on the Club Roster as a result of
selection for a National Team;
(c) the availability of appropriate replacements from the Club Roster;
(d) the objective of introduction of the National Youth League to provide Clubs and
Players with reserve and development options in the event of unavailability of the
regular Club playing roster;
(e) the extent to which the proposed remuneration payable to the Replacement Player
has the propensity to place the Club in breach of its Maximum Player Payments'
obligations [that is, salary cap obligations] ;and
(f) any other factor considered by FFA to be relevant.

Page 10 and 11 here: http://hosting2.sportingpulse.com/www.pfa.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Variation_of_A-League_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement_2008-9_-_2012-3.pdf

In theory, with injury replacements A-League club should do what we did with Hernan Espindola signing on as a replacement for James Brown, that is get a replacement from the NYL team. But most of the time A-League clubs sign injury replacement players that aren't from their NYL teams. Financially the players must be "like for like". But it's unclear how similar the players have to be (for example, can a Visa player replace an injured Australian player?). The media has even thought that the rules demand that players must be "like for like positionally" (see here: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/serbian-defender-nikola-petkovic-signs-for-entire-a-league-with-sydney-fc-after-ffa-snub/story-fnii0fg0-1226722752796).

In short, the injury replacement rule is another A-League rule that's changed a lot from what it was originally meant to be. But the players must, broadly speaking, be "like for like", especially with regards to their salaries.

• Like 1

I can't really see what Manchester City are up to with the rumoured signing of Luke Brattan. Unless they see him as a good player to lock up and then use within CFG on a loan and/or injury replacement basis in New York, Yokohama and Melbourne. At 25 I'd be surprised if they saw him as potential EPL material.

No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

For the record, the A-League is the only league of the four CFG have an interest in which lets you sign an injury replacement player outside of the registered squad limits, so I can't see him being horse-traded around the CFG clubs. I'm not sure I can see any player agreeing to sign a contract so that the can just be an emergency signing for a few weeks in different places every now and then anyway, even with the draw of CFG.

That said, I'm not sure what the logic of this signing is supposed to be, either.

I think it might be as simple as a favour whereby they loan him to some other uk club and then at the end of a season sell him to them, so acting as a sort of intermediary.

He was born in Hull so may have something to do with home grown status but I no nothing about that, so that could be wrong.

I know Daniel garb said he will be loaned to us but I don't think he would know our squad status or things like that. He is a uk correspondent so would hardly need to know.

Anyway after all of that I would absolutely love him here. He is much much better than Paartalu at the moment and would easily be able to play as a single dm.

• Like 2

We asked JVS at the family day yesterday about Brattan coming to us. He said he definitely likes him as a player but he won't be coming to Melbourne City for now because we don't have room in the salary cap. But he did say it might be an option in the future. Sounds like him signing for Man City is quite likely though.

• Like 3

I think it might be as simple as a favour whereby they loan him to some other uk club and then at the end of a season sell him to them, so acting as a sort of intermediary.

He was born in Hull so may have something to do with home grown status but I no nothing about that, so that could be wrong.

In the UK, home grown status is about how long you played in an academy, not about your actual place of birth. Cesc Fabregas counts as home grown, for instance, despite very much being Spanish, because he joined Arsenal at 15. Brattan is now too old to ever be home grown English. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 pinned this topic