Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I found it, see below:

Rule 69.c

i/ If Sydney wish to have as many marquee players and/or injury replacements in one season, then that's fine with us.

ii/ Given that Melbourne Victory (lead by Muscat) will no doubt whinge that it is the whole world against them, we'll give in to them and let them have the same.

iii/ All other teams can get fukd, you have to stick with the one.

iv/ Just in case no one understood point i/ above, Sydney can do whatever they want. They have our blessing.

Which set of rules are you looking at? Can you post the URL please?

Yes, very good!! 

Edited by jw1739
Sucked in again!
  • Like 2

That's my understanding on marquees although I am struggling to find it in black-and-white. The only way I can see Brattan coming to Melbourne would be on a 14-match guest stint. Whether or not FFA would see Brattan as having the necessary qualities to be allowed as a guest is debatable - although they did allow Francis Jeffers as a guest at Newcastle in 2010 and he was hardly a household name (except possibly for the wrong reasons).

It's annoying to find a copy of the CBA online, because there's a lot of dead-links. Here's a link to the CBA that was extended and relevant up until last season: http://hosting2.sportingpulse.com/www.pfa.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Variation_of_A-League_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement_2008-9_-_2012-3.pdf

Here's the part on international marquees:

6hi8zt.jpg

(Page 5)

It's a little open to interpretation, but the sense I always got was that it meant one international marquee a season, even if the original international marquee left before the season was finished. Consider this, no A-League club has ever replaced a marquee, international or Australian, mid-season. I've never even heard of reports of A-League clubs contemplating replacing their marquees mid-season. So that all suggests that A-League clubs can't replace their marquees mid-season.

Anyway the FFA replaced the salary cap rules for this season (see here: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-makes-changes-to-hyundai-a-league-salary-cap-regulations/1wotlw01hpsbh1ig6tb3cjgxzg), so who knows what the details are now. 

• Like 1

Murf, I found the following this afternoon, but it's dated 2009. But the article makes it pretty clear that at that time the rule was one marquee per season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/perth-glory-hopeful-of-special-concession-should-mile-sterjovski-leave/story-e6frf4gl-1225794812062

Brilliant, there it is in writing. It's surprisingly difficult to find references for the A-League's many rules and regulations.

Anyway the no replacing marquees rule is a firm reminder that Melbourne City has to have its marquees sorted out going into the season. And the club shouldn't settle for risky marquees, like a certain Slovenian.

• Like 1

Last season with the wanderers and their marquee that Brazilian? 

Can't remember the exact details but he left at one point and I'm pretty sure he wasn't replaced. 

Hmmm, that's right, Saba. (#10)

...but wasn't he replaced by that Japanese #10 who scored that dumb free kick against us at home last season. 

• Like 1

I think we would have a better chance than ever before of being able to change marque as TV ratings are down and  there is no real recognised marque in the A-League.

Agree, there's no chance of a 'Koren for Brattan' swap. Koren for a big name that would be a true marquee and get people watching in the stadium and on TV is much more likely

Can you change your playing roster during the season?

It says one marquee on the playing roster during the season, so if Koren leaves, and the club can update its roster, then we would no longer have a marquee on the roster, which would leave room for a new marquee on the roster, within the rules???

That's what I was wondering but jw1879 it looks like 'no'. Perth were looking at changing marques and had to ask the rules to be bent to accommodate this

In that article Perth were still seeking to clarify the rule.

Well, maybe.

"7.6 During an A-League Season, a Club may have one Marquee Player on its Player Roster."

Apart from the unnecessary comma, that to me is absolutely clear. It means exactly what it says. One marquee player. There are no subsidiary clauses or caveats. For example, if "at any one time" was meant, then it would be stated in the rule. 

IMO Perth were not really seeking clarification. They were seeking to actually contravene the rule by proposing that in some circumstances (i.e. theirs) a Club could have more than one Marquee Player in a season.

There are so many rules and regulations on A-League clubs, some pretty well hidden from view, I'm actually surprised that there are not more breaches. It wouldn't surprise me if FFA could not produce a complete and up-to-date list. IMO it's time for a complete overhaul and simplification.

In any case I don't think Luke Brattan qualifies as a "marquee" although I'd venture to suggest that over the years the pass-marks on "calibre, standing and reputation" have been lowered considerably. 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

As I understand Cahill's contract finishes on january, would anyone take Cahill as a marquee, could be a straight swap for Koren (when he gets booted out). I know that if Mooy gets called for Socceroo duty we might be left one short in midfield but I think Cahill would be a great addition. 

Pros - big name to attract people, still can run, experienced

Cons - His age, he no longer is as fast, his disdain for the A-League (which can be overcome)

Yeah, I would have him on a one year contract plus incentives

You couldnt get a bigger marquee than cahill in aus unless you were taking a top level star ie Messi, Ronaldo

That's really my point. He's a nobody. In the six Heart/City seasons that I've been watching A-League I would say only two marquees can be shown to have had an impact on the bums-on-seats - del Piero and Villa. And the only household Australian name in the category has been Kewell, and I doubt that we could measure a significant impact in spectator numbers with HK.

IMO most sports/entertainment etc. people grossly over-estimate the significance of the "names" in their particular industry or field of endeavour.

That's really my point. He's a nobody. In the six Heart/City seasons that I've been watching A-League I would say only two marquees can be shown to have had an impact on the bums-on-seats - del Piero and Villa. And the only household Australian name in the category has been Kewell, and I doubt that we could measure a significant impact in spectator numbers with HK.

IMO most sports/entertainment etc. people grossly over-estimate the significance of the "names" in their particular industry or field of endeavour.

Teams like victory have also demonstrated you can build a winning team that gets bums on seats 

There are many pathways to success and they aren't exclusive of each other, in fact a genuine marquee AND repeated success on the field are probably the best formula for us. Someone like Villa really came 2 seasons too early for us as we didn't have to team to leverage his appeal. I think that only being successful in a market with an already dominant team will only take us so far but not far enough if we want to dominate here in Melbourne as well as the League.

• Like 5

There are many pathways to success and they aren't exclusive of each other, in fact a genuine marquee AND repeated success on the field are probably the best formula for us. Someone like Villa really came 2 seasons too early for us as we didn't have to team to leverage his appeal. I think that only being successful in a market with an already dominant team will only take us so far but not far enough if we want to dominate here in Melbourne as well as the League.

And IMO if you have the genuine marquee or guest player you have to get your marketing right. And we did precisely the opposite with Villa.

• Like 1

HK first went to MV and there was an upsurge in ticket sales. Then he and MV had that disappointing season and returned to the UK for family reasons. He then came a second time to Heart just when the team acquired JA. So for me it was more like using your enemies used condom...

Cahill would undeniably produce huge media attention and get bums on seats. There's not many better known players to the average Australian than Tim Cahill. 

I wouldn't want him though. As big of a legend as he's been for Australian football if we're being honest he's a bit of a massive flog. 

Edited by Jimmy

Cahill would undeniably produce huge media attention and get bums on seats. There's not many better known players to the average Australian than Tim Cahill. 

I wouldn't want him though. As big of a legend as he's been for Australian football if we're being honest he's a bit of a massive flog. 

...and in any case it seems he's just re-signed with his current club.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-29/tim-cahill-re-signs-with-shanghai-shenhua/6897078?section=sport

• jw1739 pinned this topic