Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Going to throw it out there Cahill to sign as a 14 game guest stint when his current contract runs out for him to sign up next season as a proper squad player. Pay him bucket loads on guest stint then have him under cap next season.

fuck cahill, he's going to stay another year in china for 5-10m, even rumours he could be off qatar
plays for the money but spins the bullshit "project" excuse

• Like 1

Going to throw it out there Cahill to sign as a 14 game guest stint when his current contract runs out for him to sign up next season as a proper squad player. Pay him bucket loads on guest stint then have him under cap next season.

I know he said no one has made offers and that's why he hasn't come but that's bullshit. There has been offers at least from Sydney.

he doesn't want to play in the aleague cause it will alienate him from the supporters of the other clubs. He has said a few times in the past he never would play in the aleague and it's probably because of that reason.

I know he said no one has made offers and that's why he hasn't come but that's bullshit. There has been offers at least from Sydney.

he doesn't want to play in the aleague cause it will alienate him from the supporters of the other clubs. He has said a few times in the past he never would play in the aleague and it's probably because of that reason.

Tbh tho, that's a fair enough reason. He's an ornament of Aussie football and doesn't want to jade the public by playing against his own fans. Should just say that tho. The reality is most clubs cant afford him tbh , prob only us and Sydney, and given the price tag, would you want him?

I hope that we don't get a 'guest stint player'. We can all see what last season's debacle did to our supporter base in terms of this year's season ticket numbers. It was a great opportunity lost, one that may condemn us to permanent second club status in our own town.

Spot on Bela. Do the double and increase your season ticket sales by around 3,000 (MV, about 15% increase) or alienate a whole lot of people including your own fans and a previously-sympathetic media by stuffing up a guest player signing (and never apologising for doing so) and decrease your season ticket sales by around 1,500 (MC, about 15% decrease).

Possibly not permanent damage but definitely sent us back to Square 1.

• Like 1

Disagree tbh. No doubt they stuffed up with the guest player last season, but they'll learn from that. If they can sign the RIGHT player we should absolutely utilise it for the second half of the season. Most of CFG's work has been good so far, I'll back them to get it right on the second go.

• Like 2

I have no problem with a guest player - specially since we seem to rack up injuries. BUT the club must be honest with the public: when the player will arrive and commence training with the team, how long the player will be with the team and when he is expected to depart. And I certainly hope that the club has learnt from last seasons fiasco and David Villa.

• Like 3

Spot on Bela. Do the double and increase your season ticket sales by around 3,000 (MV, about 15% increase) or alienate a whole lot of people including your own fans and a previously-sympathetic media by stuffing up a guest player signing (and never apologising for doing so) and decrease your season ticket sales by around 1,500 (MC, about 15% decrease).

Possibly not permanent damage but definitely sent us back to Square 1.

I am willing to bet if we had another guest marquee both attendances and memberships would have risen again this season.

I am willing to bet if we had another guest marquee both attendances and memberships would have risen again this season.

The problem is that if we have a high profile guest player that isn't available for pre-season with the team (as they won't be) the risk is that they destabilise the team by trying to accomodate them into the team playing style. they are there for ⅓ of the season, even if they fit in well then the team suffers through their absence when they go. By all means sign a high profile player who will boost attendances (a Pirlo or a Lampard) but sign them for the season.

The problem is that if we have a high profile guest player that isn't available for pre-season with the team (as they won't be) the risk is that they destabilise the team by trying to accomodate them into the team playing style. they are there for ⅓ of the season, even if they fit in well then the team suffers through their absence when they go. By all means sign a high profile player who will boost attendances (a Pirlo or a Lampard) but sign them for the season.

For what it's worth the FFA changed the guest player stint from 10 weeks to 14 weeks, so officially half of the season (source: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-makes-changes-to-hyundai-a-league-salary-cap-regulations/1wotlw01hpsbh1ig6tb3cjgxzg).

I'm pretty confident Melbourne City would have been one of the A-League clubs really campaigning to lengthen guest player stint (some clubs must have pushed the FFA to lengthen that rule), and I just assumed after the announcement Melbourne City would make use of the improved guest player rule in some way.

So maybe Melbourne City will bring someone in at the start of January and use that player for the rest of the season. I think a guest player could really be done right and have a lot of upside, but sadly after the Villa fiasco there's now a lot more risk and downside if a guest player doesn't work out. So because of that risk I can see Melbourne City not getting a guest player at all, for better or worse. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Zlatan will only play if league name is changed to Z-League

Perhaps the club will under go a second name change to Melbourne Zlatan FC. The crowd can all chant Zlatan and hold their hands in an arrangement similar to Zoltan from dude wheres my car. Surely no one would see that coming!

No idea where to put this but here's some info on Brattan:

@SocStoppageTime: Luke Brattan management via Richie Hinton leaked stories his client was going to Manchester City FC

@SocStoppageTime: but Stealth believes ex @brisbaneroar Bratten will be trialling for @OfficialBWFC (Bolton Wanderers) in the Championship #brisbaneroar #bolton

Report: Manchester City will consider loaning Luke Brattan to Nottingham Forest

19 October 2015

According to a report from The Sun, Manchester City are set to sign Australian midfielder Luke Brattan - and will look to loan him out to Nottingham Forest.

Brattan, 25, left Brisbane Roar over the summer following a contract dispute, and has been training with Manuel Pellegrini's men in a bid to win a contract.

The Hull-born midfielder, who moved over to Australia as a youngster, has impressed with Brisbane Roar - a direct rival of Manchester City's sister club Melbourne City - and now looks set to make his return to England in a surprise deal with City.

However, whilst The Sun report that a deal is close for Brattan, they also add that City are hoping to loan him out almost immediately, and two Championship clubs are in the running.

It's stated that City are considering loaning him to either Bolton Wanderers or Nottingham Forest, before moving him on to affiliate Melbourne City.

Brattan's reputation is constantly growing at the moment, as having starred for Brisbane Roar, he was called up by the Australian national team for the first time in August.

With great passing and the ability to shoot from range, Brattan is seen as somebody who could be something of a late developer - and sending him on loan to a strong Championship side like Forest would be a great litmus test of whether he can handle the step-up in class back in England.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/18/report-manchester-city-will-consider-loaning-luke-brattan-to-not/page/1/

Report: Manchester City will consider loaning Luke Brattan to Nottingham Forest

19 October 2015

According to a report from The Sun, Manchester City are set to sign Australian midfielder Luke Brattan - and will look to loan him out to Nottingham Forest.

Brattan, 25, left Brisbane Roar over the summer following a contract dispute, and has been training with Manuel Pellegrini's men in a bid to win a contract.

The Hull-born midfielder, who moved over to Australia as a youngster, has impressed with Brisbane Roar - a direct rival of Manchester City's sister club Melbourne City - and now looks set to make his return to England in a surprise deal with City.

However, whilst The Sun report that a deal is close for Brattan, they also add that City are hoping to loan him out almost immediately, and two Championship clubs are in the running.

It's stated that City are considering loaning him to either Bolton Wanderers or Nottingham Forest, before moving him on to affiliate Melbourne City.

Brattan's reputation is constantly growing at the moment, as having starred for Brisbane Roar, he was called up by the Australian national team for the first time in August.

With great passing and the ability to shoot from range, Brattan is seen as somebody who could be something of a late developer - and sending him on loan to a strong Championship side like Forest would be a great litmus test of whether he can handle the step-up in class back in England.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/18/report-manchester-city-will-consider-loaning-luke-brattan-to-not/page/1/

That says to me that in January we are going to cut someone from the squad

• jw1739 pinned this topic