Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Probably because if we signed Brattan he'd have to fit into the cap unless we tried to sign 2 Australian marquees. We aren't Sydney FC or Visitors so they may not like it

Don'tĀ the marquee rules allow for any type of marquee (2 visa, 2 aus or 1 of each)?

It should be a replacement visa but no way we're knocking back bratton.

why does it need to be a visa player? I would much rather get the players to achieve success as opposed to using our quotas.

• Like 2

I'm struggling to follow this. CFG taking a player to Manchester for an extended trial, then using Nottingham Forest or another Championship club (but certainly not a club in the City stable) to see whether an Australian player cuts the mustard well enough to be a player for Melbourne City?

• Like 2

I'm struggling to follow this. CFG taking a player to Manchester for an extended trial, then using Nottingham Forest or another Championship club (but certainly not a club in the City stable) to see whether an Australian player cuts the mustard well enough to be a player for Melbourne City?

it's all very strange.Ā I'm also confused as hell

• Like 1

Don'tĀ the marquee rules allow for any type of marquee (2 visa, 2 aus or 1 of each)?

why does it need to be a visa player? I would much rather get the players to achieve success as opposed to using our quotas.

Not sure, Murph will know:)

Would we really want Brattan if we could cast the net wider in the international market though and also have a bigger budget?

He's obviously good enough to play for us.Ā  If this is true it seems more like we're just biding our time until we can loan him or use him as a guest player in the back end of the season (+finals?).Ā  Also gives Brattan a chance to impress over in England if he does well.Ā  I don't think there's any "trial" for Manchester going on.

Probably because if we signed Brattan he'd have to fit into the cap unless we tried to sign 2 Australian marquees. We aren't Sydney FC or Visitors so they may not like it

They changed the marquee rule before the start of the season to allow both marquees to be either visa or Australian.

http://www.espnfc.com/australian-a-league/story/2557779/a-league-relaxes-salary-cap-rules-to-allow-for-more-marquees

I like Brattan, but is he really worthy of Koren's marquee spot? Sure Koren has been poor, but if we're going to replace him why not go for somebody big?

• Like 2

They changed the marquee rule before the start of the season to allow both marquees to be either visa or Australian.

http://www.espnfc.com/australian-a-league/story/2557779/a-league-relaxes-salary-cap-rules-to-allow-for-more-marquees

I like Brattan, but is he really worthy of Koren's marquee spot? Sure Koren has been poor, but if we're going to replace him why not go for somebody big?

Answer is pay out Paartalu instead and you have a direct replacement who can actually move, pass and shoot.

• Like 2

He's obviously good enough to play for us.Ā  If this is true it seems more like we're just biding our time until we can loan him or use him as a guest player in the back end of the season (+finals?).Ā  Also gives Brattan a chance to impress over in England if he does well.Ā  I don't think there's any "trial" for Manchester going on.

It's a complicated situation. One important point to remember though is that Brattan became a free agent, and thereafter couldn't really negotiate from a position of strength. I reckon Brattan thought he'd end up at a good European club quickly, likeĀ at a Championship club,Ā and such a obviously hasn't materialised (at least since he left Brisbane Roar 2 months ago).

I reckon the best Brattan can do ATM is be a train-on at the Man City academy, and longer term it looks like the best Brattan can do is become a "CFG player" (rather than a Man City player). If Brattan signs for Man City he'll be immediately loaned out, almost certainly to a Championship club, for the short term. I'm sure if he was good enough and impressed Man City would keep him, but there's zero percent chance of that happening so I reckon the end gameĀ will be CFG engineering a move for Luke Brattan to Melbourne City. Most likely IMO as a guest player in January for 14 games, or possibly after the 2015/16 season is finished and Melbourne City have freed up the space to sign him.Ā 

Ā 

Would be interested to hear the Man City perspective on the Brattan rumours, but I also don't think there is any real trial going on, and think ultimately CFG will try and move Brattan to Melbourne City, maybe in a convoluted way similar to Frank Lampard where the player doesn't technically break his promise of playing for a "rival" club.

Edited by Murfy1

Would love to see during January or the off-season a straight swap of Paartalu for Kantarovski.

He's been on the verge of transferringĀ to Bayer Munich for the past 6 years, surely we have no chance.

Edited by Tesla

I still don't get the Brattan thing. Can't believe Manchester City are running a charity train-on facility there. They can pretty much get any player they want from anywhere at any time, so why they are bothering with Brattan I don't know.

It's most likely its some way to get him here cheaply inside the salary cap at some stage. How exactly ƍ don't think anyone knows but it will be cap manipulation of some sort.

They're not going to rush in to anything this season IMO.

All of Chapman, Kisnorbo, Zullo, Hughes(v), Clisby, Mauk, Koren(v,m), Melling, Retre, Williams, Brown, Marino and Dekker are out of contract at the end of this season.

Clearly some of these are going to be offered new contracts (I'd guess Chapman, Mauk, Melling, Retre, and Dekker, possibly Marino) but IMO Kisnorbo, Zullo, Hughes, Koren, Williams and Brown are likely to say goodbye.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Zullo needs to prove that he can remain fit. I am fed up with the club having so many injuries and Zullo has yet to play a full 90 minutes. Of a season of 27 matches I would expect him to miss no more than 270 minutes due to injury otherwise, thanks for coming.

Agree wholeheartedly. At this juncture he's just another (non-visa) Germano.

Zullo needs to prove that he can remain fit. I am fed up with the club having so many injuries and Zullo has yet to play a full 90 minutes. Of a season of 27 matches I would expect him to miss no more than 270 minutes due to injury otherwise, thanks for coming.

Why do you think wounded species come to us? Because of our facilities. Once fully fit they will f-off.

Surely we could get rid of Koren in January and replace him with a guest player for the remaining games, then possibly sign that player up as marquee when the season ends.

Manchester City buy/sign the player in the January window, then "loan" him to us as the guest player?

• jw1739 pinned this topic