Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

If we have signed him as a backup then that is seriously stupid- even more stupid than signing him as first choice...Surely he is signed as a number one.. I mean hell, why have the Former Stoke # 3 keeper if you're not going to start him. 

Edited by tommac
  • Like 1

Has anybody ever considered he will be brought as back up for the first year and as a goalkeeper coach further on. Do we have one at the moment?

why waste a visa spot then on a back up keeper?

I was more then happy to go in with tando as our number 1 and maybe signing a youth keeper as a back-up. Instead, we waste a visa spot on a position we already have well covered

What a waste.

• Like 1

Melbourne Football is reporting it's a 3 year deal. If true, it just seems a strange one. 

I'm sure he'll be a great player and perhaps more importantly, a great leader. 

This is what we need. Numerous times Davutovic made the point that the dressing room in city is too quiet and timid and then went on to say that this is probably part of the reasons there is no consistency with our preformances.*

Tando is a good Keeper but he issnt someone who organized the defence or commanded the box

*He did say though that Melling is one who was loud and got around everyone and was one of those mongrels we need.

Edited by Dylan

Schwarzer was still playing premier league at 40 wasn't he? This could go alright. 

Brad Friedel was still quality til he retired at 43.

Edit: Didn't see Ksk's post. Still, who knows what he's been up to. Besides riding a bicycle that is. Could be primed to play in a low quality league!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

I don't think there's any doubting that he'll be a quality keeper for us, it's just a matter of whether his performances will warrant him holding a VISA slot.

In the grand scheme of things, if all that's said about Germano is true and that he'll hold Aussie citizenship when his injury replacement contract concludes then we'll have:

Fornaroli
Koren
Sorrenson
Germano
Hughes
Novillo

• Like 1

"Was still playing" being the most important part of that sentence. He hadnt retired

During 09/10 season at the age of 37 Schwarzer played for Fulham 60 times (PL, FA cup & Europa) compared to Sorensen's total 55 appearances for Stoke over the past 5 seasons. Age 34-39. So Apples and oranges there. 

Thomas made a fantastic back up keeper for me at Bayern Munich on Fifa08 though! 

Interested to see whats on offer for him, surely a 39 y.o Dane who's spent the best part of the past 15 years in England isn't coming half way around the world with his family for a footballing challenge or to win silverware. E
specially for salary cap monies. There would have to be some sort of lucrative coaching or admin role on offer with CFG. 

During 09/10 season at the age of 37 Schwarzer played for Fulham 60 times (PL, FA cup & Europa) compared to Sorensen's total 55 appearances for Stoke over the past 5 seasons. Age 34-39. So Apples and oranges there. 

Thomas made a fantastic back up keeper for me at Bayern Munich on Fifa08 though! 

Interested to see whats on offer for him, surely a 39 y.o Dane who's spent the best part of the past 15 years in England isn't coming half way around the world with his family for a footballing challenge or to win silverware. E
specially for salary cap monies. There would have to be some sort of lucrative coaching or admin role on offer with CFG. 

True. But if it was for an admin or coaching role surely we dont need to pull him out of retirement and use up a visa spot. Couldn't we just give him an admin job.

Either way it just seems like a weird signing to me. If it works out well then great. But iif t is yet another gamble signing that doesnt come good i want heads to roll

• Like 2

True. But if it was for an admin or coaching role surely we dont need to pull him out of retirement and use up a visa spot. Couldn't we just give him an admin job.

Either way it just seems like a weird signing to me. If it works out well then great. But iif t is yet another gamble signing that doesnt come good i want heads to roll

lol, this

Melbourne City have reportedly signed veteran Danish goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen on a two-year deal.

Sorensen has been linked to a move to City for weeks but Danish newspaper BT says a deal has been reached with the A-League club and an announcement is imminent.

The 39-year-old has been a fixture of the English Premier League since moving to Sunderland in 1998, spending five years with the Black Cats before moving to Aston Villa and then most recently Stoke City.

While relegated to a back-up role with Stoke over the last three seasons, City clearly believes Sorensen's ageing body can withstand the rigours of the A-League having signed him for two years.

Melbourne City already have the maximum of five imports on their books, but Jonatan Germano is on a short-term injury-replacement contract and it's understood he will be moved on to make room for the 101-cap Danish international.

It's anticipated Sorensen will usurp Tando Velaphi, the only other gloveman currently on City's books, as the team's first-choice goalkeeper.

Sorensen would become just the third import goalkeeper in A-League history, after Perth Glory's Milan Jovanic (2005/06) from Serbia and Wellington's Tony Warner (2011/12) from Trinidad & Tobago.

Brad Friedel was still quality til he retired at 43.

Edit: Didn't see Ksk's post. Still, who knows what he's been up to. Besides riding a bicycle that is. Could be primed to play in a low quality league! 

I don't get people comparing him to other old keepers, because TS more or less hasn't played in 3 years! If we are doing comparisons why don't we compare him to the other 39 year old GKs? Oh, that's right 90% of them are retired - and so was TS!!

I wonder how Tando feels about this signing...just when he thought he had finally nailed down a No.1 spot, he gets relegated to the bench by a geriatric!

No professional footballer ever has a guarantee of a starting place in the side, and I'd be very surprised if Tando was that naive. My guess is that his own re-signing was delayed while the Sorensen signing was finalised and possibly even the relationship between the two GKs discussed with him.

By the way, I think those saying that Sorensen had retired are mistaken. He told Stoke that he was leaving when his contract expired, and arranged his ride across the U.S. I recall seeing him asked (on Twitter I think) whether he might return to the Danish League, and his reply was along the lines that "anything is possible."

I don't get people comparing him to other old keepers, because TS more or less hasn't played in 3 years! If we are doing comparisons why don't we compare him to the other 39 year old GKs? Oh, that's right 90% of them are retired - and so was TS!!

He was still back-up at Stoke last season, and not that I'm an expert or anything, but I hardly doubt a Premier League team would offer him a contract if he wasn't at least at a certain standard. That standard most likely being of a higher level to that of the A-League.

I get people's hesitation at using a visa spot on a goalkeeper, but i think it's highly unlikely he'll be shit. Unless he gets injured of course, then he'll be shit.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic