Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

From the player of the month page.

"Melbourne City FC's marquee man Robi Koren stood out throughout March, playing his more natural position in the middle of the park. With a pinpoint assist for David Williams against Newcastle and the cross that saw Josh Kennedy's header saved by Jamie Young and tapped in by Jonatan Germano, Koren's contribution has been immense."

Two good kicks in a month is the benchmark, maybe he'll lift for the finals series and squeeze in three.

Edited by Jun
  • Like 3

"Melbourne City FC's marquee man Robi Koren stood out throughout March, playing his more natural position in the middle of the park. With a pinpoint assist for David Williams against Newcastle and the cross that saw Josh Kennedy's header saved by Jamie Young and tapped in by Jonatan Germano, Koren's contribution has been immense."

Two good kicks in a month is the benchmark, maybe he'll lift for the finals series and squeeze in three.

Sounds like the pr department is working overtime 

"Immense"? 

Ahahaha, get fucked.

• Like 1

Sounds like the pr department is working overtime 

Its an equal opportunity team, share the mediocrity around

• Like 1

Need to cut our losses and spend some decent coin on a decent marquee next season!

AFIK we are spending decent coin on him - like over the $1M mark. Sure Janko is probably earning more but neither of them are going to go hungry. Me thinks the club must have watched some photoshopped highlights.

The best player in the league on paper. Has undeniable quality. Comes to our team and plays shit. Just like pretty much every other player in our team has underperformed playing for us compared to what they are capable of. JVS the problem.

Edited by Tesla

The best player in the league on paper. Has undeniable quality. Comes to our team and plays shit. Just like pretty much every other player in our team has underperformed playing for us compared to what they are capable of. JVS the problem.

C'mon mate i love chugging some JVS haterade myself but this is just silly. This bloke plus duga weren't ruined by JVS. Koren especially. Korens attitude has been his biggest problem IMO. Looks arrogant as fuck

He's going to kill it in the finals. He has been taking everyone for a ride. Watch and see.

I actually truly believed this was the case. For whatever reason he's shit. I've given up on him. The really troubling issue is that he's contracted for another season. I'm hopeful they will replace him not really sure whether it will happen.

He's going to kill it in the finals. He has been taking everyone for a ride. Watch and see.

I actually truly believed this was the case. For whatever reason he's shit. I've given up on him. The really troubling issue is that he's contracted for another season. I'm hopeful they will replace him not really sure whether it will happen.

We have enough coin to rip up his contract

We have enough coin to rip up his contract

I don't actually think this is a money issue. I reckon Koren's future lies in the status of JVS. If he stays then more likely than not so will Koren.

I wonder what is going through his head. Would he genuinely want to stay here or would he be willing to go elsewhere? Theoretically he still has a couple of years left of football in him so if he stays and has another dismal season his currency drops even further or if he leaves he may be able to salvage some reputation that will keep him at only a slightly lower currency.

It's far from his ability and definitely something in his head. Is he just having a shit time here or is he pissed off with jvs, there's definitely something not right.

Who knows? Maybe he's pissed off playing in front of City's consistently small crowds. Never got that in the EPL.  Might be a completely different player if he was at, dare I say it, Victory.

It's far from his ability and definitely something in his head. Is he just having a shit time here or is he pissed off with jvs, there's definitely something not right.

But I'd apply that to pretty much all of them. Who apart from, say, Mooy and Melling, actually looks as though they are playing for the shirt? Or even for their contract?

I suggest that they're all too bloody comfortable. Rock up for 90 minutes or so each day for a bit of a run-around in the best training facilities in the league by a mile. Nice comfy work clothes provided. Play once a week for a coach who doesn't demand anything at all from you, half the time in the best playing facility in the country. Get a knock on the leg and take half the season off on full pay. Annual all-expenses paid holiday in the U.K. flying business class.

Easy wicket really.

It's not only Koren. They all need a hefty kick up the backside.

• Like 2

"I suggest that they're all too bloody comfortable. Rock up for 90 minutes or so each day for a bit of a run-around in the best training facilities in the league by a mile. Nice comfy work clothes provided. Play once a week for a coach who doesn't demand anything at all from you, half the time in the best playing facility in the country. Get a knock on the leg and take half the season off on full pay. Annual all-expenses paid holiday in the U.K. flying business class.

Easy wicket really.

It's not only Koren. They all need a hefty kick up the backside."

"I suggest that they're all too bloody comfortable. Rock up for 90 minutes or so each day for a bit of a run-around in the best training facilities in the league by a mile. Nice comfy work clothes provided. Play once a week for a coach who doesn't demand anything at all from you, half the time in the best playing facility in the country. Get a knock on the leg and take half the season off on full pay. Annual all-expenses paid holiday in the U.K. flying business class."

My comment:

If you're saying that about our players, many of whom are on less than $100,000 a year, I wonder what you would say about players in the EPL, many earning millions of dollars a season and on top of that on multi year contracts?

Edited by Parrot

"I suggest that they're all too bloody comfortable. Rock up for 90 minutes or so each day for a bit of a run-around in the best training facilities in the league by a mile. Nice comfy work clothes provided. Play once a week for a coach who doesn't demand anything at all from you, half the time in the best playing facility in the country. Get a knock on the leg and take half the season off on full pay. Annual all-expenses paid holiday in the U.K. flying business class.

Easy wicket really.

"I suggest that they're all too bloody comfortable. Rock up for 90 minutes or so each day for a bit of a run-around in the best training facilities in the league by a mile. Nice comfy work clothes provided. Play once a week for a coach who doesn't demand anything at all from you, half the time in the best playing facility in the country. Get a knock on the leg and take half the season off on full pay. Annual all-expenses paid holiday in the U.K. flying business class."

My comment:

If you're saying that about our players, many of whom are on less than $100,000 a year, I wonder what you would say about players in the EPL, many earning millions of dollars a season and on top of that on multi year contracts?Players in the EPL are at clubs that probably actually give a fuck about winning and are happy to get rid of players not at their best due to lack of salary cap restrictions etc.

Edit: Obviously none of what I said applies in any way to Newcastle United, who are at the moment the Melbourne City of the EPL.

Edited by GreenSeater

Easy wicket really.

My comment:

If you're saying that about our players, many of whom are on less than $100,000 a year, I wonder what you would say about players in the EPL, many earning millions of dollars a season and on top of that on multi year contracts? Players in the EPL are at clubs that probably actually give a fuck about winning and are happy to get rid of players not at their best due to lack of salary cap restrictions etc.

Edit: Obviously none of what I said applies in any way to Newcastle United, who are at the moment the Melbourne City of the EPL.

EPL clubs still have contractual obligations which mean that players can only be released during transfer windows unless the contract has been breached by the player. The one advantage the EPL clubs have over the A-League clubs is that the salary cap prevents new players from joining the club as replacements. But small EPL clubs do not have that much room salary wise from hiring new players anyway. It is only the big clubs that can do that. However, even the top clubs have limits as reports in the Financial Times stated that Man U had to qualify for the Champions or Europa Leagues to be cash flow positive, let alone profitable (and yes I am aware that the Glazer's have loaded the club with massive debts but thins are what they are).

Agree with the criticisms of Koren. Just never shows enough quality and gets outshone by Mooy every match, and too often looks too comfortable and could use a kick up the backside (along with a number of other City players over the past 2 rounds).

Is he the club's worst ever international marquee?

- The club's first season had = Gerald Sibon 

- The second and third seasons = Fred

- The fourth season = Orlando Engelaar

I reckon Koren might just be the club's worst ever international marquee. Or at very least he is the most disappointing international marquee the club has ever had IMO.