Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

I believe he was more involved last night than he has been of late.

He linked up with Mooy on several occasions with Mooy making the run and Koren finding him with a pass or header.

He showed his skill with the shot that the keeper tipped on to the bar and the flick to Mooy that led to the goal.

We are looking at Mooy and wondering why Koren can't put in those lung bursting runs. The simple fact it has never been his game and especially in the conditions he is playing at in Australia.

if you look at his goals for Hull and Slovenia, he is much better coming onto the ball. This is where he has scored most of his goals.

If he is going to be effective in the next two games he needs the legs of Germano and Murdocca around him.

We have to give him the ball in positions where he can hurt the opposition. Hopefully Novillo and Williams will return for the Brisbane game, allowing Koren to play the attacking midfield role.

• Like 3

Just had a look at the video. What stood out for me was the number of goals he kicked from outside the box, most of them from way outside the box. And in almost all of these instances he had plenty of time and space, and his line of sight was clear. And I cannot recall any match this season where he has had that much time or space to kick from outside the box. Furthermore, the defences are more congested than what he faced on the video.

That's the nature of the aleague. Silva is right, a lot of goals he gave were when he was running onto the ball as well as the most obvious difference being all goals being given from a central area and playing in behind the front strikers.

Playing just behind a pair of front strikers would be ideal allowing him to come in from midfield either to have a ping at goal or mopping up loose balls in the box. He's pretty much an opportunist goal scorer who has good technique and an eye for goal.

Just had a look at the video. What stood out for me was the number of goals he kicked from outside the box, most of them from way outside the box. And in almost all of these instances he had plenty of time and space, and his line of sight was clear. And I cannot recall any match this season where he has had that much time or space to kick from outside the box. Furthermore, the defences are more congested than what he faced on the video.

Our pedestrian transition into the front third allows plenty of time for the defence to fall back and block the route to goal.

Our pedestrian transition into the front third allows plenty of time for the defence to fall back and block the route to goal. And a certain M. Dugandzic.
  • Like 2

Weren't you having a go at Koren with a one liner?

Dunno if troll or...

What a pathetically thought out post by you.

How many folks have had a go at Koren for his failure to deliver as a marquee?

I'm not in isolation here you ........

It's YOU.

So using your logic, I guess you must be pleased with Koren's performances as our marquee. lol rofl

Stop wasting our time.

Wow

If ever there is a week we need him to shine it's this one with Mooy missing. Needs a dominant performance here.

To add to this, I think he will be like Janko and take half a season to really learn his role and adapt to it.  There were a couple of comments above about marquees should dominate every game, but I think in reality that is rarely the case. Carusca has been  hot and cold this season but there are flashes that end up in the highlights reel and I think people who don't support Adelaide seem to project the highlight and then think he has done it all game. I can guarantee you people see that volley Koren nearly scored and will think he did that all game. 

Like what Bela said above about Zidane. If you watch Koren's highlights, he floats around a lot and suddenly he is there in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Weren't you having a go at Koren with a one liner?

Dunno if troll or...

What a pathetically thought out post by you.

How many folks have had a go at Koren for his failure to deliver as a marquee?

I'm not in isolation here you ........

It's YOU.

So using your logic, I guess you must be pleased with Koren's performances as our marquee. lol rofl

Stop wasting our time.

Wow

I'm going to call it. This guy is Alan Jones. 

• Like 1

A-League: Melbourne City marquee man Robert Koren happy to do what is best for the team

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MARCH 27, 2015

HE’S become the Mr Fixit marquee, but Melbourne City’s selfless import Robbie Koren declared that the team’s ladder placing is what matters most.

The former Hull City and West Brom attacker has mainly adopted a makeshift role in his 13 City games, after the early part of his season was blighted by injury.

Koren, 34, has shown flashes of the class that saw him become a respected Premier League player and captain of Slovenia, including a hat-trick away to Newcastle Jets in December.

“It was a difficult start for me with (calf) injury I picked up. I was really looking forward to the season and it put me back and took me a while to get back into shape,’’ Koren said.

“When you miss nine or 10 games, the team is set up the way they’re playing and you need to fill in, that’s not an easy part.

“I’ve played different positions, most games a striker, that’s something new for me.

“I’m not complaining, I’m here to play for team and that all that matters that club that they’re progressing.

“Every training I work hard, I’m here to help the club, not to show myself as an individual.

“The main thing is the team is successful, and that’s when we reach top six, that’s my aim. I’m working hard, I’m trying to do my best for the club.’’

City coach John van’t Schip rated last week’s performance as Koren’s best of the season, and predicted his influence would grow as City prepares to host Brisbane Roar tonight.

“Because of all the injuries he’s been playing in different positions, which hasn’t helped him and the team settle,’’ van’t Schip said.

“But looking at his last few games, he’s setting an example on the pitch, working hard, creating and giving us that extra second to make a solution and I thought he played his best game against Sydney.

“He feels now strong physically. Doesn’t matter how experienced you are, there’s always a time of adaptation, now he’s really at the point of really taking the team by his hands.’’

The arrival of Aussie marquee Josh Kennedy, who returns from a week off, has seen Koren return to a more favoured, deeper role and given City a proper focal point.

Koren said City’s injury woes have been a factor behind the inconsistency.

“We are not consistent I can see that one of the reasons, we picked up so many injuries in the team,’’ he said.

“I was injured at the start of the season, Josh Kennedy, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, James Brown have all been injured.

“If you have all players available all the time, I’m sure we would have more points.

“Josh is bringing something into the team that we don’t have, a proper number nine and when we are missing him we struggle.

“I hope he can stay fit and his quality will hopefully help the team be successful and reach the top six.’’

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-city-marquee-man-robert-koren-happy-to-do-what-is-best-for-the-team/story-fnii0fc4-1227281895562

Agree, this was one of his poorest games. It was harder for him when he replaced Kennedy as centre forward as this really took him out of the game as we had virtually no possession or time with the ball in our attacking half. he was clearly trying to get himself an early shower with persistent tackles from behind during the second half. Very disappointing.

Maybe the go with Koren is you start him, then as soon as he does something good sub him.

(From experience he'll only do this once a game )

I think it's seriously time to drop him from the starting line up. I have been waiting and waiting for something. He has had glimpses of class and has been barely noticeable for the rest. With Melling available it's time to make the move. Play Mooy alongside Melling and put Germano as the anchor. Paartalu has been down last 4 weeks and needs a spell. Obviously all this can't happen this Friday but following week I'm hopeful.

I agree that he hasn't shown enough. But in the last two wins we've had he has been the one that's put the 3rd touch on the ball prior to the goal. The flick on to Mooy against Sydney and the cross to Kennedy against Brisbane. So personal opinion aside, if I was manager I still wouldn't be dropping him from the starting line up.

• Like 2

I agree that he hasn't shown enough. But in the last two wins we've had he has been the one that's put the 3rd touch on the ball prior to the goal. The flick on to Mooy against Sydney and the cross to Kennedy against Brisbane. So personal opinion aside, if I was manager I still wouldn't be dropping him from the starting line up.

Maybe, but is that enough? Would Melling offer more? Other option is to play him wide or as a falsey which probably by default will happen.

Maybe, but is that enough? Would Melling offer more? Other option is to play him wide or as a falsey which probably by default will happen.

Obviously in this case the answer is 'yes' as it initiated the play that resulted in the only goal in a 1-0 win. I would like him to do more though

And that's why, FWIW, JvS is still talking Koren up.

Perhaps but would Melling have delivered those assists. I doubt it. He would offer much more in terms of pressure in the midfield it's whether that would lead to goals is anyones guess.

Exactly.

I have given the question of 'where is Koren's best position' much thought lately. To try and answer this, I try and work out the best fit for each player against a traditional shirt number.

I come up with something like this, excluding defence: (apologies in advance if this is difficult to understand, I'm just brain-dumping now!)

#6   - Melling/Paartalu/Germano/Mooy/Retre/Murdocca. Box to box midfielder with more of a defensive side and can apply plenty of pressure, but can also push forward to join in on attacks.

#7   - Duga/Willo/Brown. Winger/wider dudes.

#8   - Mooy. Box to box midfielder with more of an attacking side and can feature heavily on attacks. Runs the midfield.

#9   - Kennedy. Striker, target man.

#10 - Koren. Midfield-striker link who has the class and skill to turn attacks into goal scoring opportunities; for himself or others.

#11 - Novillo/Gooch/Ramsay. Other winger/wider dudes.

I guess this more of a 4-4-2 type of formation, however the problem is of course, we play a 4-3-3. So how does the above fit into our formation? 

I can see just about every player/position above transition into a 4-3-3 formation (e.g. Novillo and Duga playing wide in the front 3). 

The only player/pos above I can't see transitioning into our formation is Koren. I just don't know how he is suited to that. I'm not sure if he works in the mid 3 and I don't know if a wing/false 9 spot in the forward 3 works for him either.

Would love to hear other's opinions on this, especially people out there who are more familiar with his style of play in the past.

So does the manager persist with this formation and find players that suit or does he go with his squad and try and find a formation that suits best

For me, I just don't know the answer....

Koren's played in most attacking positions throughout his career (although as far as I know he never really played as a striker before joining Melbourne City). Indeed, when he first played in England, with Championship club West Bromwich Albion, Koren was quickly appreciated for his versatility:

Koren's happy to be Mr Versatile

25 May 2007

By Chris Lepkowski

ROBERT Koren is willing to be Tony Mowbray's flexible friend to ensure he books his place in Albion's starting line-up at Wembley.

The Slovenian midfielder has filled all roles in Albion's engine room since making a January move from Norwegian side Lillestrom.

With Richard Chaplow and Darren Carter knocking on the door, Koren knows he is far from guaranteed a place in Mowbray's final XI - although he certainly did his chances no harm with his excellent performance in the centre of midfield in the play-off semi-final second leg against Wolves. Alternatively he may be used as a wide midfielder.

"There are a lot of midfield players who want to play and everyone needs to show in training that they really want to play in the final," said Koren. "In the end it will be the manager who decides who starts the game.

"Before I came here I'd never really played wide but it hasn't been a problem. I feel more confident in the middle because I've played there all my life.

"It's easier for me to play there because I'm more relaxed about what I'm doing. When you join a new club you just want to do your best and I'm not complaining about where I play.

"But I hope next season I will be able to play one position all the time."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/korens-happy-to-be-mr-versatile-41282

Nonetheless his main position is playing centrally in midfield, where he can produce a lot of attacking football. And it's his most preferred position as well.

Also, since Koren's now into his 30s, perhaps he doesn't have the engine to buzz around in midfield like a young player like Melling (at least, Koren doesn't have the ability to do lots of defensive legwork AND produce quality moments for the team in attack).

This is pretty much the way I see the team setting up, using players from last week:

4-3-3 in attack:

Novillo      Kennedy      Dugandzic

Koren  

Germano

Paartalu               

Clisby  Kisnorbo  Jaliens Retre

Tando

Koren being the most advanced midfielder, with 2 deeper midfielders who provide more mobility and grunt in midfield.

4-4-2 in defence: 

Kennedy

Koren

Novillo Paartalu Germano Dugandzic

Clisby  Kisnorbo  Jaliens Retre

Tando

With Koren being the 2nd most advanced player, who pretty much just sits in midfield and guards the opponent's no 6/defensive midfielder (such as Luke Brattan), and tries to stop him getting on the ball. 

Overall I can see Koren working well in this team, but he needs to show his attacking qualities more consistently. A sure way to do that would be if the team could have more possession. If Melbourne City had between 55% to 60% possession a game, I believe we'd get to see a lot more of Koren at his best, and he might even look like a wholly different player.

• Like 1

I am puzzled by people continuing to make excuses for Koren because he's being played out of position. The reason he's being played out of position is he isn't good enough in that original position, so it's hardly an excuse.

As a comparison Orlando Engelaar didn't find himself on the wing, having failed as a midfielder.

• Like 1

I think the reason being is more so that Mooy made that position his own the the first 10 games of the season while Koren was out injured. Mooy simply couldn't be repositioned because of his dominance forcing Koren into wider areas.

In saying that, JVS could make it work by changing his structure and system of play, however within his system it simply won't work.