Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Do we have any hull city fans here that regularly watched his games? Apart from a few highlights i haven't seen much of him

Goal scoring AM. Can and has played as a false 9. His trade mark is apparently late runs into the box. Pretty much perfect for Duff to cross to, but of course this is City. It wont work out like that.

Davutovic last week in his blog said he will have a much bigger impact than Engelaar did but that is way over the top IMOwhat about his downside? Can imagine him lacking in pace, stamina, strength, etcApparently in his old age he doesnt track back as much but really nor should he, mooy and paartalu should be doing that.

I am actually very curious and hopeful about him. Sure, the rest of the club is crap and I think JVS has almost lost the players. But, Koren is a cfg marquee and they always said they wont bring a big name they will get a big player so i guess Kores impact will show how much they have learnt about the league so far. Well it is just bad luck for Koren he picked up this injury. As far as I know he doesn't have a history of serious injuries, so I can guess he is as frustrated as we all are about this.

I will be surprised if he doesn't make a big impact for us. He definitely has the ability to shine and I would put him a good way ahead of Andy Keogh in terms of ability. So I am hopeful he will prove to be a success. Well last season Engelaar pretty much transformed the team theb drifted off at the end probably because of a lack of a preseason. Whereas Koren has had a full preseason

Can't wait to see him play but honestly his pre-season seems mostly confined to the treatment table and doing a good impersonation of a pin cushion :P

Huh? He has been training since August and played in all preseason games against a league teams? He got injured the week before round 1

Robert Koren's calf injury

Round 1 Away: Named (Late Withdrawal)

Round 2 Home: Promoted (Did not play)

Round 3 Melb: 4-6 weeks

Round 4 Home: 3-5 weeks

Round 5 Away: 3-5 weeks

Round 6 Home: 2-4 weeks

Round 7 Home: 2-3 weeks

I'm expecting:

Round 8 Away: 1-3 weeks

Round 9 Home: 1-2 weeks

Round10 Away: 1 week (Not taking any risks this time)

Derby 2 Home: Substitute (with 20-30 mins to play)

Round12 Home: Start (Play 60 mins)

Weekend's teams' lists just came out:

Round 8: 1-2 weeks - he's ahead of schedule!  :lol:

Reckon it's almost worth letting him rest till after Asian Cup break. Why risk it? Get a fit Koren and Kennedy ready to fire after the break.

Although it would be criminal to have a bloke of his quality fit and sitting on the sidelines whilst spastics like Murdocca and Miller get a run.

Because our coach is JVS and the best we will get out of a JVS Season is a possible Derby Win.

Hull supporters labelling him a 'luxury player' is amusing. If he is a luxury player in an EPL squad, how will he fare in an A-league squad? 

Yes the A-league is underrated in terms of skill and fitness levels, but come on. I doubt he will be noticeably lazy. Paartalu and Mooy should be able to cover him. 

If he's just started running then there's no way he will be ready before February

he should still be in reasonably good shape after doing a full preseason. probably will start full training in 2 weeks and should be back in the team for the derby. 

As per the article on the club's website, they're saying he'll maybe start training week after next and then maybe play the last games before the Asian Cup break (surely this is unlikely):

Melbourne City FC’s international marquee Robert Koren is on track to make an appearance by the end of the year with Head Coach John van’t Schip wary of the midfielder’s progress.

Koren—who picked up a calf injury on the eve of the season—has worked individually on his recovery and will look to be training with the side in two weeks time.

The debilitating injury has seen Koren miss the opening rounds of the season but van’t Schip is happy with the way the former Slovenian captain is tracking.

“We’re pleased with how his progression is going,” van’t Schip said.

“After the Brisbane game we can start working. Maybe he can be involved in the last games before the break (vs. Victory, Perth, Newcastle and Central Coast)”

The Dutchman is wary of bringing back his marquee man too early, saying Koren will only come back into the fray when he is fully fit.

“He’s been out for six weeks so we have to build him up again in his training just with the team,” van’t Schip said.

“We have to make sure when he comes back, he’ll be in a good shape to help the team.”

Edited by Kinnibari

As per the article on the club's website, they're saying he'll maybe start training week after next and then maybe play the last games before the Asian Cup break (surely this is unlikely):

Melbourne City FC’s international marquee Robert Koren is on track to make an appearance by the end of the year with Head Coach John van’t Schip wary of the midfielder’s progress.

Koren—who picked up a calf injury on the eve of the season—has worked individually on his recovery and will look to be training with the side in two weeks time.

The debilitating injury has seen Koren miss the opening rounds of the season but van’t Schip is happy with the way the former Slovenian captain is tracking.

“We’re pleased with how his progression is going,” van’t Schip said.

“After the Brisbane game we can start working. Maybe he can be involved in the last games before the break (vs. Victory, Perth, Newcastle and Central Coast)”

The Dutchman is wary of bringing back his marquee man too early, saying Koren will only come back into the fray when he is fully fit.

“He’s been out for six weeks so we have to build him up again in his training just with the team,” van’t Schip said.

“We have to make sure when he comes back, he’ll be in a good shape to help the team.”

"The Dutchman is wary of bringing back his marquee man too early."

Forget about him for now, too much bullshit about someone who's never fucking played for us. Sick of it. Talk about Melling or Mooy or Paartalu and how they're going.

I hope we get rid of JVS before Koren is fit. Then we will have the 3 best players in this league (Koren, Duff, Mooy) and a competent manager. 100% we will win the grand final. The key is getting rid of JVS first though. Oh shit, factor in Kennedy as well. Will be too easy for us.

I hope we get rid of JVS before Koren is fit. Then we will have the 3 best players in this league (Koren, Duff, Mooy) and a competent manager. 100% we will win the grand final. The key is getting rid of JVS first though. Oh shit, factor in Kennedy as well. Will be too easy for us.

Then you realise we have the same shit defence!

I suppose if the players you mention score more than what our defenders concede then it doesn't matter as much, but as it stands we're on track to have the worst defence record in A-league history!!

Then you realise we have the same shit defence!

I suppose if the players you mention score more than what our defenders concede then it doesn't matter as much, but as it stands we're on track to have the worst defence record in A-league history!!

A competent manager will organise the defence far better, to the extent that I don't think it would be a big problem any more.

Didn't see the group out there training this morning, but I did see Koren doing some work with one of the trainers.

It was mostly ball work, with a bit of passing and skill work like dribbling, crossovers, etc...

A little bit of light running with some stretching too, but nothing strenuous.

Importantly, he seemed to be moving quite freely without discomfort.

I don't think he is far away now, maybe another couple of weeks... If that assumption is right, then the question is whether they will risk him before the break or not.

Normally i wouldn't think so, but given the pressure JvS and the club is on now, I can see how tempting it would be to rush him in.

Didn't see the group out there training this morning, but I did see Koren doing some work with one of the trainers.

It was mostly ball work, with a bit of passing and skill work like dribbling, crossovers, etc...

I don't think he is far away now, maybe another couple of weeks... If that assumption is right, then the question is whether they will risk him before the break or not.

Normally i wouldn't think so, but given the pressure JvS and the club is on now, I can see how tempting it would be to rush him in.

Did you boo anyway?

• Like 1

Did you boo anyway?

lol... nice!

Hope hes not the new Harry Kewell.... 35 y.o. getting a calf injury which is an old mans injury.... eeeeeeeeeeeeek. we never ever have luck with our marquee signings, probably coz they are all in their mid 30s (fred, engelaar, koren)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEP I WAS RIGHT. Who's in charge of deciding to recruit old veterans. Scott Munn?? sack him! I know A-League aint the best league in the world but surely we can recruit a decent 29 y.o. like janko given our owners....

Btw have we top loaded Korens contract (2 year contract) so next year he aint our marquee next season, freeing up the signing of another international marquee?? I hope to god so. Cant imagine this guy being our marquee next season if he can barely get on the park this one

• Like 1

Did you boo anyway?

lol... nice!

in all seriousness were any of the players there? Apparently the media have been trying to get interviews with anyone and the club keeps knocking them back which is a little curious