Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Falastur if you do end up making it to a game let me know so I can buy you a beer. Easily the most level-headed and respecful Man City fan on here

The majority of the City guys posting on here seem level headed.

I beleive thats because we dont have a supiority complex like let say United cross town. :)   Me personally i do agree melbourne need its own identity and i cant see CFG ripping that apart However i do see the benefits to establish a specific brand and simlilarites cross all clubs. the sponsors agreements and global appeal that comes with it i just to large not take advantage off.  Remember until 6 months ago no one outsiee Austriala knew about hearts now the entire football word knows about you. this from a business and recruiting payers point of view is massive .. 

In the end im sure everyone will be happy and we can look forward to an amazing advanture together with fans from all parts of the world 

Malloy yeah there's definitely a few, but there has still been plenty of "four year history means nothing" types as well. And Dylan, we're rich now. No more Albury for us! It's pure Wodonga for here on!

Wodonga is rich with ferals and inbreds, that's probably about it tbh

The reason they're doing it is to try and attract old Magic/Giants/Titans fans. Simple as that. If the Victards ceased to exist, would you be surprised to see us change our name to Melbourne United? ;)

That's exactly why they'd be doing it. The rivalries were so strong at the time (I myself was a Magic supporter) that there would have been very few fans of the opposition teams that would have been wiling to support the Tigers.

That being said, I don't think this approach will work either. The NBL has unfortunately been a dead man walking for some time now, it may continue walking for a few more years but it's not going to get any better.

So part two is up. Nothing much said about us at

All. Pretty much only said, it's another exciting oppurtunity that we hope we wil make it a commercial and in feild success.

Annoyed nothing was said about Thursdays press conference :P

Edited by Dylan

All. Pretty much only said, it's another exciting oppurtunity that we hope we wil make it a commercial and in feild success.

True. but you got a nice view how City operates and their plans..  Enough to know Melbourne is in good hands 

I'd expect then that CFG change the name to Yokohama City FC and play them in a light blue home jersey then.

They already play in (a darker) blue.

so does Chelsea, if we are to give up our colours then I expect consistency

Well, if City had bought the club rather than invest a minority share, then maybe they would. But they haven't, so they won't.

Yokohama will play in whatever colours Nissan want them to play in.. CFG just got a minority stake ffs ;)

Just an afterthought, given that I got a feeling that I´m getting to recognise the CFG modus operandi.. It´s not like Nissan is a big landowner in Melbourne or something similar?

Edited by M13
  • Like 1

Falastur if you do end up making it to a game let me know so I can buy you a beer. Easily the most level-headed and respecful Man City fan on here

Haha. Thanks, although I agree with Malloy that pretty much all the City fans here have been saying the same things with their comments, so I don't think I am any more deserving that the others. I'm never one to turn down a drink offer though - although make it a Coke, as I actually am teetotal.

I will reemphasise that, while I would love to come to Melbourne and take in a game, I am earning a fairly poor wage and flights aren't cheap. It's a possibility, but I have to be realistic and say it may well never work out.

Just for a different perspective on the matter, firstly it is true that the owners of man city are top notch when it comes to things regarding man city. We can only hope that the same attention and care is taken with heart. Reality is that heart is not the main club. Cfg is unproven in what it will do with a smaller club that is attached to their main club. I know everyone from Manchester that comments on here is full of praise, but that has come because of an assumption that cfg will put in the same level of attention to detail to heart that they have with city. Fact is no one actually knows if they will regardless of what's been said. So while I appreciate the positive vibe from Manchester supporters I'm still reserved as to what will happen. But hoping for the best.

• Like 2

Yokohama will play in whatever colours Nissan want them to play in.. CFG just got a minority stake ffs ;)

Just an afterthought, given that I got a feeling that I´m getting to recognise the CFG modus operandi.. It´s not like Nissan is a big landowner in Melbourne or something similar?

Niaasn are lucky to sell cars here 

I'd expect then that CFG change the name to Yokohama City FC and play them in a light blue home jersey then.

They already play in (a darker) blue.

so does Chelsea, if we are to give up our colours then I expect consistency

Well, if City had bought the club rather than invest a minority share, then maybe they would. But they haven't, so they won't.

then make the blue 20% lighter then :)

Fully sick skylines bro?

Fully sick skylines bro?

Driften silvias

I didn't really expect anything more than we heard. We have to look at this in terms of the magnitude of the various investments CFG are making both in the football and commercial areas. They've put (in ball-park figures) around A$10m into Heart, and around US$100m into New York City, so we're not going to be all that high on their list of priorities.

Apart from making key appointments, setting us up with marquees and academy facilities, and sharing other football aspects, IMO they will expect us to run ourselves. If we don't deliver to their standards then they will step in and make whatever changes they want - they will not let any one particular CFG venture drag them down.

I am expecting some kit changes - IMO that's both understandable and inevitable - but I doubt that we're going to see interference in daily activities. But I'm expecting to see arse getting kicked at Heart HQ if standards are allowed to drop.

how could standards drop any further?

I agree that they can't go much lower, so IMO there's enormous pressure on key people at Bunker Latrobe. If there is not visible improvement from now on I expect to see changes being imposed.

TBH I'm surprised some people have survived.

You could be perth and pretty much sack your entire and experienced coaching staff and employ Burns and McGarry to overtake their roles with no experience? 

You could be Heart and pretty much sack your entire coaching staff and employ Aloisi and Foxe to overtake their roles with no experience?

You could be perth and pretty much sack your entire and experienced coaching staff and employ Burns and McGarry to overtake their roles with no experience? 

You could be Heart and pretty much sack your entire coaching staff and employ Aloisi and Foxe to overtake their roles with no experience?

Standards have improved since then. (thankfully)

I agree that they can't go much lower, so IMO there's enormous pressure on key people at Bunker Latrobe. If there is not visible improvement from now on I expect to see changes being imposed.

Well to be honest, all along you've been the leading voice for sacking pretty much everyone. I think it's fair to say your overall outlook is pretty negative. But perhaps just take their words and actions at face value. Like when they say that they've looked at the club and our vision etc sits easily with the values they've instilled throughout the organisation. They haven't changed much because the way we already go about things is compatible with what they do. I'm sure they've basically said that. And that it's part of the reason they decided to buy us. It's always seemed apparent to me that what's needed isn't a cleanout, but more resources, better facilities, more staff, and more expertise in some areas. But the people we've got, by and large, do a very good job.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Well to be honest, all along you've been the leading voice for sacking pretty much everyone. I think it's fair to say your overall outlook is pretty negative. But perhaps just take their words and actions at face value. Like when they say that they've looked at the club and our vision etc sits easily with the values they've instilled throughout the organisation. They haven't changed much because the way we already go about things is compatible with what they do. I'm sure they've basically said that. And that it's part of the reason they decided to buy us. It's always seemed apparent to me that what's needed isn't a cleanout, but more resources, better facilities, more staff, and more expertise in some areas. But the people we've got, by and large, do a very good job.

By what metric "are they doing a very good job?"

I don't think many people realise how much of an oily rag the club was run on under the previous owners and therefore, how hard it made it. Besides the new owners obviously think some are good at their job because they are still employed. They would be much better at judging that than us keyboard warriors.  Also, accounts from Yarraside members who deal with Munn on here, have mainly said he has been very good for the active support of this club. 

I suppose that CFG have to make a judgement between incompetent staff (in which case sack them) or competent staff operating in a financial straightjacket under the Sidwell regime. It sounds like their judgement is the patter rather than the former. Who am I to know for sure that they are wrong.

No metric. Just observing from the outside over the last 4 years like everyone else. There have been mistakes, and maybe I'm being a bit kind, but the one unequivocally stupid thing the club has done was to employ an L plate coach, which was then compounded by cutting spending at the same time. A lot of problems flowed from that. And ultimately, that was a board decision. The new owners have backed our people and we'll see how they go with better resources and support.

Edit: I still think they'll probably bring in a new CEO though. I imagine we'll have a larger organisation and more ambitious goals which might need someone new to run it.

Edited by Sash