Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Why on earth do you believe it´s likely to happen?

It's not necessarily likely, but it's an intruiging possibility. When AD announced he was stepping down as CEO of the AFL, he was originally going to see out the rest of the year. But they made the changeover earlier than originally planned, and seemingly at least partly because he wanted to depart earlier, and coincidentally, at a time when Heart's new owners are putting things in place for next season.

He's incredibly well credentialled, and knows the landscape in Melbourne as much as anyone. In fact, he's over-qualified to be a CEO of an A League club. But as this is becoming a global football brand, if City were looking to bring in an experienced, knowledgable, and IMO very accomplished sports administrator as part of it's operations, particularly if they want an Australian perspective, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have sounded him out. The AFL has really led the way in Australia in terms of professionalism compared to the NRL, Rugby Union and the A League in recent years. (Although there have been a few issues recently which have blemished the leagues reputation.)

Edited by Sash

Stoked, but disappointed in City group and their lies. It's condescending to have said they don't want a Cardiff situation and they "understand our passion for red and white".

Understanding the passion does not mean had to keep the colours

Stoked, but disappointed in City group and their lies. It's condescending to have said they don't want a Cardiff situation and they "understand our passion for red and white". 

Yeah that for has now totally changed my opinion  of them.

I want this club to succeed, but not any cost, so a big  F    U    C   K      Y   O  U to the shiekh.

Sorry thats how I feel about them right now

and their comment that we'll stay red and white for as long as we're passionate as if a time will come when we won't be...yeah keep dreaming of that time.

• Like 3

Then why are they so damn ambiguous about it?

We all know what emotions those statements were meant to evoke and what they were meant to make us believe. Defend them all you want but they're treating us like idiots here. If they intend to change our home strip then they can't pretend like they're respecting our wishes or understanding our passion because the majority of Heart fans don't want these changes.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

We all know what emotions those statements were meant to evoke and what they were meant to make us believe. Defend them all you want but they're treating us like idiots here. If they intend to change our home strip then they can't pretend like they're respecting our wishes or understanding our passion because the majority of Heart fans don't want these changes.

Exactly. Don't say you understand our passion then change the colours anyway. I don't appreciate being treated like a mug, I preferred our previous regime's ineptitude to the current regime's callousness.

Caddy, I think they wanted to keep red and white for the away strip and include it in the badge. I think that's what they considered the compromise.

It will be interesting to see if the club can use sky blue in an away strip.

Changing the name and the away strip is more than enough compromise.

• Like 1

As I have said numerous times. Everything they have said has been carefully worded. It is the fans who have (mis)interpreted what city have said by taking it to mean what they want it to mean.

• Like 3

We all know what emotions those statements were meant to evoke and what they were meant to make us believe. Defend them all you want but they're treating us like idiots here. If they intend to change our home strip then they can't pretend like they're respecting our wishes or understanding our passion because the majority of Heart fans don't want these changes. As I have said numerous times. Everything they have said has been carefully worded. It is the fans who have (mis)interpreted what city have said by taking it to mean what they want it to mean.

This

As I have said numerous times. Everything they have said has been carefully worded. It is the fans who have (mis)interpreted what city have said by taking it to mean what they want it to mean.

I get that, but my problem is that by doing that they're treating us like idiots.

Do they assume we won't remember how they worded all of this if (likely when) they eventually get their way?

I'd actually be less infuriated if they came out and said something along the lines of "We understand you're passionate about your colours and identity. While we acknowledge and respect that passion we do intend to make several changes to the name, badge and kit of the football club. Although these changes may seem dramatic when made we will attempt to pay homage to the initial roots of the club via a traditional red and white striped kit for away games and the presence of red in the badge" (clearly they'd word it better than that mind you).

Sure people would kick off, but they'll kick off more if they feel they've been mislead the whole time. Deliberately wording statements to give the fans a feeling of ease and trust when you're going to rip that out from under them anyway will do no-one any favours in the long run.

• Like 4

FFA block Melbourne Heart’s bid to change strip to sky blue after Sydney FC object

FOX SPORTS

MAY 30, 2014 12:01AM

MELBOURNE Heart’s bid to adopt the sky-blue of owners Manchester City has been dashed after an objection by Sydney FC was upheld.

Heart was taken over by the English Premier League champions near the end of the last A-League season and it was made clear they would look for their new acquisition to change their strip from red and white stripes to sky blue.

However inaugural A-League champions Sydney FC objected to the FFA, saying their club, who play in sky blue shirts and are know as the ‘Sky Blues’ had a very strong connection with the colour.

They also maintained having two teams sporting sky blue shirts in a 10-team competition was “nonsensical.”

Fairfax Media reported on Thursday night Sydney FC’s objection had been upheld by the FFA and an independent abitrator on Tuesday night.

It is still expected Heart’s new owners will try to change the name of the club to City.

Manchester City are owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group, a private equity company owned by Sheikh Mansour, who is a member of the Abu Dhabi Royal family.

The group has ambitious plans beyond City, having started an MLS club, New York City FC, from scratch. That club will also play in sky blue.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/ffa-block-melbourne-hearts-bid-to-change-strip-to-sky-blue-after-sydney-fc-object/story-fnii0fc3-1226936567828?from=public_rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cmailsport_football

• Like 1

Im not sure if thats the final say....either way designs are done for sky blue kit and red/white kit. As previously mentioned everything else is still correct.

You seem to have your sources within the club and my prediction would be that they don't reaally have an away kit so much but have two kits and use both at home next season in differerent matches. Alternating between games for example

Edited by Dylan

Funnily enough we HAVE gone a full circle.. The original takeover posts talked about changing name/badge and play in sky blue at away games :lol:

Just another day at the office for this forum. It won't be the last time! And people were complaining that it was dead quiet round here!

Edited by theresonlyonebzamora

Funnily enough we HAVE gone a full circle.. The original takeover posts talked about changing name/badge and play in sky blue at away games :lol:

Is it really full circle, or is it just "back to square one". Surely going full circle would imply that we attempted a number of other kit/name options before coming back to the sky blue/City idea?

Still, we do seem to be no closer to a resolution than we were in January...

There's no mention of "away" and "third" kit in what I've seen so far. FFA has to approve of all kits. I would have thought that Sydney's objection would have applied to the use of a full sky blue away kit as well. Further, Geelong Victory already use a part sky blue away kit do they not?

What a f****** shemozzle.

For all the talk on here about having the sky blue shirt for away games, I can't see the FFA allowing that after blocking his move. It would still infringe on what appears to be SFC's FFA supported, god given right to "öwn" the colour sky blue.

I think the talk about being in constructive talks will try to gain a compromise to allow this, but I can see SFC just being difficult and blocking that too.

The FFA have certainly made a big statement here, therefore they are going to have to be consistent. WSW should not be allowed to wear a red and white away shirt as we "öwn" that brand and MV really shouldn't have been allowed to have its away shirt from this season either, as it would also be utilising what SFC has claimed.. Technically, any colours currently used should not be doubled up again if thats the case.

Lots of interesting discussions ahead for FFA, MH and SFC :)

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 1

For all the talk on here about having the sky blue shirt for away games, I can't see the FFA allowing that after blocking his move. It would still infringe on what appears to be SFC's FFA supported, god given right to "öwn" the colour sky blue.

I think the talk about being in constructive talks will try to gain a compromise to allow this, but I can see SFC just being difficult and blocking that too.

The FFA have certainly made a big statement here, therefore they are going to have to be consistent. WSW should not be allowed to wear a red and white away shirt as we "öwn" that brand and MV really shouldn't have been allowed to have its away shirt from this season either, as it would also be utilising what SFC has claimed.. Technically, any colours currently used should not be doubled up again if thats the case.

Lots of interesting discussions ahead for FFA, MH and SFC :)

Rubbish.

Its not the color per se, its the fact that the kits proposed by CFG and the one used buy SFC are near-on identical.  Its unacceptable in a 10 team comp.

CFG can have Melb City play in sky blue and white stripes.  No-one will care.  No-one is stopping them.  Just as no-one cares that WSW away kit is red and white hoops and ours is red white stripes

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

I would say the most important thing that needs to happen now is for either Heart or FFA, or preferably both, to bother to tell us, the Heart supporters, WTF is actually going on.

I am not impressed by the management of this at all, either at a club or FFA level.

• Like 1

I would say the most important thing that needs to happen now is for either Heart or FFA, or preferably both, to bother to tell us, the Heart supporters, WTF is actually going on.

I am not impressed by the management of this at all, either at a club or FFA level.

Fully agree, it would be good if they told us what's going to happen from here on, rather than have uncertainty hang over the identity of the club for months on end again.

Although to be fair to the FFA, they might consider the matter sorted after the rather clear statement they made yesterday, and the process they went through, with the FFA rendering its verdict, an independent arbitrator giving his verdict, and the FFA having a grievance hearing with Man City. And It isn't the FFA's place really to say what Man City is planning to do, and is doing with the club.

Man City, on the other hand, weren't that clear yesterday, making ambiguous, open-to-interpretation statements, such as "The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips" and that "any decisions" made regarding the clubs identity "will be guided" by the traditions of the supporters, including their passion for red and white, "and the opportunities provided by our new ownership". Ummm, what on earth does that latter passage mean?

Hopefully they get around soon to telling us what they want to do. I agree it hasn't been impressively managed.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

BTW, I thought I had heard that final sentence before, and I was right. Melbourne Heart issued a nearly identical statement in the middle of April, when there was media speculation about the change to a sky blue jersey, saying:

”The Club doesn’t comment on media speculation. All decisions about the future of the Club will be based on respect for the traditions and ambitions of our existing fan base, as well as the opportunities provided by our new ownership,’’ the statement said.

(http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-set-to-adopt-sky-blue-home-strip-but-will-retain-red-and-white-colours-in-some-form/story-fnk6rldi-1226885736494)

So after about 6 weeks, all we've got from Melbourne Heart on this issue is around 7 new words, saying "including their passion for red and white".

Very tight-lipped, indeed.

Edited by Murfy1