Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I would say the most important thing that needs to happen now is for either Heart or FFA, or preferably both, to bother to tell us, the Heart supporters, WTF is actually going on.

I am not impressed by the management of this at all, either at a club or FFA level.

Fully agree, it would be good if they told us what's going to happen from here on, rather than have uncertainty hang over the identity of the club for months on end again.

Although to be fair to the FFA, they might consider the matter sorted after the rather clear statement they made yesterday, and the process they went through, with the FFA rendering its verdict, an independent arbitrator giving his verdict, and the FFA having a grievance hearing with Man City. And It isn't the FFA's place really to say what Man City is planning to do, and is doing with the club.

Man City, on the other hand, weren't that clear yesterday, making ambiguous, open-to-interpretation statements, such as "The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips" and that "any decisions" made regarding the clubs identity "will be guided" by the traditions of the supporters, including their passion for red and white, "and the opportunities provided by our new ownership". Ummm, what on earth does that latter passage mean?

Hopefully they get around soon to telling us what they want to do. I agree it hasn't been impressively managed.

I don't think the new owners really give a shit what the supporters think based on their actions so far, so I don't think we are ever going to get an update on the issue. It is not the FFA's job to keep us in the loop in this instance.

• Like 1

Murf, my point above was really that even in the past 2-3 days we have had to rely on one newspaper report for our information. While I'm not suggesting that the SMH has misreported anything, IMO there is an obligation on both Heart/City and FFA to actually speak directly with the fans on this issue. We don't need to know every jot and tittle, but surely we deserve more that we have got so far? So Hoffman and Redmayne are standing up against racism in football? Well, fine, but if that's worthy of a place on the web-site then surely so is the club's written statement on the colours issue?

• Like 1

Murf, my point above was really that even in the past 2-3 days we have had to rely on one newspaper report for our information. While I'm not suggesting that the SMH has misreported anything, IMO there is an obligation on both Heart/City and FFA to actually speak directly with the fans on this issue. We don't need to know every jot and tittle, but surely we deserve more that we have got so far? So Hoffman and Redmayne are standing up against racism in football? Well, fine, but if that's worthy of a place on the web-site then surely so is the club's written statement on the colours issue?

Fully agree that we deserve more info, and that both the FFA and Man City could do better. And it would be better and clearer if they spoke through their websites (or even social media). But it looks like they have consciously decided to only speak through the media regarding this particular matter, if they are happen to speak about this issue at all (and their preferences seems to be to speak as little as possible on the matter).

Although I think they are different. I think the FFA has just about communicated all you can really expect from it (although maybe a bit more would be useful), whereas Melbourne Heart have been very tight-lipped, pretty much issuing one statement twice, verbatim, with only a few extra words in the second edition with City acknowledging the supporters passion for the red and white.

I think the Sebastian Hassett and the media here have done a pretty good and reliable job, and I think we at least know the outline of this story, and how things have unfolded. So I think we're decently informed. However, we're completely in the dark as to the future, and whether this saga will roll on for months or years until City change a football jersey from red and white to sky blue. That is what we need to know, and should know, whether this will roll on, or if things are settled, at least for next season (and a simple jersey presentation for next season would put everything to rest and give us full certainty). 

Hopefully they stop treating us like children and just honestly tell us what will happen with the club's identity next season (and beyond, as well, preferably).

This story of a successful Sydney protest is the best news I've heard in months!

Of course they would fight hard.  Sky Blue has been the colour of evil in Australia since 1857.  I doubt this is the last round but hopefully Sydney can come through (can't believe I said that!).  If CFG take their bat and ball and go home (as "the sheikh" has suggested), well I for one will wave them off at the airport.  If sky blue meant so much to them that they would pack up over this, they should have bought Sydney FC and don't give me this "not for sale" nonsense - everything's for sale - at the right price.  Quite simply they didn't do their due diligence on the colours before they came to Australia and this despite having local partners.

CFG haven't exactly covered themselves in glory since they arrived.  i hope they lift their game soon.

Giving periodic updates doesn't really work in business. If City were, for example, to come out and say "we have been informed that a change to sky blue for the home kit is inviable, however we believe that we could still arrange to use the kit for our away shirt next season" then Sydney would have their lawyers filing complaints aimed at cutting this avenue off before the day was out.

Similarly, I agree with M13 in that I suspect there's an element of managing the publicity involved. When stuff like this gets leaked, it diminishes the resultant hype when it's announced. It's my opinion that City want to have a grand launch in the press, and they don't want peoples first reactions to be "you told us that the kit would have blue stripes weeks ago", or such. Just my take, anyway.

As for the lack of fan consultation, I am disappointed, though I wonder if they plan in mirroring NYCFC by letting fans vote on a new badge. Speculation only.

We did say City are secretive, unfortunately. They do care about the fans, but at the same time they don't like interrupting or derailing their own meticulously-planned PR campaigns (let's face it, back in England they're used to an overwhelmingly anti-City media who will rip into any mistake they make) by consulting on every step. There is an element of "daddy knows best" about City - the thing is, they've got it right enough times in Manchester that most of us are quite willing to agree that daddy does indeed know best.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

Giving periodic updates doesn't really work in business. If City were, for example, to come out and say "we have been informed that a change to sky blue for the home kit is inviable, however we believe that we could still arrange to use the kit for our away shirt next season" then Sydney would have their lawyers filing complaints aimed at cutting this avenue off before the day was out.

Similarly, I agree with M13 in that I suspect there's an element of managing the publicity involved. When stuff like this gets leaked, it diminishes the resultant hype when it's announced. It's my opinion that City want to have a grand launch in the press, and they don't want peoples first reactions to be "you told us that the kit would have blue stripes weeks ago", or such. Just my take, anyway.

As for the lack of fan consultation, I am disappointed, though I wonder if they plan in mirroring NYCFC by letting fans vote on a new badge. Speculation only.

We did say City are secretive, unfortunately. They do care about the fans, but at the same time they don't like interrupting or derailing their own meticulously-planned PR campaigns (let's face it, back in England they're used to an overwhelmingly anti-City media who will rip into any mistake they make) by consulting on every step. There is an element of "daddy knows best" about City - the thing is, they've got it right enough times in Manchester that most of us are quite willing to agree that daddy does indeed know best.

I take your point Falustur.

But this isn't a periodic update on a business plan. It's not about telling the world what we are thinking of doing or want to do, or giving away secrets or spilling the beans on sensitive player negotiations or whatever. This is something that has been definitively reported on in the Sydney Morning Herald, and that the club (Heart) has issued a statement on. Who that statement was issued to - presumably the "media" - is my point. If it's a public statement, then surely issue it to our "members"?

It's just my opinion, and probably doesn't count for much, but I see this as an opportunity - an opportunity for Heart and City to take Heart fans with the club on the journey ahead, rather than leave them in the dark. We have heard virtually nothing from our club for over four months now.

If it's a public statement, then surely issue it to our "members"?

It's just my opinion, and probably doesn't count for much, but I see this as an opportunity - an opportunity for Heart and City to take Heart fans with the club on the journey ahead, rather than leave them in the dark. We have heard virtually nothing from our club for over four months now.

This is exactly the problem, we are 'members' not members, and unlike our (mostly) thoughtful English forum posters who are true club members, the franchise has no accountability to us at all as customers, no need to inform us of anything. We can read about it in the press just like anyone else. It would be helpful for CFG to read some Australian cultural history to understand the resonances here rather than assume that the Manchester model will just transplant unaltered here, it really feels like Heart has been colonised.

This is exactly the problem, we are 'members' not members, and unlike our (mostly) thoughtful English forum posters who are true club members, the franchise has no accountability to us at all as customers, no need to inform us of anything. We can read about it in the press just like anyone else. It would be helpful for CFG to read some Australian cultural history to understand the resonances here rather than assume that the Manchester model will just transplant unaltered here, it really feels like Heart has been colonised.

That would also be true if you were a member of the Essendon Football Club or any other AFL club. Correspondence to members does not happen on a daily basis and nor does it include every topic that a member would like to air. Admittedly, CFG should do better with their communications to interested parties that would include current STH (I am not sure whether the season just gone by still enables me to call myself a STH). And you are also right that Australian sporting cultural history could well be unique.

I take your point Falustur.

But this isn't a periodic update on a business plan. It's not about telling the world what we are thinking of doing or want to do, or giving away secrets or spilling the beans on sensitive player negotiations or whatever. This is something that has been definitively reported on in the Sydney Morning Herald, and that the club (Heart) has issued a statement on. Who that statement was issued to - presumably the "media" - is my point. If it's a public statement, then surely issue it to our "members"?

If I were running things, I would agree with you. I'm not claiming that what City is doing is the best thing for all involved. I'm just trying to make a bitter pill slightly easier to swallow by helping you all to understand the logic behind it. I'm not even sure if I'm being successful, but I'm trying. If you still feel upset afterwards then I respect that, and I agree with it. But it is as it is.

• Like 1

That would also be true if you were a member of the Essendon Football Club or any other AFL club. Correspondence to members does not happen on a daily basis and nor does it include every topic that a member would like to air. Admittedly, CFG should do better with their communications to interested parties that would include current STH (I am not sure whether the season just gone by still enables me to call myself a STH). And you are also right that Australian sporting cultural history could well be unique.

No I don't expect daily communication on every issue but I don't think that a franchise - customer relationship comes with the same club - club member obligations/expectations.

I know you mean no accountability in the sense that we don't have a say in how the club is run, voting rights etc.

But with no fans there is no club. The FFA's knows this all too well with the Gold Coast debacle, and the opposite they achieved with WSW

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

@ Falastur.  i read your post on Blue Moon about how CFG hasn't had it all its own way in New York as well.  You questioned if if this movement in to other markets is worth the hassle.

FWIW I think it *can* be worth it.  But here is where CFG are getting it wrong: they are simply transplanting Manchester's identity into major foreign cities, and expecting the locals to be starry-eyed and grateful, all the while giving lip-service to respecting the local fans and club.

Thats not how football works. Football is tribal.  And as proud as you might be as Manchurians, WE are not Manchurians.  Yes MCFC is light years in front of us as a football club.  But it is our football club.

The way forward?  Firstly, I think its already well known here that MCFC owns MH and NYCFC.  I think it reasonable that there by a sky blue kit as an away kit, and if we play in Asia.  And a name change to Melb City I could accept-in fact I wanted it before our club was actually named.

@ Falastur.  i read your post on Blue Moon about how CFG hasn't had it all its own way in New York as well.  You questioned if if this movement in to other markets is worth the hassle.

FWIW I think it *can* be worth it.  But here is where CFG are getting it wrong: they are simply transplanting Manchester's identity into major foreign cities, and expecting the locals to be starry-eyed and grateful, all the while giving lip-service to respecting the local fans and club.

Thats not how football works. Football is tribal.  And as proud as you might be as Manchurians, WE are not Manchurians.  Yes MCFC is light years in front of us as a football club.  But it is our football club.

The way forward?  Firstly, I think its already well known here that MCFC owns MH and NYCFC.  I think it reasonable that there by a sky blue kit as an away kit, and if we play in Asia.  And a name change to Melb City I could accept-in fact I wanted it before our club was actually named.

What exactly has not gone CFGs way in NYCFC?  i follow that "project" deeply and cant say i agree with that assumption   If you're reffering to the stadum than i can say this, CFG will do something not many other have been able to do, build a stadium in the actual city.  

What exactly has not gone CFGs way in NYCFC?  i follow that "project" deeply and cant say i agree with that assumption   If you're reffering to the stadum than i can say this, CFG will do something not many other have been able to do, build a stadium in the actual city.  

I don't follow it at all, just read it here:

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=296381&start=730

I agree with you per Melbourne - things could've gone much more City's way if they'd not decided to change things. But New York is a completely different story. In NYC, people with no interest in football at all are simply trying to shoot down the entire franchise because they can't handle people proposing to add new infrastructure to their city. Successive Mayors of the city have stated in public that they oppose any stadia being built anywhere within city limits - this is an issue as, due to the rivalry with out-of-town New York Red Bulls, NYCFC's very identity has been built on the promise that the club will only play inside the city, so being told that an inner-city stadium is out of the question is a major issue. In return, the club has been forced to agree to us Yankee Stadium, which is a baseball stadium built in completely the wrong shape and is causing the club some headaches, in addition to a lot of mockery. It doesn't help that MLS rules say clubs can't be added unless they have a "Soccer-Specific Stadium" already lined up, so NYCFC is being hounded for having breached these rules.

On top of all of this, they're trying to arrange a training base - they've agreed to at least take this out of the city for the same reason they can't build a stadium in the city - which, again, has caused some mockery and some outrage in equal proportions, and they had agreed a $5m deal to do essentially what it's been rumoured CFG will do at LaTrobe by completely renovating the facilities of Manhattanville University. MU had gone on record to say how important the deal was to their continued existence, and how it could change the fortunes of the uni. A few weeks later, and some local residents organisation announces that they're suing the club and the University because of "traffic concerns" - claiming that the cars of the players and coaches would ruin the rural environment, because, you know, all of about 20-30 cars going in and out once a day is going to totally destroy the area. Because of this court case, NYCFC has been forced to rip up their contract with Manhattanville, who are understandably upset at what they have just lost.

Any one or two of these things would be ignorable, but the fact that all of this has happened, all in the space of 12 months, just feels like enough damage to shake anyone's confidence in their chances of success.

It should be noted that I have a tendency to see the negatives in things and to blow things out of proportion sometimes, but seriously...I don't think I'm imagining it when I say that this must be causing quite some concern to CFG at the moment.

Edited by Falastur

Falastur.. It took Yankees ten years and more than 20 planning applications to get their stadium built, we haven´t even started to seriously push for a stadium in New York yet because the new mayor wants all discussions on hold until he have settled down B)

So they way things are panning out CFG won't be able to come in and go bang bang bang and create an elite state of the art head turner. From what is now pretty evident both here and New York they must consult and really appreciate the local issues and mentality before deciding on any grand plans.

Having said that I don't doubt that the end result will be truly amazing, it's just going to take a lot longer than they first calculated. CFG need to really make their next move/s totally positive. Up until now apart from the initial time of Heart being sold there hasn't been much to sing about.

Major signings will definitely change things, but I'm really puzzled about how things have been handled over the last 4 months.

• Like 1

Falastur..I´m fairly confident it will be done.. and absolutely confident that it will be swinishly expensive in the end because NYCFC will have to pay off everyone.
But having the only soccer stadium in New York City might very well be worth it in the long run.
Just look how MSG have cashed in during decades having the only Ice-Hockey/Basketball/Indoor arena in NYC.

Edited by M13

Falastur..I´m fairly confident it will be done.. and absolutely confident that it will be swinishly expensive in the end because NYCFC will have to pay off everyone.

But having the only soccer stadium in New York City might very well be worth it in the long run.

Just look how MSG have cashed in during decades having the only Ice-Hockey/Basketball/Indoor arena in NYC.

I think it'll happen too. I just think it'll take far too long and include many more setbacks with regards to finding a stadium/training location we don't get hounded out of, and I think it's going to wind me the heck up. But such is the way of things.

Edited by Falastur

So they way things are panning out CFG won't be able to come in and go bang bang bang and create an elite state of the art head turner. From what is now pretty evident both here and New York they must consult and really appreciate the local issues and mentality before deciding on any grand plans.

Having said that I don't doubt that the end result will be truly amazing, it's just going to take a lot longer than they first calculated. CFG need to really make their next move/s totally positive. Up until now apart from the initial time of Heart being sold there hasn't been much to sing about.

Major signings will definitely change things, but I'm really puzzled about how things have been handled over the last 4 months.

Good post Jovan. TBH I don't think too much has gone wrong here in Melbourne. I'd point to the lack of information being fed out to fans as being the main problem, and this has allowed the negatives of uncertainties such as the colours issue to become the main topic of discussions. Communications from the old Heart were not much chop anyway, and the silence from CFG has been a wrong approach IMO, and so people are dwelling on what they see as the disbenefits of being owned by City and not the benefits. Coming on top of two wretched seasons and a couple of re-signings that didn't inspire a lot of confidence in the future, and it's all become doom and gloom. Compounded, I might add, that we have such a long off-season that there's not much to take our minds off the negatives.

We don't have a stadium issue here, and if City are happy with developing at Latrobe Uni there's plenty of space there and my reading of the situation there is that there's little likelihood of any NIMBY issue.

You're dead right that the next moves here need to be positive. What we need now is to fill the remaining 6-7 places on our 23-man roster with some quality players including our two marquees, and add the cream of someone like Villa as a guest player, and the mood of Heart fans will swing round completely.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Frank Lampard signs for New York City on a free transfer - with David Villa set to join him

Frank Lampard has agreed a free transfer to New York City - and Atletico Madrid marksman David Villa is set to join him.

The highly-decorated ex-Chelsea midfielder and the Spanish title-winning striker were at Manchester City's Carrington complex on Saturday to complete the internal formalities of their respective moves.

Lampard and Villa met with Jason Kreis, installed as New York City Head Coach back in January by the Premier League champions' Chief Executive Officer Ferran Soriano. Lampard broke off from his preparations with England for the World Cup to sort out his move.

Both deals are a huge statement of intent from City's US franchise which kicks off in the new Major League Soccer season next March.Lampard is understood to be have agreed to a basic wage significantly less than the £150,000-a-week that he picked up at Chelsea.

That pay packet is expected to be boosted substantially by bonuses however with the England midfielder's signing a massive coup.

Lampard's decision to quit London for the Big Apple signals the end of his 13-year association with the club he joined from West Ham for £11million in 2001.

Since then the 35-year-old midfielder has clinched three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups, the Champions League and the Europa League.

Chelsea's record scorer with 211 goals, Lampard has rejected a 12-month extension at Stamford Bridge after making 40 appearances in all competitions last season.

New York's capture of Villa is another massive coup with 32-year-old fresh from helping Atletico beat Barcelona and Real Madrid to the Spanish title.

Villa, who scored 13 goals last season, is also set to fly out to Brazil shortly for the World Cup with Spain, who are among the favourites.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/frank-lampard-signs-new-york-3631083

Gee, pretty sweet news ... for this New York team. :rolleyes: I reckon the will top these two off with an North American 'Designated player' (or w.e the fk its called).

Strong speculations at this stage but there has been absolutely zero to deny it or say otherwise, so looks inevitable.

I'm just really, really hoping the media have fucked up and one of these two is really coming to Melbourne :D  :D  :D

I remember how excited I was when the news about the takeover broke. And then reading all the posts here from Man City fans saying how great these new owners are. And I remember believing the statements about consultation and listening.

The first seed of doubt was probably that survey that barely touched on any potential changes that might occur. But nah, surely that was just the first step and there would be follow up surveys and such?

But with no one seeking supporters opinions, we took the initiative to make our voices heard on the colours issue, which was fantastic. We heard the odd general statement about understanding the supporters passion and trying to avoid a Cardiff situation. But all the while, they were preparing an application which would've had us playing home games in sky blue shirts and white shorts as well as being called Melbourne City. And we wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for Sydney FC's objections and Sebastian Hasset's reporting on it.

Let me make this clear. The problem isn't the lack of communication. It's that they tried to change our colours even though it was the one thing the supporters were clear about that we wanted to keep.

Now I can't speak for other supporters, but for me, there was so much good will towards these owners a few months ago which has now evaporated. They could've had my enthusiastic support if they went about things in a better way. Now I feel in opposition to them. I continue to refer to them as 'them' and not 'us'. The thing is, I don't need to be constantly updated on all developments, I just need to feel as if I can trust them to do the right thing by us. And I don't. I feel like they've taken us for granted and arrogantly thought that a few big signings will smooth the waters.

For some it might, but like I've said before, if I don't feel a connection to the club and it's owners, no signings are going to make the difference. The thing I'm glad about is that we have supporters who have been passionate enough to stand up and continue to make their voices heard. From here, the owners have got work to do if they're interested in earning back my allegiance and respect.

What Drama queen you are.  (you are not supposed to support the owners but the team)

I remember how excited I was when the news about the takeover broke. And then reading all the posts here from Man City fans saying how great these new owners are. And I remember believing the statements about consultation and listening.

The first seed of doubt was probably that survey that barely touched on any potential changes that might occur. But nah, surely that was just the first step and there would be follow up surveys and such?

But with no one seeking supporters opinions, we took the initiative to make our voices heard on the colours issue, which was fantastic. We heard the odd general statement about understanding the supporters passion and trying to avoid a Cardiff situation. But all the while, they were preparing an application which would've had us playing home games in sky blue shirts and white shorts as well as being called Melbourne City. And we wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for Sydney FC's objections and Sebastian Hasset's reporting on it.

Let me make this clear. The problem isn't the lack of communication. It's that they tried to change our colours even though it was the one thing the supporters were clear about that we wanted to keep.

Now I can't speak for other supporters, but for me, there was so much good will towards these owners a few months ago which has now evaporated. They could've had my enthusiastic support if they went about things in a better way. Now I feel in opposition to them. I continue to refer to them as 'them' and not 'us'. The thing is, I don't need to be constantly updated on all developments, I just need to feel as if I can trust them to do the right thing by us. And I don't. I feel like they've taken us for granted and arrogantly thought that a few big signings will smooth the waters.

For some it might, but like I've said before, if I don't feel a connection to the club and it's owners, no signings are going to make the difference. The thing I'm glad about is that we have supporters who have been passionate enough to stand up and continue to make their voices heard. From here, the owners have got work to do if they're interested in earning back my allegiance and respect.

What Drama queen you are.  (you are not supposed to support the owners but the team)

What a clown you are!

He is supporting his team and the colours are an important part of that.

If our colours had tried to be changed to red and white us City fans would also have been up in arms about it.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

Fully agree that we deserve more info, and that both the FFA and Man City could do better. And it would be better and clearer if they spoke through their websites (or even social media). But it looks like they have consciously decided to only speak through the media regarding this particular matter, if they are happen to speak about this issue at all (and their preferences seems to be to speak as little as possible on the matter).

Although I think they are different. I think the FFA has just about communicated all you can really expect from it (although maybe a bit more would be useful), whereas Melbourne Heart have been very tight-lipped, pretty much issuing one statement twice, verbatim, with only a few extra words in the second edition with City acknowledging the supporters passion for the red and white.

I think the Sebastian Hassett and the media here have done a pretty good and reliable job, and I think we at least know the outline of this story, and how things have unfolded. So I think we're decently informed. However, we're completely in the dark as to the future, and whether this saga will roll on for months or years until City change a football jersey from red and white to sky blue. That is what we need to know, and should know, whether this will roll on, or if things are settled, at least for next season (and a simple jersey presentation for next season would put everything to rest and give us full certainty). 

Hopefully they stop treating us like children and just honestly tell us what will happen with the club's identity next season (and beyond, as well, preferably).

Murfy I can only assume the reference to the strips is because that the FFA must sanction all strip changes. If the name is changing from Heart to City and the badge is changing then I suspect these have also got to be sanctioned by the FFA.

Hopefully the way CFG have handled the colour situation will make them repent and start involving the fans from this day forward.

As a City fan I am very pissed of and disappointed of how they have gone about their business in Melbourne so far.

What a clown you are!

If our colours had tried to be changed to red and white us City fans would also have been up in arms about it.

But the very fact is, the colours will NOT be changed so why keep moaning about it.  Im not sure city fans would moan half as much if city changed colours 5 years into its existenes, after all city have changed colours through history and as we all can see it worked out pretty well in the end. 

What a clown you are!

But the very fact is, the colours will NOT be changed so why keep moaning about it.  Im not sure city fans would moan half as much if city changed colours 5 years into its existenes, after all city have changed colours through history and as we all can see it worked out pretty well in the end. 

Are you intentionally being antagonistic or do you genuinely still not get it?

What a clown you are!

The game was completely different back then so don't talk rubbish mate.

These days colours do matter to all football fans wherever they are.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

Stop being difficult mate.  And stop being a sook.  How dare you want to hold onto the things that made you support the club in the first place?  You should be grateful that the club you have supported has been totally wiped out.  Don't you want to win at all costs?  :P

All of this was so predicatble as soon as the sale happened.  Did people really expect to get listened too? :lol:  

Expected not to be lied to but hey.... these days it's just too common.

Why not say " we intend to turn this club into mini Manchester city playing in blue and we don't care that most of you won't like it.

Why say totally opposite ???

Expected not to be lied to but hey.... these days it's just too common.

Why not say " we intend to turn this club into mini Manchester city playing in blue and we don't care that most of you won't like it.

Why say totally opposite ???

Because most people are sheep and as long as their house prices go up/they can afford the latest nike trainers/porn is free then they will accept what they are told.