Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Overall, I was very happy with the email. The home shirt is really the only thing that I don't love. And there were some nice little touches, which can hopefully be taken as an olive branch from the ownership (e.g. Villa posing with the red shirt, rather than the new home shirt). A big tick from me.

Pretty much where I'm at too. Have been pretty loud with my opinions about the home kit changing but knowing that change was inevitable I'm content with what they went with; it's better than the solid sky blue kit I feared we would end up with. I would have preferred some red on the home kit but I'll take solid white with the blue stripes. I'm actually a fan of the logo too, the flag of Melbourne is present and I don't mind the blue border which obviously had to be there.

Agree that David Villa posing with the red shirt was a nice touch...all in all, I'm ok with the kit/name/logo outcome and thrilled about seeing Villa play for us.

My prediction is the colour change is not over. Its well known that the owners wanted the solid sky blue and they will probably keep working towards that.

I think the tenuous ties with Heart that they've kept in place is just a measure to appease the views of heart fans, and will quickly be phased out to become essentially identical to New York/Manchester City. 

Oh what a pessimistic view. It may not be easy to accept, but its certainly a lot better than many likely expected.

They heard the fans loud and clear and have actually compromised what they likely expected to be able to do.

With red in the crest, it makes sense for it to stay around.

Overall, I was very happy with the email. The home shirt is really the only thing that I don't love. And there were some nice little touches, which can hopefully be taken as an olive branch from the ownership (e.g. Villa posing with the red shirt, rather than the new home shirt). A big tick from me.

Pretty much where I'm at too. Have been pretty loud with my opinions about the home kit changing but knowing that change was inevitable I'm content with what they went with; it's better than the solid sky blue kit I feared we would end up with. I would have preferred some red on the home kit but I'll take solid white with the blue stripes. I'm actually a fan of the logo too, the flag of Melbourne is present and I don't mind the blue border which obviously had to be there.

Agree that David Villa posing with the red shirt was a nice touch...all in all, I'm ok with the kit/name/logo outcome and thrilled about seeing Villa play for us.

My prediction is the colour change is not over. Its well known that the owners wanted the solid sky blue and they will probably keep working towards that.

I think we've got to prepare ourselves for that possibility, but at this stage, I can't see what would change the league's (or Sydney's) position. Without seeing the original agreement, I would assume that there's nothing the club can do, with regards to the kit, without the league's approval. And I don't see it ever being in the league's interest to allow the sky blue shirt. All City could really do is stubbornly sabotage the team and the recent announcements and rumours make it pretty clear that they are unlikely to do that. Things can change though, obviously.

Edited by SF33

is this still our club though?

It's your club in the sense that you are a supporter, if you decide to stay. Short of fan ownership no club belongs to the fans. Someone else will always own it. That's true of every league in every country.

Sheikh Mansour is by far the best owner in world sports. Villa is just the start, prepare to have all your dreams come true. When you're filling your trophy case with silverware every season no one will care that the name or colours were changed.

Wouldn't be surprised if Etihad were being lined up for a sponsorship deal. Might be interesting to see if any contract that the FFA has with Qantas would put a stop to that though.

Hostplus are a tie in with Melb Storm.

Interesting one that...

Geelong (AFL) still has Ford as their major sponsor even though AFL's major sponsor is Toyota. So if that counts for anything, it could happen.

North Melbourne with Mazda too

And Carlton with Hyundai.

There might be others, too.

When it comes to sponsorships, the AFL contract was likely a lot less exclusive than the HAL's was.

Toyota (Overall and Adelaide Crows), Ford (Geelong), Jeep (Richmond), Hyundai (Carlton), Mazda (North Melbourne), BMW (Sydney Swans), Fiat (GC Suns) Opal (2013 Melbourne FC) and Skoda (2013 GWS Giants) are all examples of car sponsorships that I can think of in the AFL.

Mind you, Toyota were up in arms not long ago at the amount of sponsorship plus given to Jeep on Fox Footy, which they felt infringed on their sponsorship, so who knows what can be done to get the balance right.

Lets hope th FFA can loosen up the reins somewhat to give clubs more control on sponsorship opportunities.

Edited by Heart_fan

Wouldn't be surprised if Etihad were being lined up for a sponsorship deal. Might be interesting to see if any contract that the FFA has with Qantas would put a stop to that though.

Hostplus are a tie in with Melb Storm.

Interesting one that...

Geelong (AFL) still has Ford as their major sponsor even though AFL's major sponsor is Toyota. So if that counts for anything, it could happen.

North Melbourne with Mazda too

And Carlton with Hyundai.

There might be others, too.

For those that follow the AFL, that's actually what started the now traditional exchange of the 'premiers' caps and medals with the kids on the dais. Geelong players (or, more accurately, the marketing department) didn't want the players to be seen in Toyota caps, so they gave them to the kids.

• Like 1

I'm OK with the changes. They kept the red and white, albeit for the away kit and the new home kit is classy. The logo, well it will take some getting used to but I doubt that the kids will be drawing it on their note books (thankfully there is always photoshop). As for the signing of David Villa... :)

• Like 1

It's your club in the sense that you are a supporter, if you decide to stay. Short of fan ownership no club belongs to the fans. Someone else will always own it. That's true of every league in every country.

Sheikh Mansour is by far the best owner in world sports. Villa is just the start, prepare to have all your dreams come true. When you're filling your trophy case with silverware every season no one will care that the name or colours were changed.

In the dominant sport in Melbourne (AFL), the ownership actually is member-based. There's a president, board, CEO and so on, but no owners in the AFL. So, for Victorians that are new to football, it actually takes a bit of getting used to, that one person can wield so much control and (if dissatisfied), as members we can't just vote them out.

• Like 1

I was speaking to gallop a year a go he mentioned that he was hoping to get rid of the exclusivity of brands for the A-league.  

That would be big news if it could be achieved.

It would actually get clubs into a stronger posiition to find higher value sponsors too.

I was speaking to gallop a year a go he mentioned that he was hoping to get rid of the exclusivity of brands for the A-league.  

That would be big news if it could be achieved.

It would actually get clubs into a stronger posiition to find higher value sponsors too.

Well Sydney FC Had virgin Airlines and BMW sponsor lined up which they couldn't take because of it so 100% agree 

Nice new logo and home kit is a bit meh 

The red and white has been kept, the reference to Heart has been kept, and our identify as a club for Melbourne city has been clearly stated in both our name, and importantly in our logo.

I like the white on our home strip and I am particularly happy that sky blue is not the dominant colour of our identity.

... and Villa ... just awesome 

ps - hats off to the Sheik - he called the whale

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

I love how they've obviously read the forum and included the Melbourne City coat of arms as if that was what was important, even though most had know idea what it looked like before the takeover

Agreed.

Looks like they've ripped the design almost exactly from this post ffs :hkpalm:

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/2520-what-jerseys-colours-do-we-favour-next-season-irrespective-of-the-franchise-name/page-2#entry153479

citydsflgo_zpsc2b6e9e4.png

• Like 1

Idea behind the logo is good. Layout of the design itself is terrible.. To much going on, needs to be simplified IMO. Nice to see that they kept the red and white and not centred the identity of melb city around sky blue.

Surprised they actually listened to the fans and what they wanted that is a very good sign of things to come. Pleased with the outcome. 

• Like 1

In the dominant sport in Melbourne (AFL), the ownership actually is member-based. There's a president, board, CEO and so on, but no owners in the AFL. So, for Victorians that are new to football, it actually takes a bit of getting used to, that one person can wield so much control and (if dissatisfied), as members we can't just vote them out.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Fan ownership is usually touted as an answer to situations like Portsmouth. Mansour isn't like that, though. He's infintiely preferable to fan ownership, which would never be able to bring in a player like David Villa.

Edited by Manchester City

I love how they've obviously read the forum and included the Melbourne City coat of arms as if that was what was important, even though most had know idea what it looked like before the takeover

Agreed.

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/2520-what-jerseys-colours-do-we-favour-next-season-irrespective-of-the-franchise-name/page-2#entry153479

There's a fair difference between those. I don't think you can say they took the idea from there at all.

• Like 1

Agreed.

There's a fair difference between those. I don't think you can say they took the idea from there at all.

The logo if anything is just based around the new york city fc club logo. 

Let's get the sheikh to fund one major away trip for all supporters this coming season..

#bigclubmentality

Hopefully he can can chip in a little extra for Traffic Cones for anyone heading to Perth.

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 2

Let's get the sheikh to fund one major away trip for all supporters this coming season..

#bigclubmentality

Hopefully he can can chip in a little extra for Traffic Cones for anyone heading to Perth.

And some quality Tennis Balls... maybe those half neon pink ones that you use to get with Grip Ball.

Agreed.

00090757-leadimage.jpgcitydsflgo_zpsc2b6e9e4.png

Each to their own, but it looks fairly similar to me when put side by side tbh. The principal elements are almost exactly the same.

• Like 4

Interesting that Latrobe Uni still seem to be involved as a sponsor, but Westpac is nowhere to be seen.

Lets hope an announcement on the facilities is forthcoming soon. If we want to be a serious club, we better get facilities that are in line with those expectations soon.

Edited by Heart_fan

Agreed.

00090757-leadimage.jpgcitydsflgo_zpsc2b6e9e4.png

Each to their own, but it looks fairly similar to me when put side by side tbh. The principal elements are almost exactly the same.

Agreed although it's such an obvious design it's hard to know if they came up with it themselves or were inspired by seeing it on here. 

Edited by Alexxandro
  • Like 1

I like the shit paint job one better than the official logo. If they did copy, they should have just polished and refined the paint job version a bit. The orange (i think it's orange) is the really shit bit on the official logo.

Have just come home to read the news. Wow! Taking everything into consideration...while some will be still a little disappointed I reckon in reality it's a great outcome. Especially the link with the arms and flag of the City of Melbourne which IMO is just so good. And IMO they have done very well with the home kit, which is all class.

The campaign to keep the red-and-white might have fallen a little short, but all credit to those behind that campaign, because we weren't completely wiped out.

A great outcome in the overall scheme of things.

• Like 2

I like the shit paint job one better than the official logo. If they did copy, they should have just polished and refined the paint job version a bit. The orange (i think it's orange) is the really shit bit on the official logo.

Orange?  :blink:

The version posted here looks a little low contrast, the real colour is closer to orange, but yeah probably not orange (my monitor is deceiving me a bit as it's not positioned correctly).

Orange?  :blink:

The version posted here looks a little low contrast, the real colour is closer to orange, but yeah probably not orange (my monitor is deceiving me a bit as it's not positioned correctly).

Pretty sure Boffins is right (he posted at the same time as me so I didn't see his post) and it is the goldy-yellow that gets used in classic symbols.

Also worth noting that they've including the same ship from City's logo, rather than the original COA ship.