Melbourne Football

RND 3 Heart v Perth (Sun 27th - away)

Cinnamon

That was frustrating I agree, but I'm struggling to see how people expect much else without our key creative players on the field. Kewell and Engelaar were signed to be just that and u fortunately for us, neither is there currently.

Watching us currently is becoming clear that we are missing the link in midfield to break down teams. The hard work that Murdocca is doing is going nowhere as there's no one centrally he can utilise to profit from his endeavours.

Williams is never going to be a creative player, as his decision making is poor. Who else can we play there until HK returns?

Gol Gol really needs to pull his finger out though. JA has been a big advocate for him but his style and attitude on the park seem to be lacking. This can not be rewarded moving forward. I put it down to being in a different role the past 2 weeks, but this week was his worst effort and it was his natural position.

One thing though, like it or not, Perth are a much better team over there than many give them credit for. They were well organised and played with confidence at home.

Many teams will likely struggle over there against them, which has been the case for many years. Their pace and structure will certainly help, especially in warmer conditions that they are more used to than a number of other teams.

If we want to play with width we rely on our full backs to attack and bring the ball forward. This leaves us open at the back unless the midfielders support the CBs in defensive transition by pressing. We aren't doing this. Alternatively if we have very aggressive RB and LB we can reduce the width of our opponents by forcing their full backs to defend more in their defensive third. This isn't happening especially on the right as Hoffman is not pushing forward much. either on coach's instructions or because he is focusing on defending. In combination we lacked width in attack and spent almost the whole first half with Hoffman under pressure and with an almost non-existent midfield, a repeat of last season or even worse because at least last season we had Marrone or Walker.

When was the last time our fullbacks overlapped regularly during a game?

Aziz + Miiiiichael.

Is it just me, or is Aziz lacking his usual pace he had before he left? He seems slower and lacking confidence to run with the ball.

At present, his lack of drive out wide is certainly not helping. The only positive is that his defensive positioning may be a little better these days, but it's hard to tell.

Mauk looked promising today. Needs more game time.

WIELAERT is captain material ... he played like a champ and spoke well after the game.

Our right side was weak and as BG has said, this screwed our whole shape. Golgol struggles when it's hot ... ffs play him as an impact sub in these types of games

Mifsud looks good but needs service - he got frustrated a few times and the commentators said he was coaching on the field. Mauk also looks promising.

In general pretty poor. Wont win any new fans with that display. Could have been 2 goals down at half time if not for the woodwork. Disappointed - yes, but not overly... maybe we are one step closer to the inevitable.

YOULL NEVER GET PAST KISNORBO*

well this is a lie.

* = Unless you give him a knee injury

The lad injured himself after being way out of position, flat-footed, and then trying to rugby-tackle MacLaren!

...but we wont mention that part! ;)

That was very disappointing to watch. Same ol' for the boys in red away from home. We are a breeding ground for mediocrity. Mediocre manager tolerating mediocrity from persistently average players. Just try something different for once JA. Mauk showed more in five minutes than most of the other blokes did in 95. Get him on early. He even took it up to that little prick and excuse of a midfielder Burns. FFS, I'd play him every match just because of that.

And does anyone else reckon Murdocca is always in a hurry but ultimately going nowhere? He is usually the busiest player on the park, but he runs around like a fucking headless chook sometimes.

I understand that there isn't much to pass to but his intensity seemed almost out of place today. Maybe that was just because we were all too lazy to give him an option. I can't be sure.

And does anyone else reckon Murdocca is always in a hurry but ultimately going nowhere? He is usually the busiest player on the park, but he runs around like a fucking headless chook sometimes.

I understand that there isn't much to pass to but his intensity seemed almost out of place today. Maybe that was just because we were all too lazy to give him an option. I can't be sure.

I think he is a naturally attacking minded player when he intercepts but unlike Brisbane where he had multiple attacking threats to pass it to with us he has a flat footed attack that is heavily outnumbered. I'd still rather he naturally go forward though and then go back if there is nothing on than the Matt Thompson special move of intercept the ball, pass to the deepest player you can see.

This.

Murdocca isnt the problem.  for me it comes down to the three mids and one forward in front not offering the option (although to be fair, Mifsud looked ok in only his first outting - Murcdocca's lack of options comes more from the three mids).  unfortunately this leaves Murdocca with two options; to rush it and most probably turn it over passing directly to an opponent, or hold it / pass it backwards to a feasible option and look (in your words) like "a headless chook"

Edited by mattyh001

33% possession against Perth is atrocious.

No respected coach and players for that matter can look in the mirror and claim it was nothing other then utter rubbish.

We keep hoping not to loose rather then attempting to win it.

When the opposition controls 2 thirds on the game what hope have we got.

We going to be representing a league on number of Fridays FTA in sbs.

If this style of "football" that we keep persisting with continues this season, we can safely say our attendance numbers will not just stall but head south.

I'm getting laughed at by few mates who I'm trying desperately to convert to heart members.

Especially when mv is now a LOT more entertaining to watch then they were prior to AP coaching them.

We were like that......

My misses who hates sport and knows nothing about football but goes to watch games with me, has now refused to attend.

Her reason is over the year + heart is now boring to watch.

Kill me now!!

• Like 2

First interstate game of the year, yes we lost, yes we played shit, but stop being so bitter.

If you're *the* JD, even if you're not, you've missed the point.

The "bitterness" is not born out of this one game, but of more than 2 years of shit football and insipid player effort.

Such a massive disappointment.

After all the buzz and excitement off season, coupled with a respectable first 2 games against quality opposition, our team is back to the same position we were at the end of last season.

Unable to get a result against a team we should beat either home/away/the fucking moon, we find ourselves back to square one.

We played terrible. Absolute shite. Nothing has changed.

Is it a lack of respect for the coach or is his game plan seriously that deluded?

Gonna be a long season if we keep being served that crap

Is it just me, or is Aziz lacking his usual pace he had before he left? He seems slower and lacking confidence to run with the ball.

At present, his lack of drive out wide is certainly not helping. The only positive is that his defensive positioning may be a little better these days, but it's hard to tell.

Mauk looked promising today. Needs more game time.

ended up walking into watch the second half after my preset recording messed up and couldnt start watching from the start.  from the sounds of it I got lucky.

on the basis of the second half and reports about what i missed in the first, i am really pissed off.

frankly i dont care about records - not winning interstate for nearly two years, getting smashed for passes and possession yesterday, etc., etc.  they are all just stats that reflect not heaps by themselves.  yes you can look at them as part of a collective and at that point they do start looking bad.  but that then starts flowing into my next point.

what really grinds my gears is that nothing has changed since last year.  Aloisi has no idea of how to change things.

the way I see it is that he has three plans:

(Plan A.) get the ball to Kewell, let him do some individual brilliance

(Plan B.) insert player XYZ in place of Kewell when Kewell is unavailable, let him do some individual brilliance

(Plan C.) hit and hope

well Aloisi, tell us more how we will succeed with this.  tell us more how this is well devised, because frankly we don't look up to performing well on the basis of your well thought out plans.

across the three games we have maybe had a dozen chances, most of which have been half chances that have fallen our way.  by all means, we have had some chances that we have done well to create but watching yesterday i get that sinking feeling things wont improve this season until Aloisi goes.

for a really long time i have hoped that Aloisi could manage the team well.  last season i was even willing to say it was useful as a learnnig curve.  but FFS i question what Aloisi has learned and how he has then applied it all.

Positives

(1) Weilaert at the back.

(2) we still have the hottest physio

(3) Mifsud look ok given it was his first game and lack of service / players working off him

(4) Redmayne actually pulled of a couple of decent saves and couldnt do much more on the goal

(5) Murdocca and Migliorini look like they can play together well, just dont have the support going forward

(6)  Ramsey has shown glimpses of doing well just doesnt have the support from Behich and subsequently has to play isolated

Negatives

(1) Hoffman being Hoffman.  i will admit that he did do a couple of things well but got beaten a number of times poorly and unnecessarily.

(2) Behich in general.  personally i believe he his largely benefiting from the last time he played for us reputation wise.  doesnt get forward well enough, looks lazy (doesnt cut in or overlap well enough to create options or space frequently) and is constantly late or diving in with bad slide tackles.  better than Hoffman but then again, the marking point is Hoffman.

(3) the fact that Murdocca and Migliorini just dont have the support going forward

(4) Golgol in general; looks lazy and doenst know what he is doing.  a poor man's Bruce Djite.

(5) Dugandzic in general; doesnt know how to use space, pass the ball consistently nor make options

(6) Williams inconsistency

(7) Kisnorbo's injury

That was frustrating I agree, but I'm struggling to see how people expect much else without our key creative players on the field. Kewell and Engelaar were signed to be just that and u fortunately for us, neither is there currently.

Watching us currently is becoming clear that we are missing the link in midfield to break down teams. The hard work that Murdocca is doing is going nowhere as there's no one centrally he can utilise to profit from his endeavours.

Williams is never going to be a creative player, as his decision making is poor. Who else can we play there until HK returns?

Gol Gol really needs to pull his finger out though. JA has been a big advocate for him but his style and attitude on the park seem to be lacking. This can not be rewarded moving forward. I put it down to being in a different role the past 2 weeks, but this week was his worst effort and it was his natural position.

One thing though, like it or not, Perth are a much better team over there than many give them credit for. They were well organised and played with confidence at home.

Many teams will likely struggle over there against them, which has been the case for many years. Their pace and structure will certainly help, especially in warmer conditions that they are more used to than a number of other teams.

for the most part i thoroguhly agree.

the problem for me with the highlighted passage is that to deal without a Kewell (or even an Engelaar) is to use a Plan B or Plan C.

to reframe your question a little; what do we do when we have Kewell playing and he is either playing shite or being marked outta the game?  What just expect / hope something else works?

games like this is where you get your pattens, your other play to work.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

Same old shit. My enthusiasm or optimism for this season was bludgeoned to death by half time, mainly because we've seen this same rubbish over and over and over again. Different players, same performance. Before disecting game plans and whatever, it also looks like just a basic lack of hunger, effort and passion. Why did it take until we were a goal down to show any intensity? The last half hour was much better, but it was partly because Perth started shutting down. Mostly, they were hungrier to win the 50/50 balls and pressured us out of posession whenever we had it. And they totally dictated the game for the entire period from about the 15 minute mark until the last 20 minutes.

I think the whole Hoffman issue gets far more attention than it probably should, but I just want to say this. Kisnorbo, who I like, is the one who has so far taken over from Colosimo as our chief defensive fuck up merchant. Silly mistakes from him almost gifted Victory a goal, handed CCM a penalty to get them back in the game, and gave Perth two opportunities to score - including the goal. So far, for all the targeting of Hoffman, no goals have been conceded from his side, (well maybe yesterday's, but it wasn't his fault) and over the course of the three games, in reality, not a whole lot of crosses or scoring opportunities either IMO. I agree that Walker offers more going forward and offers a better balance of attack and defence. But defensively Hoffman has been ok and shouldn't be the scapegoat for our results.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Haven't seen it, was to pissed off to see his face but prob something like this.

"We didn't play the football we wanted to, but I think we held the ball well in the second half and created some good chances. I think the heat got to the boys and we just couldn't get going."

"But don't worry next week we will try hold the ball up and hoof it long when Brisbane shut us down, and hopefully from that we get a few corners and then I can say we had some chances in that game also."

When JA got the job I'm sure a few ppl were worried at first, but then once we started the season we got all exited and said "ey how bad could this be, let's give the guy a season and see how we go." The board shouldnt have taken the gamble with him, thinking that his name and face from the Soccer Roos was going to be enough to get us results and bums on seats. It was a big mistake for such a young club, who was also going up againts the bigest team in the comp (Victory) with such an inexperience coach and a ageing 30year old team (Fred) trying to attract ppl. We can slag JA every week, but the guy is just doing his job... It's just a shame his no good at it ATM while his at our club. The people we should be pissed off at are, the ppl who gave him the job! Yesterday was hard to watch, because deep down we no what the season lies ahead... The difference between JA and us is we are always going to be Melbourne Heart, so lets not get carried away with ripping up memberships and so on, like ppl have been saying. These are the times we as a club have to stick together and just be patient, for the happy times will come. As long as the club is involved with Johan Cruyff academy, a great coach isn't to far away. Like I said before the season JA wouldn't last till the end, and JVSchip hasn't been appointed football director for just that reason....

When JA got the job I'm sure a few ppl were worried at first, but then once we started the season we got all exited and said "ey how bad could this be, let's give the guy a season and see how we go." The board shouldnt have taken the gamble with him, thinking that his name and face from the Soccer Roos was going to be enough to get us results and bums on seats. It was a big mistake for such a young club, who was also going up againts the bigest team in the comp (Victory) with such an inexperience coach and a ageing 30year old team (Fred) trying to attract ppl. We can slag JA every week, but the guy is just doing his job... It's just a shame his no good at it ATM while his at our club. The people we should be pissed off at are, the ppl who gave him the job! Yesterday was hard to watch, because deep down we no what the season lies ahead... The difference between JA and us is we are always going to be Melbourne Heart, so lets not get carried away with ripping up memberships and so on, like ppl have been saying. These are the times we as a club have to stick together and just be patient, for the happy times will come. As long as the club is involved with Johan Cruyff academy, a great coach isn't to far away. Like I said before the season JA wouldn't last till the end, and JVSchip hasn't been appointed football director for just that reason....

Do you know the meaning of paragraphs?

33% possession against Perth is atrocious.

No respected coach and players for that matter can look in the mirror and claim it was nothing other then utter rubbish.

It's not how much possession you have but how you use it. CCM had 34% and won.

Anyway, panic stations after 3 rounds would be foolish but there are ominous signs.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a JA after match interview yet ?? If so what did he say ??

Haven't seen the interview but here's a report from the A-League web-site. Aloisi just doesn't seem to get it, does he? How can you be "pleased" when you "thought we started to push to get an equaliser" and were "a bit more proactive"?

Melbourne were outplayed in the first half as Perth had six shots to two, over 60 percent of the possession and scored the winner just after the break.

Aloisi said his team struggled a little bit in the first half, but added he was pleased with the second half.

"They had the majority of possession, but the chances they were creating were off set pieces, hit the woodwork twice off set pieces and weren't creating great openings even though they dominated the first half," he said.

"I thought we started the second half very well and then we started to control a bit more of the game and then they ended up scoring from that long ball ... Patrick Kisnorbo went down injured and (Jamie) Maclaren put it away.

"After that I still thought we started to push to try and get an equaliser, started to be a bit more proactive."

Kisnorbo was substituted after he went down as part of the lead up play that led to Maclaren's winner and Aloisi said the initial prognosis was a nerve issue in his knee but the full extent would not be known until proper testing was conducted.

The Heart were without star striker Harry Kewell as he continues to recover from a whiplash injury and Aloisi said he was not sure whether he'd be available to face the Roar this week.

"We have to see how he is day-by-day and see if he can get up," Aloisi said.

"We'd love for him to be available because he's an important player for us.

"At the moment we're putting David Williams in there, he's not really a number 10, even though he did well last week, this week he didn't get on the ball as much and when he went back out wide he got in good areas and started causing problems.

"We'll wait and see how Harry goes and make a judgement on that later in the week."

Worst GK in the league

Worst RB in the league

Worst team of ball control in the league

Bit harsh on Redders if you analyse the 3 goals we've copped this season.

Who in the league is worse than redders?

Redders isn't a bad keeper by any means but his only competition for weakest starting GK in the league is probably Moss or Pasfield, but Pasfield's started strongly this season.

jesus I rather dislike Hoffmann

Hoff is doing his best, he's a professional footballer who will play when selected and try his best playing out of position. He shouldn't be on the list but that's not his responsibility.Hoff was not our worst player. That honour surely goes to Golgol. Just not at the races and what's worse is that JA had him on the pitch till the 75min when it was clear his touch was crap and was merely meandering around the pitch looking lost. When we conceded early in the second half PG let us has more of the ball and it was a game we could have got a point. If only JA had have been brave enough to reshape the team earlier than he did. Compare that to PG who took MClaren off for DaSilva to bring fresh legs on. We waited to change things only in a reactionary way, when time was running out, rather than being proactive. Who dares wins and we were down and had nothing to lose by rolling the dice and changing the dynamics of the game.

Should also acknowledge that Panto, Burnsy, McGarry and Thwaite were pretty good in keeping us quiet.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Yes we played shit. No excuses there.

But in regards to JAs performance i think there is some improvement.

For starters subbing off an ineffective Golgol for Dugandzic i thought was something we would not see.

Also taking Aziz (defender) off and putting Mauk(attacker) on shows a flexibility I have not seen before from Aloisi. However like the Golgol substitution it was too little, too late. Aloisi is still very raw as a coach, and I do not expect him to take many risks as he knows that he is fairly inexperienced.

Personally i think with the players that we have, counter attacking suits them well. We look more solid at the back then we have in a long time. Also with Murdocca and Adrea running there guts out in midfield, and winning the ball back quickly, we are able to quickly go on the break. However I dont rate Migilorini's distribution, and have yet to see Murdocca thread any killer passes to our forward line. Without the distribution of Kewell in the final third to link up the hard work our back four and 2 DMs are doing to the front line, we will not be able to score much.

Bottom line is without a decent playmaker (Kewell, or even Nick Kalmar) I dont see us producing many chances, and in the end we resort to long balls. Signs are still promising IMO, but i cant wait for Kewell, or even Kalmar to get back.

• Like 2

Yes we played shit. No excuses there.

But in regards to JAs performance i think there is some improvement.

For starters subbing off an ineffective Golgol for Dugandzic i thought was something we would not see.

Also taking Aziz (defender) off and putting Mauk(attacker) on shows a flexibility I have not seen before from Aloisi. However like the Golgol substitution it was too little, too late. Aloisi is still very raw as a coach, and I do not expect him to take many risks as he knows that he is fairly inexperienced.

Personally i think with the players that we have, counter attacking suits them well. We look more solid at the back then we have in a long time. Also with Murdocca and Adrea running there guts out in midfield, and winning the ball back quickly, we are able to quickly go on the break. However I dont rate Migilorini's distribution, and have yet to see Murdocca thread any killer passes to our forward line. Without the distribution of Kewell in the final third to link up the hard work our back four and 2 DMs are doing to the front line, we will not be able to score much.

Bottom line is without a decent playmaker (Kewell, or even Nick Kalmar) I dont see us producing many chances, and in the end we resort to long balls. Signs are still promising IMO, but i cant wait for Kewell, or even Kalmar to get back.

Agree except its hard tp have a killer pass from midfield when our midfielders pick up the ball in our own half and our wingers and fullbacks are also in our own half. All it leaves is a long ball to our number 9 who is marked by 2 or 3 defenders. This alone should free up midfielders and forwards pif they were in a decent position. 

• Like 1

One of Kewell, Kalmar or Mauk should permanently play in that no.10 playmaker role at all costs. As Alex said, Migliorini and Murdocca despite their energy and workrate don't exactly have a fantastic passing range by any means so all we end up doing is hoofing it. 

I think the game against CCM reiterated the need to play Williams as a central striker, it's his best position by a mile imo.

• Like 1