Melbourne Football

Tando Velaphi

Velaphi's shot stopping, vocalness, claiming crosses and distribution is a fuck load better than Redmayne IMO. Redders only trumps Velaphi in the clapping angrily after conceding stakes. Would still prefer Velaphi in goal than Redders. Actually think Velaphi is a good standard a-league number two. Far better than most in the league. Problem is we have an even shitter number 2 as supposed first choice at the start of the season.

• Like 1

I may get shot down for this but I think we should keep Velaphi as no.1, get rid of redders, sign a young backup on low wages and spend the extra salary cap space on improving our depth in the rest of the squad. If we score more goals than the opposition I'm not too fussed about how many we concede.

It may be fine in some matches but of recent times the teams who have had the majority of success have keepers like Ryan, Covic and Theo. All far superior to Velaphi. History shows you those who have major success have class keepers.

Edited by HeartinHobart
  • Like 1

I may get shot down for this but I think we should keep Velaphi as no.1, get rid of redders, sign a young backup on low wages and spend the extra salary cap space on improving our depth in the rest of the squad. If we score more goals than the opposition I'm not too fussed about how many we concede.

It may be fine in some matches but of recent times the teams who have had the majority of success have keepers like Ryan, Covic and Theo. All far superior to Velaphi. History shows you those who have major success have class keepers.

Couldn't agree more

• Like 1

What I see is that the GKs that we place in the "good" category actually put a lot more effort into their work, and in that respect I rank Velaphi above Redmayne.

If you look closely at guys like Birighitti (e.g. his attempted save of David Villa's goal), Covic, Coe, Theo, Vukovic etc. etc. you'll see that they don't just dive they stretch to their absolute limit in their effort to stop the ball. Using Birighitti as the example, he actually gets a hand on Villa's shot but can't stop it.

Redmayne dives around as GKs do, but IMO he doesn't stretch that extra little bit that makes the difference between a flying save and a goal. 

Again we get to the point that it all seems too easy at Heart/City. WTF is our GK coach doing all day?

• Like 1

Tando sees the ball a lot earlier than Redmayne which is a huge advantage. He also seems more comfortable in possession and is more proactive with his distribution. If a player is open he'll throw the ball to him straight away rather than umming and ahhing about it.

I can't think of a single goalkeeping skill in which Redmayne is superior.

• Like 1

Velaphi's shot stopping, vocalness, claiming crosses and distribution is a fuck load better than Redmayne IMO. Redders only trumps Velaphi in the clapping angrily after conceding stakes. Would still prefer Velaphi in goal than Redders. Actually think Velaphi is a good standard a-league number two. Far better than most in the league. Problem is we have an even shitter number 2 as supposed first choice at the start of the season.

I think Velaphi could the clapping disease off Redmayne. When he dropped the ball against Victory and they scrored (offside goal) he did the exact same clap as Redders.

• 4 weeks later...

JVS said he's been injured for the last two weeks, how did no one know about this?

Well, we did see that shot of an unknown GK in City colours in Abu Dhabi...

But I felt that interview with van 't Schip was a little unusual. He seemed to me to be unnecessarily empahatic that Tando was injured, but he was then rather vague about it being "something wrong with his arm." Got the impression that he was being a little loose with the truth.

• Like 2

JVS said he's been injured for the last two weeks, how did no one know about this?

Well, we did see that shot of an unknown GK in City colours in Abu Dhabi...

But I felt that interview with van 't Schip was a little unusual. He seemed to me to be unnecessarily empahatic that Tando was injured, but he was then rather vague about it being "something wrong with his arm." Got the impression that he was being a little loose with the truth.

I call it good squad management. I am sure if Nando wasn't suspended then Redders would have been the one to be nominated to be 'injured'.

• 1 month later...

Velaphi out to prove he's number one

Incumbent Melbourne City number one Tando Velaphi says he’s focused on becoming the club’s first choice stopper rather than earning a new contract.

Velaphi and his first-team goalkeeping rival Andrew Redmayne are both out of contract at season’s end at City.

The 27-year-old has been City’s first choice since Redmayne conceded five goals in a heavy loss to Wellington Phoenix in November.

But for a 2-0 defeat at Central Coast when Velaphi was sent off, City have not lost when he’s started this season.

In fact, for a club that has conceded 29 goals in 18 games, only six of those have come in Velaphi’s eight starts.

Velaphi’s recent form, conceding just once in their past three matches, is boosting his chances of earning a new deal.

“Things like that sort themselves out in the end,” Velaphi told FourFourTwo.

“My manager will sort that out. I’m just enjoying playing. The opportunities have been limited for me over the past four years. I’m really relishing that challenge.”

Velaphi, who is at his fourth A-League club, is settled in Melbourne and is enjoying being part of City’s ambitions.

“We’ve got a great group at City and with all the changes at the club over the past 12 months it’s exciting and great to be a part of it,” he said.

“The club has set a benchmark. As a player, you want the best facilities and everything.

“But you never know in football, different things come up at different times. You take it day by day. When you’re younger you might take it for granted but I’ve learnt, as you get older, not to.”

Velaphi refused to take the credit for City’s improved defensive record with him in goal and pointed to the club’s January trip to the UAE.

“We had a break over in Abu Dhabi where we worked on some things,” he said.

“We identified our strengths and weaknesses and stuck to that plan. We don’t waver much from what we’re good at and stick to that.”

The shot-stopper also said new signing Harry Novillo has settled in well at the club since arriving as an injury replacement for Damien Duff this week.

“He’s been really lively,” Velaphi said. “He just stepped off the plane on the weekend, but was in on training on Tuesday. He’s looked very sharp.

“The French are always quite eccentric and he’s got some laughs in the change-rooms already.”

Sixth-placed City takes on eighth-placed Mariners at Central Coast Stadium on Sunday.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/velaphi-out-prove-hes-number-one

• Like 1

Velaphi out to prove he's number one

Incumbent Melbourne City number one Tando Velaphi says he’s focused on becoming the club’s first choice stopper rather than earning a new contract.

Velaphi and his first-team goalkeeping rival Andrew Redmayne are both out of contract at season’s end at City.

The 27-year-old has been City’s first choice since Redmayne conceded five goals in a heavy loss to Wellington Phoenix in November.

But for a 2-0 defeat at Central Coast when Velaphi was sent off, City have not lost when he’s started this season.

In fact, for a club that has conceded 29 goals in 18 games, only six of those have come in Velaphi’s eight starts.

Velaphi’s recent form, conceding just once in their past three matches, is boosting his chances of earning a new deal.

“Things like that sort themselves out in the end,” Velaphi told FourFourTwo.

“My manager will sort that out. I’m just enjoying playing. The opportunities have been limited for me over the past four years. I’m really relishing that challenge.”

Velaphi, who is at his fourth A-League club, is settled in Melbourne and is enjoying being part of City’s ambitions.

“We’ve got a great group at City and with all the changes at the club over the past 12 months it’s exciting and great to be a part of it,” he said.

“The club has set a benchmark. As a player, you want the best facilities and everything.

“But you never know in football, different things come up at different times. You take it day by day. When you’re younger you might take it for granted but I’ve learnt, as you get older, not to.”

Velaphi refused to take the credit for City’s improved defensive record with him in goal and pointed to the club’s January trip to the UAE.

“We had a break over in Abu Dhabi where we worked on some things,” he said.

“We identified our strengths and weaknesses and stuck to that plan. We don’t waver much from what we’re good at and stick to that.”

The shot-stopper also said new signing Harry Novillo has settled in well at the club since arriving as an injury replacement for Damien Duff this week.

“He’s been really lively,” Velaphi said. “He just stepped off the plane on the weekend, but was in on training on Tuesday. He’s looked very sharp.

“The French are always quite eccentric and he’s got some laughs in the change-rooms already.”

Sixth-placed City takes on eighth-placed Mariners at Central Coast Stadium on Sunday.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/velaphi-out-prove-hes-number-one

The highlighted sentence has now been deleted from the on-line article.

Was always prepared to let Tando go at the end of this season to allow us to sign a proper number one whilst keeping the still contracted Redmayne as back up, but right now I think we need to keep Tando for next season. The man is a legend and looks like a proper A League number 1. Really think we should hold on to him

Was always prepared to let Tando go at the end of this season to allow us to sign a proper number one whilst keeping the still contracted Redmayne as back up, but right now I think we need to keep Tando for next season. The man is a legend and looks like a proper A League number 1. Really think we should hold on to him

Everyone forgets that he was no1 at Perth and at the Visitors. If it wasnt for his injury, he'd probably still be there. Has just had zero luck every since until now.

He is getting beter and better with each game and you can see he is just starting to get that confidence back.

If i could get a keepers kit right now, i'd be getting Velaphi on the back.