Melbourne Football

Tando Velaphi

http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-sports-sc-soccer-byo-36438.html

The 26-year-old goalkeeper, who recently said he would want to play for the Zimbabwe national team if given a chance, is among the big names that were signed by his new club.

I am filled with ROFL right now

Rofl I hate this bloke

Dont mess with the Peri Peri Chicken Custodian...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip said [of Hoffman and Velaphi] both players would be great assets next season...while Tando is an excellent goalkeeper, a true professional and the type of person we want at our Club. Tando has been fantastic in training and he has great chemistry with Andrew, with both goalkeepers helping to develop each other.”

I seriously question JVS' judgement here. The last time I read comments praising a goalkeeper they were his opinions of Roganovic - who lasted two matches and disappeared into the Youth Team, blocking the aspirations of our youth keepers of the time.

Edited by jw1739

Don't rate velaphi.

We missed perfect opportunity to get someone solid in the goal with redders as a back up.

Redders has poor control as well as very little authority in his box and lacks leadership. Velaphi IMHO offers even less of both.

I can't understand thinking behind it all.

As for jvs comment, they are stock standard politically correct general statements which don't explain anything.

Not impressed.

• Like 1

The last time I read comments praising a goalkeeper they were his opinions of Roganovic - who lasted two matches and disappeared into the Youth Team, blocking the aspirations of our youth keepers of the time.

I question your comment here...

As I went to almost all of the Youth games that season (at home) and saw Roganovic on a handful of times.

Our choice youth keeper was also Seb Mattei... come on...

The last time I read comments praising a goalkeeper they were his opinions of Roganovic - who lasted two matches and disappeared into the Youth Team, blocking the aspirations of our youth keepers of the time.

As I went to almost all of the Youth games that season (at home) and saw Roganovic on a handful of times.

Like you I went to almost all the matches at John Cain that season. Mattei was on loan from Victory. Our real youth signing was Tom Dunn, a good keeper, but he never got a look in because he was pushed down to no. 3.

Like you I went to almost all the matches at John Cain that season. Mattei was on loan from Victory. Our real youth signing was Tom Dunn, a good keeper, but he never got a look in because he was pushed down to no. 3.

Dunn was tiny man, he was good but tiny. Very young too, they could have kept with him, don't think he was good enough. I watched him train a few times alongside Mattei and would say Mattei was the better keeper, he was just a poor decision maker

The backup goalkeeper is a funny position. Are there obvious superior choices out there for backup goalkeeper? To be honest I can't think of any.

Plucking a player out of the VPL, as Nicola Roganovic has shown, is very risky business. Will such players be able to perform at A-League level when called upon?

Whilst I'm really not a fan of Velaphi (and I mean really not a fan), I can't really think of an obvious superior replacement for him.

The thing I wonder is what happened to Bray? He seemed like a genuine prospect a while ago.

Hopefully Marko Stevanja is a good prospect. I don't know much about him, but he's apparently training with the 1st team until the end of the season, so it seems that JVS and co. think well of him.

• Like 1

He did well VS Roar IMO. Got a touch on the first goal (which was mostly Wielaert's fault IMO for being the only one playing him onside). 

Second goal, well, again IMO bad defending. We had 6 back against 2... not sure how they let Enriq have a hit.

Look forward to more from him as he develops into a first team keeper. My 2 cents 

He did well VS Roar IMO. Got a touch on the first goal (which was mostly Wielaert's fault IMO for being the only one playing him onside). 

Second goal, well, again IMO bad defending. We had 6 back against 2... not sure how they let Enriq have a hit.

Look forward to more from him as he develops into a first team keeper. My 2 cents 

I am not sure. Right now after last nights performance I'm getting a little tired of thinking that these guys have talent that just needs to be nurtured  and developed.

FFS someone explain to me why it was necessary to re-sign him before we tested him under match conditions? We could have given him 3 matches before deciding on whether to re-sign him or not. I don't understand the logic behind some of what we are doing.

• Like 2

Tando Velaphi sympathises with Besart Berisha after Brisbane Roar striker sent off again

Matt Windley

March 29, 2014

TANDO Velaphi was sporting a couple of a couple of scars from the studs of the left boot of Besart Berisha’s left boot on Saturday.

But the Melbourne Heart goalkeeper believes there was no malicious intent on the part of Berisha in the incident that saw the Brisbane Roar striker sent off on Friday night.

Roar defeated Heart 2-1 at Suncorp Stadium despite being a man down from the 49th minute after referee Chris Beath’s decision to send Berisha from the field.

The score then was tied at 1-1 at that point tafter Dimitri Petratos cancelled out Aziz Behich’s 18th-minute opener, only for Henrique to clinch a 73rd-minute winner for the home side.

It was an eventful night for Velaphi, which capped an eventful week.

Just days after signing a one-year contract extension, the 26-year-old was making his first start of the season.

Berisha, in his first game back from suspension, became the first player to receive three red cards in an A-League season.

He lunged for the ball in the penalty box as Velaphi came out to smother a dangerous through ball.

Despite making initial contact with the ball, the Albanian’s boot landed on Velaphi’s head.

After the game Brisbane coach Mike Mulvey slammed Beath’s decision to send off Berisha and said the club would appeal against his mandatory week’s suspension.

Velaphi was reluctant to buy into the debate as to whether Berisha should or should not be suspended for next week’s game against Western Sydney, but did defend his opponent’s actions.

“It was just one of those things in the game — a couple of players going at the ball,” Velaphi said.

“The referee sees what he sees and the rest is history I suppose.

“Bes is quite a tenacious player and wants to score goals. But it’s part of the game.

“I didn’t feel too threatened or anything like that. I could see what he was trying to do and so I just tried to get on with things.”

Velaphi said the fact that he had to wait until Friday night to make his Heart debut was “just the nature of the business” given the form of incumbent Andrew Redmayne.

With Heart out of the finals race, the Western Australian was told by coach John van‘t Schip midweek that he would play against Roar, but said he was given no guarantees about matches against Adelaide and Western Sydney in the last two rounds.

Despite his lack of game time, he said it was not a hard decision to re-sign.

“I probably haven’t played as much as I would have liked, but they’ve seen something in me and I’m happy to stay — especially with all of the ­Manchester City things happening at the club, everything is looking up,” he said.

“It wasn’t a hard decision for me. I’m enjoying my time here.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/tando-velaphi-sympathises-with-besart-berisha-after-brisbane-roar-striker-sent-off-again/story-fnk6pqhd-1226868580547

Interesting to read just how keen Velaphi is to stay around, because of the new ownership. Numerous players like him must have low wages, or must have had their wages negotiated down (like Williams), because they clearly want to remain at this club, and because of their keenness they'd likely accept modest wages. 

Edited by Murfy1

Velaphi is player #58.

I thought his game was similar to what we'd seen from Redmayne all year.  As to why he played AFTER being re-signed, I can only think that Redmayne has effectively been dropped.

You're right, he offers nothing more or less than Redmayne does. And that's why I don't resile from the view that he is a poor re-signing. If it's all about the salary cap and all we wanted is to have someone sitting on the bench we might as well have re-registered Bolton on the minimum salary added to whatever he gets in his "Special Projects" portfolio.

Ok some people in this forum were so pissed off with Redmayne that they were clamouring for TV to be given a chance. He has been given that chance and we saw no improvement on Redmayne. Question asked, question answered. For next season alternate them on a weekly basis so they both get game time and neither the club nor the fans will notice any difference in performance.

Velaphi said the fact that he had to wait until Friday night to make his Heart debut was “just the nature of the business” given the form of incumbent Andrew Redmayne.

!!!!!!!!!!  Form?

Sometimes i get the feeling that these 'journalists' don't even watch the game. They must just watch the highlights on fox sports news, and base their articles on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Weather Tando or Andrew Redmayne, I think Mourinho is right about the need for a back up keeper to have the experience to jump right in
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/english-premier-league/news/1187774/Mourinho-won-t-risk-Schwarzer

With either of our current keepers, I think an older, more experienced back up or challenging first choice is needed.

• 2 months later...

Putting this out there.  Of the choices we currently have, I want Tando to start.

I saw enough of Redders last year, thank you very much.

Have to disagree, Redmayne is frustrating but Velaphi is so horribly gaffe-prone it's not even funny. 

We seriously have the worst goalkeeping duo in the league.

Putting this out there.  Of the choices we currently have, I want Tando to start.

I saw enough of Redders last year, thank you very much.

Have to disagree, Redmayne is frustrating but Velaphi is so horribly gaffe-prone it's not even funny. 

We seriously have the worst goalkeeping duo in the league.

Dynamic duo of Flapman & Robayne. Gonna make Necevski's howler against Newcastle look like serious quality keeping :droy: