Melbourne Football

Rob Wielaert

InMyHeart

Whatever the case, he is still contracted. I don't know whether visa players can be released in January but if that happens the visa player will still need to be a defender because we lack depth in defence. If the club hires another visa defender then I would expect that player to play ahead of Chapman - and right now I am enjoying Chapman's game plus it will retard his development.

Chappy is doing well but PPL need to remember he still young and sometimes even very good young Center Halves need a break here and there because a few silly mistakes in such an important position can sometimes lead to a large confidence problem for a young player.

Robbie is not up to the standard of a Starting A-League Center Half anymore (Some would argue he never has been since he has been in the A-League) but he does fit the description of A-League Center Half Cover.

He is a good backup CB but I'm not sure of I'd want to use a visa spot for a backup player. I'd rather use Archibald for that.

As we've seen with other teams the visa positions are crucial to the success of the team. It's just that we have got it wrong for so long excluding a few visa players that have worn a heart Jersey (eg. Engelaar)

You'd assume Wielaert is one of our highest earners under the cap, coming from the Eredivisie as a fairly accomplished player.

Unfortunately our scouting of Dutch talent has been absolute dogshit (barring Engelaar), when you have a look at what Adelaide have done with finding players from the Spanish 2nd DIvision for similar or less wages.

• Like 1

Chappy is doing well but PPL need to remember he still young and sometimes even very good young Center Halves need a break here and there because a few silly mistakes in such an important position can sometimes lead to a large confidence problem for a young player.

Robbie is not up to the standard of a Starting A-League Center Half anymore (Some would argue he never has been since he has been in the A-League) but he does fit the description of A-League Center Half Cover.

He is a good backup CB but I'm not sure of I'd want to use a visa spot for a backup player. I'd rather use Archibald for that.

Well I def wouldn't... as if Kisnorbo went down we would be left with Chapman and Archibald and things could go pear shaped very very quickly.

And as much PPL as around here like to reminisce about Good and Hamill as Center Half Prodigies of the Good Ole Days (despite the fact that JVS's Season of Love was more unsuccessful than it was successful) even these two as kids when paired together at CB had a lot problems, brain fades and did not win us many games as a duo.

Sacking Robbie without an adequate replacement with some decent CB experience would be very risky list management IMO.

I agree about the Good and Hamill partnership being viewed through rose colored glasses.  A few of their f_ups were diabolical. You need an experienced head in the middle of defence

I do agree though that we have a good balance with our CB's atm age wise, if we let Weilart go we would need to sign another more experienced cb to cover Kisnorbo in case he gets injured but I just don't know where we could sign an experienced CB to sit on the bench for the rest of the season. Maybe an overseas Aussie CB looking for one last pay check? But i can't even come up with a name

If we could convince Weilart that he was always going to be the number 3 choice when it came to CB's, i'd keep him tbh. He's played at decent clubs around the world and could take on a mentoring role for chapman. However, if it was clear to the club that the situation was going to go all simon collisimo-esq on us, i'd let him go and have Archibald come off the bench.

Robbie will not be short of offers back in The Netherlands, perhaps the Jupiter League or one rung lower than that. But still at least a part-time professional. He also strikes me as smart enough to realise when he's no longer up to the standard required for the club he's with.

IMO he's done everything right while he's been with us. Conducted himself with dignity, and taken the captaincy when he had to. I hope that City will make every effort to find him a playing role at another club. If we're intending to let him go then if he does find another club I'd expect us to release him before the end of the season as we did with Macallister, Mifsud and Golgol towards the end of last season.

• Like 1

I wouldn't write him off just yet. We have still got a fare way to go. Chapman hasn't had a preseason and may need a rest after next game or two, and if Kisnorbo goes down we have got cover. Being in the match day squad for the rest of the season with the occasional game could work out well for all.

• Like 1

I see no reason why he should lose his position at RB and see no one who can replace him their either.

Unless we want to put Archibald back at rb again  :wacko:

I also think this can give us flexibility in a sense, say the newy game goes pear shaped and we need to get numbers up the field, we could play three at the back with robbie, Kisnorbo and chapman.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Thought he was very serviceable in the Perth game. Overall he was good on the ball, and even bombed up field a few times and complemented the attack. Also his positioning was solid, and he tucked inside next to the nearest central defender when Garuccio pushed up field when the team was in possession.

Thankfully we don't really come up against any especially dangerous wide players in the next 2 games, players like Awer Mabil, Nathan Burns and Ben Khalfallah, so I'm happy for Wielaert to continue at RB.

Can't help but think though that at the end of the season a RB should be on the shopping list (it seems remarkable to me that we're owned by the same owners who had a team with Kolarov and Zabaleta, that then went out and got even more fullbacks, namely Clichy and Sagna). Luke Wilkshire, Michael Marrone, Daniel Georgievski and Scott Galloway are out of contract at the end of the season, so hopefully before next season we'll have a new LB and one new RB.

• Like 1

Now I realise that I'm talking hypothetically as he's never likely to be fit enough to play regularly but I'd like to see Germano played at RB.

Why bother, when you know you are going to have to have another RB on the bench to take over when Germano has to come off? Get someone who's fit in the first place.

• Like 1

Now I realise that I'm talking hypothetically as he's never likely to be fit enough to play regularly but I'd like to see Germano played at RB.

Why bother, when you know you are going to have to have another RB on the bench to take over when Germano has to come off? Get someone who's fit in the first place.

That's why I was talking hypothetically!

Never really understood the fascination with playing Germano at right back, he's a midfielder without a great deal of pace.

He is the best right back in the squad for mine. Also the best left back such s the state of our fullback stocks.

On a side note though I think this really shows the approach to our side for the first summer of cfg control and I feel the strategy was get the middle of the park right and build from there. In that regard Chapman, Melling, Port-a-loo and Mooy have all been great. Looking forward to what we can do in the future particularly recruiting young players like Chapman and Melling.

.......Can't help but think though that at the end of the season a RB should be on the shopping list (it seems remarkable to me that we're owned by the same owners who had a team with Kolarov and Zabaleta, that then went out and got even more fullbacks, namely Clichy and Sagna). Luke Wilkshire, Michael Marrone, Daniel Georgievski and Scott Galloway are out of contract at the end of the season, so hopefully before next season we'll have a new LB and one new RB.

But with that team our owners did not have to operate under FFA's pathetically low salary cap restrictions and small squad size limitations.

Never really understood the fascination with playing Germano at right back, he's a midfielder without a great deal of pace.

All those on here with a Germano fascination...how many times has he actually played at RB and when was this? How many minutes of senior football has he played this season and pre-season? You want to throw him into the side when it could just be on the verge of actually getting a series of good results such that we might finish in a decent position in the league for once?

He's completely unproven with the current squad.

Would be irresponsible IMO.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a tough call.

Wielaert was pretty good against Perth at RB, but yesterday Wielaert's defending was ordinary. Newcastle targeted his side with the young and quick Hoole for most of the game, and both of Newcastle's goals originated down the flank that Wielaert's supposed to defend. In particular on the 2nd goal, Wielaert seemed to think he was a CB and forget he was a RB, and he was very slow to get out to the flank and close down the crosser who set up Newcastle's 2nd goal.

At the same time, I reckon Wielaert's been good and reliable when the team's been in possession the past 2 games.

I don't think Central Coast have good wide players, so IMO it probably makes sense to maintain stability and keep Wielaert at RB for the next match. After that match however, I wouldn't mind if there was a change at RB. And given the limited RB options in the team, I think Germano should be in the discussion regarding who could play at RB in future games (also Germano was indeed originally a fullback when he arrived at the club, and the few times I've seen Germano play RB he's looked good to me).  

It's a bit of a tough call.

Wielaert was pretty good against Perth at RB, but yesterday Wielaert's defending was ordinary. Newcastle targeted his side with the young and quick Hoole for most of the game, and both of Newcastle's goals originated down the flank that Wielaert's supposed to defend. In particular on the 2nd goal, Wielaert seemed to think he was a CB and forget he was a RB, and he was very slow to get out to the flank and close down the crosser who set up Newcastle's 2nd goal.

At the same time, I reckon Wielaert's been good and reliable when the team's been in possession the past 2 games.

I don't think Central Coast have good wide players, so IMO it probably makes sense to maintain stability and keep Wielaert at RB for the next match. After that match however, I wouldn't mind if there was a change at RB. And given the limited RB options in the team, I think Germano should be in the discussion regarding who could play at RB in future games (also Germano was indeed originally a fullback when he arrived at the club, and the few times I've seen Germano play RB he's looked good to me).  

Central Coast have a left winger by the name of Mat Sim who is both quick and quite experienced so that may give Wiellart some problems. Just saying.