Jump to content
Melbourne Football
jw1739

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

Recommended Posts

n i k o    5,543
14 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

-a winger to replace Brandon is in the world and will be announced before the start of the season (will be a visa player) 

Why rush huh

Anyways, that's all positive if true, although Malik going back to Adelaide is a shame given how he's performed under Joyce. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,984
16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

-a winger to replace Brandon is in the world and will be announced before the start of the season (will be a visa player) 

And the most surprising thing I heard is:

-Osama Malik wants to go back home to Adelaide. Very good chance of this happening. 

You mean "is in the World Cup"?

Personally I wouldn't be that sorry about Malik. IMO he's OK, but not outstanding.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missing_Moy    76
35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You mean "is in the World Cup"?

Personally I wouldn't be that sorry about Malik. IMO he's OK, but not outstanding.

 

He played his role very well this season except for 2 hiccups that cost us a game each!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    3,488

I call bullshit to all of the above.

No reference to a haircut 

No comment about a German car starting with V

And completely wrong time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missing_Moy    76
15 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Marcos Rojas? Seen that he is in melbourne, rumour going around that he wants to move back here

Very interested!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    3,113

Would take Rojas.

Arzani------------Bruno------------Rojas

---------------Marquee CAM--------------------

 

MOIST

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,877

Fuck Rojas, little weasel jumps here every second season after failing overseas then leaves again at first opportunity. No interest in helping him get another move out of the league, the mercenary can go back to the Tards.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    3,113
Just now, Embee said:

Fuck Rojas, little weasel jumps here every second season after failing overseas then leaves again at first opportunity. No interest in helping him get another move out of the league, the mercenary can go back to the Tards.

I just want to win the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,877
8 minutes ago, haz said:

I just want to win the league

He was pretty piss poor when the pressure was on during his last season at the Tards IMO. He's talented but I think he's more than a bit of a weak cunt and I'd rather not have him in the squad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kingofhearts    3,566
5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Forever City @kingofhearts Looking at my keyboard I should have realised that. Thanks.

Yes definitely meant in the works, just autocorrect being a cunt on my phone. 

Joyce has also been told that if the team does not make the finals this season that he will be given the boot.  The only reason he was given leniency this season was because the people higher up did not see this list as his own.  Now that he will have a full pre season with the team their are no excuses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LIBBA]    746
1 hour ago, Embee said:

He was pretty piss poor when the pressure was on during his last season at the Tards IMO. He's talented but I think he's more than a bit of a weak cunt and I'd rather not have him in the squad.

If this is bloke is all we can muster up with our "world wide scouting network" then just fuckin fold the club

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,984
32 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Yes definitely meant in the works, just autocorrect being a cunt on my phone. 

Joyce has also been told that if the team does not make the finals this season that he will be given the boot.  The only reason he was given leniency this season was because the people higher up did not see this list as his own.  Now that he will have a full pre season with the team their are no excuses. 

TBH I don't know why the club just doesn't terminate Petrillo and give our Manager the full reins in terms of signings. It's not as if the Manager has a 50+ matches season to contend with - there's plenty of time for him to assess who's available. If we need someone above the Manager to hold the Football Department together, then make that person purely admin. There have been too many poor signings during Petrillo's incumbency.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shahanga    4,057
3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Yes definitely meant in the works, just autocorrect being a cunt on my phone. 

Joyce has also been told that if the team does not make the finals this season that he will be given the boot.  The only reason he was given leniency this season was because the people higher up did not see this list as his own.  Now that he will have a full pre season with the team their are no excuses. 

Which Adelaide players are we targeting (or perhaps to spare your keyboard, which ones are we not targeting?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dylan    4,372

Well Joyce is on a two year deal anyway. So next season he is working for a new contract. I also assume you mean the final and not finals?

Nothing less than the championship with a top two finish for me next year thanks Warren. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,984
6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well Joyce is on a two year deal anyway. So next season he is working for a new contract. I also assume you mean the final and not finals?

Nothing less than the championship with a top two finish for me next year thanks Warren. 

Well, we were a mile off the pace of Sydney last season, so if that's what you want then we're going to have to assemble a much better squad than we had last time. Considering we have only 11 players signed to the seniors (excludes Scholarship players) for next season, then there are interesting times ahead.

When are our boys due to return to training? About mid-June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,039
17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, we were a mile off the pace of Sydney last season, so if that's what you want then we're going to have to assemble a much better squad than we had last time. Considering we have only 11 players signed to the seniors (excludes Scholarship players) for next season, then there are interesting times ahead.

When are our boys due to return to training? About mid-June?

Depends how 'superior' you viewed Sydney's squad as. As a famous FIFA commentator once quipped, "Games aren't won on paper, are they Andy?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    5,543
2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Depends how 'superior' you viewed Sydney's squad as. As a famous FIFA commentator once quipped, "Games aren't won on paper, are they Andy?"

Then the obvious question is can the manager deliver 

Edited by n i k o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,039
9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Then the obvious question is can the manager deliver 

It's part of it. There's plenty of factors to consider.

For mine Sydney's chief reason for success was their gaffer; i'm an unabashed fan of Arnold. It would take a fair bit for anyone to do a better job than him in the A League, irrespective of where they have coached before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,984
3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Depends how 'superior' you viewed Sydney's squad as. As a famous FIFA commentator once quipped, "Games aren't won on paper, are they Andy?"

Oh come on @bt50 Sydney's forward line pissed all over ours all season. We've taken one point off them in two seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,039
5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh come on @bt50 Sydney's forward line pissed all over ours all season. We've taken one point off them in two seasons.

Two things ; 1 - A squad is made up of 20+ players. I think its quite clear that ours batted deeper than theirs, particularly from players say 16-23, but they had a stronger XI.

2 - Even when you compare each player positionally, you can make an argument our squad wasnt too much behind. A best XI of both sides would probably look like :

                        Bouzanis

Wilkshire Wilkinson Schenkeveld Zullo

                  Brattan  Brillante

                           Ninkovic

Arzani                 Bobo        Adrian

and you definitely would have taken Bruno over Bobo at the start of the season, injury, and style of the sides perhaps makes the comparison unfair. I think you can argue that Bruno is a better rounded player , taking nothing away from an impressive and efficient Bobo this year. I also think its arguable that you nearly take Atkinson over Wilkshire going into this season with the consideration of age. The prior season is an even better example as most people would have said our squad on paper was superior to Sydney, but the coaches were the difference. Obv i believe Sydney were stronger this season than last.

I'm not denying they were a better side at all. I just don't think their squad was as far superior to us as the stats say; more it was a reflection of that team's chemistry, coaching and to a far lesser degree, incredible luck with injury and even decisions that seemed to keep going their way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harrison    238
29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

 I think its quite clear that ours batted deeper than theirs, particularly from players say 16-23, but they had a stronger XI.

I can't remember where I read it but a recent article on Sydney's salary cap management looked at the strength of their best XI and the significant drop-off after it. They spent heavily on 11 players then filled the rest of the squad up with cheap rejects/veterans. They also have an elite fitness and conditioning team that kept them fit every week but as you say, luck played a big part in terms of injuries (and ref decisions no doubt).

Arnold is a shrewd operator who routinely makes the right decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,039
9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I can't remember where I read it but a recent article on Sydney's salary cap management looked at the strength of their best XI and the significant drop-off after it. They spent heavily on 11 players then filled the rest of the squad up with cheap rejects/veterans. They also have an elite fitness and conditioning team that kept them fit every week but as you say, luck played a big part in terms of injuries (and ref decisions no doubt).

Arnold is a shrewd operator who routinely makes the right decisions.

Yeh it's a big thing and its obviously a risky strategy that pays off when you get the required injury free run. IMO City are far more squad focused, perhaps to ensure they can be competitive on both fronts when it comes to ACL, but its perhaps come at the cost of qualifying there in the first place. And tbh i don't think it has to be either/or, just that we havent quite gotten the mix right just yet. I'm quite happy with the way our list has positioned itself for this off season, but in saying that we still need to fill the vacancies we've created with players that fit that bill, in particular with the marquee and visa positions

Edited by bt50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    4,039
9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A risky strategy that sees them Premiers by a mile two seasons in a row...

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    3,113
31 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Inyestar signed for Kobe. I guess he likes steak. 

After two years his Aussie visa couldn't get sorted. Cheers Dutton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    7,984
34 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Inyestar signed for Kobe. I guess he likes steak. 

Not as much as he likes money. No way the A-League can compete with these other Asian leagues. we're wasting our time even thinking about players like Iniesta.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    3,113
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not as much as he likes money. No way the A-League can compete with these other Asian leagues. we're wasting our time even thinking about players like Iniesta.

But but but we have a warchest!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris p    232
4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not as much as he likes money. No way the A-League can compete with these other Asian leagues. we're wasting our time even thinking about players like Iniesta.

You probably would have said the same with Del piero 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fensaddler    700
3 hours ago, Tony999 said:

And Poppa after Leroy George, Oliver Bozanic. and Spiranovic

I'm sure he is. Whether he gets them is another matter.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    5,543
On 25 May 2018 at 10:13 PM, Tony999 said:

Shame we've lost the bit for Goodwin to Adelaide

Makes sense. He's got far more loyalty to Adelaide than he ever did with us. Not surprised and especially when we have Jamo. 

Edited by n i k o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thrillhouse    971
23 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Shame we've lost the bit for Goodwin to Adelaide

definitely not worth a marquee spot, 1m a season 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×