Melbourne Football

Matchday 16: v Perth - Saturday 25th January 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Saw bits and pieces of the game but I’m pretty disappointed in the approach we took to this game. Seemed like we tried not to lose rather than win with Delbridge at RB. 

The plan was to go a back three, not to shut up shop. Delbridge did very well and cut out most cross balls. 

ACL is going be harder and harder, they have a game in hand.

Edited by Mr MO

Really happy with Luna, I thought so far this season his best games came when we were playing well against inferior opposition. Tonight in a tougher game, he was the only player forward of the ball who really stood up and 

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

The plan was to go a back three, not to shut up shop. Delbridge did very well and cut out most cross balls. 

ACL is the same for 2nd and 3rd now, Australian qualification has changed only top gets automatic qualification 

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure about that. Going by average positions Delbridge was operating more as a RB because the RW was far too high to be considered a RWB and was much further forward than Jamieson. 

We didn't lose, a big improvement against Perth. It'll be interesting to see what Le Patron does when our Olyroos return

Positives:

Clean sheet, and with Bouzanis in goal

In no part due to Hendry's organisation at the back

We weren't out hustled, like we usually are against Perth

Negatives:

Midfield was our real problem tonight. Berenguer is ineffectual, but the 3 midfielders struggled to keep possession, hold up the game, and create penetrating passes despite Luna having a good individual game. those 3 just don't have the balance we need

We had the best chances but didn't take any of them, maybe 2 points lost in the second half

Why were we playing so many high balls to an isolated Maclaren?

Edited by belaguttman

1 minute ago, neio said:

Really happy with Luna, I thought so far this season his best games came when we were playing well against inferior opposition. Tonight in a tougher game, he was the only player forward of the ball who really stood up and 

ACL is the same for 2nd and 3rd now, Australian qualification has changed only top gets automatic qualification 

You are spot, we are playing with 2 AM, Luna did very well, where’s the second one?

ah right didn’t know that about the ACL ruling, thanks.

Fair result. Could have won, could have lost. Very even game.

Big improvement against Perf and I’m happy to take the point.

we really missed having Genreau or Metcalfe to either start or bring on.

Strong debut by Hendry.

Solid games across the board, though I thought Berenguer was pretty average and tonight we needed more from him.

Started well and then did fuck all for large chunks of the game. Standard anti football popovic, 5 at the back (rudan wanks to popovic defensive set ups) 

players constantly playing the wrong passes when there’s another team mate in space

jmac butchered another chance and was useless for the rest, a large chunk of the blame goes to the way we play. Fucking retarded to be pumping long balls non stop against the 3 giants 

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Not sure about that. Going by average positions Delbridge was operating more as a RB because the RW was far too high to be considered a RWB and was much further forward than Jamieson. 

When Atkinson came on, we definitely played with a back three trying to force something.

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

When Atkinson came on, we definitely played with a back three trying to force something.

Oh right. I see what you mean. 

14 minutes ago, malloy said:

Atkinson was quite lively and he got the better of Castro a few times.

Yes and this is my issue. We set out to nullify them with a defensive back 4 and seemed to abandon our system, then we had to move to a back 5 to try to create more. I think Mombaerts was worried about conceding early and about their counter attacks. 

I’m surprised that he didn’t back our system in and play Atkinson from the start. He’s a very positive and creative player and he combines well with Berenguer and Noone. We lose drive without him.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I wonder if we have stumbled into a new formation moving forward. Defence has never looked that good all season.

Take out Florin and Bouzanis and put back in Glover and Genreau = profit.

Bring Atkinson and Galloway in at full back to give us more attacking punch, unless we're playing Sydney or Perth and maybe Wellington away where Delbridges defensive abilities are needed.  

9 hours ago, rass said:

I'm not sure what people expect tbh. Liverpool? Barca?

For a 0-0 game, I actually found it very entertaining. I thought the first half hour was very positive with some quick passing really troubling Perth.

They then got back into the game as we slowed our movement down. Jamo was a real culprit, so frustrating.

But for most part, we were better. Perth are very street wise and hard to break down, especially away. It's quite obvious how to beat them and any team in this league, move it quickly.

Thought the longer it went, the more Susaeta grew into it and Hendry was terrific. Luna was great and Atkinson was awesome when he came on.

Would've been great to get a win but, I'll take tonight.

My issue is not starting Atkinson. I think we would’ve beaten them had we backed our system in because the elements were there (fast combine movement, press) and Perth weren’t as strong as last time with Brimmer and without Ikonimidis. 

A 0-0 draw isn’t a terrible result against Perth but I’m disappointed we didn’t really go for it. 

What the fuck is going on with our corners? Do we practice something during the week and then think that is the only thing we can do? 

Last night the short routine thing we did, it's never going to work. We have Delbridge and Hendry in the box, put the thing in there and give them a chance. The corner in about 85th minute when Noone and Atkinson fucked around with it and ended up passing it back to Jamieson for a 30 metre shot which I think is still in orbit, its fucking shit 

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I wonder if we have stumbled into a new formation moving forward. Defence has never looked that good all season.

That lopsided back 4 only worked because Perth had no left winger and had their best player acting as an inside left. Be horribly exposed if they played a left wing.

Delbridge shut Castro out of the game. Playing him in that fashion instead of Atkinson or Galloway was a master stroke, but it won’t work every week.

37 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

So he does not fuck it up.

That must be his first clean sheet for a while

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Did you notice how active Hendry was in organising the defence? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Tactics wise why was Dean playing out so slowly? 
was definitely a coaching directive imo 

is it so we didn’t get caught out by Perth’s press?   

I think that was part of Perth's planning tbh. It looked to me that Castro in particular was trying to get in Deano's view/way everytime, trying to slow him down.

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

That must be his first clean sheet for a while

Did you notice how active Hendry was in organising the defence? 

There was one moment in the 59th minute when we were defending our box and Delbridge was tucked in and Perth a had a man completely free running into the box. Had someone seen the run we would’ve been down 1-0 and Hendry was the only one wise to it and told Delbridge to shift across. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

There was one moment in the 59th minute when we were defending our box and Delbridge was tucked in and Perth a had a man completely free running into the box. Had someone seen the run we would’ve been down 1-0 and Hendry was the only one wise to it and told Delbridge to shift across. 

Yes, that moment was one of the things I had in mind. He could be our new Bart

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think that will actually work for us, Perth are going ti need a lot of squad rotation as they have ACL games as well as an extra HAL game, and, of course, lots of travel

14 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What I find very frustrating in those big games is that if Maclaren isn’t being served regularly he’s goes missing often, lacking the football skills to make the most of these very few balls at his feet. The long balls don’t help him at all. 

Especially against Perth. I can't imagine Grant being as good against the rest of the league as he always seems to be against us.

In isolation, it was a pretty solid performance and it would be nice to be happy with a point, they didn't gain any ground on us, would have taken a point when the ref called a penalty etc. But in the context of the season it's probably another two points thrown away against our closest rival, because we outplayed them last night.