Melbourne Football

Thu Nux- The choicest team un New Zuland, eh bro?

KSK_47

• 4 months later...

When the FFA sit down to sort out the future of the Nix, can they also look at those commentators? Do these guys knows the broadcast travels further than Wellington? Most games if you didn't look at the pictures you'd struggle to figure out 1) if there was an opposition and 2) who that might be.

its like watching bloody Wellington FC TV.

41 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

When the FFA sit down to sort out the future of the Nix, can they also look at those commentators? Do these guys knows the broadcast travels further than Wellington? Most games if you didn't look at the pictures you'd struggle to figure out 1) if there was an opposition and 2) who that might be.

its like watching bloody Wellington FC TV.

As opposed to the Sydney shit we get outta the Fox Sports team (particularly Rudan)?

Edit: fwiw I completely agree about the Wellington commentary, it seems it happens most places

Edited by mattyh001

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Apparently someone is trying to buy their license and move the team to sydney.

Just so we can have a sigh.... 3rd Sydney team.

If that's where the fish are so be it. I don't get the complaining about either city having too many teams. It doesn't hurt Afl/Nrl 

I reckon they should hurry the fuck up with the licence takeover

wellington never seems to grow and never comes close to any final and in addition they don't gain an asian champions league spot if they even win a final.

Get rid of these cunts, and sack those commentators. Kthx.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris p said:

If that's where the fish are so be it. I don't get the complaining about either city having too many teams. It doesn't hurt Afl/Nrl 

Big difference between NRL/AFL clubs and a-league clubs.

You're comparing sports who have always had the market share and had clubs who have been around for 100+ years compared to an upcoming sport in this country, still struggling to get consistent crowds. And now you're talking about diluting the Sydney population even more? Surely theirs 4 or 5 better options out there (like wollongong for example) we could go to instead.

Edited by kingofhearts

Still can't fathom how they're allowed to have unlimited Kiwi's and Australians, yet Kiwi players who sign for us or any other club are considered Visa players. If they were forced to have 18 Kiwis and 5 Visas they'd probably get more support and be developing players for the National team in the process. Win-Win

They've been making up the numbers for the past few years now without ever genuinely having a crack, would rather see the license sold and someone who is prepared to spend some money and provide a decent product because tuning in to watch a rag tag Wellington play every week isn't really desirable.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, kingofhearts said:

Apparently someone is trying to buy their license and move the team to sydney.

Just so we can have a sigh.... 3rd Sydney team.

@kingofhearts I've looked for references to this and can't find any. What's your source please?

I've got a soft spot for the Phoenix - battling on against the odds - and IMO it would be premature to see them fold until FFA/an independent A-League gets its act together on expansion and financial criteria for clubs - and a proper vision and timetable for the future. Otherwise it will be just another as hoc decision.

I've got a fair soft spot for them too, if for no other reason than they actually act decent towards others / aren't made up of a pack scumbags.

Given the way NZ football backs the club, Wellington is financially sustainable - which is more than can be said of other clubs in the competition.

Plus allowing Aussie players to go there unrestricted while limiting the name of Kiwis can only be a good thing for our youth development

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@kingofhearts I've looked for references to this and can't find any. What's your source please?

I've got a soft spot for the Phoenix - battling on against the odds - and IMO it would be premature to see them fold until FFA/an independent A-League gets its act together on expansion and financial criteria for clubs - and a proper vision and timetable for the future. Otherwise it will be just another as hoc decision.

Actually thinking about it I've got a soft spot for them also. And thinking about more   (which is dangerous ) its probably because they are shit and don't have a realistic chance of ever becoming a true contender and therefore never directly threatening us.

As as such if they can't improve or bare minimum look like they can improve  (Newcastle and Mariners ) then as others suggested go and give the license to another group that can.

I don't have an issue with a team from New Zealand but in its current situation it isn't doing anything apart from making up a 5th fixture in a pretty boring league. 

Edited by Jovan

I would hate to see Wellington 'lose' their licence. I wouldn't be opposed to FFA buying back the licence at a fair value and then selling it to another consortium, but I think it is absolutely important that the look of investing money and come out the other side with nothing (due to an FFA decision) is avoided.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

image.thumb.png.172ad985b313c0146e05d5a6743ffb8f.png

I doubt how true it is, these cunts are about as reliable as me when it comes to telling inside info, but i thought it was interesting nevertheless

15 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

There should not be one NZ team. There should be zero or two. #NZderbybro?

Pretty well where I stand. Having a token Kiwi team is never going to last long-term, who are the fans actually going to want to beat each season? Although it's going to be hard to replicate the ferocity and passion of the 'distance derby'...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackout said:

Pretty well where I stand. Having a token Kiwi team is never going to last long-term, who are the fans actually going to want to beat each season? Although it's going to be hard to replicate the ferocity and passion of the 'distance derby'...

Basically every Aussie team ? kiwis always have an axe to grind and rightly so. they're never going to be Australias equal 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A third new team could enter the A-League in 2020 with the demise of Wellington Phoenix seemingly inevitable unless the club drastically improves its off-field performance.

The formal commencement of the expansion process has added further pressure on the Phoenix, whose licence agreement expires at the end of season 2019-20 - the same season when two new teams will join the competition.

Further extensions will only occur if the club hits certain ‘metrics’ around attendances and increased broadcast rights, but not even Phoenix co-owner Gareth Morgan is optimistic about reaching them.

If they don’t, it paves the way for another expansion outfit to replace the Phoenix in season 2020-21.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/wellington-phoenix-in-danger-as-aleague-boss-greg-orourke-says-expansion-is-a-must/news-story/321396a7cffe740ec29fe59a61c7388e?nk=486c2f0614a9ca6e679d93bbbbfbf665-1522805256

Has probably been on the cards for a while - but you'd have to think that this is probably the death knell for the Nix.

21 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Yep as much as i like them they are in huge trouble and the time has probably come.

I wouldnt pull the pin on them completely, but i'd def pull all financial support and leave it in their hands, IMO they should get none of the aus TV revenue or financial support, and FFNZ need to prop them up if they want to stay here. As such they'd be allowed their own tv deal in NZ and retain the money they get from that. They can be bottom of the table every year if they want, as long as they dont take FFA resources. 

If FFNZ pull their finger out and fund them, which imo is in NZ football's best interest, then they are more than welcome to stay here, but not at the expense of Aus football.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yep as much as i like them they are in huge trouble and the time has probably come.

I wouldnt pull the pin on them completely, but i'd def pull all financial support and leave it in their hands, IMO they should get none of the aus TV revenue or financial support, and FFNZ need to prop them up if they want to stay here. As such they'd be allowed their own tv deal in NZ and retain the money they get from that. They can be bottom of the table every year if they want, as long as they dont take FFA resources. 

If FFNZ pull their finger out and fund them, which imo is in NZ football's best interest, then they are more than welcome to stay here, but not at the expense of Aus football.

Isn't that a bit of a double standard? They have paid for a licence to participate the FFA-controlled A-League and it seems to me that therefore they should be entitled to the same financial support from FFA that the other member clubs of that league enjoy (whatever that is).

If the A-League were run independently of FFA then IMO it would be fair to do as you suggest, but not under the present set-up.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't that a bit of a double standard? They have paid for a licence to participate the FFA-controlled A-League and it seems to me that therefore they should be entitled to the same financial support from FFA that the other member clubs of that league enjoy (whatever that is).

If the A-League were run independently of FFA then IMO it would be fair to do as you suggest, but not under the present set-up.

It is, but its also a double standard that they play in the league outside if their jurisdiction. If their licence is to be terminated at the end of next year anyway, well then its not really shortchanging them.
Essentially if the financial burden on the other clubs and FFA is lifted, then i think its a good thing they are in the comp, regardless of whether they sit on top of the table or the bottom. Now i suspect that FFNZ won't give them the required support and they'll fold, and if thats the case so be it, Aus football should not be required to prop them up when they could be doing it for another Aus club instead.

I'm a big supporter of the Nix and want them to stay in the comp long term, but they can't keep doing it on the Aus bank roll; NZ have to put in if they want to have a pathway for their players in a reasonable comp.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what financial support do they get? 

My understanding (happy to be proved wrong) is that Wellington only get broadcasting payout ($3 MIL or whatever it is) that is specifcally allocated to all clubs to help cover the salary cap.

The Nix, again from what I understand but could be wrong, stand on their own feet otherwise.

The reason I ask is that there are clubs in the A league that don't really add much to broadcasting / commercial deals (CCM definitely, Newcastle somewhat), while other clubs are questionable via financial / ownership stability.

The Nix do have to prove themselves through whatever they bring, but this could easily be a slippery slope to move or close down clubs whenever they are in the shit.

FWIW I'd be sad to see them go. I think they need to get their ducks in a row but more importantly that a strong Wellington team goes to supporting a strong NZ team.

It gives us a (somewhat) competitive nation team on our doorstep for the Socceroos - certainly closer than most other competitive teams in Asia and elsewhere and would help to promote more frequently played domestic Socceroo games (something that goes hand in hand with promoting our local content).

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Out of curiosity, what financial support do they get? 

My understanding (happy to be proved wrong) is that Wellington only get broadcasting payout ($3 MIL or whatever it is) that is specifcally allocated to all clubs to help cover the salary cap.

The Nix, again from what I understand but could be wrong, stand on their own feet otherwise.

The reason I ask is that there are clubs in the A league that don't really add much to broadcasting / commercial deals (CCM definitely, Newcastle somewhat), while other clubs are questionable via financial / ownership stability.

The Nix do have to prove themselves through whatever they bring, but this could easily be a slippery slope to move or close down clubs whenever they are in the shit.

FWIW I'd be sad to see them go. I think they need to get their ducks in a row but more importantly that a strong Wellington team goes to supporting a strong NZ team.

It gives us a (somewhat) competitive nation team on our doorstep for the Socceroos - certainly closer than most other competitive teams in Asia and elsewhere and would help to promote more frequently played domestic Socceroo games (something that goes hand in hand with promoting our local content).

I think thats' probably it too, other than the little bits and pieces FFA likely pay for like balls & umpiring etc. Either way, the argument is that at least with CCM and Newy its Aus football that benefits, even if they are draining the system. Alternatively, that 3m could go to another Australian team and at least be (cynically) wasted there, not to NZ.

I want them to stay absolutely, but at their own, and FFNZ's expense.

• 1 month later...